• Overcast
    Overcast

Photo by M. Scott Moon
A Central Emergency Services firefighter examines damage to a house on Riverview Avenue in Soldotna on Thursday afternoon. CES said two people were transported to the hospital after the home exploded.

Update: Soldotna explosion injures 2

Details still emerging on accident that sent 2 to CPH

Posted: January 26, 2012 - 4:24pm  |  Updated: January 26, 2012 - 7:29pm
Back | Next
CES firefighters keep a still-burning gas line next to the house cool until until crews from Enstar Natural Gas Co. could use an excavator to get to the main line needed to stop the flow.   Photo by M. Scott Moon
Photo by M. Scott Moon

Two residents were injured in an explosion inside a Soldotna home Thursday afternoon at 336 West Riverview Ave.

Central Emergency Services investigators haven’t pinned down the cause of the fire.

The small single-story home sat slumped, windows shattered in the total loss incident. A black SUV sat close to house badly damaged as well.

The home owner and a friend were inside the home when the explosion occurred. Both men have been medevaced to Seattle for head and hand burns. One of the men inhaled hot gas and was having difficulty breathing, CES official Brad Nelson said.

Carmen Littrell sat next door when the violent shock shook her entire house.

Troy Gehring, who was visiting Littrell, struggled to describe the piercing bang.

“It sounded like somebody ... It sounded like a bomb,” he said.

Littrell and Gehring ran outside and discovered a scene of destruction.

When CES officials arrived there were two separate fires; an interior fire in the attic and roof of the home and an exposed gas line in the driveway of the property, Nelson said.

“When the explosion happened it literally blew the gas meter apart, and it was up on top of the roof,” he said. “So you have the main (gas) line completely open, leaking and burning.”

Frank Hopper, who owns the house, escaped the damage after the explosion. Gehring said he removed Hopper’s coat because Hopper thought he was on fire.

Hopper then entered a passing vehicle that took him to Central Peninsula Hospital, Gehring said.

About 30 seconds later, a second male exited the burning home, he said.

“We were all amazed,” he said. “He moved his vehicle, tried to get some of his belongings outside of the house and decided he wanted to go to the hospital. He was climbing into his driver seat, and I said no, no, no. I’ll drive you.”

There was no hair on either of the occupant’s heads, witnesses said.

CES responders extinguished the gas line fire after ENSTAR Natural Gas Company officials used an excavator to expose the main line across the street, cutting the source.

Officials roped off the home. CES or ENSTAR, or both, will manage the property until the investigation is over.

Jerzy Shedlock can be reached at jerzy.shedlock@peninsulaclarion.com.

robert white
robert white 01/27/12 - 03:22 pm
explosion

Just drove by, something is not right.. Security is there, fire investigation unit, people in a hurry moving out close by????hummmmm.

radiokenai
radiokenai 01/27/12 - 03:26 pm
All the earmarks.....
Unpublished

.....of a methaboom!

radiokenai
radiokenai 01/27/12 - 03:30 pm
Geee..
Unpublished

...was I suppose to heat the concrete cleaner first or mix in the pneumonia while adding the battery acid?

northroader
northroader 01/27/12 - 11:04 pm
And the story changes!

Does this story sound strange? So far this is the second version that was reported.
Drive by rescuer?
How about a Meth Lab? There is enough of that nasty crap going around the peninsula to kill all of us! And the troopers can't do anything about it!
If I am wrong then forgive me! But if I am right then one less meth cooker on the peninsula!

sullivank
sullivank 01/28/12 - 11:54 am
explosion the truth about what is happening

I am a neighbor. Mr. Hoppers home had frozen pipes and then it flooded, there was a gas leak from somewhere and it blew up when he flipped a breaker. There was nothing illegal going on it was just an unfortunate accident. the home is also under guard/security until the investigation is completed. As for the other neighbor moving stuff out she also had frozen pipes and flooding and she was mucking out her home also. Please pray for the injured.

clg@alaska.net
clg@alaska.net 01/28/12 - 02:09 pm

Thank you very much for telling the true story. That was my brother in law and we need lots of prayers for Tim and Frankie. They have a long road of healing in front of them and don't need to come home to rumors of being meth heads.

hannahjoy907
hannahjoy907 01/28/12 - 02:59 pm
explosion

I just wanted to also back up the story that this was NOT a meth lab incident, but a gas leak. One of the men was my boyfriend's uncle, and i agree that they do not need to come home and hear those rumors. and just a little FYI, 90% of the meth labs are not in TOWN but more so out north or in the middle of nowhere.

Teresa
Teresa 01/29/12 - 12:28 am
This is my brother!

He did not have a meth lab! I think some people need to think about how his family may feell before posting off the wall stuff about people they dont even know on a public wall post!!!!!!

JOAT
JOAT 01/29/12 - 07:11 am
Ignore the negative comments

It's the internet. All kinds of crazy people get on news sites and post lies and speculation about news stories. Ignore them.

hop'shoney
hop'shoney 01/29/12 - 07:34 am
This my brother-in-law!!!!

Frankie is not a meth cooker! For those of you who want to speak in a negative manner about someone you know NOTHING about, think if this was your family member! Frankie has a family. He and his family have been through more than you could know this past year. His oldest brother is still recovering from a major accident; he is worried sick about his baby brother.
Meth is a problem everywhere, not just in your neighborhood. So, unless you KNOW what is going on, SHUT THE HECK UP!!!!! His children are beside themselves! Think about that you mouthy chicken's butt!!!

jerzygirl
jerzygirl 01/29/12 - 01:09 pm
well wishes

I hope they both have a quick and full recovery.

analaskancitizen
analaskancitizen 01/29/12 - 01:14 pm
shame on you northroader

What good could possibly come of your remarks? Are you wanting us to think you are "in the know?"
I hope the family and friends realize that that the vast majority of people out here find that kind of a response despicable, inappropriate and offensive. I'm sorry that those kinds of postings are even allowed.

analaskancitizen

shame on you northroader

analaskancitizen
analaskancitizen 01/29/12 - 01:14 pm
shame on you northroader

Danny Terra
Danny Terra 01/30/12 - 10:02 am
Sending our best to Tim and his family

Tim you and your family are in our thoughts. It is unfortunate that someone would post DEROGATORY COMMENT'S when they do not know you or the fact that you where lending a helping hand to a friend in need. Only a coward would make a statement like that and not sign their name. We are wishing you and the home owner a full recovery and know this will be a long painfull process. We will see you back at work when you are well.

The Murphy's

jlmh
jlmh 01/31/12 - 12:41 pm
I got a chuckle at the meth

I got a chuckle at the meth lab theory, knowing who the family is. But for people who don't know them, it would be a reasonable suggestion. I mean, meth labs do explode. Northroader never declared he was right, or claimed to have more information than the story. Don't confuse the open exchange of ideas with starting rumors.

Carmen
Carmen 02/04/12 - 02:15 am
As Frankie Hoppers friend and

As Frankie Hoppers friend and long time neighbor I can assure you there was NO meth lab in his house. I have been in that house countless times over the years and have NEVER seen any evidence of illegal activity. I was inside the garage of my home cleaning up personal items that may be able to be salvaged after my entire downstairs had flooded when the explosion occured. Frankie was next door doing the same thing.His pipes had frozen as well.That was not a moving van in my driveway...it was Mizera's Steamway loading a truck full of my furniture and possessions on the way to the dump! As a parent that spent 2 months with their child a Harborview Burn Unit and 6 more recovering after returning home with my daughter, Frankies injuries are VERY serious. I helped him from his house down my driveway, and stopped another neighbor driving down the road to take him the the ER. All I could do was reassure him that he was gonna be ok. SHAME ON YOU NORTHROADER!!! Try spending your energy praying for him and his friend as they have a very long road of recovery ahead of them.