Former CPH nurse's hearing ends

Posted: May 17, 2012 - 8:37pm

A recent hearing investigating allegations of unfair labor practices filed by a former Central Peninsula Hospital nurse who was fired from his post in October 2010 concluded Thursday.

The National Labor Relations Board requested the hearing before an administrative law judge to determine if Ray Southwell’s allegations were true and required action from the federal board. The hearing started on Tuesday and included Southwell, an NLRB attorney and CPH attorneys and officials and others.

The judge did not issue a decision, but John Fawley, attorney for NLRB’s Region 19 said it would likely be several months before the judge does so. Both sides’ legal briefs are due on June 21. Either side can settle the case before the judge’s decision through one of two avenues — with or without the NLRB included, Fawley said.

If the hospital chooses to settle with the NRLB, it would likely mean reinstatement and back pay for Southwell. If CPH settles with Southwell only, the NLRB can give an opinion on the settlement, Fawley said.

“My concerns were expressed during the trial and we’ll see what the judge feels,” Southwell said.

CPH Chief Executive Officer Rick Davis said he had no comment on the hearing.

The NLRB’s cases stem from allegations filed by Southwell detailing the reasons he said he was given for his termination in 2010. Specifically, one of the two charges relates to Southwell’s criticism of CPH’s management style and “bullying” before and after the November 2008 hospital shooting.

A second allegation centers on CPH rules relating to the behavior of employees, their conduct and outside activity that might interfere or conflict with hospital operations.

“We are alleging the action that was taken against him in disciplining him and ultimately discharging him was done on an illegal basis,” said Anne Pomerantz, acting regional director of the NLRB for Region 19, in an April interview. “We are saying the reason underpinning it was unlawful.”

The judge will issue a decision and file a recommended order that will then go to the NLRB board in Washington, D.C. The NLRB seeks “make whole solutions,” including rescission of unlawful rules, rescission of the discipline and reinstatement, Pomerantz said. The judge can agree with all, none or part of Southwell’s allegations.

Southwell said he was happy to have his concerns heard. He said he is more glad to have the case off his chest than he is concerned about the case’s outcome.

“I feel like I’m done,” Southwell said. “I told my wife, ‘I can’t do this anymore.’ Unless these nurses tell me that (the bullying) is still going on, then I’ll be back in the media. But I’m done and I can’t do anymore.”

Brian Smith can be reached at brian.smith@peninsulaclarion.com.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 05/29/12 - 04:34 am
Free Speech

I fought for the right of free speech,and I do believe.There is not one American that will criticize my right to do so.They may not agree with what I say,But they will not deny me from doing so.I also DO NOT have the militia state of mind.

Norseman 05/29/12 - 06:38 am
Does anyone remember how it

Does anyone remember how it was before the militia decided to relocate here after being booted from the michigan militia for being TOO EXTREME?
Now we have to read posting after paranoid posting on how evil our government is and that we better side up with the miltia if we ever hope of having a chance to survive.
Somehow some one at cpgh thought it was a good idea to hire someone who belongs to a movement that it and it's members are monitored by the FBI.

Well fast forward to today and just see what that poor decision is costing the borough taxpayer.

Now today olsen posts another blog on this rag warning all of us that the fbi are ready to snatch our guns and we better get prepared.
Does the name COX ring a bell? He was under the same paranoid delusions that law enforcement, tsa, and others were sending out armed special government squads and he needed body gaurds to protect him. And if they crossed the line, he would kill two for every one (241). Just check his hitlist to see who's names he had listed.
Just look back on who invited that whackjob down here and invited him to be a guest speaker. Lay with the dogs, you catch the fleas.....

These are not patriots. They are domestic extremists. Just ask the FBI. This isn't 1776. They are not Madison or Jefferson. Seditionists and traitors are always trying to overthrow our country and it's government.

I for one do not one penny of my very hard earned money to be spent paying someones salary who belongs to such a movement. Might as well be sending Al Quiadah a check, or the KKK, or Aryan nation, or some other hate/terrorists group. group.

You are right spw & raulduke, this will never be over. The miltia sideshow will always be inflaming any issue that will promote their domestic extremist movement. They will capitalize on or create an issue that they can then use to try and divide our community.
This is the same tactic they used in michigan. Always looking to make that final stand somewhere. Locked and loaded, ready to kill if necessary. This is one reason why they are monitored by the FBI.

Remember back to pre militia days. We ALASKANS have always been prepared to take care of each other when needed. Without the help of militias or the government. Just us, friends, families, and neighbors.
Those who want to start their own government or country are free to leave this one.
The rest of us who love this land will fight against anyone, foreign or DOMESTIC who thinks about harming our great country.
I am glad my taxes are no longer being spent on paying some militia members salary.
I just hope we never let our gaurd down for one minute with extremists. That could be a mistake that all of would regret. Just ask the friends and families of Oklahoma city or 911.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/29/12 - 07:53 am
Free Speech

Ah Yes, Free Speech. Government has other plans to control it.

In our public school system we are taught to comply with the rules and how we should be liked by others.

As adults, we fear the IRS, TSA, FBI and many other alphabet government agencies. If we object to government’s behavior we are called extremists. People do not like me.

Most keep their mouth shut. Keep their head below the governments radar and hope everybody likes them.

I believe the future is more important than people liking me or having fear control my life. I climb the mountain of government lies, shouting the truth as I go, about the abuses in government.

I love my country and my grandchildren too much to do otherwise.

It is my responsibility.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/29/12 - 08:47 am
Does anyone remember how it

Does anyone remember how it was before the Banking collapse of 2007-2008 after being “too big to fail?”

Now we have to read posting after paranoid posting on how evil I am and how our government is here to make us feel better with the ongoing economic collapse.

Somehow some one at the Federal government thought it was a good idea to hire individuals in the Justice Department and FBI who belongs to a movement that ignores due process and the Constitution and it's members are monitored by nobody.

Well fast forward to today and just see what that poor decision is costing the national taxpayer.

Does the name Dr. Frederick Whitehurst ring a bell? He received 1.1 million dollars of tax payer money from the FBI for their retaliation, on him, as a whistleblower concerning FBI practices

Now today Norseman posts another blog on this Paper warning all of us that the militia are ready to to destroy lives we better lock them all up.
Does anybody remember President Kennedy Assassination and all those whackjobs who believed in some kind of conspiracy including the US Congress.

These corrupt FBI agents and Attorneys are not patriots. They are domestic extremists. Just ask the militia. This isn't 1776. They are not Madison or Jefferson. Seditionists and traitors are always trying to overthrow our country and it's Constitutional government.

I for one do not one penny of my very hard earned money to be spent paying someones salary who belongs to such a movement. Might as well be sending Al Quiadah a check, or the KKK, or Aryan nation, or some other hate/terrorists group like the FBI and Judicial Department.

You are right spw & raulduke, this will never be over. The FBI/attorneys sideshow will always be inflaming any issue that will promote their domestic extremist movement. They will capitalize on or create an issue that they can then use to try and divide our community.

This is the same tactic they used throughout the Nation. Always looking to make that final stand somewhere. Locked and loaded, ready to kill if necessary.

Remember back to pre Bank collapse days. We ALASKANS have always been prepared to take care of each other when needed. Without the help of FBI or the government. Just us, friends, families, and neighbors. (Militia)

I wish my taxes were no longer being spent on paying some FBI members salary.

I just hope we never let our guard down for one minute with extremists. That could be a mistake that all of would regret. Just ask the friends and families of the 3000 people who were convicted on the corrupt information of the FBI and Federal attorneys involved. (Do not forget the Conviction of a sitting US Senator Ted Stevens).

Norseman 05/29/12 - 09:49 am
wow, musta struck a nerve.

wow, musta struck a nerve. rendered you speechless to the point you plagarized my post.

My money is on the FBI.

FBI thumbs up........militia thumbs down.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/29/12 - 10:20 am

I also plagiarizer your previous post. Just wanted to show how foolish you are.

Thumbs up for the people and our future.

Norseman 05/29/12 - 12:52 pm
foolish?.....lol...well at

foolish?.....lol...well at least I am not nicknamed by the FBI as yogi and boo boo.......

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/29/12 - 09:11 pm

Ah yes, boo boo,

I remember him, not the smartest bear in the woods but the most kind and caring bear in the woods.

I guess it is how the FBI sees me, kind and caring but not very smart. I agree.

I think I would rather be kind and caring than smart like you.