Headlight use required in traffic safety corridors

Posted: September 14, 2011 - 8:04am  |  Updated: September 14, 2011 - 3:21pm

All four Highway Safety Corridors in Alaska, including the Sterling Highway between Sterling and Soldotna, have been outfitted with signs which notify motorists that headlights must be used while vehicles are operating on the roadways. The Department of Transportation and Public Facilities spent the past month installing the signs in the corridors. Alaska State Troopers want to inform the public of this new requirement in all the Highway Safety Corridors in hopes of reducing the number of motorist not currently using their headlights in the posted areas.

“This isn’t about writing people tickets,” said Captain Hans Brinke, Commander of B Detachment. “It is about safety. Having lights on allows oncoming traffic to see your vehicle and take appropriate action. Driving with headlights on is one thing motorists can do to reduce the odds of a head on collision.”

State law requires headlights to be on from half an hour after sunset until half an hour before sunrise on all roadways in Alaska. The administrative code also requires headlights to be utilized on all roadways with posted signs requiring the use of headlights.

justamom
justamom 09/14/11 - 08:19 am
Finally!!!

I couldn't be happier about this. I just HATE it when people don't have their lights on when they need to be. The law should not only include the 30 minutes after sunrise and before sunset, but rainy days too! That's the worst!!! And most of the people are driving gray colored cars and it's really hard to see them on the road. Please people, just turn on your lights so we can see you. YOU may be able to see the road, but you need to want to be seen. Thanks.

dagerb
dagerb 09/14/11 - 08:27 am
Proper use of Vehicle lights, as i understand it.

Would like to see awareness of proper vehicle light usage:
1) I'm for the safety corridors and head lights being on.
2) Parking lights are not for driving. (Amber)
3) Fog lights should not be on 24/7.
4) When running with extra driving lights, be on the ball.
5) When on roadside turn headlights off / parking lights on.

drudge
drudge 09/14/11 - 08:55 am

A million times YES!!

Driving home in the rain, visibility is terrible, yet every 3rd or 4th vehicle I see has NO headlights on!

I turn mine down to running lights, then off, back to running lights, then back to headlights.. trying to signal to them that their lights are off. MAYBE one of out of 5 people gets the hint and turns their lights on.

Modern vehicles have automatic headlights. If you own an older one (like mine) you just turn a dial. There's no excuse for driving without your headlights on.

Everybody should be in the habit of checking their headlights.. for the safety of themselves and everybody else!

akal
akal 09/14/11 - 09:52 am
lights at night

yeah at night that's when the lights work best. we do not live in Canada !!! a few years ago the state had the bright idea that lights should be on all the time, it never took off . even the police didn't use them at day time. and if money is at stake it is about the buck.it seems the law enforcement community is looking for ways to rake in more money, all the enforcement in the world will not stop accidents from happening but it will make life a lot harder for those that can't afford the very high fines the state has levied. during hard times this is just more burden for those not making a six figure salary such as state workers. we are heading for a depression people should be trying to help one another not oppress them. I'm sure some people will go nuts over this opinion but since this is a free country I am expressing my feelings over more potential harassment.

northernlights
northernlights 09/14/11 - 11:28 am
Lights at night, free country

The death of a person is more costly than a ticket. Helping one another is turning your lights on when your driving. I would never want to pull out infront of someone and accidently kill them because I did not see them coming. You are precious and your life is worth more than gold. I beleive our law enforcement is looking out for you. Alaska has many dark hours, and way to many times I have seen people driving in the dark only because they forgot to turn thier lights on. Help to save lives up here and remind yourself and your friends turn your lights on! Just like, dont drive drunk. Its a free country, and I am blessed to live here. but I dont want to die at the hands of someone who by their freedome of will refuses to obey the law.

sterlingmom7
sterlingmom7 09/14/11 - 01:12 pm
Headlights

Amen to "justamom". HEADLIGHTS Should be on 100% of the time when driving. Period. NOT fog lights. Fog lights are for FOG. Also the turn signals are for signaling your intentions- not your accomplishments. Now if we can just ban those DANGEROUS rumble strips that cause so many head-ons we'll be on the right track.

drudge
drudge 09/14/11 - 02:18 pm
Re: Rumble strips

You mean the things that wake up sleeping/inattentive drivers so they don't go flying off the road and hit pedestrians and houses?

(Sarcasm) Yeah, those things are soooo dangerous! I know when I'm out walking along the highway, I don't want to hear a vehicle approaching from behind that's about to go off the road and hit me.

(Serious) The only circumstance that they could considered "dangerous" is when the driver over-corrects. But that's really the driver's fault for not paying attention in the first place.

These rumble strips (aka Sleeper Lines) are good for safety. I really don't see how removing them from the side of the road is supposed to prevent people from wandering over the center of the road.

KenaiJames
KenaiJames 09/14/11 - 02:58 pm
Headlight Times

According to State law, lights must be on 1/2 hour AFTER Sunset until 1/2 hour BEFORE Sunrise. Not what the article states. And also: When weather conditions limit visibility to less than 1,000 feet.

Allen
Allen 09/14/11 - 04:52 pm
Yes it is about writing tickets

If having headlights on is so great, then why not educate people, why make it a ticketable offense? I personally don't find headlights on in broad daylight effective in any way. I can see cars coming towards me during daylight hours; if you can't, you should get your eyesight checked or consider not driving because your eyesight is too poor. Maybe the State needs to do an eyesight test in dim light conditions when we get our licenses.

I would like to see the statistics that show that headlights on actually prevents accidents -- I bet there aren't any. I believe that very few head on collisions are affected by headlights or lack of, but instead are caused by driver impairment from drugs, alcohol or falling asleep. To avoid being a victim, make sure you watch the cars coming towards you between Portage and Anchorage, or between Soldotna and the Mystery Hills. That's all. No heavy handed government intervention needed.

denali8
denali8 09/14/11 - 07:01 pm
Wake up allen

all the days are not so clear where vision is not good even w 20/20 eye sight, you may be very young and see so great, as for me i'm an older person and don't need driving glasses and have driven over a million miles, i have not been cited for a moving violaton in over 24 years, now i want to ask why you feel its wrong or bad to use headlights in the day light?
in alot of the day light hours there is fog, over cast,maybe rain or snow,i have a silver vehicle which at times is hard to see, many have dark coloered veicles which are hard to see at times, i drive a commercial vehicle, and have had dumb ppl pull out infront of me, even though i always run w/head lights on. so now remind me why you don't need to use head lights? many times ppl seem not to see a big vehicle even in perfect conditions

denali8
denali8 09/14/11 - 07:17 pm
another thought

do a walk around of your vehicle to insure all the lights work, especiaslly the brake lights, as i'm older n not a quick i can't hit the brakes n then get to the back to see em work,ok that was tongue in cheek, ask someone to check it, or back to a reflective surface like a huge window, make sure all the lights work, lites are good
happy driving all

orionsbow1
orionsbow1 09/15/11 - 07:44 am
Too Confusing

Just exactly what is a "Highway Safety Corridor"? Its too confusing. From Homer to Soldotna I can drive with headlights off. Then I have to turn them on for Soldotna to Sterling, and can turn them off past Sterling and remember to turn them on again when i make the turn for Anchorage.
Lets just require that lights be on at all times.

harleys
harleys 09/15/11 - 11:27 am
Headlights or not!

I drive a commercial vehicle from Kenai to Anchorage 6 nights a week, departing Kenai about 8 pm. and arriving around 4 am. Running your headlights do definitely increase the visibility of the vehicles on the roadway, however, they do absolutely nothing for the people that refuse to drive sensibly and safely! On a normal basis, at least 1 time every evening, I witness some driver out there doing something very stupid! I see or am involved in at least 1 close call every night on the highway. I will have someone pass me totally and completely illegal and unsafe so they can get ahead of me and normally I pull up beside them at a red light when I get to Anchorage. Now they got really far didn't they? When is enough going to be enough? How many people need to be killed or injured out there on the roadway before something is done about it? If I am doing the speed limit, there is always people that seem to find the need or desire to get in front of the big truck no matter what it takes. It absolutely amazes me what people will do to accomplish this. There are people out here on our roadways that will force other cars off of the road to get this accomplished, I have witnessed this right out of my windows on many, many occasions! A lot of people blame this on the tourists and such, the majority of the people I see doing this are Alaska locals! The police think a bigger presence out there on our highways is the answer so they run their "unmarked" cars up and down the roadway. I think the right move would be to run normal marked trooper cars with all the lights and decals that the normal cars have. People definitely watch for the lights and antennas on the normal patrol cars! I see traffic slowing more to one of these marked cars far more often than with the unmarked cars! We have enough to contend with with all the wildlife entering or being on our roadways, we do not need to contend with the careless people with the "I have to be ahead of the next guy" mentality! My opinion, the answer is a costly one but very effective. If things don't change we need 2 lanes flowing each direction with a jersey barrier separating the direction of traffic flow and troopers patrolling each side in different areas. This will definitely stop the crazy head on collisions that are killing and injuring the people on our roadways! There is an answer somewhere, we just need to figure it out!

s2wheel
s2wheel 09/15/11 - 01:17 pm
amen harleys, i have seen

amen harleys, i have seen just what you are talking about, and they are alaska locals not tourest

spwright 09/16/11 - 06:24 pm
Labor Day WeekEnd

Ak State Troopers assigned to HighWay Patrol was increased during the past Labor Day WeekEnd.

0 Fatalities on the Sterling & Seward Highways during Labor Day WeekEnd.

That proves to me that increasing the number of State Troopers assigned to HighWay Patrol SAVES ALASKAN LIVES period end of story. What could be more important than
SAVING LIVES ?

Not enough State Troopers assigned to HighWay Patrol during Late June & all of July. During the "Dip Net Fishery"

9 Alaskan Fatalities on the Sterling & Seward HighWays

More State Trooper HighWay Patrol SAVES LIVES.

SPW "Airborne"

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 09/17/11 - 05:25 am
SPW is "right on!"

SPW is right on in his post that patrol presence drastically reduced fatalities on our roadways. It will also serve to cut down on DUI drivers and just plain careless and inattentative drivers on the roads.

christiwp
-128
christiwp 11/30/11 - 01:52 pm
Hello! I simply wish to give
Unpublished

Hello! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the great info you might have right here on this post. I might be coming again to your blog for more soon.
Sites like chatroulette sex video chat free with strangers speechlessness