Crews tackle house fire on K-beach

Fire fighters were able to quickly control a residental fire Wednesday night on Kalifornsky Beach Road.


Central Emergency Services and the Kenai Fire Department responded to the call at 36731 Kalifornsky Beach Road at about 9 p.m. No one was hurt in the blaze.

The sole occupant of the house had evacuated when crews arrived. The damage is estimated at $10,000, according to a CES press release.

CES units were dispatched after receiving a report of a possible fire. The first unit arrived within three minutes of the report and observed flames and smoke coming from inside the house, according to the press release. 

The fire originated in the same room the resident was sleeping in, but he was able to escape when smoke alarms woke him up.

Officials suspect a vehicle battery charger sitting too close to a combustible material was the cause of the fire. Investigation is ongoing, said Brad Nelson, CES safety officer.

The living room where the fire originated was badly damaged, but the majority of the house was saved, Nelson said.

Crews stayed for two hours to ensure the fire was completely out, but also to clean and board up the house, preventing further damage from the elements. These services are a common practice, Neslon said.

“Our concern isn’t just putting out the fire,” he said. “We definitely do anything we can to prevent further damage.”

CES reminds residents that working smoke alarms made a difference in this incident. Testing detectors once a month and changing the batteries once a year is encouraged.


Jerzy Shedlock can be reached at


Wed, 06/20/2018 - 20:33

Fish and Game closes setnets in Northern District

Commercial set gillnet fishermen in the Northern District of Upper Cook Inlet won’t get to fish this coming Monday.

Read more
Wed, 06/20/2018 - 20:33

Triumvirate Theatre hosts 20th annual summer camp

For 20 years, the Triumvirate Theatre has spent part of its summer educating kids about the stage.

Read more