• Scattered clouds
    Scattered clouds

Highway accident kills Soldotna man, 85

Posted: November 16, 2012 - 3:42pm  |  Updated: November 17, 2012 - 10:20pm

The Sterling Highway reopened late Friday afternoon following a two-car collision that killed an elderly man a few miles north of Rocky’s Cafe and the Kasilof Community Church.

One man died in the accident; three others were taken to Central Peninsula Hospital by ambulance, Alaska State Trooper Spokesperson Beth Ipsen said.

The accident was reported about 12:05 p.m. Friday.

Ruby Gonzales, of Soldotna, was driving northbound with her husband in a Jeep Cherokee when she lost control on a hill, Ipsen said.

The 82-year-old slid into the next lane and collided with Vincent Redford, of Soldotna, driving a Dodge truck.

The collision threw Daniel Gonzales, Ruby Gonzales’ 85-year-old husband, out of the back of the Jeep. Central Emergency Services medics pronounced him dead.

CES ambulances drove Ruby Gonzales; Vincent Redford, 50; his passenger and his mother, Constance Redford, 72 of Soldotna, to Central Peninsula Hospital.

They are being treated for non-life threatening injuries, Ipsen said Friday.

Troopers do not suspect alcohol or drugs were involved in the accident, and indications suggest Daniel Gonzales was wearing a seatbelt, Ipsen said.

Road conditions at the time of the accident were icy, Ipsen said.

marbles35
marbles35 11/16/12 - 04:29 pm
Is this at that awful curve

Is this at that awful curve by The Merc?

aufevermike
aufevermike 11/16/12 - 07:44 pm
Um. Marbles???? Did you read

Um. Marbles???? Did you read the first paragraph?

marbles35
marbles35 11/17/12 - 08:39 am
" Sterling Highway is closed

" Sterling Highway is closed a few miles north of Rocky’s Cafe near the Kasilof Community Church following a two-car collision."

Yep -I read it-and if its the Church Im thinking of its not a few miles north of Rockys. Just wanted a little clarification.

Sadie
Sadie 11/18/12 - 10:23 am
Sterling Highway Closed?

Is that so important or should we remember to keep the families that were involved in our thoughts and prayers?

marbles35
marbles35 11/18/12 - 11:19 am
Maybe a life could have been

Maybe a life could have been saved if that blind curve wasn't there.

shadowmt
shadowmt 11/18/12 - 12:50 pm
SLOW DOWN PEOPLE

Curve or no curve, people need to slow down and quit passing people on the right including the cops.

kenai123
kenai123 11/21/12 - 08:48 pm
It is amazing how you can

It is amazing how you can slow down when driving on glare ice and instantly there is a stack of cars piled up behind you.
What does that mean? It means that everyone has to move faster and faster to get to where they are going just a couple seconds sooner. So you drive along with 15 cars piled up behind you and then you suddenly see a SUV laying on its side in the ditch smoking, all smashed up and people running around looking frantic. Another car is pulled off the road and its engine is pushed back into the drivers seat. I finally move pass the smashed cars and assume my slow speed again. Instantly car after car begins trying to pass me on the left. They fish-tail and almost lose control as they speed on ahead at 50 - 60 mph on glare ice. Later I saw the helicopter come and go as it head towards the hospital. I don't get it, people are dying to get there a couple seconds sooner and then they can't figure out why they are in the hospital. I really don't get it.

EliseLowery
EliseLowery 11/25/12 - 08:39 pm
I'm Not in YOUR Hurry

I drive up the Sterling Hwy daily to work all winter and I am constantly being tail gated and flashed because I am not in the hurry of the person behind me. The road conditions are not safe, black ice and visibility in the early morning hours are less than desirable. Plus moose moving around. I wake up and leave a little early to allow for this. All I can say is that BEFORE you get that wanna be-road rage and take your hurry out on the car in front of you because you want to go fast, consider that the person driving may have a valid reason for driving safer than you. I drive a Jeep that NOT 4 WD but I have studded tires. I do not use my studded tires as my sense of security on icy roads, instead I use good judgement and pay attention to my surroundings.