Nikiski's McGlasson faces new charge

DUI arrest may complicate probation of local hockey player

Posted: December 26, 2012 - 9:47pm  |  Updated: December 28, 2012 - 12:07pm

A Nikiski man on probation for his role in the death of a college student in Wisconsin in 2010 was arrested Christmas Eve for driving under the influence.

Jedidiah R. McGlasson, 23, of Nikiski, was stopped by police at 2:56 a.m. Monday in Kenai after he failed to stop at a stop sign, said Sgt. Ben Langham of the Kenai Police Department.

McGlasson had a preliminary blood-alcohol reading of .078 and was arrested after failing field sobriety tests. The arresting officer reported McGlasson had bloodshot and watery eyes, and that he initially stated he had consumed one beer at The Back Door, then later said he had drank one rum and coke.

McGlasson has not been arraigned and has not yet entered a plea for the DUI charge. An arraignment was scheduled for Jan. 8, 2013 in Kenai Court, but McGlasson filed a request to hold that hearing sooner so he could return to college on Dec. 30.

Following McGlasson’s arrest, Langham learned he was on probation in connection with the Sept. 23, 2010, death of Bradley L. Simon, a 22-year-old University of Wisconsin-Stout student, and contacted probation officials in Wisconsin as is standard procedure.

McGlasson pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge on Nov. 18, 2011, and was fined $243 and sentenced to 90 days in jail, one year of probation and 200 hours of community service. Charges of party to the crime of felony murder and aggravated battery were dismissed.

McGlasson served 30 days in jail, according to Dunn County Jail staff. If he completed his community service by Nov. 30, the remaining 60 days of his jail sentence would be vacated, according to court records.

McGlasson is scheduled to be released from probation in April, said Jackie Guthrie, a Wisconsin Department of Corrections spokeswoman. If it is determined he violated his probation in Alaska, he would have to return to Wisconsin and face some type of punishment.

McGlasson’s arrest came 10 days after a Dunn County jury awarded Simon’s parents, Philip and Kathy Simon of Waunakee, Wis., $591,000, concluding a wrongful death suit the couple and their son’s estate filed in January 2011. McGlasson and Jared C. Britton, a former UW-Stout hockey player, were among the defendants named in the suit.

The jury concluded Britton, 25, of Maplewood, Minn., and McGlasson, who now attends Saint Mary’s University in Winona, Minn., where he plays hockey, were responsible for Bradley Simon’s death.

They chased Simon, who was fleeing from them on a bicycle on Sept. 18, 2010, in downtown Menomonie after an altercation at the Log Jam tavern.

Simon crashed on the bike and struck his head. Witnesses said they saw either Britton or McGlasson push the bicycle. Simon, McGlasson and Britton had been drinking alcohol prior to the crash. Simon died five days later.

Britton and McGlasson were suspended permanently from the UW-Stout hockey team and expelled from the university. Britton was found not guilty in July 2011 of criminal charges resulting from the incident.

Editor's note: This article has been corrected to reflect accurate preliminary blood-alcohol readings.

Christena O’Brien can be reached at christena.obrien@ecpc.com.

Peninsula Clarion reporter Brian Smith contributed to this report. He can be reached at brian.smith@peninsulaclarion.com.

Norseman 12/27/12 - 09:50 am
This kid has a severe alcohol

This kid has a severe alcohol issue and the continued slap on the hand is not doing him nor innocent citizens any good.

how many more people does he have to kill?

At least a lengthy prison sentence may save some poor family of losing a loved one due to this kids alcoholism.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/27/12 - 11:37 am
.78

.78 isn't likely. Not impossible, but not very likely. If Jed had a BAC of .78, he would more than likely be unconscious and needing hospitalization.
Had Jed killed someone as a result of his drinking a driving, I too would have felt a degree of guilt as I was one of those who contributed to his defense fund for his previous legal problems.
IF Jed is guilty of this DUI, he needs to spend no less than 2 yrs in a 6'X10' cell so he or someone else might avoid finding themselves 6' under ground. He needs to take responsibility for his actions. If you find yourself in trouble twice due to alcohol before your 25th birthday, and one instance resulted in the death of a young man, it's time to get some counseling. It's time for a re-evaluation of the direction of your life.

alaska
alaska 12/27/12 - 12:41 pm
Let this boy sit in jail for

Let this boy sit in jail for the New Years. I'm sure there are no classes on Dec. 30th. He wants out to party. He is where he needs to be.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/27/12 - 02:04 pm
Not necessarily to party

He's supposed to be back at St. Mary's to play hockey. St Mary's plays St Norbert's on January 4 and I'm sure there are going to be some practices prior to that game. But, my guess is, his hockey/college days may be over for a while.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 12/27/12 - 02:10 pm
Legalize it

What we need to do is legalize drinking just like we do everything else that people like doing in their HAVE IT YOUR WAY lifestyles and Freedoms to do so. CO and WA just passed two death to society laws legalizing problem areas to all of society so why not booze? Just kidding here folks.
Sometimes people never learn, i almost never did for much of my life. I would quit, then start again, then quit drinking and driving is where i am now. Even with my sister in law and nephew getting killed by a drunk did not slow me down. Praise the Lord that i never hurt anyone or got caught when driving drunk. But, i promise you they will not do anything to stop the madness of driving drunk, but, let some sick evil person kill someone with a simiauto and we must act now to stop this madness. What can i say other than i hope this kid learns before his life is totally messed up due to drinking.

anrsvc
anrsvc 12/27/12 - 06:42 pm
Probably did a pbt of .078

Probably did a pbt of .078 BrAC instead of a .78. I think that the totality of the circumstances needed to be taken into account in the Wisconson case as it relates to this DUI. One dead guy as a result of conduct, risking everybodys lives here in Kenai with no regard of what he has put so many people through, and no indication that he would change. After all, his conduct has already taken the life of someone.

I think that the courts sould depart upward in sentencing on this current DUI.

motely
motely 12/27/12 - 07:35 pm
Here we are

We have some punk that was involved in a death and charges dismissed, and he thinks its ok to have a few drinks, probation or not its not ok ! Felony murder charge dropped so its ok to have a drink or two, he's here in school portraying the good boy B.S, oh judge our son wants to attend school and be the best he can be, please forgive this tragedy, YAH RIGHT ! RED FLAG
he's never gonna learn, let him sit with the other S.O.B s ( But he's depressed ) I say let him sit there, If his Po. should let him return to school ( recommendation ) shame on him or her, ENABLING and addict

motely
motely 12/27/12 - 07:52 pm
RE: .78

You speak calmly about this hockey star, its only a matter of time and something horrible will happen again, his kin or someone has pulled strings for the death of the other young man, this hockey star has never felt remorse and I'll just bet has never stopped the partying, being the Important pile of you know what he is.
I wonder if he has a soul ? my guess Probably not a healthy one, its to bad we live in the rotten messed up world these days
i'll bet the hockey star will use the ( I'm depressed ) B.S, or I'm on meds and there not really working or I'm BI POLAR,
In hopes the great star will sit there just like all other people that do wrong here, the sentences set down here are harsh ! and the great star deserves to sit there with people like Hurlbert, the punk that ran the 2 joggers over earlier this summer, he only had pot and a little meth 2 days prior, did they blood test the great hockey star ? why not ? they do it to every one else, PUNK ! a 30 day spin and dry treatment doesnt work 90 % of the time, I love hearing people say that it does, in 30 days a person isnt even dried out, they come out all knowed up, and a short time after that there off to races again, RARE does it work, statistics prove it ! long term treatment has much better statistics, PROVEN ! good luck hockey boy !

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/27/12 - 08:11 pm
Motely

It sounds to me like you know this young man. If not, please don't make assumptions.
I noticed the Clarion corrected the BAC to .078 which legally is not intoxicated. We have no idea if he was blood tested or not as the article doesn't mention it one way or the other.
The court system will run its course. Either way, I am sure he probably broke the conditions of his probation since his last criminal case was alcohol related. If not guilty of being legally drunk he did consume. Probation violation? Back to jail if it is.

jlmh
jlmh 12/27/12 - 08:19 pm
I remember when there were

I remember when there were posters all over the community painting Jed as a good kid who happened to be involved in some freak accident resulting in another's death - and they FUND RAISED for his defense! Clearly it was more than a fluke, since he is still drinking and making bad judgments. Hopefully the community and justice system won't be fooled twice.

motely
motely 12/27/12 - 08:36 pm
jLmh

Thumbs Up ! so true on the not partying of the great star, he's no different than anyone else and i'll just bet that the legal system wont be so relaxed this time, if they are SHAME ON THEM, I wonder how the poor family of the young man thats no longer here feel about the great star getting arrested again for partying and trying to get out to return to school ( POOR ME ) which by the way is a thinking error called VICTIM STANCE
perhaps attending the 3 month or 6 month program that is present within the jail he might learn the 52 thinking errors, yes 52, kinda like certain peoples comments here, thinking errors are flying all over the place and they dont even know it, the hockey star needs to learn and get well his career is washed up ! sit there and get right !

motely
motely 12/28/12 - 12:57 am
RE: SAM PUFENDORF

I do not know this young man and do not care too,
point is Sir .078 or .78 who ever made the mistake it was a mistake the young man did do wrong and the young man should do the time, you play you pay, he didnt learn his lesson with the accident that took a life RED FLAG Sir guess what he's still drinking
I feel sorry for his parents and really sorry for the family that lost the young man and the great hockey star getting off on that,
I am a recovering alcoholic and sober 8 years that Sir would be the desire to stop and little support today, My choice ! and a little help from the legal system, anyone that says they can quit without support, would be 1 in a million, so me judging another for driving drunk and putting others at harm, Is my choice and hope the young hockey star gets a little time and know one to the rescue to enable him anymore, maybe the good officer that pulled him over saved his life or maybe the good officer that pulled him over saved a child from being run over, how will we ever know, I wish the young star an awakening to do right for all, how about role modeling ! theres a thought, no harm meant here only frustrated with the disease

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/28/12 - 09:02 am
frustrated with the disease

You are correct motely! It is a disease! We have no idea if Jed is a chronic drinker, binge drinker, or if this happened to be his moment of weakness and he was caught. I AM NOT DEFENDING HIM! Not by a stretch. Regardless of if this is the first time he has drank since that night in Wisconsin or if this is something that is a repeated and/or on going pattern, he made a poor thoughtless and immature choice that very easily could have resulted in unbearable pain for many people, he will need to pay the piper as the courts see fit!
But as you said, alcoholism is a disease. However, as you know the drinking is a symptom, not a cause of the disease.
To that end, my daughter attended the alumni hockey game the other night and when she got home, told me she was disgusted with many of the kids at that game and one parent. They were heckling him and most of the heckling was in reference to his past. Grant it, kids will be thoughtless and immature, but an adult, a man with children of his own using a tragedy such as that to try gaining an advantage in a meaningless game is unthinkable and unforgivable. Could have this quite possibly been a trigger, a chink in his armor? Again, strength is one of the keys to staying in front of the disease. You should know that! I am assuming you are a person of years greater than 30 and have children of your own. You have been sober eight years? Mr McGlasson is 23. What brought you to sobriety? Jed quite possibly hadn't had a drink in quite sometime (I don't know this, but I don't know that he has steadily been drinking either). A night of heckling on a tragedy that has changed so many lives and ended one was maybe enough to push one over the wrong edge. Maybe that unrelenting guilt was pushed to another level. Some would think this heckling would strengthen ones resolve to change, but as you know the disease is never "cured" but instead, it is an extended state of remission. It rears its ugly head from time to time and it is one of may battles that needs to be won! An alcoholic is constantly battling the disease to avoid indication of symptoms.
We are quick to judge, but slow to understand all of the elements. As a society, we choose not to punish, but to correct ones mistakes, hence the term, "department of corrections." Mr McGlasson maybe should have spent more time behind bars, or many more hours of civic service lecturing other youth on the consequences of binge drinking and the responsibilities that go with social drinking. Maybe it is the system that failed by allowing Mr McGlasson to escape reflection, to seek his correction? I know I had a hand in it! I was one of many that contributed financially to his defense. And that does affect me. I dodged a very big bullet! Had he met a family at that intersection and killed someone or himself, I too would have had blood on my hands and suffered the guilt for the remainder of my life.
But assumptions into Jeds psyche serve little purpose. Since you are a recovering alcoholic you too have faced your demons and I imagine from time to time you still do!
At this holiest of seasons, I pray for Jed, his family and the family of Mr Simon and for the wisdom of our court system to help Mr McGlasson put his life on a more productive and less destructive path.

motely
motely 12/28/12 - 05:14 pm
RE : SAM

Very well spoken, I feel pain in my walk through every day of my life and beg for forgiveness from my friend above, I sit here now sobbing as I write this brief story in great hopes that it may help this young man Mr. McGlasson.
There was a time when I was very young and whitnessing the abuse of my mother for many years and also bullied by all the children in the schools I attended and walking many miles home every day so the other children couldnt harm me, I still feel that pain and fear today and I am 47 years old, when I was 15 years old 1982 I had been beaten almost to death and left to die when someone found me, I left home shortly after that injury and across the U.S I went and a scared young man and not a friend in the world, I ended up here in Alaska.
Then another horrible accident in 2002, by this time I had several children, and now 6, I was always a kind fella and suppose I still am, in the year 2003 after the second closed head injury I had finally lost control, This would be when I had fallen into addiction, Depressed and lost and on a path to die, I was finally approached in 2005 by a few Officers and put in jail where I belonged they saved my life and my family and community were finally safe.
I once again had lost everything my children, my wife, home everything !
2 1/2 years I had spent in jail, alone ! wondering how my family was, This would be when I realized I was sick and had a disease at that time, there was a program within the jail,
A long term treatment and a level 3.5 the hardest in the nation to finish program complete, That program was the hardest thing I'd ever done and completed my whole life, I was with Murderers, peoples with the most horrendous crimes you could possibly Imagine, we were all there fighting for the same thing.
June 6th 2008 I was released from the jail and program complete, A gift ! I walked down the street with a box of letters from my children and the clothes on my back, no home, no family, nothing.
I resided at a place for homeless men with a great deal of rules, rules that were Good for me but not for many that have stayed there, I had left a super structured environment while in that program for 20 months and right into another environment with great structure, Structure I suppose I never had as a troubled young man and then addiction, that place for homeless men would be the friendship mission of kenai.
with 25 years or so of addiction under my belt and a short 7+ years sober it is a battle and a fight and it will be for the rest of my life and with the tools I took with me from that long term level 3.5 cognitive program, I am stronger than ever, and I struggle every day with that evil disease, Mr McGlasson has a chance to better his life perhaps his lawyer might request bed to bed treatment, Long term, as far as the adult heckling him that is not good, accidents happen, do I think Mr. McGlasson only had a drink because of the heckling ? NO I'm sure he hasn't stopped drinking, anyone that says they can that's a true addict is wrong ! with out the tools and support its not possible, I once Had a friend that was a substance abuse counselor and he had 30 years and believed in having zero support, only make your mind up to do it, he is now deceased because he relapsed, Drank himself to death !
Mr. McGlasson will never heal properly and the hecklers will never stop until he faces his disease head on, talking to children about binge drinking because he was ordered to is not going to stop the path of destruction he is on ( DEATH OR PRISON ) Perhaps his spirit really needs to be broken before he accepts the help he truly needs, as an addict I had to admit and have the desire to fight this disease
I am proud today and my children and wife are safe and I for one thank the legal system for the push and structure they gave me that I never had.
I pray for Mr. McGlasson Like you do, role modeling for children is powerful, perhaps he might think about talking with someone that might challenge him and answer questions he might have.
Today could be the beginning of a new life for him if he would ask for help, being the star he is and getting pulled over with a new charge only creates problems for himself, heckler or no heckler, its no excuse for putting himself and all others at harm.

motely
motely 12/28/12 - 06:26 pm
RE : Hecklers

Further more on the Hecklers, those children like all learn what they see, if an adult is heckling or has them heckling with him, shame on that adult, perhaps Mr. McGlasson might begin to role model by writing a letter to the communities that look up to him and his fame, maybe a true apology and a plan, staying on the path he's full speed ahead on now ( DEATH OR PRISON ) because his team mates might be partying after the game, doesnt mean he has to do the same, insert negative substance and bad things happen to all, no one person is any different than another with a few drinks in em,

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/28/12 - 06:55 pm
Re: Motely

Thank you for sharing your past. With any luck, Jed will read it and understand, there is more than one path in life.
Also, thanks for taking a more compassionate and open minded approach to this case. Things are not always as they may seem.
May you have continued success in your recovery in 2013, and may happiness and health bless you for years to come.

motely
motely 12/28/12 - 11:41 pm
Good Day Sam Von Pufendorf

I too hear the compassion for another in your voice, I tend to head straight to defense mode which would be fear, another thinking error, and a strong tool I had taken with me from that program, but can sure be harmful to another, and for that I apologize.
This young man has a family and friends I'm sure that want to see him take this world and rise to fame and success, I urge someone to take a strong look at this particular program, nothing like it in the world and the success rate is I believe stronger than any other, and not only in the horrible place like prison, 2 years ago I had received a call from a cousin and a cry for help his 18 year old daughter had fallen to addiction and youngsters dying at a rapid rate from addiction in a small town in northern Mi. I immediatly located a program just like the one I challenged, in battle creek Mi. when I arrived we drove with his daughter for a walk through at the facility within 3 days she entered the facility and 8 months later she completed the program and is still cruzen today in a great direction, and was in 6 prior treatments ( short term ) and nothing had ever worked, the phone calls I received from that young girl while she was there, begging me to get her out of there, afraid because it was so difficult and all the crying.
I believe it costed me $ 26,000 I am fortunate that I was able to help save a life and who knows maybe others too,
Thank you for your compassion, you taught me a very good lesson this evening, and that Sir would to be a little more compassionate.
Spending time in jail is not the answer for all, and yes just maybe the good officer saved his life and now the hecklers have something to complain about while there having a few drinks, we're all human and will make mistakes till we die, and we will all have bumps in our roads, its what we all do with those bumps is what matters, Only GOD can truly judge me.
not some heckler, going to bar a having a drink is not the answer by any means.
Good Luck with the new year as well.

ak1979
ak1979 12/29/12 - 07:48 am
KARMA

It always come back to you...

Their dream should be taken, like the life that has been taken...

motely
motely 12/29/12 - 10:47 am
RE: Karma

Karma is present for sure ! believe in it 100 % and perhaps Mr. McGlasson being pulled over for having a nip might be his time too get right ! if he is allowed to continue with this path of destruction ( courts keep letting him go ) I'll just bet in time something might happen again, perhaps being who he is ( star en all ) he's not able to work on self ! DON'T KNOW,
Karma is a tough one to deal with for sure ! someone within the legal system is definitely recommending his direction right now If that was me or another person that had gotten pulled over especially with the last tragedy hang en over head, we would still be sitting in jail, BELIEVE IT ! someone needs to stop the madness before another accident takes place, shame on whoever might be recommending this to courts !

ak1979
ak1979 12/29/12 - 11:24 am
Karma

Amen Motely, amen...

motely
motely 12/29/12 - 11:57 am

A lengthy sentence could save lives and sitting there for a little spell he I'm sure would cry boo who, I'm sorry !! please get me out of here ! whoever might be recommending to the courts and allowing him to proceed with his fame, is only enabling him,I wonder what happened to his court ordered B.S you must talk to children about binge drinking, If it was I who had the past he has and getting pulled over recently we would still be sitting there / jail with the other folks,
Someone is recommending his direction only out of jail and enabling him to keep nippen and not helping him with what he really needs, although him thinking he's gott er figured out with his nippen, or I got this under control ! he doesnt ! and something will happen again, he apparently has a lawyer that has a little stroke ! its all on whoever's shoulders thats keeps letting him cause havoc where ever he's present,
I'll just bet that with his career en all he wouldn't or couldn't take time to seek the help he needs
or maybe his enabler is telling the courts that the star is talking with a counselor about his past and thats all he needs, I love it when peoples make those comments ! therapy is all he needs.
JAILS, INSTITUTIONS, AND DEATH, IS WHERE HE'S HEADED !!

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/29/12 - 11:52 am
KARMA and Compassion

Motely, obviously you had found your "bottom." The point where the light went on and you knew you could no longer travel down the path you were on. That was probably the loss of your family and your home. In all likelihood, Jed McGlasson has not yet found his bottom. Or possibly this is it. And the very real possibility exists that he may never find the bottom as happens to so many in the throws of addiction. But at 23, there is hope. His "star" status aside, I have heard from people that know him that he is a kind hearted young man. Addiction may alter that kindness and it definitely alters ones ability to make good decisions.

I am not in any way advocating for leniency for Jed. I am however advocating for hope and compassion. The hope that he may get the help he needs to overcome his addiction and the compassion to not simply throw away another (Brad's being the first) young life.

While a jail cell may very well be in Jed's future, let's not waste money, jail space, time and most importantly, another young life. Let us use the logic of compassion for his rehabilitation. If he is indeed sentenced to serve out the time on his previous conviction in addition to time for DUI, let's not just have him locked up for a limited time with no effort to actually treat his addiction. Let's use that time to not only give his life meaning, but to show that Brad's death was not in vein and find some meaning in his death. If we don't we may bear witness to a tragedy greater than that which we have already witnessed.
KARMA is a funny thing. It affects all including compassion. If you fail to afford compassion, you yourself will not be afforded compassion. Just as you believe in KARMA, I believe everything happens for a reason. The reason for the loss of Brad's life hasn't yet been revealed to us, but there is a reason! Unless we look for that answer, Brad Simon will have indeed died in vein.
I have asked myself; "if I were Brads Father or Mother what would I do? How would I feel? What would I want?" It is impossible for me to answer any of those questions as I have never and God willing, will never lose a child. But I do know I would pray for the compassion which my faith teaches me to have.

motely
motely 12/29/12 - 12:05 pm
RE : SAM VON

This is the point ! he has not found his bottom and ( HIS SPIRIT HAS NOT BEEN CRUSHED ) I HAVE COMPASSION FOR Mr. McGlasson this is the whole point Karma is present and in time the young man will get the help he needs, I'll just bet he's a pretty good kid, and at 23 there is hope I'll just bet he's suffering inside ! with all thats taken place, and having to up hold his stature.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/29/12 - 12:27 pm
Star Status BS

McGlasson a "star?" Come on! We're not talking about Wayne Gretzky here! We're talking about a kid who lost scholarships in a D2 program and is playing for a small Catholic college in south eastern Minnesota. He hasn't played in Alaska in two years other than a charity alumni game last week. Really? A star? Should he be punished beyond what a ... non "celebrity" would be? As far as I can see from this article, nothing has been done differently than would be done for you or I.
His celebrity status unfortunately is due more to his conviction in Wisconsin than his hockey prowess in college.
Do you know for a fact that Mr McGlasson is NOT still sitting in Wildwood? I read the article again and it says nothing of his release. Standard release procedure is for the defendant to be able to blow <.04 before release and have the means to post bail. By law, his previous conviction carries no weight in Alaska except notification of possible probation violation in Wisconsin for disorderly conduct. It would more than likely carry a lot of weight in his trial for DUI in Alaska given the circumstances.
Those that don't have all of the facts should not be posting assumptions. So much for our constitutional right to trial where we are innocent until proven guilty.

voice
voice 12/29/12 - 12:53 pm
How Sad

I think it is unbelievable that I moved to this community 7 years ago because everyone was so caring and considerate, and now look how you all are behaving! When did it become okay to judge others? We all have things within ourselves that are bad and wrong, but to listen to all of you who have commented on McGlasson's mistakes, you sound like the voices of perfect upstanding citizens without ANY flaws. Well good for you! I hope all of you can feel good about the things you are posting on this story. You are his judge and jury, imagine for just one second... that this was your son, how would you react to others saying the mean and horrible things you are all saying? It would hurt so terribly, but unfortunately none of you stopped to think about that. Well I have children too, and they are so not perfect, but I love them anyways. I hope that he can learn from this, as we all make bad choices, and we have to pay the consequences for them. But I don't believe that any one of us is better than any of the others. If your so godly why are you here? I think a big "shame on you all" applies here. You all should apologize for being judgemental of this young man who is going to pay for his bad choices on his own. Forgiveness and kindness are the two qualities that show how big of a person we really are, you all should try finding those qualities from within.

Saddened Peninsula Resident

Suss
Suss 12/29/12 - 01:41 pm
Now it is .065 BAC

Looks like this case is still evolving, conflicting reports by quoted police statements should give pause to anyone attempting to judge his guilt. Let's sit back and wait to see if there was even a crime committed or just a wild accusation. Is that not what we were taught in civics?

"Sgt. Langham says a preliminary breathalyzer test shows that McGlasson’s blood alcohol content was .065 percent, but that a person doesn’t necessarily have to have a blood alcohol content of .08 percent to be charged with Driving Under the Influence in Alaska."

l

Localmrs
Localmrs 12/29/12 - 01:52 pm
My family member was killed by a drinking driver

Driving is a privilege not a right. If anyone chooses to drive while drinking any alcohol they are not fully respecting others on the road and taking driving seriously. I'm all about forgiveness and not holding grudges- but the character of someone who has shown what boundaries they are willing to cross must be taken into account to protect the innocent. Someone who knowingly drinks any alcohol and gets in a car after they have caused a previous tragedy is unpredictable and therefore all measures should be taken to prevent them from driving again. Better to have your life spared and not drive than to be killed by someone else's foolish choice.

ak1979
ak1979 12/29/12 - 02:02 pm
DUI

He may not have been DWI by Alaska state law, but the DMV sees things very different, and has their own "rules" when it comes to blowing anything over zero. His PO will have their own "rules" too, I am pretty sure.

KMarx
KMarx 12/29/12 - 04:39 pm
Didn't pay attention in meetings?

Did the recovering alcoholics in this thread not pay attention when they heard they "shouldn't compare their insides with somebody else's outsides", or work your own program". Ugly, ugly comments and conclusions based on nothing.

motely
motely 12/29/12 - 11:53 pm
Judging another is wrong,

Judging another is wrong, oh how convenient that the bac is now a .065 all the way from a .078 how is this possible,
not DWI Alaska standards ! good job to his attorney on finding a loop hole with the stinken breathalyzer ( ENABLING ) the way the paper and the posts here are read and monies poured into the young mans defense with the last tragedy, only sounds like he's this great star, bottom line here is that his P.O will be directing his fate and maybe, just maybe he might see the light !
hope that doesn't offend the meeting member.
Voicing an opinion here might be out of concern yah know when there was already a terrible tragedy,
FEAR FOR ANOTHER MAYBE ! was that offending or crossing a boundary ? I think not ! ak1979 great point ! that you made, the hockey star / young man and his fate might just be on stand by with this, still struggling with the 3 times the BAC levels have changed, Interesting and something smells funny ! BOTTOM LINE IS ALCOHOL KILLS PEOPLE FOLKS !!
lets not judge and sit back to see if he was legally drunk ! my lord I've heard it all
GOOD LUCK YOUNG MAN AND GET SOME HELPPPPPPPPPPPP