• Broken clouds
    Broken clouds

Officials talk medical 'divide'

Posted: March 18, 2012 - 10:29am  |  Updated: March 18, 2012 - 1:34pm
Dr. John Halligan, second from right, responds to a question from Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly President Gary Knopp, at left, last Tuesday during a work session to address health care issues.  M. Scott Moon
M. Scott Moon

During a Tuesday meeting at the Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly chambers in Soldotna billed as a health care round table, Assembly President Gary Knopp asked members of the local medical community about a perceived “divide” between Central Peninsula Hospital and area independent physicians.

Knopp said his concerns about that divide began late last year when he first heard Kahtnu Venture’s proposal to build an ambulatory surgical center in Kenai. The surgical center is currently being considered by the state for a certificate of need.

Those concerns about a divide were further amplified during discussions about two competing cancer center proposals.

“I was hoping we could say, ‘Geez, why are you guys unhappy? Why is there all this opposition with Kahtnu and building the oncology center on-site?’” Knopp said Friday.

But those answers never came and Knopp said he was discouraged more local physicians didn’t attend the round-table meeting, which other residents, assembly members, borough and hospital administration did attend.

The only physician to address Knopp’s questions about a divide at the meeting was Dr. John Halligan, an Anchorage-based radiation oncologist proposing to build a local cancer treatment facility.

“But, I don’t know that we would have ever answered (that question), you know?” Knopp said. “If I would have come out and said, ‘What is the issue here? Are you unhappy with the hospital and the way that it is being operated? Or are you just jockeying in anticipation of what reimbursement rates might do in the future?’ I’m not sure I would have ever got a true answer to that question.”

But, Knopp said he needed to give the subject he’s heard about — division of the medical community — its due diligence.

“So I invited everyone to the table, I tried to express what my concerns were, but they didn’t seem to be shared by most of the members of the assembly or the public, but at least I got my issues stated,” he said. “I feel like I’ve done all the work I can do on the issue.”

At the meeting, Halligan spoke briefly about the subject, but said he couldn’t speak for all area independent physicians.

Halligan, Knopp and the assembly spoke at length about his cancer center proposal and a competing $4.7 million CPH proposal, which the assembly unanimously approved allocating money for during its regular Tuesday night meeting. The action wasn’t binding to building the facility, and CPH officials and Halligan are still in talks about finding a common-ground solution to that issue.

Knopp asked Halligan at the meeting why he didn’t want to align with CPH and practice oncology on the hospital’s campus rather than off campus. The assembly president said Halligan previously indicated that the hospital’s offer is generous and he is having a hard time declining it.

“But you said no, because ... of encouragement from the local physicians group down here that you have to work closely with and I can understand that,” Knopp said. “Really, I don’t know and I’m curious — is it because of physician independence or are they unhappy with our hospital, or are we just jockeying for market position? I’m trying to understand that.”

Said Halligan, “I can’t answer 100 percent for all the physicians, but I am certain that there have been estranged relationships obviously in the community and that may play a part in it.”

Halligan said later in the meeting that the area’s physicians — not the hospital — would be the main source of patient referrals for his cancer center, should it be built.

“We desire to maintain our independence and that has been part of our difficulty in dealing with this,” he said. “In my dealings with the board, the question of independence was implied as being something that we would lose in my first meeting with the hospital board. I have since had other members of the board say that would not be the case. (CPH Chief Executive Officer) Mr. (Rick) Davis has come out and said that would not be the case.”

Knopp asked later in the meeting if supporting CPH’s cancer center would further divide the hospital and the independent medical community.

“The (CPH) board doesn’t appear to me to be as content just in operating the hospital for us today as it was (when it was a small rural hospital) and they think the direction they are moving is the right way to go and I don’t fault them for that,” Knopp said.

Diana Zirul, a former Central Peninsula General Hospital, Inc., Board president, attended the meeting, but said Saturday area physicians she knows were not aware Knopp called a meeting at all, or found out just before it was starting, like her husband Jim. However, she said many physicians are eager to convey CPH’s actions indicate it is trying to “aggressively monopolize” the area’s health care.

“This isn’t jockeying for position — I don’t believe that,” she said. “I think that the hospital and the assembly have chosen to do whatever they want to do ... without involving the physicians. That’s all of the physicians, that’s not just a handful of them.

“They do not appear to involve them in their discussions until they already made a decision. Then they say, ‘Why don’t you like our decision?’”

At the Tuesday meeting, Knopp asked Alyson Stogsdill, CPGH, Inc., Board secretary and treasurer, how to fix the divide. Stogsdill said it might have to do with CPH’s hiring of physicians.

“It has never been a goal of the hospital board in any meeting I’ve ever been to that, ‘We’re going to own all the docs,’” Stogsdill said. “The physicians that we do have employed came to us and asked for employment. We are not going out and ringing doorbells asking, ‘Do you want to work for us?’ or, ‘We’re going to make you work for us.’”

Stogsdill said the hospital’s communications haven’t been what they should have been.

“Some of that was that we were told what we should say and when we should say it in some circumstances,” she said during the meeting. “That came from administration, not ours but past borough administrations ... well, ‘What did we know? We’re the tenant and you’re the landlord in that case. OK, we’ll follow directions.’ We learned the hard way.”

CPGH, Inc., Board President Lore Weimer thinks much of the division comes from the hospital’s employment of physicians — a trend that’s caught on in recent years in community hospitals around the nation, she said after the meeting Friday. About 50 percent of the physicians on CPH’s medical staff are employed by the hospital, she said.

“There’s a number of physicians that have the desire to be autonomous and practice independently and so you’ve got two things — the people who have been in your community a long time and were independent and then you have all the new people and most of them want to be employed,” she said.

However, that trend seems like competition to those independent physicians, she said, adding to continuing frustrations of lowered reimbursement rates and increasing costs of maintaining a practice. The view, Weimer said, is CPH’s employment of physicians is “disrespecting” to the independents, which she said she can understand.

“If you ask some of them they’ll say we recruited some we didn’t need or we did things that seem spiteful,” she said. “But I feel pretty good about the recruits we’ve made and we’ve brought good doctors here.”

Weimer said many of the problems can be attributed to national changes to which CPH is having to adapt.

“It certainly looks divided because I can see how it plays out at the assembly all the time and how angry the independent ones feel,” she said. “I get it. But we’re not driving that anger. The (national) health care reform drives a lot of that.”

Weimer said CPH staff is working to facilitate relationships and rework its administration and governance to accommodate for the mix of physicians. She also mentioned a CPH initiative with the Coker Group, a national health care consulting firm, to listen to all of the area’s physicians and present CPH with a report about what they could be doing better.

Zirul said Saturday many physicians feel a “lack of trust” and a “lack of communication” with the hospital.

“In some ways it is a disrespect,” she said of CPH hiring its own physicians, adding some might not have been needed. “... I do know they have been less than forthright in their dealing with the physicians and there are a number of examples ... where that has created that divide with the medical community. That’s unfortunate and I think a lot of that is communication.”

Henry Krull, a Soldotna-based orthopedic surgeon associated with Kahtnu Ventures, said Saturday in an interview the issue came to a head during conversations last year about managed care contracting with self-insured entities. He said CPH administration told the independent physicians if they were not part of their decision, CPH would hire additional surgeons that would be.

“It was either, ‘You join us or we are going to beat you down,’” Krull said. “That kind of talk continued when we did our surgery center proposal and we were told straight up by the administrator, ‘If you do this, I will make your life very difficult and your reputation will be harmed in the community and furthermore we are going to hire around you if you do that.’”

Said Krull: “The hospital has expressed very overtly its desire for monopolization of health care. The examples I have to support that are their lack of interest in a surgery center, which could help save health care consumers a tremendous amount of money, and also the lack of desire on the hospital’s part to support a cancer treatment center other than on their own campus where they will be able to control it.”

Kenai Peninsula Borough Mayor Mike Navarre agreed he has seen some division among the health care community, but said it isn’t a hospital-versus-physicians division. He said he thinks many independent physicians support the hospital on a general level.

Physicians are simply anxious about where things are headed and where national health care reform impacts are going to fall, he said.

“So that leads to some apprehension about who is going to be driving these decisions and influencing decisions,” he said. “There are some independent docs who want to make sure that the hospital isn’t so strong that they get pushed along by the hospital.”

Zirul feels it would be beneficial for the assembly to sit down again, invite all of the medical community to the table, and discuss the issue of the medical divide more openly, she said.

“Nobody is sitting down and talking about it,” she said.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/18/12 - 11:36 am
CPH Management style

I have been talking about it for years. It appears the paper only cares about the management style toward physicians. Here is my press release from last week

PRESS RELEASE

NLRB Agrees Southwell was Illegally Fired from CPH
NLRB Cases- 19-CA-32835
19-CA-32977

NLRB PDF file available

On October 18, 2010 , Ray Southwell a Registered Nurse was fired from Central Peninsula Hospital (CPH) in Soldotna Alaska. On November 17, 2010 he filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). After months of investigation by NLRB attorney David Schaff, in Anchorage, they agreed, Southwell was unjustly and illegally fired from Central Peninsula Hospital.

On February 24,2012, Anne Pomerantz, Acting Regional Director of the National Labor Relations Board, Region 19 in Seattle,Washington filed their “Order Consolidating Cases, Consolidated Complaint and Notice of Hearing.” Ms. Pomerantz states CPH “has been interfering with, restraining, and coercing employees in the exercise of the rights guaranteed. . .” She goes on to say CPH “has discriminated against Southwell . . .”

As usual, CPH has denied any wrong doing through their attorney James H. Juliussen.

The hearing or trial date is set for May 15,2012, location to be in the Soldotna/Kenai area and is open to the public.

Past CEO Ryan Smith and past Emergency Department Director Leeann Cushway will need to be brought back to the area for the trial.

Southwell stated- “I wonder how much of the, publicly owned, hospital’s money will be used to defend the ongoing illegal activities at CPH.”

End Press Release

Norseman 03/19/12 - 05:59 am
press release?

Really Ray, Press Release?

I thought that was saved for stuff like when you and Norm claimed the Japanese were responsible for bombing the Oklahoma city federal building.
:edited out the reference to 911.

spwright 03/18/12 - 02:28 pm
Say What ?

Sun. 3/18/12 Say What ? ? The Japanese attacked Us on "9/11" ? Well, That's a New One on Me ?
Where does That come from ? This should be interesting ?
SPW "Airborne" THINK SPRING !

Alaskalad
Alaskalad 03/18/12 - 04:54 pm
Michigan Militia

Actually they said the Japanese were behind the Oklahoma City bombing.
This is from the NY Times:
TERROR IN OKLAHOMA: MICHIGAN MILITIA; Two Leaders of Paramilitary Group Resign
Published: April 30, 1995

The two top-ranking leaders of the Michigan Militia resigned under pressure today after they had blamed the Japanese Government for the Oklahoma bombing.

The two leaders, Norman Olson and Ray Southwell, stepped aside one year to the day after they founded the organization, which is one of a loosely connected network of extremist groups that oppose gun control and accuse the Federal Government of conspiring to destroy individual liberty.

"Against the majority vote of the staff, I and my chief of staff, Ray Southwell, went forth with information concerning the true identity of the villains behind the Oklahoma City bombing," Mr. Olson said in a statement.

The Michigan Militia is governed by a five-man staff that included Mr. Olson, who had the title of commander, and Mr. Southwell.

In a statement faxed to news organizations on Friday, Mr. Olson elaborated on a theory that Japan bombed the Oklahoma City Federal Building because the United States was responsible for the deadly nerve gas attack last month on Tokyo's subways. He also said that Japan had paid C.I.A. agents to bug President Clinton's offices. (end of article)

Norm and Ray are nice enough people but they have a history of loose screws in the head, as far as I am concerned

normolson
normolson 03/18/12 - 06:55 pm
Conspiracy?

At the trial, the conspiracy to silence Ray Southwell and others who have been directly discriminated against will come out. There are several who could testify and I hope they'll be called as witnesses. Ray has worked tirelessly to defend nurses and to insure patient safety.
It may also come how and why an operational audit was squashed.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the trials with great anticipation. Purging the hospital of those who complain against the management and wrapping the Bourough Assembly around his finger was Ryan Smith's talent.
The coming trials ought to pack out the house. I'm sure there are plenty of employees (past and present) who want justice and to see Ryan Smith and Co. exposed for what they really were.

jake
jake 03/18/12 - 07:59 pm
I see this as a way for the

I see this as a way for the "independent Drs" to not have to deal with the uninsured, etc patients. Send them to CPGH so the tax payers take the loss while the folks with good insurance can go the the new medical centers. CPGH has signs stating we cannot refuse service for anyone, or something like that. So these Drs. will build there own "hospital" and only take patients they know can pay. Some thing like "oh, you don't have insurance? Medicare/medicad, not good engough. So there will be a 5K deposit needed and a promissory note for the balance or you can go to CPGH. I watch this happen in Ca., the hospital that was the equivalent to CPGH turned into a hospital that was nicknamed the "morgue" (high death rate/lack of care) as the tax payers refused to fund it and it still had to take everybody that showed up.

spwright 03/18/12 - 09:29 pm
That's Big WOW !

The Japanese were responsible for the OKC Bombing in 1995 then for "9/11" in 2001 ? ? ?

That's a Great big WOW ! What are these Guys Smokin' ?
That should be some entertaining reading. Where do I locate this story ?

These "North Roaders" are something else.Their Mothers would be so Very Proud.

SPW "Airborne"

Norseman 03/19/12 - 06:14 am
SPW, Alaskalad corrected me.

SPW, Alaskalad corrected me. Norm and Ray made a "Press Release" claiming the Japapnese bombed the Oklahoma Federal building.

You can google either of their names, or the Michigan militia and read plenty about them.

Whoever did the hiring did not do their job. Any employer could have taken a few minutes to check someones background.

Look at what the extreme domestic militia have done to their communities and country. The FBI have to constantly keep surveillance on them, they sue the towns, counties, and states they live in.
Thye threaten to kill our law enforcement officers, judges, and have killed innocent women and children. Does Timothy Mcveigh ring a bell? How about Cox in Fairbanks?

longmere
longmere 03/19/12 - 06:18 am
Jake Has a Good Point

The point that Jake brought up has a lot of merit. The hospitals cannot turn away patients from the emergency room, but an independent doctor, by nature of the description "independent", can refuse to see patients. That is also the independent doctor's right to refuse to provide services, that they might not be paid for. Just look at the unpaid bills at CPH annually. I have gotten great treatment at CPH as well as from independent doctors. I'm glad that we have a balancing system.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/19/12 - 07:43 am

I believe, In the past you have said Norm and I were responsible for OKC bombing and 9-11. Or perhaps was it how we used our mystical powers to cause the collapse of building number 7 on that fateful day. After all it collapsed like a pancake and was never attacked.

Say could you be one of those administrators from the hospital referred to by Dr. Krull in this article? Dr. Krull is quoted “. . .we were told straight up by the administrator, If you do this , I will make your life very difficult and your reputation will be harmed in the community. . .”

After all this is the management style at CPH. Great technique to generate fear in the employees and physicians at CPH. I wonder if it was used on Joseph Marchetti that November day in 2008?

Norseman 03/19/12 - 08:04 am
Ray, your reputation was well

Ray, your reputation was well established before you moved here.
I see lying is also your forte. Show me one time I accussed you or norm of either bombing.

I have stated that you have "rubbed elbows with known terrorists", such as Timothy McVeigh and Stephen Cox to name just a few.

I have also stated that you are under constant monitoring by the FBI and Homeland security due to your involvement with the militia.

What I would like to know is how you were ever hired in the first place. All one had to do was review your past and realize that this was not someone we would want working in our hospital.

Trouble follows you everywhere. Hence why you need monitoring.

Sue, take the taxpayers money, and move on.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/19/12 - 09:15 am

I guess I stand corrected. When did I ever “rub elbows” with McVeigh? Please elaborate on your theory.

Who in the world is Stephen Cox?

BTW, I believe Martin Luther King, John Kennedy and most recently Ted Stevens were on the FBI’s watch list. Not sure about your point here.

Oh, you never answered the question-are you one of the administrators referenced by Dr. Krull?

normolson
normolson 03/19/12 - 12:45 pm
Discrediting Southwell Before The Trial

There is a trial coming. The conspiracy launched by the management of CPH to eradicate Southwell included archival material of his militia involvement. Copies of articles (made on hospital copy machines?) were left on tables in the cafeteria and other places in the hospital.
But in the trial that is coming, Southwell will expose not only the method to discredit him but perhaps even those who conspired together to do so.
Regardless of the efforts to discredit him now, the trial will take place. Much will be exposed. The same methods used to destroy Ray Southwell were used against Michael Marchetti: hound and harrass until the "troublemaker" voluntarily leaves. In Marchetti's case, he retaliated against those who sought to destroy him. In Southwell's case, a jury will decide, and regardless of the outcome of the trial, the evidence that will be discovered will show that indeed there was a conspiracy to fire Southwell. Who was behind the effort? Just wait. It'll all come out.
There should be no link between Southwell's activities outside the hospital and his care and skill as a emergency room nurse. The trial will point this out. In the contrary, Southwell's tireless effort to expose the management's bullying and harrassment of employees will show that he is really a champion for equality and justice. His entire effort was on behalf of hospital employees and the safety of patients. He has shown himself to be an excellent nurse. His co-workers will attest to this fact. Using his personal activities and political activities against him only magnifies the fact of the concerted effort to discredit him and his charges.
I sense that even now, there are people bent on discrediting Southwell sufficiently to reduce his chances of winning his case. Perhaps those who are involved with this conspiracy will be sued individually as well as collectively.
The names and the efforts to defame Southwell will all come out in the trial. I think the jury will be very interested to hear the truth.

normolson
normolson 03/19/12 - 02:13 pm
NLRB's Conclusion Points to Slander and Defamation of Character

The statement made by the NLRB's attorney is the most damning evidence against those who worked together to rid the CPH of Ray Southwell. Consider, "After months of investigation by NLRB attorney David Schaff, in Anchorage, they agreed, Southwell was unjustly and illegally fired from Central Peninsula Hospital."
The statement begs the question, "Why?" Why was Southwell unjustly and illegally fired? That he was is already established, but why needs to be published to all Peninsula residents (and taxpayers). And that deserved another answer: What measures did the management of CPH employ to slander and defame Southwell? Then another question: What did Southwell do to deserve termination?
As you can see, the NLRB has provided the platform for Southwell to not only be reinstated in his former position but to seek to have his name and reputation restored.
Southwell seeks justice and vindication. He has done nothing wrong but to blow the whistle on the abuse, harrassment, and bullying that was the employer's management's style.
A Biblical reference to Esther 3-6 seems apt. Haman's plot to destroy the Jews was discovered and the gallows he built for others was used for him.

Allen
Allen 03/19/12 - 04:26 pm
Show Us The Order

The title of the document in Ray Southwell's first post suggests that Ray is not giving the whole story. It looks like it's setting a hearing. That means that Ray's claims aren't decided yet, but Ray claims the NLRB has already decided. Notice that he doesn't give us a link to the documents so we can see for ourselves what is happening, we have to take Ray's "press release" on faith. Sorry, Ray doesn't have any that kind of credibility with me. Show me the documents.

Norseman 03/19/12 - 04:35 pm
Something is always a

Something is always a conspiracy for you two. This time it is our hospital, before it was the US gov't or the Japanese, or Y2K.

Calling this a press release makes it sound like you two are someone important. Usually someone of importance or significance will issue a press release. Are your egos really that big?

Many people get fired from their jobs every day and you do not see them issuing "press releases" or standing in the street corner wailing and whining about there lost job.

Nor do you see them shooting their ex employers.

Whackjobs and crackpots exist all over the place. Those who commit murder over a lost job fit into that category.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/19/12 - 07:52 pm
allen

Allen,

NLRB process.
I filed a complaint-they investigate-they decided CPH broke the law-They told CPH to hire me back, pay me back pay and most important, post a notice, in the hospital, they broke the law. Hospital said no.

NLRB starts the legal process on my behalf. Trial before an Administrative law Judge. If you e-mail me at raith51@yahoo.com I will be more than happy to send you the PDF file of the complaint from the Regional Director of the NLRB.

fact- when an individual at the hospital stands against the management style of CPH the conspiracy starts. In my case the CEO had Human Resources do a internet search of my name. They found newspaper articles about my understanding of the Constitution and felt it could be used against me. They copied the information off the net and handed it out to the public.

In the current article Dr. Krull is quoted “. . .we were told straight up by the administrator, If you do this , I will make your life very difficult and your reputation will be harmed in the community. . .”

So, if this is a correct quote and I show my documentation (others have also been treated this way) What do you think they had on Joseph Marchetti that broke him? I remember a nurse, who was unjustly, fired, stating she understood how a person could brake and do something terrible as Joseph did. BTW, that nurse I helped to get her job back.

Think about what we have allowed to go on at our community owned hospital.

Is this the kind of behavior we want at CPH? Is it only about profit and growth and the hell with the employees?

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/19/12 - 08:08 pm
norseman

Ongoing question.

Are you the administrator referenced by Dr. Krull in this article? What have you dug up on him that you believe will harm his reputation. Is it similar to what you dug up on me or is it like what you dug up on Joseph Marchetti?

granny
granny 03/19/12 - 09:32 pm
Stay on topic please

The topic is the hospital, Ray's militia involvement is a smoke screen. You may not give Ray any credibility, but you're hearing the same thing from people you can't discredit so easily. This is going to continue to be a cancerous topic until the hospital board admits to some past(hopefully) mistakes and asks for a do-over. I can understand how a certain someone figured he/ they could push an employee around (understand, not condone), but to think the same approach could be used with the doctors is really stupid. Really really stupid. We need a new approach for the sake of community. Mark Schrag

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/20/12 - 03:31 am
Mark Schrag

You hit the nail nail on the head. If we review the original article we will see the discussion about monetary cutbacks in the healthcare future. Some weeks ago I explained to the Borough Assembly what it takes to have a successful hospital business-Cooperation from owners, employees, doctors and management.

Were there any other healthcare professionals invited to this special meeting. Is this a problem with only the doctors. I can give you a list of employees that have been disciplined and/or fired and then it was rescinded or determined by outside legal professionals that the hospital behavior was illegal.

I can also give you a list of legislative changes around the country (including Alaska) when hands on nurses (not nurse management) lose input on patient care.

This is not a problem with just management. It goes to the hospital corporate board. I forgot a statement from the previous CEO, until recently. He once told me- “I was hired to clean up the imaging department”-and so he did.

The fight over healthcare dollars is occurring. We can see it between the doctors and management. We can see the fight between management and nurses through legislative action.

Does anyone really care? We must work together to save our community hospital. If the public does not demand it,we will end up with an empty building called Central Peninsula Hospital.

Norseman 03/20/12 - 07:36 am
Here you go again with that

Here you go again with that ego.

YOU explained to the borough what it takes to have a successful hospital-business-Cooperation from owners, employees, doctors, and management.

As the old saying goes, everyone has an opinion just like everyone has a .....

You sir are absolutely no one to be EXPLAINING to our borough how it should run. You do not have the background nor the expertise on the matter.

Your expertise lies with starting a new governement and overthrowing our existing one.

You feed off any event where you and your cohort norm can attempt to divide our community in anyway you can by continually being involved in contentious topics.
If they do not exist, then you fabricate stories that you post here and the redoubt reporter.
The topics are always the same. Always against authority, our governement, and why the militia is here to protect us when the time comes.

You two migrated here from Michigan to start a new militia and have tried unsuccessfully for the past 5 years to recruit any sizeable members.
You were involved with your Fairbanks chapter and had Cox down here to spread his bs. I see now he is in trial for attempting to overthrow our government along with weapons charges.
You lie with the dogs, you catch the fleas.
You two will always be associated with the domestic terrorist groups such as the militia and will never gain any foothold here with the people of this borough. We were all doing fine before you got here and we will be doing fine when you leave.

Ray should have never been hired in the first place. Everyone has a history and a reputation based on their actions and words. They all have weight when it comes down to hiring someone.
Some positions more so than others. Just review the 3 day interview process for the Superintendents in Anchorage. You think someone would miss the fact that not one of them belongs to a domestic terrorist organization calling themselves the militia?

The hospital should have reviewed your personal past and the lights should have come on flashing, "This guy has always brought problems with him."

Whether you were fired rightly or wrongly, the fact that you have been the only member of this community to constantly be in the media about being fired from a job says a lot. The rest of Alaskans deal with it. They may hire an attourney and sue, they may move on to a different job, or they may just move. They do not wail and knash their teeth at every street corner on how poorly they may have been mistreated.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/20/12 - 08:39 am

Few points

First-4 years before I was fired from CPH I was helping nurses who were unfairly punished at CPH.
2 years before I was fired I spoke and wrote publicly about the abusive management style of others at CPH . That is why I was fired-speaking on behalf of others.

Second-My expertise comes from the best learning experiences life can give through 43 years in the delivery of care to patients. 36 of those years as a Registered Nurse. I have studied and learned about the changes in Healthcare but experiences are always the best teacher.

The Borough Assembly look towards financial managers but ignore nurses who speak the truth.

Jerry
Jerry 03/20/12 - 08:24 pm
Granny is right when she

Granny is right when she explains that the topic shift seems to be a smoke screen by a certain some one.
I agree, for the short time i have been writing my opinion on the Clarions articles, that certain some one always seems to do exactly that pattern of regressing into ADHOMINEM, which means name calling or personal attacks on others that may differ from their opinion & getting off topic.

I agree, we all have an opinion, just like we all have an behind, some are cleaner than others and don't stink up the whole surroundings.

As i have said before this medical thing seems to be a desire to have a MONEYoply, but i was wrong once before so it could be happening again, even though it appears that's not the case here.

As Ron "Tater Salad" White, the commedian, says it, "Ya can't fix stupid," speaking of ALL humans in general.

I smell a Rat here wiith this entire deal & will look foreward to it's outcome on all issues.

How is this Revised version granny?

granny
granny 03/20/12 - 05:17 pm
I give up!!!

I give up!!!

leewaytooo
2053
leewaytooo 03/21/12 - 01:47 am
the psychotic "the only thing

the psychotic "the only thing timothy did wrong was to get caught".

neither the psychotic nor it's bed bug buddy have ever

denounced the child killing "timothy".

will the psychotic show up for the "trials" wearing it's

gee dunk ribbon?

Jerry
Jerry 03/21/12 - 08:15 am
so please explain to me just

so please explain to me just exactly who determines whom to be Pyschotic? When i look at life & people we all can be classified in that catagory by someone with differant ideals of opinions, now can't we all?
Even if we think we have it all together in OUR little space in life, there is someone that deems everyone of us as a psyco for one reason or another, so who is right & who is wrong? Each one of us has to determine that for our selves according to the rules, the only problem is that the rules keep changing, that is to say mans rules ment to govern our selves by.
So what happens when the rules continually change?
It leaves all of us without any idea of whats right or wrong, floundering for answers and with no ability to judge others according to the rules what so ever.

What a mess OUR rules have gotten all the world into.

normolson
normolson 03/21/12 - 11:16 am
Bloggers Worst Side Shows Ray's Best Quality

There are two bloggers who have waged a 3-year long d hominem attacks against Ray Southwell. Their accusations, lies, and character attack have definitely painted them for what they really is, but the vindictive barrage has actually served a very beneficial purpose. To his own credit, Ray's calm demeanor under such fierce verbal attacks is a tribute to Ray's spirit of kindness and patience, the very characteristics that mark true healers. Emergency Room nurses are unlike any in the hospital. They deal with frightened, frantic, and erratic people who are stressed beyond anything we could imagine, yet they deal with these people constantly. No nurse in any hospital puts up with more stress and unexpected circumstances than those who work in the Emergency Room. But in spite of this, Ray Southwell, carries out his job calmly and deliberately, returning words of encouragement and hope to those who say and do things to him that would make us wonder why he takes is day after day.
The accusations and lies about Ray are cruel and cutting, but they have no affect on the sterling quality of Ray's character. This I find is quite remarkable. Ray’s unshakeable self-confidence and extraordinary skill as an EM Nurse has made him imperious to continual onslaught of his misguided critics. It’s quite a remarkable contrast. What these bloggers have meant as evil against Ray has actually turned out well.

Norseman 03/21/12 - 02:44 pm
Once our community received

Once our community received word that you two and a few of your fellow milita members were relocating here, we knew it was going to be nothing but trouble. After all, you both had long track records of just that.
There is plenty of documentation of just how far to the extreme fringe of society both of you are.
Constantly stating you are ready to draw a line in the sand for one final showdown shows you are constantly agitating to start a fight.

Members of this communtiy were never looking forward to ex michigan militia moving here. That is your right as a citizen but do not expect us to ever welcome you with open arms.

Almost all recent data involving militias or it's members has resulted in murders, terrorism, threats of terrorism, attempts and charges at overthrowing our government, bombings, etc.

Both of your words and actions preceded you and what you have done while here has just confirmed on what happens to an area when you, ray, and a few of your militia "settle in."

You have no one to blame but yourselfs for the reputations you have earned and are continuing to earn.

The fact that you are involved and friends with people like schaffer cox bring home the fact that militias and its members are up to no good.

All anyone has to do is spend a few minutes on google and they can learn much about you, ray, and the militia and all the pain it has caused innocent American citizens.

Quit trying to portray yourselfs as the liknesses of JFK, Martin Luther King, and Mary Theresa. When the FBI and Homeland Security must keep track of you two at all times proves my point.

I for one do not feel that ray should have ever been hired in the first place. Just having experience in the job doesn't cut it anymore. Psych evals, background checks, interviewing previous contacts, etc is now common in employment. Why someone would have hired him with all of his baggage is what needs investigating.
That persons mistake in hiring will probably end up costing us taxpayers.
Proves my opening statement about bringing nothing but trouble.

History has proven my point, and the unwritten history will just validate it. Every year we read about some whacked out militia member or group either planning or carrying out some dirty deed against inncoent civilians or against our nation.

That is why we call it domestic terrorism. There a lot more of us fighting domestic terrorisim then you will ever imagine.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 03/21/12 - 02:56 pm

WOW, I had no idea on how well read you are.

Believing all that you read on the Net. Cool, I bet you would have made a great Nazi-arresting Jews based on what you read about them from some government source.

No trial needed-Lock-em up.

witchwitch
witchwitch 03/21/12 - 03:01 pm
Ad Hominem attacks

There are two primary reasons that people resort to name calling and personal attacks.

First, they are unable to argue the facts, either because they have no factual basis for their argument or they are unable to construct such an argument.

Secondly, the facts do not support their argument, so they attempt to construct fear and mistrust against the messenger of the opposing opinion.

When you're credible, there's no reason to resort to childish behavior, such as name calling and ad hominem attacks. Ray certainly appears to be credible, while his credibility was apparently recognized by the National Labor Relations Board....