Kenai Peninsula firefighters extinguished a residential fire south of Soldotna on Tuesday. A wood stove insert malfunctioned, causing the fire.
No one was injured as a result of the fire.
At 1:15 p.m., Central Emergency Services responded to the report of a chimney fire in Kasilof. The first responders arrived within six minutes; they reported smoke pouring out of the home’s eaves and attic spaces, according to a CES press release.
Fire fighters confirmed the home’s two occupants were out of the house and uninjured, according to the release.
Multiple crews then gained access to the fire, which burned between a wood stove insert and a wood-framed chimney. They extinguished the fire and prevented further damage to the home. CES credited its quick response to the owner immediately calling 911.
“The residence was saved and minimal damage was sustained,” the release says. “Had there been any further delay, the fire would have extended into the attic and spread throughout the entire house.”
The house is valued at $146,900. Investigators estimated the damage at $7,500.
— Jerzy Shedlock