• Broken clouds
    Broken clouds

Mediation process ends for negotiations

Posted: May 2, 2012 - 7:08pm

The two unions that represent the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District employees and the district left mediation Wednesday with the two biggest issues — health care and salary still on the table.

The current collective bargaining agreement contract expires June 30. Since an agreement was not reached during mediation, the two sides have a chance to participate in bargaining. Arbitration has not yet been scheduled.

“The school district has asked the associations to meet to continue collective bargaining,” KPBSD Communications Specialist Pegge Erkeneff said.

There was some progress made during the mediation process, however. The district and the Kenai Peninsula Education Association reached a tentative agreement on three sections of their contract going back to the language in the current contract, most notably section 550, regarding the agency fee. The agency fee is what non-KPEA members pay in order to be represented by the union. KPEA President LaDawn Druce said in a February interview that the agency fee is $863 for certified employees that do not choose to be a member of KPEA. The dues for KPEA members is $1,152 for full time teachers. In earlier negotiations, the district proposed to strike the part of the section that says, “however, all employees who choose not to join KPEA shall be required as condition of employment to pay a representation fee to KPEA.”

“I would like to say at this point we are certainly happy that is off the table and agreed to,” Druce said Wednesday. “When we got (the district’s) initial proposal, that was the most shocking thing to me.”

The Kenai Peninsula Educational Support Association and the district reached a tentative agreement on several items, including the agency fee article.

On Monday, the bargaining team from KPEA and KPESA presented the district with an updated health care proposal going in to mediation. In the new proposal, the unions are asking the district to make a 90 percent contribution of the health care program (estimated at $1,600 per employee per month) and employees to make a 10 percent contribution of the cost of the program for the three years of the contract. Under the unions’ proposal, the district would pay $1,440 per month per employee and the employee would pay $160 per month.

robert white
robert white 05/03/12 - 09:19 am
health care

Drop the health care and pay the fine to the US government for not adhering to Obama health care!! That way we can give big union raises to protect the worthless few!

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 05/03/12 - 10:20 am
@Robert White

Bob, I know there are educators out there that in fact should not be teachers. However, the argument can be made in any workplace, union or non union. I have worked in both circumstances in a field other than education and the difference I find is that favoritism plays a larger roll in the non union sector. An employee that should obviously be let go isn't because he or she has falsely fallen into favor with the boss. One who is more suited for the job is let go because he/she for some reason has fallen in to disfavor with the employer.
I do agree that the union(s) need to work more fervently to determine what is and what is not wrongful discipline or termination. When a union simply defends an employee regardless of infraction or guilt there of, they do the entire membership a disservice. Unions were originally brought forth to protect workers from unfair labor practices by the employer.
Concerning the Obama Healthcare ... it has yet to be determined if this law will survive the Supreme Court. I doubt it! However, the healthcare system is broken and needs to have some sort of fix. We can not simply continue down the present path. Last year, healthcare providers were stuck with unpaid bills that amounted to nearly $40 billion. That amount is projected to triple in the next five years under the current system. Who do you believe pays those bills? We do! In higher insurance premiums and higher healthcare costs. It's not an endless cycle. But at the current rate, the end will soon come! We simply cannot continue status quo. The US currently spends more per capita than any other nation on earth on healthcare nearly doubling what the #2 country pays. This includes single payer nations. There are many solutions, but I don't believe Obamacare is one of them.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 05/03/12 - 07:36 pm
Amazing KK When i state the

Amazing KK
When i state the obvious state of the World not being able to continue this status quo journey down the road to global distruction, all of which will lead to world wide economic collapse you make fun of me. As i warn others that at the current rate of decline we are in & how the end will soon come, you make fun of these observations as well. Yet i am glad to see you are doing the exact thing about health care and economics which i totally agree with you on, it's a scam from the get go this health care sharing equally. It's just one more of the GR8 Dividers schemes to cause class warfare.
I will say very good on finally understanding that we can't continue down this road of economic distruction with out a national collapse, all of which will usher in the desired Global collapse that has been designed & planned for such a time as this.
The OWO is coming just as Gods word says it will in the end of days in Revelation 13; and yes, some of us can see it clearly as we try to warn others of what you said, the end will soon come, then what are you going to put your trust in? The amazing thing is that Obama & his cronies are boldly stating their intent of a OWO yet people seem to think their words mean nothing just because most of the time they don't. Sometimes they do mean exactly what they say & it spells National and Global collapse any day now so they can step foreward with their savior & world leader of Union One.

Jeremiah 6:17

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 05/04/12 - 08:06 am
Jerry

I don't believe I've made fun of you since my "nuttier than squirrel poop" post which I believe I apologized for. I believe in logical discussion and respectful debate. If you feel I have been disrespectful, please let me know and I most certainly will do my best to correct myself.
Just because we disagree on most things does not necessarily mean I am making fun of you. I realize (as you have stated) opinions are like noses, everyone has one. But truthfully Jerry, it seems sometimes like you have many noses concerning a litany of subjects. However, all the noses have the same theme in the end... OWO.
The simple fact that I don't tie EVERYTHING to OWO or agree with your theories or beliefs does not necessarily mean I am making fun of you.
I'm going to be honest with you. And I am not poking fun and I am not trying to be spiteful or disrespectful ... but I sometimes look at your posts just to see how you tie a visitors center or Cook Inlet or graffiti on a high school or a senators vote or oil taxes or how the readers poll on how busy visitors season will be or the readers poll on "Will the Packers go undefeated" and finally the teacher mediation to OWO. However, for the most part you are on my ignore list, because it's always the same central "opinion" no matter the subject and to be truthful, it gets boring, predictable and monotonous! It's always the same no matter the subject. But somehow, out of either respect or curiosity, I occasionally check out your nose (opinion) to see if anything has changed.
In advance, I apologize if I offended you or if you perceive me to be making fun of you in any way.

witchwitch
witchwitch 05/04/12 - 08:46 pm
Health care costs are too high

I'd like to see some data supporting the equity of receiving over $1400 per month for health care benefits. I doubt that the average non-government worker receives even half that much in employer contributions for health care insurance. In as much as all taxpayers are forced to pay for these benefits, I'd like to see how their proposed benefit package compares with the private sector.

I have seen some ridiculously astronomical bills from people being treated at the Soldotna hospital. Health care is not affordable for most people that I know. Forcing those of us who struggle to pay local taxes to fund extravagant health care benefits does not solve any of my problems.

If local people, who actually pay the taxes can't afford this level of benefits, how is this equitable? Everyone can't work for the borough government.

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 05/04/12 - 11:25 pm
witchwitch

In the days of stronger private sector unions, the full medical insurance premium with a 20% co-pay was paid as a negotiated benefit. However, that is neither here nor there. Why is it that we used to strive for what others had? Why is it now that if we can't have it, the other guy shouldn't have it either?

The fact is, private or public, unions have the best medical benefits because they negotiated for them.

As for public sector unions ... I could go on and on about the pro's and con's. However, I feel it is the campaign finance as it is currently applied. Big business supports one candidate or another and the labor movement supports another. Once one or the other is elected they are beholding to who ever (paid to) put them in office. They serve their master ... who happens to not be their constituency. Campaign reform is needed to right this ship! Not tearing everyone else down.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 05/04/12 - 10:16 pm
Thanks KK i feel the same

Thanks KK i feel the same about you as you continue to spout all kinds of info that only proves exactly what i am saying with every post, which is we can't keep going on as we are and the End is coming soon. That is the End of this worlds individual nations and soverignity of any people and a global economic collapse which will lead to the slavery of ALL people. Did ya see any news of this weekends elections in Europe or the collapse of nations due to their economic troubles, all of which will lead to debt defaults, all of which is exactly what America is about to do as well.
Have a GR8 weekend and please consider this my last post or comment to you as you always seem to just refuse the obvious coming global collapse and do make fun of those like me that are trying to warn others to prepare, while all the while making my case and points more viable.

Jeremiah 6:17

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 05/04/12 - 11:42 pm
Where have I made fun of you

Where have I made fun of you or anyone else? Please be specific as to the posts other than the one mentioned previously, in which you feel I have made fun of your opinion or someone else's. In this way I can correct a behavior I definitely do not want to have. Sharing information is the key to education. If you can not provide such information, I will assume you have imagined it.

I state the facts as I find them. I most certainly do not imply that my facts are flawless. I do however, do my research in more than one place and form a basic opinion based on that information. If my facts support your beliefs, that Jerry, is your prerogative. I see things differently than you but that does not mean I am making fun of you. And that absolutely does not make either one of us right or wrong.

I respect your faith and your belief in the coming end. You and I have a common belief in that regard. We simply disagree on the timetable. Yes, the world is in a state of economic and political chaos. Is it the end? I don't believe so and you do! We agree to disagree!!! Pretty simple!

Respectfully, sincerely and truthfully, I do apologize if my posts imply any sort of belittlement. They are not intended to be as such.

For all other posters to this blog, I apologize to you as well for wondering off topic. I will do my best to stick to the subject matter in the future.

Sincerely,
KK

witchwitch
witchwitch 05/05/12 - 12:45 am
KK

To dismiss my concern that the cost is too high by assuming that I believe, "if we can't have it, the other guy shouldn't have it" is the same as saying that we should just pay the premium whatever the cost, perhaps hoping that it will somehow raise everyone's standard of living.

I don't want to deny anyone benefits that are equitable.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 05/05/12 - 09:36 am
KK your right, i do apoIogize

KK your right, i do apoIogize back to you and it's OK if we disagree, which is exactly whats happening world wide but with hate and death being spread by many as they seek their own desires, something that i do not do is threaten others even if i think they are wrong. You have apologized and do have many good things and info that i do appreciate as you know how to study & obtain info better than i.
Thanks KK and have a GR8 weekend.
Jerry

I have worked both sides of this issue and find that both sides, union & nonunion have major problems.
I left the south due to nonunion employeers that would lie and use people up. I have worked union the last 40 yrs and also find the very same people or traites in each of wanting something for nothing. There are people that are users & should never be paid the amounts i was paid as they did nothing in any way to earn the same benefits i did other than belong to the union. Is that fair or right, i don't think so but thats the way it is. The unions were formed by church groups & womens rights groups to help protect people from abuse of employeers, it's gone to the other side now and become the abuser of peoples rights and everything is allowed if ya belong, but woe unto you if you don't.
Make no mistake folks i appreciated the union that did protect me, from power hungry controlers, but i also see how it has now become the tool for global control of everyone and will help usher in a single world union for all. All that refuse to join this coming world union will be singled out and restricted from any forms of commerce needed to survive. Revelation 13; once again shows this coming union & leader and requirements demanded for survival now but not eternally.
This union will hunt down & kill all that refuse to join though as Revelation 20; shows for all that come out of the tribulation of the last 3 1/2 yrs of this world union.

It's class warfare thats now being used and the promise of Free stuff if you join or support Obama's Dream Act Union of One, all in all it's a means of causing greedy lazy people to hate others that have worked for what they have and want whats not theirs with out working for it. Not good for anyone this Union thats coming.
My reason of always reverting back to or including what God says is coming in his word, the Bible is that everything in life always comes back around to his eternal plans, it's that circle of life thing.
I always say that the Bible is this, B asic I nstructions B efore L eaving E arth and it's for everyone even if they don't believe it and will some day usher in the End just as God says and it's my job to try and warn people that they need to decide which way they will vote with their single eternal vote. Now thats gonna be an eternal health care plan that will cost people nothing other than saying yes i accept that Free offering from God in his son Yeshua by joining his rightious union of One.

Jeremiah 6:17

jlmh
jlmh 05/05/12 - 09:05 am
KenaiKid is the only

KenaiKid is the only commenter on any of these articles that provides supporting data for his/her arguments. Others just mine his posts for select information or philosophize without any relevant information at all.

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 05/06/12 - 10:20 am
mining blogs for information

jlmh, thank you for your comment. I do appreciate it very much. I tune in to the Clarion blog and a number of others to gain information and opinions from others that I may overlook. The sharing of information and opinions is vital to forming ones own logical opinion. I am not infallible! I welcome correction and accurate information. Obviously, it is human nature to seek out facts that support ONLY ones own position. I try not to do that ... but like I said, it is human nature and I am human!

witchwitch,
I may have made it sound like I was referring to you in my comment concerning union vs non union medical benefit and truthfully, I may very well have intended it that way subconsciously. But to correct myself, in general, society has taken that stand of "if I can't have it, why should anyone else?" We need to work more collectively to attain the benefits we need and bring the middle class back into a growing segment of our society rather than a shrinking one.

In regards to campaign reform: As it is currently, labor supports one side of the political spectrum and business the other. Neither has campaign contribution limits nor do they have to declare to whom or how much they contribute to that campaign (Supreme Court ruling 2010) in effect making these special interests (some foreign corporations) more financially capable of determining an election. Generally speaking, the candidate or party who garners the most campaign dollars wins! 3/4 of a billion dollars won the last presidential campaign. Money determines the outcome more than it should. When a party or candidate is elected, their allegiance is to the major contributers, NOT the voters who elected them. What's worse, if the candidate serves the special interest (unions or corporations) to that special interests satisfaction, they will be re-elected using a war chest supplied mainly by those special interests.

And finally, you stated: "I don't want to deny anyone benefits that are equitable." We need to determine was is equitable and what is not. I realize times changes, but in the 60's and 70's, more employees were covered in part or in whole by employer insurance benefit and in the last decade that number has declined at a record pace. Ironically, the number covered now has dwindled on roughly the same pace as the decline of collective bargaining.

Supreme Court Ruling:

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 05/07/12 - 11:02 pm
Please excuse me if i say

Please excuse me if i say that i don't click on anyones web sites for any reason so i really don't know if KK is providing any extra data for anything that he posts.
I will say that it does appear that KK does know and research many topics and provide much information. Do i always agree? No i don't, but this is also the same opinion that he expresses with my posts and i appreciate that about him.

Revelation 13:16-17

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 05/08/12 - 05:47 am
Informational links

Jerry, the links I provide are safe. Most are to government offices such as the supreme court ,government accounting office, bureau of labor statistics... Etc or sometimes (rarely) well established newspapers.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 05/08/12 - 01:24 pm
KK i figured that they were

KK i figured that they were safe, as are mine. I have clicked on links from Greta wire when it was up & going and they were not safe inspite of the titles. I wish Greta wire was still going as i had some people i liked talking to.
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this tool, i wish i was and i am learning more each day i spend on this puter so i'm careful where i go & what i click onto.
I once tried to go to Preacher Joel Osteen site i looked up on google to let him know exactly how i felt about him, which at the time was not very good pertaining to his views. I clicked on this site that said Joel Osteen and got 89 trojan horse viruses and had to take my puter to the puter doc for some cleansing, so i rarely go surfing sites.
I do appreciate your info which i read & even learn a few things from you all of which does make me wonder where you do work and have suspicions, but there is no malice intended due to who you are or where you do work.
I have always been a good judge of character of people usually by what i see & hear them say & do in a consistant manner which helps me determine that you mean well even if we do disagree with our view of Gods renewable resources.
We all can veer off on occasions but usually we are fairly consistant in our patterns and actions or speech, all of which can be used for good or evil against us all due to these patterns. It helps determine who is who and is there really one or two, or more your talking too on any blogging site.

Revelation 13:16-17