• Overcast
    Overcast

Soldotna woman gives teenager meth, marijuana

Posted: January 4, 2012 - 7:11pm

A 21-year-old Soldotna woman has been charged with giving a 15-year-old methamphetamine.

Darrin McHone remains in Wildwood Correctional Center’s pretrial facility on charges of first- and third-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance, as well as multiple charges stemming from another case.

McHone allegedly gave the teenager meth and marijuana, according to court records.

On Dec. 17, McHone gave the teen, who frequented her apartment, a “small baggy with meth in it” and “a couple of bowls” of marijuana, according to court records.

Investigation began when police received a tip from a confidential source who said meth possibly was traded for babysitting McHone’s two children at her residence. It was later discovered the teen asked for meth, according to court records.

Knowingly providing a controlled substance to a person under 19 is a class B or unclassified felony under state law.

A separate case involving McHone includes theft and hindering prosecution. Charges include second-degree theft, two counts of first-degree hindering prosecution and two counts of fourth-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance.

Alaska State Troopers impounded a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder after a vehicle and foot chase on Dec 4. The driver and a passenger abandoned the vehicle near McHone’s apartment. The trooper observed four studded snow tires and a floor jack in the back of the vehicle, according to court records.

Troopers report Jerrad Effenbeck’s tires were stolen off his vehicle while parked in front of Save-U-More in Soldotna. Stereo items and hand tools were also stolen from his vehicle.

Justin C. Pelletier and Jeremy D. Whitlow were later indentified and charged with theft of the tires.

Ramona Walsh, owner of the Nissan, reported her vehicle stolen the next morning and stated Pelletier — one of the fleeing persons from the previous night — had left his cell phone in her vehicle two days earlier, according to court records.

McHone was eventually questioned at her apartment, stating she didn’t have contact with Pelletier the night of the chase or since. A search warrant was issued, and McHone’s text messages indicated communication among herself, Walsh and another. Texts revealed their subsequent plan to report the vehicle stolen, according to court records.

McHone’s combination bail totals $11,000.

Her trial is scheduled for March 19 at the Kenai Courthouse.

Jerzy Shedlock can be reached at jerzy.shedlock@peninsulaclarion.com.

Norseman 01/05/12 - 10:40 am
Meth for babysitting, my

Meth for babysitting, my gawd. We as a community need to report every suspected drug dealer. Too many people look the other way, don't want to get involved.

Scumbag theives and drug dealers are out there and it is time to get this problem dealt with. Too many just get a slap on the wrist. How many times do we see case after case dismissed or plea bargained.

Let see what happens to this drug dealer. Hopefully her kids are in someone elses protection.

msjinxie
msjinxie 01/05/12 - 05:40 pm
justice for the innocent

I am literally speechless....this woman that gave this kid that garbage needs to be eliminated from society. Really? Its getting that pathetic? I'm so thankful to GOD above that my kids are out of KCHS as of 06 and 07.......both very successful because of GOOD PARENTING. No one else is going to do anything but harm your children so watch them like hawks. IF your a parent, you know exactly what I am saying. Literally makes me sick to my stomach to read this happening right here in little home town Kenai/Soldotna. I know its everywhere....I'm not an idiot. Its just such a wonderful community to raise kids, and allow them the chance to succeed in life, not kill them slowly with JUNK. My prayers go out to the kiddo.....he had a very very bad babysitter or whatever the heck she was supposed to be. Don't drop your kids off with strangers ever.

msjinxie
msjinxie 01/05/12 - 05:40 pm
justice for the innocent

smthomp
smthomp 01/05/12 - 06:52 pm
maybe you should hear the whole story b4 passing judgement

Being a parent myself I get why Darrin is in lots of trouble for what she did. But I also know Darrin myself because she herself has had some really terrible things happen to both her and her kids recently. I'm not making excuses for her but she is not an evil monster who needs to be put down either. She needs help with her entire life & she needs some support from people that want her to succeed not run her over with their car. Not everything is as this story reads. Maybe she needs someone to show her the way.

Norseman 01/05/12 - 07:29 pm
sorry smthomp, I ain't buying

sorry smthomp, I ain't buying what you are selling. This is a 21 year old mother we are talking about. Many mothers have had bad things happen to them, but they are not paying their 15 year old babysitters with drugs.

I have zero sympathy for her. Using illegal drugs is a personal choice. She chooses that lifestyle, she can live with all of the consequences of it. Wildwood is open 24 7.

Hopefully her children will be taken care of by someone in a healthy, better lifestyle.

anrsvc
anrsvc 01/05/12 - 09:11 pm
RE: sorry smthomp, I ain't buying

Hi Norsemen,

While you may not be familiar with Darrin, I am and I am very familiar with the circumstances surrounding this situation.

I completely agree with what you have said. There is NO excuse for slowly poisioning a 15 year old child with methamphetamine.

This article has come out on the heels of the death of a 14 year old girl in Anchorage who was overdosed with Heroin among other things. It is entirely possible that her last concious memory was a 26 year old guy hovering over trying to inject heroin into her body.

The ONLY differences between that tragedy and what happend to this 15 year old is that thank GOD that this 15 year old is not dead and that there are people trying to make excuses for Darrin McHone.

Poisioning a child like this is a unclassified felony that can result in a sentence of up to 99 years in prison. This is a crime with a severe penalty for a good reason.

Public condemnation for these kinds of acts is morally just. Darrin McHone is not the devil. But her actions are nearly murderous. There is no excuse. Period.

JOAT
JOAT 01/06/12 - 09:35 am
Someone?

@smthomp

In order for evil to thrive, good people need only to do nothing.

You say, "She needs help with her entire life & she needs some support from people that want her to succeed not run her over with their car. Maybe she needs someone to show her the way."

Hello? If YOU know this person and see this, then why don't YOU do something about it? Sitting aside and waiting for someone else to "show her the way" is wreckless and irresponsible. Someone else IS now showing her the way. A building full of criminals over in Kenai. Now it's too late. You should have done something.

spwright 01/06/12 - 10:46 am
Navy Corpman ? 1/6/2012

Fri 1/6/2012
To be Honest, My Jaw dropped to the Floor when I found out this Guy was a former Navy Corpman !

How in the Hell does a Man that once worked as US.Navy Corpman SAVING LIVES of Our U.S. MARINES in the Heat of Battle. Risking His Life for Others.

Then He goes from that most honorable profession to injecting teenage girls w/ drugs. W T F ? What Happened to this Navy Sailor ?
Retiree SPW "Airborne"

smthomp
smthomp 01/06/12 - 12:06 pm

I did do something positive in her life but unlike those who dont have to work for aliving i had to move for my job & my family. So needless to say the only postive influence hanging around had to move over a month ago & I would have never kept her as a friend if i would have thought this is something that would be possible. I cant be the only one with a heart to change to world but with all the bad people in the world doing so much damage that no one else can be bothered to take time out of their day to take in a lost soul and teach them that there are still some good people out there. So glad to be standing by myself on this mountain top atleast i can sleep at night.

cbeard
cbeard 01/06/12 - 03:24 pm
Un-news

Nothing new here.

- It's the Peninsula, a place recently home to the highest percentage of methamphetamine use per capita in the entire United States.

- Meth was involved. End of story.

JOAT
JOAT 01/06/12 - 04:56 pm
We all must do something!

@smthomp... my post came off quite a bit harsher than I intended. I was trying to make a general point about good people stepping in when they see bad things going on. My intent wasn't to single you out as much as call on everyone to stand up and make our community better. Your first post just struck a chord with me. We the people must step in. Say something. Do something. The government, police, and prison guards are not going to fix these kinds of problems. Only friends and neighbors can do it. We must take a stand.

smthomp
smthomp 01/06/12 - 07:45 pm
just needed to say my peace

I'm not saying what Darrin did is okay and now I get to deal with her as a friend but i still believe that you can help the lost and i'm trying not to feeling guilty for not being around to set her straight. I know im not her babysitter but having the right angel on your shoulder can drown out the demons. Nobodys perfect especially me but not everyone is who you think they are. There is still hope for this 21yr old girl and i hope that maybe someone there can take the time to lead the way.

smthomp