• Overcast, light rain
    Overcast, light rain

Santorum sweeps Peninsula

Posted: March 7, 2012 - 12:26am  |  Updated: March 7, 2012 - 12:34am
Back | Next
Grace Brethren was one of about a half-dozen polling places on the Kenai Peninsula.   M. Scott Moon
M. Scott Moon

Total: 738

• Peninsula totals:

Santorum: 675

Romney: 528

Paul: 323

Gingrich: 279

Peninsula Republicans chose Rick Santorum as their candidate to challenge President Barack Obama in November’s election, local party leaders announced Tuesday after the statewide and area presidential preference polls closed.

Total among the area’s three districts, Santorum, a former Pennsylvania Senator, received 675 votes Tuesday over Mitt Romney’s 528, Ron Paul’s 323 and Newt Gingrich’s 279.

In total 1,805 Republicans voted across the Peninsula — 615 in District 28 (Nikiski, Ridgeway, Sterling, Seward), 452 in District 29 (Soldotna, Kenai) and 738 in District 30 (Kasilof, Anchor Point, Ninilchik, Homer.)

“I think it is about what we figured turnout-wise,” said local Republican organizer Dale Bagley.

Alaska had 24 delegates up for grabs in the presidential preference poll, which was one of 10 contests hosted on Super Tuesday. Allocation of Alaska’s 27 delegates will be proportional, save for three delegates — state party leaders — who will attend the national convention as unpledged.

In all local districts Santorum edged Romney, most narrowly in District 29 where only six votes separated the candidates. Paul and Gingrich came in third and fourth in all districts, respectively. Paul showed best in District 30, pulling 136 of the total 738 votes cast there. Santorum showed best in District 28 with 244 of the 615 total votes cast.

Central Peninsula voters packed Peninsula Grace Brethren Church on Kalifornsky Beach Road to make their selections Tuesday.

Among those voters was Kenai resident Rick Gray who thought the discourse between all of the GOP’s candidates wasn’t helping any of them, he said.

“They are killing themselves before they ever get to the presidential race,” said the 46-year-old voter.

Gray said he was swaying toward voting for Gingrich, but ended up siding with Romney. He said Gingrich had too much “baggage” and Romney “has to be” the GOP’s choice.

“We’ve got to have somebody that is going to get Obama out of there and that’s my whole reason for going with Mitt,” he said. “He’s got the experience, way more than Santorum and he has got that old-fashioned moral background — I’m not that old, but it has been instilled in me.”

Robert Posey, of Soldotna, also voted for the front-runner Romney on Tuesday, but was disappointed the Republican Party hasn’t really had a “good choice” since Ronald Reagan.

Posey said he thought many voters were considering the economy and health care above other issues when deciding who to vote for. Specifically he said he wanted a candidate that would overturn health care reform, dubbed “Obamacare.”

“I can’t believe they passed it and they never really knew what they were voting for,” he said. “There are a bunch of lies about, ‘It is going to reduce your health care costs,’ but mine have gone up $200 a month since they passed it.”

Posey said he liked former contender Herman Cain, but felt he didn’t have the necessary experience.

“It has got to be somebody that isn’t a career politician, somebody that’s more in tune with businesses — our government is the biggest business in the country,” he said.

Posey said he doesn’t take Paul seriously as a candidate even though he likes some of his ideas.

“I like Ron Paul, but he is so far out in left field that I don’t think he’ll ever make it,” he said. “It is kind of a wasted vote on him I think.”

Kyle Shelton disagreed with Posey’s stance on Paul, who he voted for. The 28-year-old Soldotna voter said he sided with Paul because he “hasn’t changed.”

“Steady – I know what he is going to do,” he said, standing near the entrance of Grace Brethren. “I like his foreign policy. I think he has got a lot more delegates than everyone thinks and I think he is going to surprise a lot of people here in a couple of months.”

Shelton also predicted Gingrich would drop out of the race after a poor showing on Tuesday, or in the future, and many of his supporters would align with Paul. Shelton said he knows many Paul supporters on the Peninsula, particularly among younger voters.

“I just know the younger crowd is getting tired of politics,” he said.

He also likened Romney to the “Republican Obama” and said even if Paul didn’t get the nomination, getting his message out and folded into the debate is worth his vote.

“He is what America used to stand for,” Shelton said, citing Paul’s voting record.

Harold Engebretsen, of Soldotna, said he voted for Santorum for a number of reasons, including his ability to activate the conservative base — something he thought Paul lacked.

“He has proven himself able to drum up support from the average guy, from the middle class worker,” he said. “He doesn’t seem to cater to money.”

Engebretsen said it would be hard to say if Santorum would be able to take the nomination from front-runner Romney.

“It’s hard to say,” he said. “I would like to see him get there, but I’ll be a Republican all the way to the end no matter who gets the nomination at the end. I think three of the four candidates have a good chance of taking our current president out.”

cbeard
cbeard 03/07/12 - 11:00 am
Yuck

It's disturbing so many racist bigots are voting for Santorum locally. Shameful.

justamom
justamom 03/07/12 - 04:04 pm
What?

Why is voting for him being racist? I'm not voting for him because I personally don't like him, but it's not because I'm a racist. Are you voting for Obama because he's black? Now that's being a racist! I'm voting for Ron Paul because I think people should be accountable for their actions and work hard to get ahead. I hate people who feel they are entitled because they are lazy, poor, black, white, hispanic, Chinese, gay, straight, or anything else! I'm sick and tired of paying taxes to feed the above mentioned and giving them free medical and free birth control. If that's what you think being a racist is, then I guess that's me. Get a clue cbeard...YOU are the problem, not the solution!!!

ak prog. 1
ak prog. 1 03/07/12 - 05:22 pm
Really?

Sanitorium?...
Cocoa puffs to everyone on the Kenai.

akal
akal 03/07/12 - 05:28 pm
ugh

it's obvious that there is no political hope for the country.

Norseman 03/07/12 - 05:44 pm
One thing about this great

One thing about this great country, you are free to get out and excercise your right to vote for whomever you want. Sometimes your man or woman wins, sometimes not.

Jerry
Jerry 03/07/12 - 10:24 pm
justamom For future info, OUR

justamom For future info, OUR Prez. Obama is not Black, he is 50% White, 43% Bedouin Arab, 7% African, not only is he Muslim, he is also Jewish, from the tribes of Dan & Judah.
Most don't realize this mix of his or that his wife is also Jewish & her cousin Rabbi Capers Funnye is one of Americas prominent black rabbis at the Beth Shalom B'nai Zaken Etheopian Hebrew congragation in South Chicago.

Racism, its just one of those things some people try to exert power over others with to make fear being called racist, so don't fall for it when it comes to this Choosen one, OUR White, Arab, partially Black Jewish Muslim Prez. that was elected out of a sence of guilt for past practices of some, NOT ALL AMERICANS.
Trust me i know all about supposed rasism, as i have a mix of American white Irish, American Indian, American African, married to an American Mexican, with American White African grand chillins, i guess you could say i'm AMERICAN and so are they.

Justamom like you, i vote for the message, not the proclaimer of messages, unless of course it Jesus, then its Both the message & Proclaimer as they both agree & are true.
Out of all the choices i would go with Santorum, but i'm not happy with any of the choices, from either party, which goes to add to my thinking that if we make it too November, everythings not gonna be OK. We're in trouble big time folks.

spwright 03/08/12 - 09:46 am
Terrible Voter Turn-Out

Thur 3/8/12
It's my understanding that the Kenai Peninsula Voter Turn-Out was ONLY a miserable 12% That is sincerely a Shameful event & a embrassment to All Alaskans.

VOTER APATHY IS OUR OWN WORST ENEMY

No other Issue No other Canidate, No Other subject is more important than 80% of Alaskans that do NOT VOTE.
80 % of Alaskans do NOT participate in Democracy & make the Time to VOTE.

That makes My Blood Boil ! I don't understand it ?
There are No Excuses for This !

IF You are a AMERICAN THEN YOU WILL VOTE
IT'S THAT SIMPLE .

SPW "Airborne"

justamom
justamom 03/08/12 - 09:50 am
Thanks Jerry

I stand corrected. I just don't want to be called a racist because I DIDN'T vote for that idiot and her husband.

Norseman 03/08/12 - 10:49 am
jerry get your facts straight

How many times are people going to perpetuate the lie about Obama and his religion? He has publically and emphatically stated for years he is a Christian.

Seperation of church and state. The hypocrisy of "if you are not of my religion, then no vote for you" is ridiculous.

corinnep
corinnep 03/08/12 - 01:44 pm
justamom rants are offensive

To the person who posts as "justamom." Your rants are offensive, full of slogans, insults and by your own admission, hate. Please try to keep a civilized tone. Thanks.

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 03/08/12 - 02:00 pm
Spw

Maybe it's because 80% aren't informed enough to make an educated vote and don't know their Ron Paul from their Rick Santorum and could find their Mitt Romney with both hands. Don't vote if you don't know!

Jerry
Jerry 03/09/12 - 10:35 am
norseman i have my facts

norseman i have my facts straight, it does appear that you seem to be factless of what makes one a christian.
Oh, and just because someone claims to be a christian does not mean they are, take for instance what Jesus says about his being the ONLY Way & that belief in Jesus alone, and obeying his rules is what makes one a christian.
Obama's actions & words prove he is a pretender, as he says for one, there are many ways to God, Jesus says there is only one way to God. John 14:6
Take Matthew 7:22-23, where Jesus says that many on judgement day will say Lord, Lord, didn't we do all these GR8 things in your name as pretend christians?
Jesus will say unto them depart from me you accursed, i never knew you. These are the ones that are BSing themselves & others into a false security & salvation.

So if i was to guess about what supposed christians say, I would say that Jesus, God, could careless what people like Obama claim & i would be careful calling Jesus & God the Father Hypocrites, because it's them that make the rules, not me or any other person.

Its people like Obama & their actions which are in total contrast in regards to Gods word, the Bible, which determines where a person is in relation to Jesus if they are obeying or rejecting his commands/rules which makes them a christian or not.
Read da Rules, the Bible, so ya know who is a follower of Christ Jesus, or someone that is BSing themselves & in Obama's case millions of others.

I'm not perfect just forgiven & know that its all about Jesus & nothing i can do except trust in him alone & his BIBLE, B asic, I nstructions, B efore, L eaving, E arth.

Jesus says that he is the way, the truth, & the life & no one comes unto God except thru him. John 14:6
Alot of really good people are gonna end up in eternal damnation because they wanted to get to God on their terms, not Gods, i call it the burger king religion of have it your way.

Mankind has lowered the bar of acceptance for salvation by saying it's OK what ever you want to believe, there are many ways to God & Salvation, it's not God or Jesus that lowers their rules for acceptance.

A few yrs back i was fishing the Seward silver tourney & was 1200 ft out of bounds according to the line on the water for the 6 fish limit. The fish & game came by & wrote us up for having to many silvers.
This officer was the one that had helped make the rules for silvers in the regulation book & was upset because we had not read the RULES & obeyed them, thus the fine, punishment was handed down.
I took the punishment for all on the boat & was sited for the total offence of everyone & paid the fine, they could have said no to my offer & paid their own penalties for breaking the Rules, Laws.

I was able to talk to the officer later at the fuel dock & explained to him that i was a christian & had not broke the rules intentionally, his responce was well you need to read the rules to prevent such a thing from happening again.
I asked him if he knew Jesus & the judgements coming to those that reject his only way of salvation, too which he replied that he did not believe that stuff and was good to go.
So what was i to do, its his choice to either accept the free gift of salvation, or reject it.

Of course my responce was exactly what his was concerning the Rules for fishing, except these are rules of salvation that are accepted by God, he needs to read the Rules, like others also need to do as well, either that or pay the fine yourselves, which won't work with Gods Rules.

Jesus knows his OWN followers & ya can't BS him in the end by what you say, if they differ from the Rules.
Have a GR8 Day, and remember Jesus loves ya, even when others might not be too thrilled with ya.

soldotna54
soldotna54 03/12/12 - 02:26 pm
Low Turnout extreme Right

With the dismal turnout and the results, I would say Republicans are bankrupt for ideas and any kind of Intellectual and Compassionate Person to represent them.

soldotna54
soldotna54 03/12/12 - 02:26 pm
Low Turnout extreme Right

justamom
justamom 03/12/12 - 03:08 pm
Lefties

But anything is better than what we have now. Vote Ron Paul!!!

spwright 03/12/12 - 04:07 pm
Waiting in the Wings

Oh I,m sure this will up-set alot of People.

Those Republican Candidates will just Keep Ripping Each Other Apart while PRESIDENT OBAMA is just Waiting in the Wings to be RE-ELECTED

Now Rant & Rave about how Evil President Obama is but remember that your Party can't even get a single candidate elected
or over a miserable 12% Voter Turn-Out.

Mitt Romney & Sister Sarah Palin together in Nov. 2012 !

Yeah Yeah I'm a low life DEMOCRAT that's surrounded by
Red Neck Republicans & they control the entire state

No Way ! Did he say the word DEMOCRAT ?

What Say You ? SPW in Slooooooowdotna

granny
granny 03/12/12 - 04:36 pm
Thanks for the quote from

Thanks for the quote from Matthew Jerry, that along with Matthew 25:31-46 should give Christians cause to pause. I still use a Bible I received at a young age so maybe it's outdated, but I can't find any scripture that says Jerry gets to decide who is and who isn't a Christian. It is ultimately God's call. If I need to update my Bible let me know! M Schrag