• Few clouds
    Few clouds

Alaska pride parade canceled after fatal crash

Posted: June 25, 2011 - 9:04pm  |  Updated: December 13, 2011 - 12:14pm
Floats intended to be driven in the annual gay pride parade in Anchorage, Alaska, sit idle in a city park on Saturday, June 25, 2011. The parade was canceled Saturday morning after a vehicle in the parade struck and killed a person.   AP Photo/Mark Thiessen
AP Photo/Mark Thiessen

ANCHORAGE (AP) - A gay pride parade in downtown Anchorage on Saturday was canceled after a convertible carrying the grand marshal fatally struck a man, authorities said.

Anchorage police Lt. Dave Parker said the 50-year-old man who was killed was participating in the Celebrating Diversity Parade. He said the car accelerated and ran over the man just minutes after the parade scheduled for 11 a.m. started.

Officers "immediately started CPR, but were not able to revive him," Parker said. "He was declared deceased at the scene."

Police questioned the driver and authorities were trying to determine whether the collision was caused by mechanical failure or driver error. There was no indication that alcohol was involved.

Grand marshal Doug Frank told the Anchorage Daily News that the convertible's driver had trouble with the car's accelerator.

"It ran over a person, totally over," Frank said, sobbing. "This went from one of the best days of my life to the worst."

Organizers told parade-watchers to head to a nearby park where the Alaska PrideFest was taking place. An announcer urged people to clear the parade area to make way for emergency vehicles and police cars. People later held a brief prayer ceremony at the festival.

"It should be a day we're celebrating our diversity, not having to focus on the death of anyone, especially one of our own," said Michael French, who was working at one of the festival's booths.

akmscott
akmscott 06/26/11 - 01:39 pm
What a waste of human life

What a waste of human life for such a stupid reason!What the heck are they so proud of?If we have a straight parade we would be bigots!This country needs to take a step back and quit catering to every stupid special interest!

cbeard
cbeard 06/27/11 - 10:04 am
Huh?

I hardly think equal rights for EVERYBODY is a "special interest". Gay Alaskans and Americans, and the near half billion gays in the world, deserve marriage equality. Religion and religious authorities have no place in the marriage debate because it's a civil contract already, and nobody will recognize your marriage without the license from the state. Not other denominations of the church, not other religions, and definitely not other states or countries.

Homosexuality exists in hundreds and hundreds of animal species to provide support to the community and raise children without overpopulating past food source limits.

Homophobia exists in only one species: humans.

pmj
pmj 06/27/11 - 10:32 am
God created man in "His own Image"...hmmmm.

This country was based and created on the belief of the Almighty God. What a shame it is to not recognize that God made us seperate from the animals creating man as a "living soul".

drudge
drudge 06/27/11 - 03:07 pm
Somebody died. Have some sympathy.

@akmscott: Celebrating that which makes us different is not "such a stupid reason".. We are NOT all the same. This has nothing to do with "special interests", and your argument appears to be made of ticky-tacky.

@pmj: I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Since you believe that "God created man in His own image", doesn't that mean that being gay is just being the creature that God created, following the path that He created?

also @pmj: Regardless of what this country was "created on", times have changed. It's not the 1700's anymore, slavery is abolished, women have equal rights, and people should no longer have to live in fear and secrecy over their natural biological design.

@cbeard: Thank you for reminding all of us that we are still animals. We may be intelligent, but that doesn't mean that everything we do is morally or ethically right.

keeneye
keeneye 06/27/11 - 04:17 pm
my sympathy-however

"their natural biological design."????
If it was natural to be gay, how on earth would the human animal procreate?

drudge
drudge 06/27/11 - 04:46 pm
Re: Procreation

@keeneye: You may want to grab your Visine so you can see more clearly..

The world isn't Black & White. It's made of infinitely varying shades of gray. Trying to categorize everything into two polar extremes is a silly way to view things. The world is far more complex than simply Yes/No, Good/Bad, and White/Black.

Obviously, any given species isn't going to be 100% homosexual. Nor will it be 100% heterosexual. Procreation still happens.

Some people are gay. Get over it.

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 06/27/11 - 05:26 pm
I believe their point was

that human homosexuals are the only ones prancing around demanding attention SOLELY for the fact that they're homosexual. What folks do in their own home is their own business, as long as it's not hurting anyone else. You have to admit though, that prancing and dancing around, waving your "differences" in the faces of others does NOT help an "organizations" cause. Perhaps contributing to society en mass in the name of an organization would be better received by the populace than the current parading. After all, isn't that what they're looking for; acceptance?

Some people find overt homosexuality offensive. Get over it.

cbeard
cbeard 06/27/11 - 07:42 pm
@ManInBlack

Well, I find overt heterosexuality to be offensive. Childmaking needs to be kept as secret as possible, and I do not appreciate knowing about people's opposite sex partners. It is morally wrong for childmaking to warrant marriage in my opinion. And I don't want to see ANY straight people kissing or holding hands. It's revolting. They should go back to somewhere more straight.

Now how do you feel?

Gays have had to endure "heterosexual assumption" their whole lives and pride month is about throwing it in your face, the very thing you are annoyed by, to remind you that gays don't "come from somewhere else" or "go somewhere else". We come from and are raised everywhere by all types of people, live normal lives, have relationships, and pay taxes like you, and for us to not have equal rights federally and statewide is a total and complete embarrassment that warrants shame on anybody actively or passively participating in discrimination.

Eat it!

spwright 06/28/11 - 06:48 am
Our Military & Social Change 6/28/11

Tue 6/28/11
Well once again, Our Military Men & Women are proving to the world that They are the Best of Mankind.

As the Rest of America rants & raves, fights & Kills each other over Social Differences
Our Military has the common sense to accept these differences & then enforce policy to accept these changes.

Seems that Only the Ole Farts & Bible Thumpers have a problem with these changes.
Believe as I Believe or I Will Kill You !

Those of the Younger Generations really don't consider this to be a serious issue & wonder What All the Fuss is About ?

SPW "Airborne"

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 06/28/11 - 07:45 am
@cbeard

Hate to be the bearer of "bad news", but your arguments are laughable. Childmaking IS kept "as secret as possible", i.e.; where in public do you see baby making going on? Holding hands and kissing in public happens on both sides of the fence, anyone offended by it better just stay home. As for the funniest part of your diatribe, the vast and overwhelming portion of the human race is heterosexual, so your little hissy fit about "going back to somewhere more straight" is HILLARIOUS, and shows the maturity level you and yours operate at.

No one would know your sexual preference walking down the street, seeing you in a restaurant, interacting with you at your place of work, etc. unless YOU make them aware, which is what homosexuals seem to feel they must do..... How "offended" would the homosexual community be if there were to be a "heterosexual pride parade"? As for your feelings of obligation to "throw your homosexuality in others faces", many people see it no differently than if skinheads "threw it in their faces", or NAMBLA "threw it in their faces", or the opposing political party "threw it in their faces". Once again, the homosexual community would find much more of the acceptance they so desperately seek if they were to use the same energy in a creative and contributory fashion as opposed to "in your face".

Now get your panties out of a wad and do something positive!

keeneye
keeneye 06/28/11 - 09:47 am
drudge

"Some people are gay. Get over it."

My sight and mind are clear. But, I am color blind. So I know all about shades of gray.....

I and everyone else in the world are aware that there are gay people.(see ManInBlack) I posed a question that you did not answer, but was more than willing to come out gnashing your teeth! I simply do not care if you or anyone else is gay. It is my belief that it is a choice, not a "biological design".

you have a wonderful day!!

cbeard
cbeard 06/28/11 - 09:52 am
@ManInBlack

Guess what, I'm going to show affection to my same sex partner ANYWHERE. The fact that you can't handle that makes you look ridiculous. "Oh no, two men kissing! HELP ME JESUS I'M DYIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LAWDY LAWDY! They throwin' it in my face! I think I got two men's spit on me! Oh help me Jesus! Don't make me join in!"

It's in your best interests for you to become more educated, and I really like your association of gays with pedophiles, which is what is truly entertaining as the ratio of straight pedophiles to gay pedophiles is higher than the ratio of all straight people to all gay people (1/18 people are openly gay while only 1/25 pedophiles are openly gay)

What is REALLY funny is that you probably have gay acquaintances or relatives, and they and the people who aren't bigoted and support them probably avoid you like the plague, especially if you're one of those many people who just move to Alaska to try to escape their reality.

Am I hitting the nail on the head here or what?

cbeard
cbeard 06/28/11 - 10:09 am
@keeneye

Not everybody needs to procreate. If everybody on the planet who was able to procreated today, we wouldn't have enough food to eat next YEAR. We are already facing a huge challenge with food, and the price of food is likely to triple within our lifetime without responsible population control, i.e. not having a ton of children, adopting rather than birthing, preventing gender preferences for babies in different cultures (including here at home), and here's the biggest one: THOROUGH SEXUAL EDUCATION THAT DOES NOT USE THE WORD "ABSTINENCE"

Abstinence only delays physiological and psychological processes needed in the maturation cycle. Human sexuality is a social trait as much as a biological, and teens need support and access to education about safe sexual practices. And I'm not just talking about condoms. They need to know the politics of a sexual relationship, how it's not equivalent to an emotional relationship, sexual boundaries between partners, being aware of STDs before the fact and not after, etc. etc.

Without this type of thorough education, which no district in Alaska provides, young adults only have the social education of maybe a 15 year old.

Of all developed nations, the United States is the only one which has "abstinence only" sexual education as the result of a pseudo-religious political coup.

Of all developed nations, the United States has nearly double the rate of teen pregnancies and teen STD transmissions.

Amazing, isn't it?

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 06/28/11 - 12:13 pm
@cbeard

You're obviously one of those angry homosexuals. You know, the ones who have failed so much in everything that it HAS to be because they're gay. I pity you, truly I do. Nowhere in my response did I say that showing affection offends me.... but it obviously offends you. Too bad. You again try making a connection that doesn't exist, in the examples I gave for "comparison", the problem with your "logic" (or lack thereof) is that I was comparing the "in your face" aspect of these groups (why didn't you home in on the skinheads or the political parties....?). Try taking off your narrow sighted hate shades and "victim" cloak for awhile and you may see that if you didn't flaunt your sexual preference, life would be easier for you. REREAD my statements and see if your pointy head can wrap itself around the fact that no one has an issue if you're homosexual but YOU, unless you start "throwing in their faces".

FYI, I DO have homosexual friends, and have been the FIRST one to defend them the few times the haters have made themselves known. Interestingly enough, these same friends DESPISE the "pride parades, and view them as a hinderance to the cause of homosexual equality for the very same reasons I stated before. As for your ASSumption about my having moved here to "escape homosexuals", it is the homosexuals who have moved HERE to escape (or hide from) society. I say this with certainty, as the homosexual population on the peninsula has exponentially increased for the last 20 years or so of the nigh on 55 years I've lived here.

A swing and a miss, a swing and a miss..... you're batting zero my angry homosexual friend. Best of luck to you in your pitiable, lonely, narrow minded existence.

cbeard
cbeard 06/28/11 - 01:08 pm
@ManInBlack

I knew I got it right. :)

As for your homosexual "friends" I know exactly who you are talking about. Most gays on the peninsula are insular, insecure, and cut off from society and a reliable gay-friendly community. They feign anti-gay attitudes to draw attention away from themselves because they think that's how they have to get by in a place full of ignorant bigots (like you), and it's really quite embarrassing. No wonder they are your friends, you're all rather at home being embarrassing and ignorant with each other! Like I said earlier, they likely try to just get by with you but really are driven to the verge of insanity having to listen to your geriatric tirades. But then again, I could care less about gay people who are too selfish and childish to actually stand up for themselves and their rights.

As for the gay population "increasing", I was born and raised here and so were most gay people on the peninsula. Clearly you are a cranky retiree who lives off the dime of others or else you wouldn't be so quick to point out how "pathetic" I am in order to divert the attention (similar as above). I have a college education, full time job, a supportive family, have lived abroad, and I'm able to travel to nearly any place I want at the drop of a hat. If that's pathetic to you then bravo! You've got it! Pathetic ol' me with mah high-falutin' edumacation n' such!

Maybe you should pack up your bags and go to some place where being gay and showing affection of any kind is illegal. Saudi Arabia is a great place for that I've heard! I went to college with some students who visited from there, I'll be glad to get them in contact with you to arrange your move.

You'll fit right in, I promise. :)

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 06/28/11 - 02:25 pm
Get over it!

OK folks, I view this is a company putting on their voice mail to "Press 1 for English!" If your in America where the language is English then learn it or shut the heck up! If your so proud of going around and kissing and hugging your male lover then why don't you move both of you to one of those lovely Muslim countries in the Middle East and sit around and eat dates and figs all day. Since you really don't have a place here in our country.

Then again with so many marraiges ending in Divorce it would make for more television programming choices when "Gay Divorce Court" started it's run. Can you imagine someone on the stand saying, "I can home from a hard day at work and found my partner packing the fudge of our best friend instead of making me dinner.....I want to divorce his sorry butt and ask for $3,000 a month in support payments!"

cbeard
cbeard 06/28/11 - 04:58 pm
@cheapersmokes

There is no such thing as a "gay divorce court". It's called "divorce court." Relationships are the same for everybody. Somebody will always being trying to screw somebody. ;)

I have more of a right to be here than you, actually. Obviously you don't share the American values of freedom and equality. All you want to do is chime in and complain about gay people, likely because one of several things.

Let's take a look at the WHEEL OF POSSIBILITIES! (Cue 70's game show music!)

1. You're a religious freak who thinks a Frankenstein's monster made up of various Christian denominations should intervene on state affairs, probably because daddy said so when you were a kid. (Please see: Middle East-style governance.)

2. You're an old burnout who has a terrible marriage and kids they never really wanted just because they came from a family and place that expects it out of you 'just because'. (Please see: "Shoulda woulda coulda, now I'm angry at those who did!")

3. You're secretly gay yourself and the only way to hide your perceived deep shame is to virulently lash out at gay people. (Please see: Most people who are the most homophobic are actually homosexual themselves.)

4. You're somebody who was sexually abused by somebody of the same sex and never sought the proper avenues to resolve their angst and trauma via counselling, confrontation, or other therapeutic methods. (Please see: "I'm a big angry redneck and I'mma scarrrred o'doctors! They ain't messin' with mah head!")

5. Somebody close to you, such as a child, has come out as gay to you and you are so intent on bigotry you've lost your relationship with them and now have to become even MORE bigoted to 'save face' to hide your parental shame for failing to support them. (Please see: Nobody will know I'm a deadbeat parent with the emotional tenacity of a sack of potatoes now! Yahahaha!)

6. You're preoccupied with sex in every way as a result of physical trauma, STD, or inability to perform, and because of your obsession just seeing gay people will remind you of the fact that gays have sex together and you feel the need to boast to the world how "not gay" you are for fear of the slightly association will result in your lack of "gamesmanship". (Please see: I'm a LADIES man!)

7. You're one of the many people who blames gays for AIDS, despite AIDS becoming quickly spread through many many many more straight people in all manner of places from the USA, Europe, and the classic 3rd world nations. (Please see: Ewwww! Cooties!)

Wheel of Possibilities! Go Go Go!

Wheel of Possibilities, wherever it stops, nobody knows!

If you don't like gay marriage, then please by all means, don't get one. You'd probably not enjoy it unless you've had practice.

And thanks to every old bigot who posts here for giving me enough material to last ages. XOXOXOXO :)

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 06/29/11 - 11:07 am
cbeard is now on my ignore list!

Folks, I have placed cbeard on my ignore list since he thinks he is a genius but in truth he doesn't know chit! He is wrong on every count on the above posting but you cannot reason with someone who is so obviously tied into his deviant lifestyle. Why do that always have to parade around and take such "Pride" in it is really beyond me. He just cannot seem to accept that the vast majority of the population finds it repulsive for men to pack each others fudge weather it is done in public or in their own homes. That is truly not what God envisioned for the human race. Maybe some drug company somewhere has a pill for him to take to get his body back into balance please ask your Doctor the next time your in for your AIDS testing.

cbeard
cbeard 06/29/11 - 03:22 pm
Mission Accomplished?

Ladies and gentlemen, good supporters of American values. I'd like to announce my recent victory of subduing a bigot into having to proclaim to the world "I don't want to listen to reason or debate; I would prefer to go stick my head in the sand and pretend that Alaska is a straight man-preferring god's country." Unfortunately for this person, ignoring me means I'm just going to get to talk back to everything they say anyways, and it's they who will be without an avenue of rebuttal.

Mind you, this is only a very small step into seeking full equality for gays and lesbians in the nation including here at home on this lovely peninsula (Isn't it nice out today?), but we can definitely take pride in exposing one more discriminator for what they are.

Please take note that it's NOT a goal of mine to simply badger, insult, and fluff up vehement opponents of... well... freedom (although it can provide some minor entertainment, admittedly), but it's quite often that only discourse evoking floods of emotion will bring about legitimate debate and true colors from people who are steadfast and non-confrontational. This is INTENSELY important as Alaskans are the most non-confrontational Americans in the whole union. I'm convinced we even beat Minnesota in that regard.

If I have to insult some folks in an effort to spread knowledge, inspire uninspired youths, and help me fight for my rights to marry and live at home in Alaska then I am going to do it. Watch out! You think the senate race used underhanded tactics and petty name-calling? Then you ain't seen NOTHIN' until you deal with a group of people who are forced to pay more tax individually and pay more for individual insurance because some guy in Washington can't count to 2. That's TWO men, sir, TWO. Not one... Two!

I believe an attainable goal will be for Alaska to embrace same-sex marriage by the year 2020, OR at least be one of the first 20 states in the union to do so. It would be an unprecedented economic boom for industries that aren't the classic mainstays of Alaskan business, and let's face it Alaska's economy is not looking too good. Sure it's holding it's own now, but what else is there to look forward to? Gay marriage would provide an extra large boost the next fiscal year it's enacted, and a reasonably-sized permanent boost every year after that. Whether people know it or not, Alaska is actually quite a popular tourist destination for gay and lesbian travelers from many nations and it would be a great way to fortify that type of tourist with supplemented welcoming attitudes.

I know this will sound tired and drawn out, but Alaska has a ton of housekeeping to do to make up for the near-disaster image wrecking campaigns of Palin and likewise cohorts. Yes we are all smart enough here at home to not jump on that bandwagon, but she's running loose in the rest of the nation and it has an effect on our image. While governor she did do something very admirable for gay rights, she declined to veto the state legislature's attempted overturn on employee gay civil benefits as judged valid by state courts, but she since changed her tune drastically which renders any positive action lukewarm at best.

All in all, these efforts would stand only to solidify Alaskan families, and even create Alaskan families as gays and lesbians who choose not to just "go with the flow" and lead an unrecognized life leave the state to be recognized. Frankly, I've had enough of that.

In closing I have one last piece of trivia. Did you know that in most countries where gay marriage was legalized, divorce rates dropped as a whole? Nobody is sure why this happened over the years, but a likely theory is that the publicity of gay marriage helped straight couples rationalize their own relationships and marriages by having clear examples of what couples with no possible "gender roles by default" are all about.

Chew on that nugget for a bit. :)

Thank you all for listening, - A Kenai Peninsula Gay!

arcticmonkey
arcticmonkey 06/29/11 - 10:18 pm
Wait a minute.

Wow. I hope somebody takes the time to read this, because I feel misrepresented. I have never left a message on an article before, and seldom read the Clarion, but this caught my attention. I was raised on the Kenai, but now live in Europe. I have studied abroad, and have a couple foreign languages under my belt. Half of my friends would even be considered socialist by American standards. Oh yeah, and I'm young and openly gay. That being said, I must stress how much I disagree with @cbeard.

For starters, @ManInBlack's comments were clearly written and the issues he expressed in them were directly avoided by you, cbeard. There was no hateful tone present, nor a reason to throw around strong terms as “bigot”. You really are making the homosexual community look bad by doing this. By stressing the fact that you are gay, you seem to intend to represent the views of the community as a whole. You are entitled to your “educated” opinions, but I think it’s only fair to point out that you haven’t achieved any of your stated goals.

You say it’s not your goal to “badger, insult, and fluff up”, but this is exactly what you have accomplished. You say your goal is for Alaskans to embrace same-sex marriage by 2020? Well, you just pushed that back a few years. Why would anyone support you, who bullied them by claiming that they were either a bigot, sexually abused as a child, or a “religious freak”, if they didn't agree with your views? You even go as far as calling gay men who disagree with your views "selfish" and "childish". I’m sorry, but the religious “freaks” invented the concept of marriage. Either work with them, or around them. Unfair that we have to work for equality? You bet. But lower salaries for women are also unfair. Starving people in developing countries are not being treated fairly either. Political prisoners all over the world experience life as being unfair, but this is simply not a reason to treat others with disrespect, as you have done. I personally would not support a women who called me a "bigot" before hearing me out, so why do you expect people to put up with your name calling? What is your definition of "selfish"?

Also, as @drudge pointed out, everything in life comes in different shades of grey. The effectiveness of “Gay Pride” is the same. The effect in Alaska is totally different than in, say, Amsterdam, where being gay is completely supported and tolerated, almost universally, meaning that most straight people join in the fun too. Obviously, that cannot be said of Alaska. Unfortunately, the only way to bring about positive change in this case is to adjust to your environment and work in small, positive steps, instead of so selfishly propagating your own agenda. Talk about a “religious freak”.

If you think that people are born gay, or have no choice in the matter, then why do we need “gay pride” to prove ourselves? I was born white, should I have a “white pride parade”? I understand that we have to fight for our equality and rights, but you don’t earn respect by labeling all homosexual men and women as different than straight men and women, giving them a special parade, and expecting your current community to swallow it. This works better in a community preconditioned to accept the parade.

Anyway, thank you for your views ManInBlack.

And cbeard - here is something for you to keep in mind. Positive action brings about positive change. Nobody should have to remind a grown man that two wrongs don't make a right.

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 06/30/11 - 10:29 am
@arcticmonkey

Thank YOU for your well reasoned, articulate response. I have a feeling that you and I (and MY gay friends) are all on the same page. You make that point with two particular statements; "you don’t earn respect by labeling all homosexual men and women as different than straight men and women" and "Positive action brings about positive change". Those two statements summarize the sentiments of most Americans. I wish you all the best during your stay in Europe.

sunsetlver
sunsetlver 07/01/11 - 02:13 am
I am not sure I understand. I

I am not sure I understand. I thought this article was about an accidental DEATH of a PERSON. This is not a reason to bash Gay people. I read it as a parade, for whatever reason it was being held, being halted due to a death. The death of a person, whether they be Gay or Straight is a horrible thing. People quit your throwing stones at each other and think of the man and his family. Yes, I am "Straight" and yes I have "Gays" in my family, whom I love just as much as the Straight ones.......

spwright 07/01/11 - 06:51 am
Apathy

Fri. 7/1/11
Well I'm trying to understand something here & I'm Puzzled.

Mentioning anything concerning the word Homosexual & there is a huge response w/ numerous comments posted.
Lots of Gay Bashing going on & lots of [filtered word] Off People involved

But comment on Our Troops & Our Fallen nary a word is spoken. Very few to no responses at all on that issue.
What's Up with That ? It's a Mystery to me ?

SPW "Airborne"