* The 10th annual Evening of Classics returns on Friday at 7 p.m. at the Soldotna Christ Lutheran Church. Local musicians such as Tammy Vollom-Matturro, Audra Faris, Emily Grossman, Natasha Vaissenberg, Crista Cady, Maria Allison, Steve Hileman, Robert Thompson, Jeanne Duhan, Garrett Mayer and many others will perform great works of music in solos and ensembles in a fundraising concert for the Kenai Peninsula Orchestra. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for youth at the door.
* The Peninsula Art Guild and the Kenai River Council on the Arts invite artists and art lovers to the First Thursday Artists Reception from 6-8 p.m.at the Kenai Fine Arts Center for potter Laura Faeo’s exhibit “Intuitions” in Gallery One and the “Day of the Dead Exhibit” in Gallery Too. Guitarist J. D. Uponen will enhance the event with his music. For more information call 283-7040.
Events and Exhibits
* An opening reception for “Equinox,” a photography exhibit curated by Joe Kashi, is Sunday from 2-4 p.m. Music by David Edwards-Smith. See the work of Joe Kashi, William Heath, Sue Biggs and Rick Cupp through Nov. 7 at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center. Winter hours are Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. For more information, call 907-283-1991.
* An exhibit of faculty work runs through Oct. 5 in the Gary Freeburg Gallery at Kenai Peninsula College. Gallery hours are 8:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday.
* “Survival Series,” an exhibit by Virginia artist Dymphna De Wild, will open in the Gary L. Freeburg Gallery with a recpetion for the artist from 4:30-6 p.m. Oct. 9. The exhibit will run through Nov. 5. “Survival Series” explores the artist’s fascination with “outposts.”
* Peninsula Artists in Motion Dance Company’s seventh annual concert is 7 p.m. Oct. 26 and 27 at the Renee C. Henderson Auditorium. Pre-purchased tickets are available at River City Books in Soldotna for $12/adult, $8 students/seniors, children 5 and under free. Tickets will also be available at the door for $15/adult, $10/students/seniors, children 5 and under free. Guest artists include Encore Dance Academy, Anchorage Ballet, Momentum Dance Collective, Pulse Dance Company and Kammi O. This year’s event includes a special fashion presentation by Kat’s Closet with hair and make-up by Jasmin’s Hair Design.
* The Performing Arts Society presents Trio Rara Avis, an Alaska chamber group featuring Roxann Selland Berry, flute; Kathryn Hoffer, violin; and Maria Allison, piano, on Oct.13 at 7:30 p.m. at Soldotna Christ Lutheran Church.
* An all acoustic jam takes place at the Kenai Senior Center from 7 to 10 p.m. on Thursdays.
* The 907 Band will play a smoke-free show at Kenai Joe’s Friday at 9 p.m.
* Veronica’s in Old Town Kenai will host Open Mic from 6:30-9:30 p.m. On Saturday, Veronica’s will have live music with Barb Anderson at 6:30 p.m.
* The Studio Espresso Shop at Spur Highway and Nikiski Avenue in Nikiski hosts an open mic night on Saturdays starting at 7 p.m. Call 776-7655.
* St. Elias Brewing Company has live music Thursdays from 7 to 9 p.m.
* AMVETS Post 4 in the Red Diamond Center holds steel-tip darts at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays; steak dinner from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday; and karaoke at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
* The Bow bar in Kenai has karaoke at 9 p.m. Thursdays and live music Fridays and Saturdays at 10 p.m.
* Hooligans Saloon in Soldotna has poker Tuesdays and Thursdays starting at 5:30 p.m. and live music Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.
* The Duck Inn on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 9 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays.
* Mykel’s in Soldotna has live music by Robb Justice from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Thursdays, and jazz with Dave Unruh and Bob Ramponi from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
* Caribou Family Restaurant in Soldotna has live music by Wally Hyde 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Fridays and 5 to 8 p.m. on Saturdays.
* Main Street Tap and Grill has a Tuesday jam night with Shon, Wednesday karaoke with Mark Gage, Thursday acoustic music with Dave Boyle, live music on Friday and Saturday night with Off the Cuff, Sunday NFL Ticket, and Monday Night Football.
* Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for listings and times.
* Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for listings and times.
Down the Road
* The Pratt Museum in Homer is open Tuesday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m. For more information and a schedule of events, visit www.prattmuseum.org.
Submissions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is 5 p.m. Mondays.