Kasilof home sustains minimal fire damage

Kenai Peninsula firefighters extinguished a residential fire south of Soldotna on Tuesday. A wood stove insert malfunctioned, causing the fire.

 

No one was injured as a result of the fire.

At 1:15 p.m., Central Emergency Services responded to the report of a chimney fire in Kasilof. The first responders arrived within six minutes; they reported smoke pouring out of the home’s eaves and attic spaces, according to a CES press release.

Fire fighters confirmed the home’s two occupants were out of the house and uninjured, according to the release.

Multiple crews then gained access to the fire, which burned between a wood stove insert and a wood-framed chimney. They extinguished the fire and prevented further damage to the home. CES credited its quick response to the owner immediately calling 911.

“The residence was saved and minimal damage was sustained,” the release says. “Had there been any further delay, the fire would have extended into the attic and spread throughout the entire house.”

The house is valued at $146,900. Investigators estimated the damage at $7,500.

— Jerzy Shedlock

More

NordAq fined $100,000 for unplugged well

On Thursday the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission issued a $100,000 penalty and a $800,000 bond requirement to Alaskan independent oil and gas company... Read more

Central Kenai Peninsula sees more rain this summer than usual

Central Kenai Peninsula residents have gotten practice at being prepared for less than perfect weather this summer.

Read more

Man arrested for DUI after spilling screws on Seward Highway

Man arrested for DUI after spilling screws on Seward Highway

Read more