• Overcast
    Overcast

Soldotna council debates city code

Posted: September 14, 2012 - 8:54am

When Norm Blakeley, of Sterling, bought property at 44676 and 44686 on the Sterling Highway in Soldotna earlier this year, he said he had no idea it would end up being such a headache.

The property, which has both The Pour House and Pizza Boys on it, also has a third residential structure — and all three are out of compliance with the city’s water and sewer code.

Blakeley signed a development agreement with the city on July 20 which required that work to bring the property into compliance would be completed by Sept. 28. At the time Pizza Boys and the Pour House submitted a total of $10,000 in cash security to guarantee the installation of the required improvements.

During Wednesday night’s meeting, Blakeley asked that the city extend the time bring the property into compliance into April 2013, return the cash security and allow the residential structure to remain non-conforming for the foreseeable future.

Blakeley addressed the council and said there were a lot of good things that happened during his negotiation process with the city, just two or three things that he wanted to have considered.

Blakeley said it would cost him $25,000 to $30,000 to bring the residential structure into compliance with water and sewer code and he wasn’t sure what he wanted to do with that portion of the property.

“I would like to have two or three years to try to develop that and not hook that up,” he said. “Then if we don’t get it hooked up we’re going to tear down the house one way or another.”

Blakeley said there were other measures the city could take to ensure compliance and didn’t think using a $10,000 bond was the best way to do so.

“You have other alternatives like shutting down sewer and water, fines and taking away our compliance for business,” he said.

Before asking the council to discuss the issue, Mayor Peter Micciche recognized both the city administration and Blakeley for their work together.

“I do think we have an issue going forward, that issue is that we have a lot of noncompliant properties that we want to have become compliant with folks willing to invest in our community,” he said. “I think what we need to work on in the next couple of months ... is amending the code to work with giving additional time so that folks willing to invest in our community have additional time.”

Micciche said he considered the first request for additional time to come into compliance with city code to be the most important of the three requests.

Council members John Czarnezki and Pete Sprague initially voted against the idea of extending the time Blakeley had to come into compliance.

“I don’t feel we have the history, the expertise, the knowledge to do this. That’s why we have a city staff and I’m opposed to it for that reason,” he said. “I believe that our city staff are the experts, we have a code and I trust them ... I believe that if there are changes that need to be made to our code I’m more than willing to consider them and even introduce them; but in order to be fair and consistent to all applicants in the past and future I don’t think this is the right step.”

Czarnezki said he felt it would set precedent for people to come before the council and petition to get out of portions of the code that they were not interested in complying with.

“You can choose to vote now but the ability for our citizens to appeal is a valuable right,” Micciche said.

After the meeting, Blakeley said he was frustrated by Czarnezki’s comments.

“It’s really important in our society that people know and understand that we do have the ability to go to our borough managers and our city councils and get them to help us through the process,” he said.

Ultimately the council agreed to extend Blakeley’s time to bring the properties into compliance until June 2013. They did not address allowing one structure to remain out of compliance or returning the bonds.

It was decided they would address changing the code in the interim.

In his written recommendation to the city, Larry Semmens, city manager, said he believed the city should be careful when deciding whether to allow the Blakeleys to leave a noncompliant structure on their property, essentially waiving a portion of the code.

Blakeley and Semmens both said the property owners knew about the code requirements before they purchased the two parcels.

“I recognize that there is significant cost of complying with the code in some cases,” Semmens wrote in his letter to the council. “Just this month a residential home owner was required to eliminate a bootlegged water supply service to his property and property connection to our main. The cost was substantial due to the requirement to bore under a paved street to get to the main. Although we empathized with the individual, we did not feel we had a choice other than requiring compliance with the code.”

Semmens suggested in his letter that the council consider amending the water and sewer code to provide a process for a variance from certain code provisions or to establish a process for allowing additional time for compliance. He also suggested creating a program of city financing of code compliance.

Micciche agreed with Semmens citing Blakeley’s extensive investment in the community which includes Sal’s Restaurant, a roller rink, the radio stations KSLD and KISS, a restaurant in the Peninsula Center Mall and a car lot.

Blakeley said the issue was ultimately one of how friendly Soldotna wanted to be to business and investment.

“If there’s a big sign that comes into the city of Soldotna that says ‘We’re open for business,’ that’s good,” he said. “If there’s a big sign that says we’re a pain in the rear, that’s not good.”

Rashah McChesney can be reached at rashah.mcchesney@peninsulaclarion.com.

analaskancitizen
analaskancitizen 09/14/12 - 02:35 pm
had no idea ?

Forgive me, but I find it a little disingenuous for a savvy businessman like Norm Blakely to buy property without knowing what liabilities or challenges it would face. While going to the council is certainly an option, I doubt that I would be taking his naivety seriously. Just not seeing him with a pig in a poke.

soldotna
soldotna 09/14/12 - 06:56 pm
I don't get it

In a city that is being over ran with not much better then minimum wage jobs, meth, and lack of good business development. It really seems like to me that Soldotna should be bending over backwards for anyone that wants to develop anything here.

I recall the cities last great idea was to by a car lot in the middle of town. Then spend 5 million dollars on a tourist center that right now because of a devastating fishing season probably might have been an awful idea.

Instead of spending tax dollars on dreams why not try to be the kind of city that works with business and that businesses want to work with?

ALSO REALLY
"Czarnezki said he didn’t feel that the council chambers was the right place for this kind of code change to occur."

This quote alone makes me wonder if MR. Czarnezki knows anything about government. That might be one of the scariest things I've ever ready someone in government say. The council chambers are the place where issues like this should be brought up. Maybe not fixed that night but for sure taken a look at and then brought up at least at a later date to be resolved. Shame on him for even thinking that much less for being a rube and being quoted saying it.

CareAboutAlaska
CareAboutAlaska 09/15/12 - 01:27 am
Ditto

It appears to me that the authorities in Soldotna do not want to do the jobs in which they were elected. In my opinion and from what I have seen, read and heard, the city council thinks, "It’s not my problem".
I agree the buyer should have done the research needed to make sure this would not happen. I also agree with “I don't get it”, if the council chamber is not the place, where is the place to bring this up and deal with the problem?
I am disheartened at the state of this city and those who are in charge. In fact, the people who reside here should voice their opinion more often and louder, as those who are in charge do not really seem to care.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 09/15/12 - 08:29 am
@CareAboutAlaska

"In fact, the people who reside here should voice their opinion more often and louder, as those who are in charge do not really seem to care."

We did voice our opinion ... and we sent the Mayor to Juneau!

pickletoes
pickletoes 09/15/12 - 02:56 pm

Your voted in office for a reason. Finally someone is forcing rules to be followed. Apparently you have seen for yourself while all these businesses have been bought by this family they all are dives. Thank you for looking out for our community. I just spoke to the owners of a local company who has had there sports store here 20 years. They just commented two days ago I will never eat at The Pour House. What a joke. Lawn furniture as dinning tables?!?! The menu is a heart attack waiting to happen. The Sal's dinner. Seriously the delivery guys who drop off goods at the back door stated the gag over the cleanliness of the kitchen. The hotel has rotted mildew floors where they just placed new bathtubs on top. Anyone with allergies would be sick if they stayed overnight. Has anyone seen there financial disasters? They can't afford to bring this up to code so we feel sorry for them? Look at the debt they are in! Give them more time? Ok ok fine more time so what about the homeowner who was forced to do so? This is fair? No! I just have to state THIS FAMILY KNEW before they started the road was going to be tore out and these codes needed to be meet. Once again working a system trying to play the victim. Rules are rules you follow them or you go to jail or simply don't open! Thanks for speaking up elected politicians, but fair enough giving them some extra time. At least we don't have the eye sore of BJ's. The exterior paint job was the only good out of The Pour House.

missmoller73
missmoller73 09/15/12 - 08:13 pm
really?

Im not going to say much here, accept that there is a BUNCH of things that were not covered in this article. I think its disgusting that people can post things on here like "pickletoes" stating things as facts when its obvious he is completely ignorant to the entire situation and puts down my family at the same time. We create jobs for the locals and give back to the community on a regular basis. Also I wouldn't be open if my kitchen was discusting, its actually BRAND NEW! Because it was a storage area before. You see when you open a new business, you have to get approval from several people in order to open. I'm going to walk you through this slowly as it seems you need the ABC's of opening a business. There is the City of soldotna, signage people, plumming, electric, doors to code, bathrooms to code, parking lot, roof, ventilation, the DEC, the ABC board, the Borough, the fire chief, and the labor board, State of Alaska business license. You have to get an OK from all of these people in order to OPEN. If you tried to look for good things you would see the menu also has salads and all burgers come in Turkey Burger or a veggie burger option with a side salad. Just because your closed mind heard "deep fried burger" doesnt mean thats all we have. Lastly, you SHOULD come in, because then you would realize ONCE again you are wrong, there is NO lawn furnature in the place. its obvious you just listen to others and have no clue how to have your very own opinion. By the way my family sold Sal's 4 years ago.. Again, you were wrong... get your facts straight before posting on a public site, really.... Ignorance is bliss

pickletoes
pickletoes 09/15/12 - 09:36 pm
Molly

Molly, Funny... I knew you would be the first to have your two cents added on my comment I posted above. The joy of freedom of speech. So lets talk about facts. The article posted stated Sal's was owned by the Blakeley's that's why Sal's was included in my brief statement. Secondly I never said The Pour House kitchen was filthy. I stated a delivery guy just told me last night over dinner how nasty Sal's was and how it made him gag when he made drops there. Your menu is the talk of the town at The Pour House, this is a fact. "Deep fried" isn't healthy this is a FDA fact. Another fact I have owned my own business and I do know the steps of exactly who is involved. Again, fact you not saying much was very lengthy. I am glad the Clarion is posting more on local businesses here in the Kenai so we as citizens have our opinion just like you. Mostly that we can get involved to better our town. I love Soldotna, America and my local politicians. I voted did you? Lastly let me guess your for Obama so you can get free medical care. You seem to like hand outs. Molly I have eaten at your new place. I wasn't impressed, fact. I think IF this article was poorly written it would have not been published FACT. Simply through all this Molly is you and your family should be forced in following the rules and codes set forth. You say you want to better Soldotna well DONT half ass do the job! WE ALL must abide by the rules.

Alaskalad
Alaskalad 09/16/12 - 08:51 am
Just one point

The Obama plan is not intended to give free medical care to able individuals. You pay for it just like before , but there are some provisions which limit the hosing your Insurance company can give you.
The problem which needs to be solved is how to handle those unable to pay for health insurance. What seems like free ride to them is now being absorbed by those who pay ridiculous rates for their insurance, as I do.
To me the way to cut the expense of taking care of the indigent is to have a single payer plan as is done in the rest of the world. Then we can try to figure out a way to make those people educated , and regain our history of economic stability to the point that there will be jobs for them with which they be able to pay their fair share.

missmoller73
missmoller73 09/16/12 - 11:04 am
pickletoes

I don't think this is the appropriate place to banter. I would be happy to meet with you personally, buy you a cup of coffee and discuss details that you seem to have thoughts on. And by the way I am anti Obama. Please don't assume you know me. I'm actually a kind person who is just trying to make it like everyone else. But you seem to have lots of opinions on this along with my family, so I have said who I am and would love a chance for you to come from behind you weird name on here, and take a moment to listen, as will I. You know what ASSUME stands for.. My dad taught me that one when I was a teen. ;)
Hope you take me up on it. Monday noon at the Pour House of coarse. Hope I see you there. -Molly

pickletoes
pickletoes 09/16/12 - 12:54 pm
Molly

I was under the understanding this is a public forum. Isn't this the communities decision to be a part in what you are asking? After all I am a home owner and pay taxes locally. Your father seemed to be asking the city in which I live in to be lenient/refund bonds etc for you as the business owner and your father as the property owner. No I decline coffee with you. It is your choice to be known in a public forum this is because you make it public that you own The Pour House and the Bar/Motel. I chose a "weird" name and yours was of the obvious. I choose not to "out" myself because I choose not to live in the public spotlight. You do. This is about rules and ordinances set forth. I'm sorry you became so defensive and your right I may not have all my FACTS straight (I'm one to admit my mistakes) but simply this Molly. If you people were running businesses as usual and up to code this would not be a fact at matter. The home owner is forced to follow code and so must you. Just because someone has invested minimum wage jobs that come and go and "known" in our town gives you people any special treatment? Absolutely not. Again I will end with you knew what you were getting yourself into. Hope things iron out. I also expect our leaders to keep up the great work. Half ass work is only trouble in the long run. You let one slide then you have many to expect it later. Peace~

missmoller73
missmoller73 09/17/12 - 08:25 am
Thats what I thought

I figured you didn't want all the facts, but to just hide behind your computer and say bad things about local businesses. I agree we should all be treated the same. What you don't realize is that my father and I are not being treated like everyone else. That's the whole point this article didn't mention. That's why we are fighting it, because some people are not required to bring these things to code, but we are. We just want to be treated like everyone else. I have many facts that I'm not going to waste my time on here covering with someone named "pickletoes" who doesn't want learn the whole story. I can point out holes in just the few posts here YOU have written.... But honestly I have better things to do with my time. Don't bother responding as I'm done reading your silly opinion. I have business's to run and 53 employees to tend to so the city employees can collect their checks while they tell me how to run my personal business. Maybe you should go clean your room or something, Im sure your moms [filtered word] you aren't helping enough around the house..

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/17/12 - 08:55 am
Employee haters every where

It's the thing to do now under the OBAMANATION OF DESOLATIONS REIGN, HATE THOSE THAT EMPLOYEE PEOPLE TO HELP OUR NATIONS ECONOMY GROW AND CONTINUE INDEPENDANCE AND FREEDOM.
Not yelling here with the caps, just saying. Thanks for the business's you own and the employment you provide for many, but realize as it appears you do, those that want total dependance on govt. don't want to work or have freedoms of commerce and hate all those of us that do.

freedomlibertytruth
freedomlibertytruth 09/17/12 - 06:32 pm
city code: fair for home owner = fair for business owner

fair for home owner = fair for business owner
So Blakeley accepted terms set for the sale, and now wants those terms changed. Ok. He made a request to the city, good start. The two businesses get an extension (sounds fair supports jobs) the junk house is not addressed ( whoops)

If the city does not address the noncompliant structure, then they are setting the precedent for all future purchasers to do the same.

If, as the article says they did, the city DEMANDS a private residential home owner to comply with code at great expense to the owner; how does the city justify IGNORING the same demand to an obviously rich and apparently powerful business owner?

City politicians - do your job. Address the issue.

lkpomn912
lkpomn912 09/17/12 - 06:48 pm
Let’s use the Obama strategy and tax the rich

Let’s use the Obama strategy and tax the rich guy out of existence. no no NO. WTF am I saying? I refuse to side with the occupy Wall Street hooligans, anarchists, anti-capitalists and communists.

SOLDOTNA CITY COUNCIL: DO YOUR JOB.
Work with the guy.
“”Micciche said it was the responsibility of the council to respond to public appeals.””

analaskancitizen
analaskancitizen 09/17/12 - 08:44 pm
and sometimes the answer is

"no". That is a response.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 09/17/12 - 08:47 pm
@lkpomn912

That was the strategy of every president from FDR to Johnson. Never, prior to George W. Bush, did we have a president who taxed less in a time of extended war or conflict. From Truman through Johnson, we were the fastest growing economy in the world. Taxes, for purpose, is not necessarily a bad thing.

lkpomn912
lkpomn912 09/17/12 - 11:42 pm
I'm perfectly willing to mislead and tell untruths...FDR

""You know I am a juggler, and I never let my right hand know what my left hand does. I'm perfectly willing to mislead and tell untruths..."" FDR, May 1941

Every choice made in the New Deal, whether it was one that assisted the recovery or not, was a choice true to the essential design of totalitarian government.

The second bill of rights as written by FDR was a version of the Communist Manifesto, and Hitlers Socialist party goals.

8 out of the 10 points he dictated were straight out of the Communist book. He was an early progressive, doing his best to destroy the traditions of America by replacing the American Constitution with his manifesto. I’d cut my tail off before I’d support these communist progressive leftist ‘Animal Farm’ tyrants takeover.

gfds98765
gfds98765 09/17/12 - 11:57 pm
where did overtaxing get this country ?

So, just where did all this overtaxing of those rich factory owning cowboys get this country? They were smart enough guys to make all that money, and they were smart enough to eventually understand how govmt was wasting their taxes, giving it away to foreigners and not Americans, and puttin it in their own government filthy thieving pockets.

They were smarter than the socialist fools like FDR and Johnson and finally learned to keep it out of the hands of the bandits in government.

The rich factory owners were smart enough to get their overtaxed industries built ALL OVER THE WORLD, and they are not here anymore ARE THEY.

Now the only thing growing is welfare and debt.

Suss
Suss 09/18/12 - 06:40 am
It is not about taxes

The issues at hand are not about taxes. The sewer and water hook up that is needed to be enforced for a non-comforming septic and well system to comply with the city code to ensure health issues are met for the public good is the item on the agenda. God and Obama have nothing to do with this. That also includes the U.N. and the one world order. Please see your doctor if you think otherwise, or use PFD money for tin foil.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/18/12 - 07:14 am
What will the city do

What will the city do when the power goes off and can't be restarted by any means? Will they continue to inforce the same rules or adapt and work with citizens that will have sewer & water problems? As for you that believe that God has nothing to do with anything related in this article, i beg to differ. If city elected officials and those paid to help & assist the citizens would have their moral compasses in line with what God commands in his 613 rules, laws to govern societies in EVERY SITUATION, then we would not have so many angry people feeling like they just got bent over the septic barrel.
But no, what we have in most cases is people that could careless about others and have inacted laws which makes it eazier for them to do absolutely nothing in helping others. These actions aided by "IT'S NOT MY JOB."

Did ya see yesterday where the Global Socialists are demanding world wide WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION, wasn't that what the choosen one Obama promised he would do, REDISTRIBUTE ALL THE WEALTH?
What do you think happens when & if all the worlds wealth is redistributed? You think everyone will be equal? Well your right everyone will be equal, equally broke and dependant on a world govt. that wants about 2/3rds of the earths population killed off in this wealth redistribution program, but they don't tell you that part.
And what about those people celebrating OWS, occupy wall street, they all want wealth redistribution and something for nothing. Looks like a massive number of Socialists marching the streets wanting to destroy all commerce, not just bankers or investors. Please explain to me what will happen to the other half of your 401k's when they get their way and the market does crash? It will crash and real soon i fear, i don't fear for me, but what about everyone that has their life invested when they loose it all this next time?
Maybe this property can be bought by the city and made into a visitor center? Probably not even gonna get to the ballot on this one due to the last name not being Hutchings.
It is eazier if you don't give a flip about people and try to help them when in service to them and paid by their taxes, not right, but eazier. Make no mistake the controlers want EVERYONE DEPENDANT ON GOVT. AND ANY NONGOVT. BUSINESS IS MARKED FOR DISTRUCTION TO REMOVE LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS, ALL FUNDAMENTALS OF AMERICA, THE ONE OBAMA WANTS TO CHANGE. Not yelling here with the caps, JUST SAYING.

analaskancitizen
analaskancitizen 09/18/12 - 09:02 am
Bless you suss

Call me selfish but I really do care if my neighbor's septic is in compliance etc. - even if this makes me socialist or communist or whatever red herrings are being flung into a discussion about someone asking for special treatment regarding pretty basic matters. Of course public officials should/have to listen - even when people are saying rude off-the-wall things- but that doesn't mean that they give up on community standards for someone who shouts the loudest or has the most influence. How many of you would invest a substantial amount of money without checking out things like that?

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 09/18/12 - 09:38 am
@gfds98765 and lkpomn912

Apparently neither of you read the supplied link. Taxes have been adjusted by both tax rate and taxable income. The nominal tax rate was reduced in 1963 by a democrat from 91% on $400,000 and above to 77% on $2,800,000. All brakets below the top were tightened up to generate more income from the upper middle and middle class ... but taxes in fact went up.
Ikpomn, as for your FDR quote, at least he let his intentions be known where others like Nixon (and even Jefferson) did not.
gfds; #1, where did not taxing the wealthier get us? Those "factory owners" are actually stock holders and are taxed differently than a corporate tax rate. In other words, the CEO making 350 times the top wage earner is taxed 10% more than the person making 100K and they are both employees. But the person making $100 K is taxed nearly 20% as much as the person making 17K.
Currently $3,000,000,000 is taxed at the same 35% that the person making $380,000. Who sacrifices more?

You fail to mention that tariffs have taken what amounts to an unfair trade advantage with our competition. We charge less to import a Kia than Korea charges to import a Ford (a nearly 300% difference). That is something else that needs to be addressed soon. It is not as simple as black and white and more or less income tax.

Two unfunded wars didn't help matters at all! We are out of one of them, but will pay for the straight cost of the war for the next 15 years and will pay the hidden cost for decades. Hidden costs??? What hidden costs? One cost that is not really "hidden" but is not truthfully considered is the cost of the many soldiers that have been wounded and are unable to work and even those that are able to work. Their healthcare and support will eventually cost more than the war itself. Another is lost productivity. Many of those soldiers were (are) citizen soldiers.
There are several issues that will need to be corrected in due course. One elected president is not going to solve the errors of a congress run amuck or the policies of presidents past!

Again; here is the link previously supplied:

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/18/12 - 10:03 am
who called you a socialist analaskacitizen?

So where did anyone call you a socialist or communist? I infact have seen many Democrates call all of us that don't support the OBAMANATION OF DESOLATIONS DREAM ACTS those names as well as Nazi's. But i don't see any conservative calling others these things. I did ask could these people who support Obama's dream acts or OWS be socialists like Obama is? Big differance in wondering about ones alignment with issues and outright calling them such.
It's like me being a Jesus freak for my aligning with the principles laid forth by Jesus and of following Jesus, it makes me a Believer. I choose Believer instead of christian as there are many pretend christians that have no clue to what Jesus is about or what he really stands for and Obama and Romney are just two of these pretenders and i don't want to be aligned with either in regard to beliefs or salvation. And i have to vote for one of them and their hopeless hope, what a mess.
As for investing into some thing without completely checking out what we are buying, believing in, lets shift to those that voted for Obama and his desired change of America's FUNDAMENTALS. FUNDAMENTALS which are life liberty and the pursuit of happyness, all given to everyone under God, Yahweh is his name and thats not Obama or his gods name either.
All of us make bad choices in life and must pay for those choices, trust me i know about bad choices like voting for Goober Carter & Clinton and paying for them still.
Blakely does need to comply with the rules of the city for sewer & water, but was he deceived like Obama supporters were when he bought this property and if so does he really have any hope for change to believe in or is his ship sunk like OUR Nation and yet another business providing jobs and revenue for many is shut down due to govt. controlers that OUR TAXES PAY FOR?

lkpomn912
lkpomn912 09/18/12 - 11:43 am
home owners have to pay their HARD earned money

If the little home owners have to pay their HARD earned money to put in sewer systems (for the public good) in the city; then the EASY EARNED money made by the rich business owner should also be paid to put in sewer systems (for the public good),

1813 -- United States Federal taxes were started by the revenue act. Taxes were imposed only when and as needed. U.S. government operations were funded through collected IMPORT DUTIES and sold public lands.

1861 -- The big income tax in the United States first began so that it could fund the Civil War. To pay for WAR against the American People.

1913 – the 16th Constitutional Amendment was introduced as our FIRST personal income tax. ( Great! Now we can screw the little guys.)

But it gets better, we get into another war. World War One. More taxes.

So I don’t really give a hoot about the insane thieving scams and schemes that the progressives use to play unscrupulous games with the American Taxpaying public. These debts WERE run up to pay for wars, wars, and more wars. Today they are run up to pay for WELFARE ENTITLEMENTS.

Unfair personal income tax that now is a burden, is a burden to only some of the American people. Getting close to HALF of the people DON'T pay taxes. That is wrong. No matter how many pretty charts that you look at.

The ‘tax foundation’ that you reference: is run by the Urban institute & The Brookings institution.

The Urban Institute is a liberal think tank.
The Brookings Institute is a liberal think tank.

I’ll do my own research, and my own thinking. I use the .gov websites to get the facts from my government on taxes, and not info filtered through lefties.

pickletoes
pickletoes 09/18/12 - 12:13 pm
The junk house

The junk house is used to house an employee. He may be paying rent or rent may be waived due to the fact he is the maintenance man? I won't state because I don't know the facts remember, but FACT is it is occupied and crap is being flushed down the pipes. Lets not forget about the "junk house" Just saying...

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 09/18/12 - 03:12 pm
@lkpomn912 Brookings/Urban Institutes

Very good Ikp. You can find the same table here:
And thank you for the history points. Some of your facts I knew and others I did not.

I respect your opinion and look to these blogs as a way to share and gain information. Sometimes, some of us become a bit overbearing and I am no exception. My political view is centrist leaning right and I like to examine and verify facts no matter where they come from. A suggested read for you is "Un-Spun: Finding Facts in A world of Dis-Information"

The Tax foundation historic tax tables were a file copied from the United States Treasury. As for the Tax Foundation itself, the board of directors consists of:
David P. Lewis (Chairman)
Vice President - Global Taxes;
Chief Tax Executive & Assistant Treasurer
Eli Lilly and Company

James W. Lintott (Treasurer)
Chairman
Sterling Foundation Management LLC

The Honorable Bill Archer
Senior Policy Analyst
PriceWaterhouseCoopers LLP

Douglas Holtz-Eakin
President
DHE Consulting, LLC

Sarah McGill
Senior Vice President, Tax Planning
PepsiCo, Inc.

Pamela F. Olson
U.S. Deputy Tax Leader & Washington National Tax Service (WNTS) Leader
PriceWaterhouseCoopers LLP

They sound fairly knowledgeable in this particular field.

And please indicate where you found the information that links the Tax Foundation to the Brookings Institute or the Urban Institute. I'm not saying it isn't so. Just that I find nothing on the website that links either of these institutes to the Foundation. As a matter of fact, if you go to brookings.edu, there is no reference or link to the Tax Foundation. The same for urban.org.

As for the funding of the Tax Foundation:
"The Tax Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) non-partisan, non-profit organization. In 2011, our operations were supported by individual donors (15%), corporate contributions (33%), foundation grants (17%), events revenue (12%), and publications and projects revenue (23%). No one donor contributed more than eight percent of our budget and, as a policy, we neither solicit nor receive financial support from any government agency."

Thanks in advance for any further information you may have.

Norseman 09/20/12 - 04:21 pm
setting a precendence

“It is a dangerous precedent to simply waive code requirements and you should not start down this path,” Semmens wrote."

Larry Semmens was correct.

If joe blow homeowner MUST comply, so should every one else. I think that the fact that Mr Blakely owns alot of city property influenced this poor decision.

soldotna
soldotna 09/21/12 - 11:24 am
Why is no one asking this question

Is Mr. Blakely paying for city water and sewer for this property?

I don't understand how a bootleg going into city sewer is any huge issue. If the city is worried about sewer issue with back up and such. I would think those kind of fixes lay solely the owner of the property. So I'm not really seeing what the fuss is all about.

I know a old guy owned all of this until his death a couple years ago and then it went into an estate. Why did the city give the OK for the Management company to put the land up for sale knowing that this property was not in compliance with city code?

I mean if you pull back and look at the bigger picture I think there are a lot more questions then answers out of this whole process.

Here is a good question
"Just this month a residential home owner was required to eliminate a bootlegged water supply service to his property and property connection to our main."

How long did the owner of this property own the property before he was made to change it over by the city?

Are there double standards going on are there any standards going on?

Like i said A lot more question the answers for me.

Average Joe
Average Joe 09/21/12 - 01:56 pm
A lot more questions is right!

A lot more questions is right! Mr. Blakeley signed an agreement that he would bring this property up to code. Why did he do that if he didn't intend to follow through? You can't tell me that this savvy business man who has been around this town for many years did not look into the costs of the upgrades before he purchased the property. He knew that he would be able to buy the property and then go to his good ole' boys and get them to do a favor for him by putting off the date by which he had to comply with the city code and ordinances.
The only way that this even remotely resembles anything to do with Obama is that Mr. Blakeley lied to get into the position he is in now ie. buying the property and  signing the documents saying he would make changes ( for the better). Then not following through. This isn't about taxing the rich either, these codes and ordinances have been around long before Obama came into office. BTW if they are rich( I say they because everyone knows that Mr. Blakeley simply bought the property to give to his daughter who already owns Hooligans) why can't they just afford to make the required upgrades that they promised to make when the agreement was signed?
Is it because there is no money left over after the complete gutting/ remodel of BJ's? Maybe it's because of those fancy pour your own drink tables. Who the business owner so proudly proclaims were imported from Italy. Weird, the family has money for a new mini bowling alley, dance floor, bath tubs, flat screen tv's and the like  inside Hooligans. Not to mention extravagant cars, including a Lincoln Navigator limousine,and a corvette, houses, trips to the lower 48 and Mexican cruises.
I can see how it could be hard to afford the simple things in life such as sewer and water that are up to code.
Yes A lot of questions indeed!
 If this business is truly for the betterment of Soldotna. Than do what's right by Soldotna and it's residents. Get your establishment (where you expect people to eat your food) up to code and follow the requirements that it takes to run a healthy restaurant!

soldotna
soldotna 09/21/12 - 02:33 pm
WOW Joe

You know an awful lot about those people. One would think maybe you have more or an issue with them more then with what was written in this story.