• Overcast
    Overcast

Soldotna selects three finalists for police chief

Posted: September 14, 2012 - 8:58am  |  Updated: September 20, 2012 - 10:17am

A Soldotna wildlife trooper, a lieutenant from Ketchikan and a police chief in Kotzebue have been chosen to interview for a position as the City of Soldotna’s newest police chief.

Each will interview on September 24.

The city’s former police chief, John Lucking, left suddenly on June 11 after eight years with the city.

Craig Moates, 54, is the current Chief of Police in Kotzebue.

He has worked in law enforcement in Tennessee and Alaska for more than 25 years. He has five years of experience in Alaska law enforcement between Nome and Kotzebue. Moates said he applied for the position with Soldotna after hearing good things about the community.

Moates said he enjoyed hunting and fishing and, in that respect, would fit right in on the peninsula.

“I probably do what most Alaskans do and hunt and fish and enjoy the outdoors,” he said. “It’s not always about getting the game and catching the fish it’s just about being outside.”

Joe White, 46, is the current Lieutenant of Investigations for the Ketchikan Police Department.

White was born and raised in Ketchikan and Kodiak. He went to school in Fairbanks and graduated from the University of Alaska Anchorage.

After living in the Seattle area for a few years, White said he put himself through the police academy in 1995 and got a job with the Ketchikan Police Department where he has been for more than 16 years.

“I started off as a patrolman, was the sergeant of patrol for five years, a lieutenant for two years, a school resource officer for four years,” he said. “I’m kind of to the point now where I’m kind of looking for new challenges.”

White said he has visited the Soldotna area before and enjoyed it.

“The climate change would be nice,” he said. “We’re (Ketchikan) down in the lower Southeast. We get about 12 foot of rain a year.”

When he’s not working, White said he spends a lot of time outside with his kids, coaching little league games or riding bicycles.

Pete Mlynarik, 50, is the commander of the Alaska Wildlife Troopers E detachment in Soldotna.

Mlynarik started as a state trooper in 1990, switched to fish and wildlife protection, then back to being on patrol before settling into wildlife protection again in 2011.

Mlynarik, of Cooper Landing, said he likes Soldotna and it would “fit right in” with where he wanted to be.

He said he enjoyed being in a leadership role in law enforcement but thought he’d appreciate the difference in structure working for a city instead of the state.

Mlynarik said his biggest hobby was exercising and weight lifting.

Rashah McChesney can be reached at rashah.mcchesney@peninsulaclarion.com.

SXQ
SXQ 09/14/12 - 08:30 pm
This is a shocker!!

Wow, I thought they were going to do away with the Soldotna Police since they don't do anything and they have a horrible reputation for dogging people!!!

SXQ
SXQ 09/14/12 - 08:30 pm
This is a shocker!!

Just saying...
Just saying... 09/15/12 - 06:20 am
Where Did He Go?

"So why did Lucking leave suddenly?" I have heard the rumors and I am hoping they are not true. Can someone provide more information on this....

Just Saying...

spwright 09/15/12 - 09:39 am
Good Question 9/15/12

What did Happen to the Previous SXQ Police Chief ?
or is that some sort of Top Secret that can't be shared ?
SPW

Soldotnaoutdoors
Soldotnaoutdoors 09/17/12 - 01:58 pm
Really

Looks like home cooking again, cant the council and mayor find a chief from another area that wont fall into the Alaska good ole boy system. I dont want to hear how they like to hunt fish and lift weights.

Hey, what about education and working for a real police department, ie... new ideas, isnt this the same platform Mayor Micciche just ran for office under. Guess the three locals are friends of our new city manager.

isin't that how you get a city job here? Wonder what the other applicants had to offer?

aspiecelia
aspiecelia 09/18/12 - 11:48 pm
No To Moates

I lived in Nome when Moates was Chief of Police and I say no way. I was harrased by the police and much much worse. He himself would laugh hillariously at me when he drove past me in his police rig as I walked down the street. There were cops there picking up girls in their cop cars. We don't need more of that here. I walk a lot and I have seen some changes in Soldotna, there is less drug dealing and the hoodlums in my neighborhood have decreased greatly.

I went through years of injustice after living in that village of bullying, living in a white supremacy culture. I have PTSD from what went on there and a felony charge for something I did because I finally became suicidal and dissociated at work. In most places I would have been sent for psychiatric help. In Nome the workplace bullies and village bullies wanted to destroy me. They conned the ADA into believing I did things I did not. The police tried to set me up, but it did not work as I was not what they had been told I was.

The police ended up with a piece of my property which was not evidence in any way. I was at first told to go pick it up on the week end as it was locked in the property room and the cop with the key only worked week ends. This makes no sense as they need access for evidence when the courts are opened. I went to get my property and of course they acted like I was an idiot. Then I was given another day and time to go get it and same story, over and over. This went on for months. Finally a cop after telling me what a nice guy he was said he would give it to me. I told him I did not appreciate their sick games. He said, "You just don't know how we do things around here." Really? You mean like deep south corrupt small town crackers with low IQs?

There was a female cop who was fairly new. She was there the night they arrested me and she squatted down and told me she had seen how I had taken care of the patients and something about not thinking this meant I was a bad person. Not too long after this she was fired supposedly for having sex at work. She says it never happened. My response when people told me about it was, "You mean like the male cops do all the time?"

When I first started to work in the ER in Nome and the cops brought me drunks to babysit I told them this was inappropriate use of the ER and dangerous. They did not like me after that. I was often taking care of patients in a two cart ER with a drunk on one cart, another drunk on a cart in the hall and perhaps a critical patient on the other cart. The drunks would get off the carts and invade the privacy of the other patient and often became combative. I was by myself and would have as many as seven patients in the clinic down the hall. I was by myself. Leaving me on my own with this kind of patient load was not just dangerous for the patiens, it was part of the workplace bullying that gave me PTSD and health problems.

I think the citizens of Soldotna deserve to know why the last police chief left. There is a pattern of just letting people with issues leave without consequences. I have seen this before and they just go on to other jobs as cops and repeat the same behaviors.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/19/12 - 09:34 am
aspiecelia or you a racist??

As i read your post i see many words which could point to you being a racist and projecting racism against you from others. Words like white supremacy and Deep South CRACKERS with low IQ"S. Then there is the discust for males and how they have sex on the job all the time with no punishment which makes me wonder about your sexual preferance. All of the above mentioned observations are important to you and i'm glad you shared them which may help in your healing of life in Nome and else where due to ptsd.
I understand completely your anger from work place troubles and police and false accusations, the hate and pstd you also suffer was my past as well and continued on until i finally allowed Jesus to heal me from it all.
Just because the chief left does not mean he did anything wrong though, even though it does appear suspect with no reason given.
It's kind of like girls down in the deep south where this low IQ CRACKER is from. Girls went on vacations for 5-6 months, we all knew they had got PG and went to have their babies else where. Praise God they didn't abort them as women do now at the tune of over 6000 a day simply for making bad choices and then compounding them with the murder of their babies.
I don't know why this Chief left, but there is a need for another and thanks for your heads up about the one from Nome and maybe the city will investigate him more due to your accusations to determine if they are accurate or not. Please also remember that anyone can say anything about some one else and there is absolutely no evidence of wrong doing at any time by them, as supposedly happened to you. Please understand that i'm not saying you are a lier, just saying reality about accusations of others some times being totally false.
False accusations are the norm now days with no recourse hardly ever for the accused, take Sarah Palin for example and all the False accusations against her by a certain female, i think she was a female. No recourse for Sarah what so ever which in it's self should be against the law for people to accuse others and not prove any wrong doing and them selves not be charged for false accusations against another asnd restitution demanded by the courts.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and prayers for your healing.

aspiecelia
aspiecelia 09/19/12 - 02:09 pm
Accusing someone of Racism does not mean one is a Racist

@ Watchman on the Wall. "or you a racist"I am not a racist and you seemed to miss the point that I was making which is so typical of so many people in Alaska. I was saying there were racist white people in Nome. I am white and was talking about white people. The racism and even genocide that is going on in that region is very well known. There are many deep south crackers who go to Nome and many other rural areas of Alaska for lots of reasons and some are because they are not wanted elsewhere. I witnessed a nurse from Mississippi who stated she "hated black people like all good southernors". I asked her what she was doing in a village where 50% of the people are native. That is just one example. There are those who sell very large amounts of alcohol there to natives making millions per year and destroying lives. Those who have been truamatized and had their culture harmed are high risk for chemical dependency. That chemical dependency that is generated by trauma is used to charge native people with crimes in high numbers. They have a prison there. They then find technical or chemical dependency related reasons to have those on probation sent back to prison over and over. This further destroys lives, families, culture and even whole villages. The hospital there is a native hospital, one of the first things I asked was, "Why are the white people running the native hospital." There was no "discust" [sic] for males stated in my comment at all and whatever my sexual orientation is has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, it just says something about you that you are trying to use imaginary Christianist demonizing to attack me. What you wrote was very homophobic. Your discussion of abortions is irrelevant to this comment as well as your discussion about the half term psychopathic governor.

My favorite part of your post was when you stated you weren't calling me a "lier" [sic] when you were. It says something positive about me if you in particular do think I am a "lier".

I do agree that because the chief left it does not mean he did anything wrong, but the way it was handled was deceptive which means he probably did.

aspiecelia
aspiecelia 09/19/12 - 02:22 pm
I Have Seen Changes in Soldotna

@SXQ, I don't know what your experiences are, but I do lots of walking and knew in my area where the meth dealers hung out, which apartments had drug dealers, watched the drug dealers at Safeway, at Fred Myers, saw them parked on corners and even which guys riding bikes were the dealers. That has been cleaned up quite a bit. There is even an apartment building that has been demolished where people in cars openly sat and sold drugs. It was bad where I live with meth dealers showing up at a house close by in the middle of the night often and selling to young people who then ran around vandalizing and stealing. I don't agree they should be locked in prison or that this is a criminal issue, it is a medical problem, they should get treatment for drugs. The drug war is wrong and does not work. People will continue to drink and use drugs, but at least those in Soldotna who want to shop or let their kids go to the store to buy something have less to worry about because the drug dealers are run off. The drug dealers, especially those selling meth should be arrested and cooking it is very dangerous due to fires and toxicity. The troopers were also involved in the clean up of Soldotna. I know police harassment and violations of rights happen all the time and I have experienced it in Alaska myself more than once from police and troopers. The way I operate is to tell the truth about it. If they do bad I say so and if they do good I say so too.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/19/12 - 05:40 pm
aspiecelia what happened to R posts

aspiecelia i notice that your previous post has changed to this one now and my post in responce to your accusations against Moates from Nome and what you suffered under his police dept. My responce to your racial comments towards him and others as in deep south Crackers behavior was asked by me as well. But i see your post and my responce are both missing in action. Whats up with that i wonder and who yanked them both from print?
Free speach i guess has departed the Clarion.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/19/12 - 08:25 pm
Clarion whats with my post vanishing?

Why are my posts to aspiecelia's previous post missing along with hers??
It does appear that when the truth about some articles which the Clarion staff does not like they vanish, leading to the article it's self soon to follow. WHY?

THANKS FOR THE REPLY CLARION STAFF AND THE EXPLANATION FOR REMOVAL OF MY POSTS.

aspiecelia
aspiecelia 09/19/12 - 07:30 pm
Peninsula Clarion I will have a surprise for you

The long version of the story I wrote about in my comment yesterday will be posted on line tomorrow and I'll give the credit to you for not letting me post my comment in large letters. It was OK for someone to call me a racist and hint that I am a lesbian, oh you did not mind that, no until I responded with a comment about Christian abuse.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/19/12 - 10:44 pm
aspiecelia i did not call you that

aspiecelia i did not call you a lesbian if you are making referance to my removed post where i used your racial slur, which caused both our posts to be removed.
I was only making referance to your comment against men being the only ones that could have work place sex and your female police friend in Nome was fired for such actions, true or not.
These comments which seemed hate filled towards them and men in general would bring into question your sexuality by most that could read your post as you had posted it.
I was also amazed at your racial comments about white males with very low IQ"s from the south and the name you called them which emplies your race is not white and how you were projecting that racial profile onto every male and especially those in Nome on the police force where you supposedly had major troubles and accusations waged against you.
I will say that from the post that was removed you do seem to suffer from the PTSD you claim and are projecting that onto all males.
As i have said many times before i am a mix of races with Black, American Indian and Irish, i also have 2 half Black grand sons, i am not usually racially inclined other than to confront those that are.
As i said before i hope you can get help in healing for your treatment in Nome from the police and that i would also be praying for you to do so. I too have suffered work place abuses and false accusations and it's something that causes one to become angry & bitter if not treated or healed. I was continually filled with hate and bad wishes on those that hurt me until i surrendered it all to the Lord and believed that he would inact vengeance and would repay evil as said in Hebrews 10:30-31.
My other comment was that anyone can say anything about others with hardly never any recourse for the accused as far as justice is concerned which you and i both have experanced and you accusations against the cheif from Nome may or may not be true, i don't know.
I'm sorry if i hurt your feelings, that was not my intent. My intent was to question your hate filled post as to why you felt that way. God will judge all of us even those that are saved by the blood of Jesus, not perfect just forgiven and trying to heal from the curse of my sin nature more every day.
I have no clue who you are, black or white, male or female or sexual preferance, but your words help alot as do everyones in figuring out who or what people are and what they believe.

Shalom

aspiecelia
aspiecelia 09/19/12 - 08:15 pm
Sigh

Sigh. Peninsula Clarion are you going to remove my sigh at this craziness?

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 09/20/12 - 09:26 am
Thanks for reposting our comments

Thanks Clarion for reposting our comments in full.
As i said before prayers for healing and the need for possible research into Moates for Soldotna Police Chief from your claims of abuse in Nome.