• Overcast, light rain
    Overcast, light rain

Cars collide near vacant J-Bar-B

Posted: February 15, 2012 - 9:43am

Two large vehicles collided early Tuesday morning when a driver attempted to pass a school bus and ran into oncoming traffic, said Megan Peters, Alaska State Troopers spokesperson.

The accident occurred at 6:45 a.m. near the vacant saloon J-Bar-B on the Sterling Highway and resulted in minor injuries. Both vehicles had a driver with no passengers, and one of the drivers was transported to Central Peninsula Hospital but was released shortly thereafter, said Brad Nelson, Central Emergency Services responder.

A truck and SUV collided head-on near the driver sides of the vehicles. It was not a high-speed collision, as traffic had slowed for the school bus, according to authorities.

CES responded to the scene and Troopers handled the stoppage of traffic, which lasted for about 30 minutes. Both vehicles were towed away.

loveak
loveak 02/15/12 - 10:34 am
Driver's Poor Judgement

I stand at my child's Sterling Hwy. bus stop every morning and constantly witness driver's flying thru the busses flashing lights and even the red flashing stop sign. Drivers, please respect the busses and laws. They carry precious cargo. Your rush isn't worth a life.

bornalaskan
bornalaskan 02/15/12 - 08:58 pm
traffic

Something to ponder How about all the people that do not stop at stop signs and unmarked intersections and running red lights. Why aren't these enforce a lot better.

JOAT
JOAT 02/16/12 - 05:27 pm
Tourists and Dipnetters!!!

Back in July they said, "Put up a toll booth to keep these dang dipnetters and tourists up in Anchorage", et al

Oh, wait... here we are in February and still have impatient morons causing accident after accident. Maybe it isn't the "dipnetters and tourists" after all. I guess the bad drivers are right here amongst US.

I've gotten to where I just hate to drive anywhere around Soldotna & Kenai due to the huge number of really terrible drivers. I'm sure glad we cut the mandatory driver's education program out of our school district back in 1986.

Leave early. Slow down. Never exceed the speed limit and go slower in poor weather. At least 2 second spacing, but more in the winter. Do not pass. Complete stops. Turn on your lights and turn off your phone. With this, there would be no accidents... though they are really "negligents", not accidents. All "accidents" are caused by human error. All of them.

bornalaskan
bornalaskan 02/16/12 - 07:48 pm
traffic

I remember the driving instructor I had and his opening statement was there is no such thing as a accident it is just a laps of intelligence.

justamom
justamom 02/17/12 - 03:14 pm
Drivers Education

I can't believe they don't mandate driver's ed in school. Everything these days is shoved in our faces, why not this? I paid big bucks for my kids to go thru Manny's course. I know lots of parents who didn't, for one reason or another, but how can they really know all the rules if they don't go to class? I for one don't like them using "experience" to teach them in this particular case. Gaining experience on the road without proper instruction causes accidents. And another thing...the police should strongly inforce the provisional license law. I do in my house as much as I can, but some parents think it's a stupid law and allow their kids to drive with "fresh" licenses. I just hate it!

pamelita
pamelita 02/18/12 - 12:17 pm
Not newbies

Turns out these drivers were 61 years old. Warm weather makes the roads dangerous...slow it down...

jlmh
jlmh 02/20/12 - 01:04 am
Driver's education doesn't

Driver's education doesn't guarantee good choices. I seriously doubt that a 61-year-old didn't know that you shouldn't pass in poor visibility (or even in good visibility if there's oncoming traffic, whatever the case was). I think the written test suffices to ensure drivers know traffic laws, and the behind-the-wheel portion ensures that a driver can operate the vehicle. You don't need mandatory driver's ed or Manny's course to become a motorist. Plenty of parents have the time and patience to teach their own children. My parents taught me over a decade ago, and I have a clean driving record. I think the push for mandatory driver's ed is more about not wanting to bother with it yourself and also wanting the course free.

spwright 02/20/12 - 08:57 am
26 yrs old ?

Mon. 2/20/12
Well much to my surprise to learn that jimh is only 26 yrs old ?
Driver's License at age 16 then 10 yrs driving experience would be age 26. Not exactly a Driver with a LifeTime of driving experience & wisdom.
SPW

jlmh
jlmh 02/20/12 - 12:12 pm
Driver ed not for seniors

I said over a decade ago, being intentionally vague about age. The point was that a basic knowledge of how to drive is not what reckless drivers are lacking, except maybe in very new drivers. After a few years, it really doesn't matter whether a parent or "Manny" taught you. It comes down to common sense and safe choices. I seriously doubt that the driver in this article, who is allegedly 61 and probably drove for over 40 years, needed a driver's ed course to tell him not to ram into someone head-on!

JOAT
JOAT 02/20/12 - 01:50 pm
Common Sense is a learned

Common Sense is a learned behavior. It doesn't come naturally except through repeated failures to gain experience. People should not be gaining experience on the roads through failures.

Mandatory driver's ed. That's the way to do it. If the driver in this case was 61, that still explains it. They didn't require mandatory driver's ed 61 years ago either. Obviously they didn't have the "common sense" not to cause an accident. All vehicle accidents are the result of human negligence. The driver was wrong. Something tells me this probably isn't their first time driving offense either.

I'd also like to see twice as many cops on the roads and the driving citation fees doubled. And why not add in a test at every 5 year license renewal? I have to take numerous classes and tests for my professional license renewals every 2 years and a lot of what I do isn't nearly as dangerous as driving. Yet we just freely hand out driver's licenses with almost no requirements and once you have one, you don't have to continuously prove that you are keeping up with the skill or the knowledge involved.

jlmh
jlmh 02/20/12 - 11:49 pm
I have a hard time believing

I have a hard time believing that anyone - whether 16 or 61 - could forget that you shouldn't drive into oncoming traffic. You don't need a driver's ed course to tell you that, nor a refresher course to remind you. However, I can see the merit in occasional refresher courses to reiterate less obvious driving skills - such as how to respond if you slide on ice, where to face your tires when parked on a hill, etc. I think what you are describing is essentially a Defensive Driving Course. There are already some incentives like insurance discounts and ticket dismissals. But I'm not convinced that common sense is learned through mandatory driver's ed. Perhaps there are some statistics on accident rates among those who took driver's ed versus those who didn't. That would certainly be more reliable than assuming everyone who wrecked since 1986 did so because they weren't forced to take Manny's course.

ragincajun67
ragincajun67 02/21/12 - 02:53 am
There is more to it than what it seems.

Not only are people careless with the issues you all spoke of in this area. More than a few times in my 20 years in this great state. And all of it in this area I have come across some pretty hairy situations when people don't yield to oncoming traffic. You know what I am talking about. You are traveling the speed limit they see you coming and instead of waiting till you get by them they pull out in front of you. Only to do 10 or more miles an hour less than what you are traveling. Mandatory drivers ed might help. Defensive driving might help also if they pay attention to what the instructor has to offer. You can leave 15 min. early and still be late because some ding dong doesn't know how to manuever a vehicle on a paved highway. Following 2 sec behind another vehicle is way to close. Do the math time your self and see how long it takes to go from the gas pedal to the brake petal and start to apply the brake to the vehicle. Wait you have to add in the time it takes for you to think about letting off the gas and applying the brakes. The minimum rule of thumb is 4 sec. and that is still to close for me. I try to stay at least 6 sec. unless I have a clear path to pass the vehicle in front.

P.S. Wheels to the curb when facing forward downhill
Wheels away from the curb when facing uphill.
Parking brake on and in park for automatic transmission or 1st gear for a standard transmission.

JOAT
JOAT 02/21/12 - 10:06 am
Driver's Ed

For the record, "Manny" taught math at SoHi in the 1980's and had nothing to do with driver's ed. The Driver's Education course was a mandatory graduation requirement up to 1986. It was a regular period class for a semester with one quarter of classroom education and one quarter of simulator and actual driving time. They had a large simulator van with mocked up driver's seats and controls set in front of a big screen. For the 80's, it was state-of-the-art video simulation. The real world driving time even included instructor-controlled skid correction practice.

I don't think "Manny" started his private driver's ed company until well into the 1990's. The training he provides pales in comparison to what was being taught in the classroom during a full semester of HS education.

Driving is a very dangerous activity that the general public takes far too lightly. The safety of the entire public is at stake based on the decisions of each individual driver. That makes it a public issue, not a private one. The claim that you have a "right" to drive is false. The public has a greater right to be protected from individuals piloting around 2,000 pound weapons at 70mph that they are just barely able to maintain control of.

jlmh
jlmh 02/21/12 - 12:10 pm
The driver's education you

The driver's education you describe sounds like a very useful course offering. I don't know about adding it to the high school curriculum, as this would exclude newcomers to the state, drop-outs, and homeschoolers. But having a DMV course that spanned a semester would ensure that students developed practical winter road skills. Those taking Manny's course in the summer miss this. I didn't see any comments above claiming that anyone had a "right" to drive, so I'm not sure what you were arguing there. No state has ever issued driver's licenses as a "right," but instead requires some kind of screening to obtain driving privileges. Whether our current screening is adequate may be up for debate, but I find it ironic that the driver in this article - who would have graduated before 1986 - managed to miss all those road skills that mandatory driver's ed purportedly instills.

busntheroad
busntheroad 02/27/12 - 08:11 am
This driver of the Yukon

This driver of the Yukon tried everything to get out of a ticket including saying there was a moose involved..!!!! The thing is that he passed a bus and traffic in a double lined traffic zone..One that has been there for years so that excuse is void even with the snow on the roadway. A blind corner is a blind corner.
The Pepsi truck driver saw the Yukon driving eratically, the bus driver saw the Yukon driving eratically. Personally I think the double fine corridor ought to be taken from Soldotna south to South Coho loop Road..That should fix some problems.
Yukon Guy..you need your license revoked!

LuvinLife
LuvinLife 02/27/12 - 09:05 am
driver of the yukon...

Perhaps having their drivers license revoked is a good idea...but will that stop them from driving? Do you have any idea how many people with revoked licenses are caught driving on a daily basis here in Alaska? It doesn't mean a thing to so many people here to have your license revoked.