Soldotna residents John and Carol Cook celebrted their 60th diamond anniversary on Nov. 22, while visiting family in Seattle.
John and Carol met in Anchorage Alaska on a blind date in 1952. John worked for Chugach Electric as a lineman and Carol was visiting a sister who lived in Anchorage. When Carol had to return to Seattle, John drove the Alcan to Seattle and proposed marriage. They were married at Denny Way Lutheran Church in Seattle on Nov. 22, 1952. After a traveling honeymoon where they visited John’s birthplace of Stuebenville, Ohio, and Carol’s relatives in Minnesota, they returned to Alaska and made Anchorage their home base.
John also worked for the Alaska Railroad until his rambling ways brought he, Carol and his five daughters to the Kenai Peninsula in 1961 to homestead on Three Johns Road next to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. John and Carol owned and operated Cooks Corner Tesoro in Sterling for 25 years, before retiring to their home in Soldotna. As John always tells his five daughters and 18 grandchildren, “This all started with a blind date.”
Still a rambling man, and with a wife always ready for the next adventure, the couple continue to travel. Their children write, “Our parents’ Alaskan spirit of helping others and living the life they created on their own terms still inspire their grown children.”