• Overcast, light rain
    Overcast, light rain

Oil drilling waste site proposed near Nikiski

Posted: June 29, 2012 - 9:02am

The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation is looking for public feedback on an application for a solid waste permit submitted by a local energy support company to build an oil and gas drilling waste disposal site in Nikiski.

Kenai-based AIMM Technologies, Inc., has asked the state to consider a monofill to accept drilling waste from Cook Inlet oil and gas exploration and production activities that generally contain soil, gravel, drilling muds and sometimes hydrocarbons, according to a press release issued by Nathaniel Emery, environmental program specialist with Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation. Monofills are landfills intended only for a single type of waste, Emery said.

According to the application, AIMM is permitting for 15,000 tons per year of drilling waste exempt from the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and 1,000 tons per year of RCRA nonexempt, nonhazardous waste listed as hydrocarbon contaminated soil. The site is to be in the industrial section of Nikiski at the end of Bakers Road, also known as Halliburton Road, on a 10-acre property.

Kelly Martin, Alaska Regional Manager for AIMM Technologies, said the combined 16,000 tons per year is an "estimate" and the actual disposal rate would depend on increased drilling activity in Cook Inlet.

He said the monofill will provide another option for many of the smaller independent oil exploration companies in Cook Inlet that don't have the infrastructure set up to dispose such waste.

"I can't say necessarily how much we will be accepting at the waste site over the course of any single year," he said.

According to the permit, waste will be first treated at the drilling site by being passed over a shale shaker or equipment to remove excess water prior to transport. Those remaining solids will be drill cuttings, which are returned to the surface from drilling activities with a drilling mud that acts as a lubricant in the exploration process, Martin said.

The permitted hydrocarbon contaminated soil would be nonhazardous, Martin said.

"Still contaminated with hydrocarbons, but not to a level that would make the waste hazardous," he said. "There are multiple determinations for whether or not a waste is hazardous. Typically contaminated soils are authorized by the DEC for disposal. This cell would be one option, the borough landfill also accepts contaminated soil to a certain level and there are other options in the state as well."

Martin said many of the large oil companies in the area have their own waste cell systems.

"The only thing different about this cell is that it is privately held," he said. "In a nutshell this cell is being constructed for the benefit of all and not just for one specific drilling operation, but for multiple drilling operations."

The monofill would be a system of three lined cells so that as one cell fills up, it can be permanently capped with an impermeable liner, then covered with a layer of gravel and topsoil so vegetation can be replanted on top of it, Martin said. The smaller cell system is designed to minimize waste exposure, as opposed to one large cell that could take a long time to fill, he said.

Each cell will be double-lined with a leak detection system installed between layers to notify the operator if there is a breech in the primary liner, he said.

The facility design also includes annual groundwater monitoring at six locations around the facility to ensure groundwater resources are protected, Emery wrote in the release. AIMM states in its application there are no surface water bodies or streams located within 200 feet of the property's boundary and no drinking water wells exist within 500 feet of the waste footprint.

Martin said the facility would likely not accept hydraulic fracturing fluid.

"That fluid by regulation is exempt and would qualify, but it is not our intent to take water at the facility," he said. "Now there is sand that is used in the fracking process which would be suitable for disposal."

AIMM has proposed a public meeting to discuss the application although no date or time has been set, Martin said.

"This is still pretty new and we are taking in what we hear," he said. "We've told the operators in the inlet about our intentions and it's been well received and something that's been needed."

More information can be found at http://dec.alaska.gov/eh/sw/index.htm in the right-hand column.

Written comments are being accepted on the proposal through 5 p.m. on July 23. Comments can be mailed to: Nathaniel Emery, ADEC, Solid Waste Program, 555 Cordova Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99501. Fax: 907-269-7600; email: nathaniel.emery@alaska.gov.

Brian Smith can be reached at brian.smith@peninsulaclarion.com.

gtri
gtri 06/30/12 - 08:32 am
waste site

I feel it big mistake to let aimms tech. service to build an waste site.if you call around,oil companys,they dnt call aimms, try marthon oil&gas k-beach, they have an inject site evertime aimms comes out there something gos wrong with trks or opertor of the truck, with spill or wrong info.,that on truck.,so there trying to get there own.I feel it wrong idea..

gerganamcgahan2012
gerganamcgahan2012 06/30/12 - 02:32 pm
aganst this permit

hello, we have Facebook group 'Nikiski residents against AIMM Technologies proposed solid waste dump' with over 300 concerned residents , this is the link :

please join and see what we can do to stop this!

if you don't have Facebook you can safely print the letter against the waste dump permit by clicking at:

urgent.northernstardesign.com

file is named ATTENTION.DOC

or e-mail me at gergana.mcgahan@gmail.com and i will send you a copy.

Blueice88@mac.com
Blueice88@mac.com 06/30/12 - 12:00 pm
Why Oil companies have better ways to treat drill cuttings

The oil companies have better ways of treating and disposing of any drilling and production waste. All companies plan for disposing of there waste before drilling. They have permitted and approved beneficial reuse of drill cuttings that have been used for years here. The Companies dispose of fluids in there wells that are a mile deep or more and recycle the usable solids for building material on there sites. Marathon Oil company was one of the first companies that lead the way for a more environmental friendly handling of material. A waste DUMP cell is just a waste of space and will lead to operators abuse for money. AIMM is an out of state company that will run when things go wrong. WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL when Alaska has a tried and proven system in place?????? Remember the same type of waste cells that were at Sterling? The State (we) had to pay and clean up and close the site.

myron mcgahan
myron mcgahan 06/30/12 - 11:56 am
Land ownership

Good Day,

My name is myron mcgahan.

I am one of the parcel owners adjoining Aimm's proposed waste "DUMP" site.

I have never been contacted by AIMM, the Kenai Peninsula Borough or anyone about any plans for the waste dump they are "PLANNING" to put behind my land that I have been working on for years.

All people I have talked to say they would never want this in their back yard.

SO far 305 people on facebook are against this open waste dump these are local residents.

Please join us to contest this waste dump in Nikiski.

Everyone I have spoken to in our community with is against this idea.

This is not what our community needs.

The owner of this company is not from Alaska.

If they can try to do this in our back yard why not in yours also?

Here is the link for the facebook if anyone wants to join us against these people.

If anyone wants to see my property or contact me in regards to this fight I can be reached at 907-690-1552.

thank you all for your time and help in this matter.
Myron McGahan
35 year resident of nikiski.

freedomlibertytruth
freedomlibertytruth 06/30/12 - 07:00 pm
questions about oil drilling waste issues, article is vague.

Is the waste from Kenai, Nikiski, or Cook Inlet drilling?
Cook Inlet only correct?

If so do the drilling companies pay taxes, royalties to Nikiski? How much revenue does Nikiski recieve from drilling companies? Will this new waste company pay Nikiski?

If it pays, How many millions of dollars does it pay to Nikiski?

Where have they been sending their drilling waste up to now?
Are their other waste sites on the Peninsula that can be held as examples.

What is the exact location that is proposed? Can you show us on a map? is it near schools, homes, businesses?

is it going on Federal land, state land or private land?

What is the proven documented dangers of waste to people, environment, wildlife?

What are the alternative locations on the Peninsula that could be used? Or across the inlet from the Peninsula?

Who owns this business anyhow? Alaskans, Russians, native corporations, regular small business Joes? Has anyone local spoken with them, can they be reasoned with?

Can the reporter that wrote this article research this further for the concerned Nikiski residents?

gtri
gtri 06/30/12 - 07:08 pm
waste site

I need know something is this the same land that the old r&l own where they had an sewer dumping area 10 or 15 yrs ago??maybe call lover land rd could be wrong on road name. at nikiski area other company sold do to poor bussines,[I WORK FOR THEM SHORT TIME LIKE 2WKS NOT GOING BY THE LAW. an quit] or is it out
next to mcgahan air feild.. same company had problem over on west side.} an was ran off.by oil&gas drilling companys.. And by the way most these,company are from outside.and marthon started first inject down hold .waste site.,I've been here 58yrs,and i know,swanson riVER has the old one. there own inject site.east side inject waste.looking @ north slop one the bigs inject site.. d'nt need waste holding area, with all the inject site that go down over a mile. and dosn't do anything with your water. And yes drilling company use all or most of there fluildssometime called cutting or waste gs back down hold and stayes...gt

kksalm
kksalm 07/03/12 - 06:48 am
At least so far it's "proposed"

In Kenai it'd be a done deal. Look for the clear cut, something's coming to expand the tax base. What's the deal with having to cut down ALL the trees? Anyway, good luck Nikiski, you'll need it.
Here's an interesting read
Have a wonderful day

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 07/11/12 - 11:35 am
spwright 07/03/12 - 08:54 am
Not In My BackYard

7/3/12 Well I can understand Why a Alaska Resident would NOT want a Open Pit Drilling Waste Dump located right next to his private property. That's Logical & makes good sense.

What I do NOT understand is how Butt Ugly, Toxic, Rusting
JUNK YARDS are tolerated all over the Kenai Peninsula.
Where ever You travel outside of a City Limits you will discover these Junk Yards that slowly leak & contaminate the ground & the underground water source. Think of all of the fluids that are used in a motor vehicle. All of which leak & seep into the soil & water.

Peninsula Residents will Raise Hell about a PROPOSED
Waste Dump or a Pebble Mine but are not the least bit concerned with a Rusty Ole JUNK YARD that already exist
& they drive by that mess each & every day.
It's a Mystery to me ?

SPW

freedomlibertytruth
freedomlibertytruth 07/03/12 - 11:22 am
ManInBlack & spwright make sense, good points

Spwright – Your point about “Raise Hell” is suberb. I agree about the junk yards, they are hideous. However may I venture a thought, and put my little light on the mystery. The words to describe them are uncritical hypocrites.

They are being herded like cattle into whatever protest that their handlers dictate. For example the Pebble Mine protests. They were pretty much organized like the radical 60’s protests. Throw a party for the true believers (and any other useful idiots you can round up) give them what they want for free (drugs, pot, alcohol, music, the company of other supportive True Believers) and then tell them they are the greatest. They will show up anywhere, at any time, to do anything. They will chant any phrase, carry any sign, and attack anyone that questions them. Without ever truly evaluating it intelligently.

ManInBlack – Let me get this straight. You mean that there have been other sites out north and that the very people who are trying to stop it now, owned and profited from dumps in the past?

If that is true, what is the difference now? Has someone been dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight, and now the devil wants his due? Exactly WHO gets the payoff and profits from this new dump? Or did this new company refuse to pay someone off $$$$$$$. There are just too many questions, and few answers.

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 07/11/12 - 11:36 am
myron mcgahan
myron mcgahan 07/03/12 - 08:22 pm
Assumptions.FAKE NAMEs?? Lost TV series. man in black conspiracy

A real man states his name as I have and does not hid behind a FAKE NAME.

Everyone knows you’re not from the TV SERIES LOST, But Okay Man in Black.

Trying to shift the focus of this proposed waste dump is awfully tricky of you, you are a smart one. SO SO SNEAKY!!
500 people against this site on our facebook page Please join us at
4. a bit about me.
My family has worked hard with many other good families in Nikiski over the years to build a community, this community means a lot to local people that have lived here for generations.

I own Commercial lease property, I do lease these properties. these are not Storage dumpsites,nuclear reactors,toxic waste dumps,Alien inhabited islands on a TV series LOL. LOST!!
These properties are under a strict environmental clause.

I am not part of any conspiracy, conspiracy theories or anything else in that manner.

If you asked anyone you would realize and know I’m 35 disabled with Crohns disease and I barely manage at times to get out of my house let alone take on something like this. I am doing this for my Childrens future if they choose to live here later in life.

I have worked environmental personally all around Alaska and a small stint South America.

I have worked in the local refineries, commercial fished, built houses,pipefitting, worked on a public water system. All in the past.

If you have a personal issues with my good self or my family state your name be a man about it/man up.

It seems you have an issue or you would not have spoken out against me speaking out against this.

Hey if you want it IN YOUR BACK YARD TELL ME, I would still be against it on your behalf.

My family owned an environmental company, I was still in grade school thru high school.

Thank you for your misinformation "MAN IN BLACK” The family owned company did do governmental cleanup of spills/worked on oil spills in cook inlet with CISPRI.

The company was not around during Exxon Valdez.

These things took place over 15 years ago. I was 17 when the doors of this company shut for financial reason nice theory but evidently no homework done by your good self on this one.

A real man knows of what he speaks, and does not speak ill will against his neighbors.

A real man states his name as I have and does not hid behind a FAKE NAME.

I personally want to see a plan on any waste disposal site that the oil companies propose in an area that I live in, of course one that is going next door to my house!

We have that right. ALL OF US not just me, because I have land that enjoins.

If you take the actual time to read what is in the local petition, and our face book group this is stated you would see these questions are asked and we are seeking answers.

I do not see you putting your name on the line in your community as I am.

I do not see you going out to the fight.

I see you painting mysterious man in black pictures of ulterior motives,conspiracy theories and non-documented lies.

I wish people Like you would fight alongside me and the other people in nikiski and not do the old magician trick of look over here this must be the bad guy he is trying to stop it from happening... not wait until it does and just accept it.

I guess you either work for AIMM or personally you must be benefitting from this Site? Wow now you got me doing it!! It must be newspaper contagious. LOL

As far as Exxon Valdez? I WAS 12 years old; please don’t be blaming me when I was 12! I think I was playing in the woods out here in Nikiski at that YOUNG age.

Next I will be the guy that brought Three Mile Island or Chernobyl..... WOW...

Personally I never got a dime this is public record look it up.

Again an assumption made by yourself.

I do believe the state of Alaska has won lawsuits from this tragedy that happened again in 1989.

With that said if your good self wants any information or wants to come see my property or talk to me as

I have left my email address in varies places you are more than welcome.

I seriously doubt you will give your name stand up for your community or even email me to see what is going on.

You are just here to try to cause trouble.
At least I find you comical.

Thank you for your brief/uneducated/unresearched accusations they are helpful.

Myron Mcgahan
mmcgahan@hotmail.com

midnightsun
midnightsun 07/04/12 - 01:54 am
Very vague....

This application should have been thrown out before anyone had the chance to write an article about it. If the application does not specify specific amounts of waste to be dumped and they can not say right now how much waste they will limit the dump site to, then they are pretty much asking for a dump site where they will be able to dump as much as they want. They must think we are all retarded if they are not going to take the application seriously and really try to be specific and limit themselves to what they are requesting the dump site for.

I wish all of our politicians would think like the person who wrote the comment with all of the questions.

gfds98765
gfds98765 07/04/12 - 11:33 pm
A Nikiski shot across the bow

The sovereign state of Nikiski has taken a shot across the bow of a lone critic. Take note. This indicated that they do not want questions, comments or criticisms. Leave them to their own devices unless you wish to join them as a protester.

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 07/11/12 - 11:37 am
gerganamcgahan2012
gerganamcgahan2012 07/05/12 - 11:21 am
maninblack

Good Day maninblack,
You don't know me and I have never met you. You have been talking a lot about my family.
My name is Gergana Mcgahan, what is yours?

Cut the rhetoric, step off the spectacle and come talk to me. You obviously do not want to talk to my husband. I have the utter most respect for the man my husband is, he stands to the end for what he believes in.

What would you call a man who is hiding his name? You are obviously a man of age? I would assume you are a commercial fisherman. All of which is a very good reason for you to have my respect.

Unfortunately when you do not state your name, whatever else you do, is shrouded with dishonesty and ulterior motives. Fix that. Put name behind your words. Stand for what you believe. Be our opposition, prove you would accept this open waste dump site in your back yard and you will drill your wells and grow your food next to it, for generations to come.
my email is gergana.mcgahan@gmail.com

myron mcgahan
myron mcgahan 07/05/12 - 12:49 pm
4th of july!

I would like to thank everyone who is behind our community and my family in this issue we are facing.

Thank you all for the help at the 4th of July parade in Kenai yesterday, every signature counts.

Signature sheets can be found at all the local establishments as the community has spoken and is against this.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to email us or call.

Here is the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/429375283761989/

thank you all for your support!!

Myron McGahan

lkpomn912
lkpomn912 07/06/12 - 10:45 am
Blueicce88 If oil companies

Blueicce88
If oil companies are putting their fluids back in the ground, then where the H is this new waste coming from? Marathon oil is doing it right ok so what big oil company is making the crap they want to dump in Nikiski? This is like watching X-factor. Who is the wise guy that put together the deal, who got paid to make the original proposal, Agent Mulder

radiokenai
radiokenai 07/06/12 - 03:26 pm
I have a great idea!
Unpublished

How about AIMM Tech make their waste site in Soldotna?

There is a perfect place right next to the Borough Building!

myron mcgahan
myron mcgahan 07/07/12 - 10:31 am
weekend weather.

good day,

Thank you all for your support we have over 100 signatures to help our community.

Our facebook page is as follows

If anyone has any questions Please feel free to email me.
mmcgahan@hotmail.com

We are still looking to get more support So if you have not seen or signed the petition it is at local restaurants,gas stations and grocery stores.

We are asking for an open forum with all parties involved to speak their part and show us the plan!

I hope that AIMM,The Kenai peninsula borough,ADEC,Local people for and against will come.

If you have an opinion please speak out even if you are against it.

If ADEC does not grant an open forum where they can attend, then possibly We all as a community can have one?

I would want all of our voices to be heard, we all have questions.

Myron McGahan

Steven Chamberlain
Steven Chamberlain 07/12/12 - 10:48 pm
The Truth

The worst part of this whole thing is not what they want to put on this site. It"s the piece of property next to this site we should be the most interested in. By the way.
The Cleanup Chronology Report for the Arness Septage on the DEC Contaminanted Sites Database was CHANGED two days ago. If you want to see what it said before they CHANGED it, Stop by Charlies Pizza and I will show you THE TRUTH !!!!!

Patriot, Steven W. Chamberlain
cell 598 -5541
work 776-8778

Steven Chamberlain
Steven Chamberlain 07/12/12 - 10:52 pm

spwright 07/08/12 - 09:08 am
Militia Patriot ?

Mr Chamberlain, Sun. 7/8/12
Question ? Are You a Member of the Ak PeaceMakers Militia ? A loyal follower of Mr. Cox ?

You along with Norm & Ray need to Look Up into the Sky
& watch for that tiny little glimmering object.
That is a Un-Manned Flying Object, a Predator Drone filming each & every move that YOU make.

Smile for the Camera !

Oh making violent threats then posting your name & phone #
Real Smart !
MenInBlack has just made a Sucker out of You & did exactly what He wanted to do. Make YOU very Up-Set & You jumped at the chance.
Now rant & rave & tell the world what a "Macho Man" You are.
The FBI loves this Stuff

SPW

Steven Chamberlain
Steven Chamberlain 07/08/12 - 10:29 am
Lies

No I am not a member of any militia !!!!

No I am not a follower of Mr. Cox !!!!

Yes I will smile for the camera !!!!

What exactly did I say that you consider to be a violent threat ?

spwright 07/08/12 - 02:05 pm
Context

Sun 7/8/12
Well I guess I will have to explain it for you ?

Use of the word coward, show you the truth, then signing off with the word Patriot
All of which have a Violent Context in your postings.
Sounds like some Whack Job Militia Member to me.

MenIn Black is most likely Laughing His _ _ _ Off ?

SPW