• Overcast

Face off: Navarre's vigor

Posted: October 21, 2011 - 7:59am  |  Updated: October 21, 2011 - 8:09am
Back | Next
Mike Navarre  Brian Smith
Brian Smith
Mike Navarre

Mike Navarre is an early riser.

Sometimes he sleeps in until 8 a.m. or maybe 9 a.m. but that’s rare, he said.

“As I have gotten older, I have just not slept as much,” he said with a laugh.

Now, as a candidate for the Kenai Peninsula Borough mayor’s seat, Navarre has an entirely new list of things either keeping him up at night or waking him up earlier and earlier besides the family business.

“Once I wake up and start thinking about things, I have a hard time sleeping in,” he said. “Same thing at night, especially if I have got a forum or something the next day. I am always thinking about what I want to say and how I want to say it. It has gotten better as the campaign has worn on because as campaigns wear on, you get into a theme where you’ve said it enough times.”

The sun hasn’t yet peaked over the mountains, but Navarre is hunting for another cup of coffee. His first cup and a half were guzzled down talking about the Boys and Girls Club and its coming fundraiser with Soldotna Mayor Peter Micciche and others at Louie’s.

“I’ll be back for soup,” he said with a smile as he is handed his morning mocha through his truck window. In the truck’s bed is a stack of his recognizable green campaign yard signs and hanging from the mirror is a sage and citrus air freshener.

He has a love-hate relationship with his work ethic. He said he thrives on staying busy helping run the family’s business affairs, his community involvement, keeping up with his six brothers and three sisters and other extended family and dabbling in state affairs.

But sometimes it can be near overwhelming, he contends.

Navarre isn’t an unfamiliar face to most area residents. He can’t walk across the room at Louie’s without making contact with an acquaintance.

“Hey Mike, how’s the campaign?” a resident inquires.

Some considered Navarre to be the front-runner in a mayoral field that featured a total of six hopefuls — including Soldotna resident Fred Sturman who Navarre will face in the run off election on Oct. 25. Navarre secured just short of 40 percent of the vote on Oct. 4.

He previously served a three-year term as borough mayor starting in 1996, served from 1985 to 1996 in the state legislature and has run the family’s businesses, including several Arby’s and Radio Shack locations, for more than a decade.

But some view him as a career politician and smooth talker in contrast to his competition.

Such a notion, however, is a misguided notion targeted at “trying to find a negative” in his campaign, Navarre said.

“In business and in government, I have made a lot of contacts with people and even the people I sometimes argued with or did not agree with or even were opponents in my career in politics, we get along well,” he said driving to Nikiski as the sun rose. “I get along pretty well with everybody and this career politician thing is more of a attempt at trying to find a negative that is not really there. I have been out of politics for 12 years, so you could say, ‘He is a career businessman’ just as easily as you could say career politician.”

Driving along the Spur Highway, Navarre glanced over.

“This guy here I used to work for once very briefly when I was just out of high school and he was one of the ones that made a lot of money when the oil industry was growing,” he said.

Navarre then stopped at the M&M Market in Nikiski to talk briefly with Felix Martinez, a longtime friend and golfing buddy.

But before he finds Martinez among the store’s frozen foods, he introduces himself to the two women tending to the cash registers.

He said as a naturally shy person, it is at times hard to promote his candidacy to those residents he encounters.

“You have got to force yourself to do it,” he said, noting most people are receptive to his introductions. “Same thing with going door-to-door.”

Although Navarre has found his political voice over the years, such wasn’t the case when he first ran for office.

At 22, he threw in his hat for Kenai City Council, but lost by just a few votes.

After college at 28, Navarre was elected to the state legislature where he had plenty of practice speaking his mind.

“Part of it was to impress my mother,” he said of his political ambitions. “It was a very interesting experience because I am really a fairly shy person. It is hard to get out in front of people and man, public speaking back then was difficult. They give you a two minute opening and you are struggling to find enough to say to cover two minutes.”

His father, George — who was the borough’s second mayor (then called chairman) — was also a driving force behind his public service.

“When I was growing up I had just great respect for my dad and I wanted to be like my dad, right, and he had been in politics for a while,” he said.

His father, who passed away a few years ago, gave him a bit of advice the 55-year-old never forgot.

“When I was going to run for the legislature he said, ‘Well, it is an important job, and it is often a thankless job, but somebody has got to do it and I think that you’d be good at it,’” he said.

On the chance he loses the election to Sturman, Navarre said he will continue running the family business and remain active in the community, but might take the opportunity to cool his heels a bit.

“Before I decided to get into the mayor’s race, I was going to take some time off,” he said. “I have been busy for the last 25 years.”

After stopping to talk oil and gas issues with Micciche at his office in the ConocoPhillips LNG plant, Navarre spoke about what he considers current misunderstandings in the borough.

He feels residents’ frustrations with the federal government are being directed locally. But, he said he would like to help clarify what he feels the borough’s role is and help those who feel they are over taxed understand where their money goes.

When it comes to those emotionally charged issues, he said he wants to do the right thing and justify it, rather than going “with the way the wind is blowing.”

“You can’t just do it because people are upset and demanding it,” he said. “You have to recognize what is the best policy decision because sometimes what is very popular is not the right thing and sometimes what the right thing is isn’t politically popular.”

He said some residents think he is not as “fiscally conservative” as Sturman.

“But rather than call it fiscally conservative or fiscally liberal, I am fiscally responsible,” he said.

“I don’t believe it is about saying you are going to cut taxes and cut government. It is more about you doing a responsible job of managing the borough government and if you are doing a responsible job, I think that the public will accept that.”

Eaglerock50
Eaglerock50 10/21/11 - 01:59 pm
Horrible Legislator

Navarre was a horrible representative in Juneau. He clowned around during committee hearings. He disrespected Peninsula constituents who were not Union members or commercial fishermen. He partnered up with Anchorage and Bush liberals on significant legislation which was directly opposed by our other legislators.

Navarre does not deserve to represent us as mayor. He will just give away the farm to his special interests.

salo@gci.net
salo@gci.net 10/21/11 - 04:33 pm
Navarre. A great legislator!

I have no idea who Eaglerock 50 is, but he is entirely wrong in his evaluation of Representative Mike Navarre. Mike was effective, hardworking and responsive to his constituents during his years in the Alaska Legislature. He was highly respected by his fellow legislators in both major parties. He was often the person that other legislators went to for advice and help in getting things done, and several Governors called on Mike for assistance during his tenure in Juneau.

Calling Mike a "horrible legislator" is exactly the kind of "smear" that I wrote about a couple of weeks ago. Let's set the record straight: Mike Navarre was an effective and well-respected legislator, and the proof is the number of times he was elected to office by the local voters and to leadership positions by his colleagues who worked closely with him. He is fair and equally responsive to people who agree with him and those who have different viewpoints. With many years of public service and recorded comments and votes, there will be fodder for critics. It seems to me the critics of Mike Navarre are reaching for straws. They must either sling "unsubstantiated mud" or criticize his contributors, his friends, or his family.

I hope you vote on October 25th. I also hope you cast your ballot for Navarre. He's the real thing, and most importantly his work for the Boys and Girls Club over the years proves his commitment to the future here on the Kenai Peninsula.

Eaglerock50
Eaglerock50 10/22/11 - 02:00 am
Judy Salo - Liberal Democratic Senator

Yes Judy, we remember your abrasive behavior in Juneau also. Too bad for you that many of us have been around to witness the horrible misrepresentation you and Navarre performed as legislators. Our Peninsula has better representation in Juneau since we got rid of the free spending liberals like you and Mike.

You were (and still are) a big time Union lackey. Thanks to your National Education Association liberal agenda, education levels across the country are falling; meanwhile, Union pensions and health care benefits are bankrupting our local governments.

Shame on whoever decided to publish Judy's original campaign advertisement. A vote for Navarre is a vote for bigger Unions, at the expense of the taxpayer.

Norseman 10/22/11 - 04:02 am
Attacking Judy Salo shows

Attacking Judy Salo shows just how petty, ignorant, and mean some of the people in this community can be.
She was a citizen who was voted into office to represent her constituents. She did a great job while in office.

What I think is disgusting is when people like eaglerock50 hurl insults at good honest hardworking people such as Navarre and Judy Salo.

Grow up.

bob99507
bob99507 10/22/11 - 05:03 pm
norseman

To liberals it's petty,ignorant,mean, and disgusting if someone doesn't agree with them

Kenai
Kenai 10/22/11 - 05:15 pm
To Liberals?

To rational humans, it's petty, ignorant, mean and disgusting when people are being petty, ignorant, mean, and disgusting.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/23/11 - 08:26 am
Self Interest

It appears the ongoing support for Mr. Navarre comes from supporters of the management style and sale of Central Peninsula Hospital.

Judy Salo is on the Board of Directors at Central Peninsula Hospital Corporation. I do not know about her past behavior. She has ignored the management style at CPH. I know, I told her about it.

I don’t think she is pro-union unless it benefits herself. She sure did not care when nurses and others expressed the abusive management style at CPH.

She was one of those individuals who supported the sale of the hospital along with the CEO and other Board Members. They sit above the average person, in the community, all knowing on what is best for us little people.

I appreciate her courage to put her name on her printed words. I wonder why Norseman never does. It appears Norseman always gets others to do what he/she is frightened to do. Boy, I sure know how that works at CPH.

I understand the people behind a non-profit corporation have less protection from the “corporate veil.” I believe this “veil” can be more easily pierced, legally. (see-

I wonder if Ms. Salo is frightened Mr. Sturman will start an independent investigation into the management style at CPH? Can individual members of the Hospital Corporate Board be held legally responsible for the management style at CPH?

Kenai
Kenai 10/23/11 - 09:52 am
Support

I am absolutely opposed to the sale of Central Peninsula Hospital.

I absolutely support Mike Navarre for Borough Mayor.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/23/11 - 01:48 pm
Independent Investigation?

Kenai,

Do you support an independent investigation into the murder/suicide and the management style at CPH just like the Hospital Service Area Board wanted in October 2009?

Do you think Mr. Navarre supports the idea?

Kenai
Kenai 10/23/11 - 04:33 pm
Mr. Southwell

I don't support an investigation that rests on the premise that poor management was to blame for the tragic events of a Thanksgiving passed. I hope that's not what you're suggesting.

I would support an investigation into the management practices, especially the coercion that centered around the struggle the nurses faced.

For me personally, I support Mr. Navarre for his approach to government as a whole. I believe he would take claims of wrongdoing at the hospital seriously, but at the same time he's not likely to throw good money after bad to investigate every rumor or complaint that's aired within the community.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/23/11 - 04:59 pm
Fragile Human Condition

Kenai,
Thank you for your clarity.

If you abuse your spouse enough times they will often fight back in destructive ways.

The human condition is fragile. People, too often, respond in destructive behavior because of their treatment and hopelessness.

Regardless of who becomes mayor, I hope I can count on your support for full implementation of the Anti-bullying policy developed in December of 2009 at CPH. This policy was developed with the help of Dr. Gary Namie. He is a national leader in understanding the ramifications of bullying in the workplace.

See- http://www.workplacebullying.org/

Unfortunately, I believe money was the motivating factor for rejecting an independent investigation into the murder/suicide.

leewaytooo
2059
leewaytooo 10/24/11 - 04:19 am
liar's poker

repukes treat life as if it were a game of liar's poker, and
they are all in......

i will believe that corporations are "people" when texas
executes one........

Kenai
Kenai 10/24/11 - 07:20 pm
Southwell

I'm leery that you seem to suggest that the events that unfolded at CPH were the fault of CPH management. Please tell me you don't believe that man was justified in his actions.

As for your workplace bullying plan, you have my support. (Not that I'm in any sort of position to affect policy at the hospital.)

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/24/11 - 09:39 pm
Kenai, I am sorry I did not

Kenai,
I am sorry I did not make myself clear. You may be listening to others, instead of seeing what I have said/written for two years now.

I believe, in a civil society, violence against another is never justified unless you are in fear of your life or limb. It is the same standard for police officers. That is why they never shoot someone in the back, unless someone’s life is in danger.

I have never justified the behavior of the shooter at CPH. Humans are fragile and frail. Given a hostile environment (physical or emotional.), we fail to thrive. When a victim of spousal abuse (physical or emotional) strikes back and kills, it is never justified only understood. Laws are passed and support for the victims are created.

After the shooting, I thought senior management would realize how they helped destroy the psychological well being of an employee and he lashed out. Their behavior did not change.

I now recognize that workplace bullying is a national epidemic. At CPH it interferes with good patient care, and the health of the victims. Every once in a while, a victim without the support needed, responds in a violent way. They feel helpless.

With an anti-workplace bullying policy in place, victims could have a way to help themselves.

It is needed at CPH. I am aware of several employees that actually took leave of absences to recover from the bullying. They came to me for help and I gave them a constructive way to recover.

I only wish I went public with the management style in August of 2008. That was my original plan but took advice from others and waited. Perhaps the shooter would have come to me for help, as others have.

After the shooting, I was numb. In January 2009 I went public. I then became the bullying victim. Eventually I was fired for what I know and talked about.

Our hospital is owned by the people in the community. The people can force the changes needed. We stopped the sale of our hospital because of our demand. The change needed is the anti-bullying policy. It was developed in December 2009 and never implemented. It must be implement without change.

This has been a lengthy explanation. I hope you are really interested in the truth and want to change things for the better. It will help keep us safe.

Kenai
Kenai 10/24/11 - 10:36 pm
Thanks Ray

I appreciate the explanation.

I'm curious how CPH can have such a stranglehold on employees to which they're unable to publicly express their grievances and seek relief.

I want to see happen whatever can be done to prevent another tragic occurrence like that from ever shaking this community again.

Norseman 10/25/11 - 07:04 am
hogwash

Don't buy that for one minute. Do not be fooled by Ray's theory on CPH.
All you need to do is spend 5 - 10 minutes google searching Ray Southwell and Militias.
You will find a huge amount of documented factual info on his reputation.

Why he was ever hired at our hospital is what should be investigated. Known ties to domestic extremist militia groups and under constant FBI surveillance should have been the first clue.
Research him and norm olson and you will find many, many reasons why you should evaluate each and every thing they try to do to this community.
These are not genuine public concerned citizens. They have agendas that the vast majority of good hard working, law abiding individuals do not nor will ever agree with.

Just ask yourself if they had never relocated their milita here on how our community would be today. Ask Fairbanks on what they think about Schaffer cox and the militia up there.

Ray and norm belong to an organization that thrives on creating fear and anger. When they spout their anti gov't, anti-social rheteroic long and loud enough, then sooner or later one of their weak minded sheeple act out on it and we then have another oklahoma tragedy. The FBI knows this hence they keep a watchfull eye on all the militias. We should be thankfull that they are doing their job. If not, then we may have well had a huge tragedy unfold up in Fairbanks.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/25/11 - 07:35 am
Kenai, There is a sales

Kenai,
There is a sales technique I read some time ago. “The fear of loss is more powerful than the hope of gain.”

It permeates all of our culture. CPH employees, with the knowledge, of abusive bullying behavior are frightened of losing their jobs. They have seen me and others lose or risk their lively-hood. It keeps them quiet. After all, everything, I have risked (loss) has not changed anything. (hope of gain)

Other employees ignore what has happened to the victims. It is our nature of self interest. As one nurse told me-“I Just want to keep my head down, work and enjoy my life.”

You see-as long as you are not a victim- life is good and we ignore what has happened to others.

After I was fired I filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board. (NLRB)

CPH told the investigative attorney, for the NLRB, everything I said was not true. For months they would say I lied and I would produce the documentation of the facts.

In the end of the investigation, it came down to one issue-my belief that Joseph Marchetti was bullied and retaliated with murder. I cannot prove it. It is my belief. An investigation would show whether my belief is correct or not. I welcome an investigation, CPH does not.

My Union feared the financial loss if I was sued by CPH. They encouraged me to keep quiet. I could not. I would welcome a law suit. With legal action comes the discovery process. (investigation into the murder/suicide).Like many employees, my union did not support me, because of the risk of financial loss.

The NLRB attorney believes I was unjustly fired. He represented me in the Regional Office of the NLRB in Seattle. The regional office refused to judge the case. It was moved to Washington D.C. and I continue to wait on their decision.

I have a new job and am enjoying patient care where senior management supports the nurse’s judgment and knowledge. In fact, it is appreciated and encouraged. What a difference from CPH.

I think management is changing at CPH. It does not matter. The bullying behavior has spread like a cancer within the walls of CPH.

We need the anti-bullying policy implemented, now, unchanged from the original, established in December 2009.

That is all I want.

I continue to think about the young-pregnant- mother-nurse- friend who was at risk of harm that fateful day. She and her unborn child could have been killed in X-ray, just one day before Thanksgiving 2008.

Thanks for showing an interest. I needed to express my experiences and thoughts.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/25/11 - 08:12 am
Bullying Technique

Kenai,
Norseman uses bullying techniques to undermine the truth.

Research Dr. Namies work at http://www.workplacebullying.org/

I have discovered, at CPH, a consistent senior management behavior. It works quite well. Employees see it and are fearful of it.

If you oppose the direction of management, they isolate you and attack. They will find personal information about you and undermine what you are saying.

It happened to the radiologist in imaging, x-ray techs, housekeepers, and me. I also believe it happened to Joseph Marchetti.

In fact, senior management smiled at me in person, befriended me and then turned around and printed newspaper articles, off the net, (from the 90’s) and handed it out to the public behind my back. I have that documentation. My dear wife was the first to recognize this behavior towards me by senior management.

Norseman believes I should be embarrassed about my outspoken behavior about the corruption in government. I am not. Feel free to Google my name. You could spend hours reading everything written.

If I am such a bad person, how is it I once again passed a background check to care for the sick and injured on the peninsula? I can document that fact, from the State, in a letter sent to me.

Please ignore my background and understand Bullying in the workplace.

We all need the protection from bullying at CPH.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 10/25/11 - 08:14 am
Unions

Mr Southwell's experience with unions and the NLRB mirrors my own. I was asked to become a Business Agent for my Teamsters local and instead of taking the position I had the union put into trusteeship and the person who offered me the job was removed from office. He sued me and the officers of the union for more than $350,000 and the Judge tossed it out of court as a frivilous lawsuit and chewed out his attorney for wasting the courts time. While unions served their place in the early parts of the last century they only now serve to collect dues from the members and as long as that continues they are very happy. It also seems the NLRB takes payoffs from the highest bidder for their rulings so you can't expect any justice their either. As to him being a member of a militia, I think most of will wish we were members if Obama continues on his path of destruction of this country. I am not familiar with any militia except to say what I have heard they have some very radical ideas that they need to think over very carefully. With Homeland Security all of us are probably on an FBI watch list. Now get out and vote your heart's feelings and forget about all of the negative comments directed to either candidates supporters!

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/25/11 - 08:19 am

I believe President Truman once said. “I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.”

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/25/11 - 08:39 am
Cheapersmokes

Unions have become like our government, only focus on money.

We the people have ignored our Government’s behavior and it has been sold out to the highest bidder.

We the people have ignored our Union’s behavior and it has been sold out to the highest bidder.

The problems in Unions and Government are the same- Inactivity from the members.

I stay active in both. I am going to vote. I wonder what percentage, of members, will vote today?

Norseman 10/25/11 - 11:52 am
pay up or shut up

You stay active in gov't? Then why not pay your taxes like everyone else? You use our public schools, libraries, highways, hospitals, landfills, military, etc. and you refuse to pay your share.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 10/25/11 - 11:53 am
Percentage of voters!

Ray, I say 28% of eligible voters will take the time to vote in this election. What say you? Post your picks here

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/25/11 - 06:56 pm
Norseman, Where did you hear

Norseman,

Where did you hear I pay no taxes? Ah yes, my share.

Who determines your share of taxes you pay?

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/25/11 - 06:58 pm
Cheapersmokes, You are

Cheapersmokes,
You are optimistic
< 20%.

I hope you are correct. There was certainly a difference in candidates. A real choice for a change. We should have a Hugh turn out, if people were listening. Most are too busy with work and entertainment.

jlmh
jlmh 10/27/11 - 09:44 am
“You have to recognize what

“You have to recognize what is the best policy decision because sometimes what is very popular is not the right thing and sometimes what the right thing is isn’t politically popular.” -Navarre

Actually, in a democracy, what people want IS the right thing. If you feel strongly that your fiscal decisions are best, then make your case for the people to decide. Whatever logic you use to make decisions, the community is also capable of understanding and deciding for themselves. Some will agree, some will disagree, but in a democracy the "right" thing is whatever the majority thinks it is. This arrogant attitude is more akin to a dictator, presuming to know better than the people what is best for them! If it's such a great idea, then you will at least be able to convince a majority that the pro's outweight the con's.

witchwitch
witchwitch 10/27/11 - 11:02 am
Tax and spend philosophy...

Mike Navarre is positioning himself to do what is not politically popular and I can tell you what it is.

He will propose to raise property taxes to balance the budget and the Borough Assembly will support him. There will be no meaningful cuts in spending and the people of this Borough will provide more of their shrinking income to fund local government.

This Borough will continue to be on a very short list of Boroughs who $fund$ education to the maximum allowed by law and that amount will continue to rise, even as enrollment drops.

Ron Long will be appointed as the Chief of Staff and through that single appointment, there will be another person collecting a substantial pension based on his years of part-time elected service, because he will be paid retirement based on his highest three years of service. ($70,000+ full benefits, yipee!!!)

The bureaucrats will lament over how nothing can be done to stop the runaway spending as more get in line to benefit from their "public service". For those who have roots in this community, I hope you are ready and willing to sacrifice your future so that those who serve you are adequately compensated. As those who "serve" you build their benefits and those who actually produce wealth in this community become less and less, it's very clear that the future of this community holds little promise for our children and grandchildren.

Yep, those less popular decisions will have a large impact on the future of the residents of the Kenai peninsula.

Norseman 10/27/11 - 12:09 pm
sore loser

You sound like a real sore loser. To make up some hypothetical possibilities that try to negate our next new mayor is counter-productive. He hasn't even began his offical term and you already are starting up the rumor mill.

You are the exact reason why our country is where it is today. The obvious and blatant attacks against anyone who you didn't vote for or hope would have been elected.

You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Instead of belittling, predicting and negating our new mayor, why don't you be productive and offer solutions that you feel may be benefical to our community.

I hope that he picks Ron Long. Ron Long has a great reputation of being a public servant. He is smart, open, and will compromise. Perfect choice for a chief of staff.

Your blatant hostility towards our new mayor reminds me of the comments made by others when they want, wish,and will do whatever it takes to make sure the other party fails. With that attitude, no wonder we can't get anywhere as a town, state, or nation.

Give the new mayor a chance. At least till he gets his name on the door. Mayor Navarre, has a nice ring to it don't ya think?