• Overcast, light rain
    Overcast, light rain
Home > News > Have you or do you plan to donate to charity through the Pick.Click.Give. program?

18% (50 votes)
82% (222 votes)
Total votes: 272
Jerry
Jerry 02/07/12 - 11:46 am
That would be a big no! My

That would be a big no!
My wife & i pick, click and give $thousands each year, those that we choose, not the ones picked by the State.
I'm sure that there are worthy charities on the State list, but we will decide which we give to without the help of the State thanks for asking though.

If any of ya want to give to help Jerry's kids & grand kids let me know.

cbeard
cbeard 02/07/12 - 11:01 am
Giving to charities is good

Giving to charities is good but you need to do your research. I'm completely cynical about most of the charities Pick Click Give offers and now that people are more aware of the irony of the phrase "non-profit organization" it's becoming harder to sway potential donors including myself.

I'm all for helping out people in-state, but compared to 99% of the world Alaskans have it pretty good if you believe it or not, and I would rather see some broader scale organizations to donate to in this program. My personal favorite is Doctors Without Borders who provide medical care in all war zones and all disaster areas without being religiously affiliated and show favoritism to places with more "converts" like many church-funded medical groups do.

Jerry
Jerry 02/07/12 - 12:45 pm
I agree cbeard there are many

I agree cbeard there are many GR8 charities that aid the sicks physical needs.
Take for instance the Komen Breast canser foundation, its a GR8 aid to help women fight a major killer of OUR loved ones.

We use to support them, but OOPS! it seems that the Komen foundation is a major donor to the UN-Planned Parenthood, an organization that helps women with their rights of free choice.
That free choice is the right to murder the babies in the womb, the womb of their mothers, the place that should be the safest place on earth for them.

America's free choice murders babies to the tune of 6000+ a day, thats over 50 Million babies since 1973.
Ever think who much these babies would have aided in Americas economies with taxes paid as well as many other forms of helping America?

It is hard to know just exactly which organization is a good one to donate too, take for instance the many organizations asking for aid to Israel, that sounds like a GR8 thing to do, and is, and i do.
There is only one problem with not searching out charities to Israel, and that is many are actually to those people that are Occuping Israeli lands, people with NO history until the Governments aided media and helped them, the PLO with the continual lies they spread saying they are a nation.
The PLO uses false ads, and lies to get people to think they are aiding Israel, just like they use false info for the spreading of their being a people, nation, a nation with NO History period.
Many buy into this aiding of the PLO with out knowing whats true or false when research would reveal it all, just as True History always does.

Search out what is true or false before making any judgements of who to support or not support, even though its sometimes hidden far from view.

Many need help & its gonna get alot worse real soon, so please don't stop helping others as the needs arise & your are able to do so.
But! Beware of any influance by State or Govts, whether good or bad.

cbeard
cbeard 02/07/12 - 01:40 pm

Thank you for turning this thread into a maniac anti-abortion rant. We all needed that like rugburn.

bluffbunny
bluffbunny 02/07/12 - 12:34 pm
I only donate my few

I only donate my few disposable $$$ to groups that support veterans and their families.
Having been a 'military brat' I have seen how poorly our vets are treated- in many cases more is done to 'assist' illegal immigrants than the people who spend time away from their country and their family to defend us.
Many frail, old, sick veterans must fight for years, to get their benefits from the VA, whose motto appears to be 'LIE AND DENY UNTIL YOU DIE".
I am sure many of those on the list are worthy, but I will choose those who help veterans.

Jerry
Jerry 02/07/12 - 01:00 pm
Thanks for that about Vets,

Thanks for that about Vets, as my son, a Skyhigh grad. is in Afgan on one of his many deployements of Iraq & Afgan during his 15 years of military, as we type.
The Govt. past & present could care less about American citizines as we look back & forward, its all about total rule & distruction to those not chosen for Utopia, and many are lied to and used with no reguard for life & death of the masses.

All the world is about to be thrust into a world wide economic crash & WWIII for control of every one & every thing, and if one does not agree to the coming OWO Unions rules, then its not gonna be good for them.

Stock up on supplies now to help a few, as many will not listen or see the coming troubles and will need to be helped when that trouble comes.

justamom
justamom 02/07/12 - 01:35 pm
I don't give at church, I

I don't give at church, I don't give to large charities, and I particularily hate it when Safeway is begging. I DO, however, give generously to local schools so kids can have breakfast, gifts at Christmas time, a warm coat to wear (along with boots, hats, gloves, etc). This way, I know my money is doing some good in the community and not going to the CEO of some large organization.

jlmh
jlmh 02/09/12 - 03:23 am
The Pick-Click-Give program

The Pick-Click-Give program is just another in-your-face charity that tries to lure people into spontaneous giving when money is present. The time to give is not the instant you acquire money. The choice of what to support should not depend on who is standing there with their hands out. This kind of charity pushing is obnoxious. A person should decide if and how much to give in October, when they know how much they are getting from dividends and what their own financial situation is. A person should decide to support a cause after careful consideration of local or worldwide needs, and personal research into how their contribution helps. It should be thoughtful and wise, not spontaneous and guilt-driven.

Alaskans need to remember that they forfeited their subsurface rights to the oil and mining companies in exchange for these dividends. Oil companies agreed to the permanent fund in exchange for these valuable rights. That's the deal. The idea that it's "free money" so we should loot it to pay for government, or spend it on "good things" like education and charities, is misguided. It belongs to every Alaskan who doesn't have subsurface rights, in lieu of those rights, and not to whatever popular new cause that some politicians want to push. So spend it as you please, because even if you didn't "earn" it per se, you did make a sacrifice for it.

cbeard
cbeard 02/09/12 - 11:14 am
That's also a very good

That's also a very good point. Alaskans need to be reminded by an independent campaign of why we have the PFD and what the expense of having it comes from, not patronizingly told how "lucky" we are and where to spend it like new cars, appliances, and especially fledgling mismanaged small beans in state "non-profits".