Nikiski's McGlasson faces new charge

DUI arrest may complicate probation of local hockey player

Posted: December 26, 2012 - 9:47pm  |  Updated: December 28, 2012 - 12:07pm

A Nikiski man on probation for his role in the death of a college student in Wisconsin in 2010 was arrested Christmas Eve for driving under the influence.

Jedidiah R. McGlasson, 23, of Nikiski, was stopped by police at 2:56 a.m. Monday in Kenai after he failed to stop at a stop sign, said Sgt. Ben Langham of the Kenai Police Department.

McGlasson had a preliminary blood-alcohol reading of .078 and was arrested after failing field sobriety tests. The arresting officer reported McGlasson had bloodshot and watery eyes, and that he initially stated he had consumed one beer at The Back Door, then later said he had drank one rum and coke.

McGlasson has not been arraigned and has not yet entered a plea for the DUI charge. An arraignment was scheduled for Jan. 8, 2013 in Kenai Court, but McGlasson filed a request to hold that hearing sooner so he could return to college on Dec. 30.

Following McGlasson’s arrest, Langham learned he was on probation in connection with the Sept. 23, 2010, death of Bradley L. Simon, a 22-year-old University of Wisconsin-Stout student, and contacted probation officials in Wisconsin as is standard procedure.

McGlasson pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge on Nov. 18, 2011, and was fined $243 and sentenced to 90 days in jail, one year of probation and 200 hours of community service. Charges of party to the crime of felony murder and aggravated battery were dismissed.

McGlasson served 30 days in jail, according to Dunn County Jail staff. If he completed his community service by Nov. 30, the remaining 60 days of his jail sentence would be vacated, according to court records.

McGlasson is scheduled to be released from probation in April, said Jackie Guthrie, a Wisconsin Department of Corrections spokeswoman. If it is determined he violated his probation in Alaska, he would have to return to Wisconsin and face some type of punishment.

McGlasson’s arrest came 10 days after a Dunn County jury awarded Simon’s parents, Philip and Kathy Simon of Waunakee, Wis., $591,000, concluding a wrongful death suit the couple and their son’s estate filed in January 2011. McGlasson and Jared C. Britton, a former UW-Stout hockey player, were among the defendants named in the suit.

The jury concluded Britton, 25, of Maplewood, Minn., and McGlasson, who now attends Saint Mary’s University in Winona, Minn., where he plays hockey, were responsible for Bradley Simon’s death.

They chased Simon, who was fleeing from them on a bicycle on Sept. 18, 2010, in downtown Menomonie after an altercation at the Log Jam tavern.

Simon crashed on the bike and struck his head. Witnesses said they saw either Britton or McGlasson push the bicycle. Simon, McGlasson and Britton had been drinking alcohol prior to the crash. Simon died five days later.

Britton and McGlasson were suspended permanently from the UW-Stout hockey team and expelled from the university. Britton was found not guilty in July 2011 of criminal charges resulting from the incident.

Editor's note: This article has been corrected to reflect accurate preliminary blood-alcohol readings.

Christena O’Brien can be reached at christena.obrien@ecpc.com.

Peninsula Clarion reporter Brian Smith contributed to this report. He can be reached at brian.smith@peninsulaclarion.com.

motely
motely 12/29/12 - 11:56 pm
RE : Sam Von Fendorf

Compassion and hope, that is sure the way I feel,
I'm only human ! and work on the judging thing daily, bottom line here is he was drinking and he I'm sure has never stopped, heckling or not, no excuse, How do i think his family feels ? probably worried and I'll bet get a lotta flack considering all the circumstances, not sure but doesn't hockey portray the drinking, fighting, tough guy thing,
I am pretty positive that if I blew a .78 I would have difficulty getting it dropped down too a non DWI status, the stinken numbers have changed 3 times,
Maybe His P.O lets him proceed or recommends for him to return home and deal with it there and its washed under bridge again ! who knows, and what ever happens, happens
hopefully Mr. McGlasson gets a clue and hopefully someone with some stroke gives him the push / structure he needs to get right and be real when he talks to children about binge drinking, continuing to pray and hope is good and just so happens I do it through out the day, MY CHOICE !

Norseman 12/30/12 - 08:37 am
voice

big difference between making a mistake and killing someone. This kid will get zero sympathy from me.

If after you have killed someone due to drunken behavior, and you continue to drink, then you have proven by your actions that you are a continued threat to innocent citizens.

Ask the family and friends of the poor dead young man he killed how was their holiday season? They probably sat around the Christmas table sadly missing their son.

In the meantime, McGlasson is down at the backdoor partying.......

Sorry but this isn't about forgiveness or caring, it is about innocent people losing their lives to those who CHOOSE to drink and harm others.
The next time it may be you or one of your kids he kills while drinking.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/30/12 - 10:15 am
RE: Voice

Norseman, I am so happy our inalienable (unable to be taken away) 5th amendment right to due process is alive and well. It will be a sad day when the media and police serves as judge and jury as well.

voice
voice 12/30/12 - 10:35 am

First let me start by saying "He was NOT convicted of killing anyone!" Just because he was accused and was forced to go through all the ridicule, they were NOT able to "beyond the shadow of a doubt" convict him. HE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY! Since our judicial systems work so well (not); and WE are so quick to convict innocent people and let the lifetime criminals work the system and get away with crap, we really should rethink how much faith we have in that system.

And I am so sure that the young man who died, was completely innocent and did nothing wrong in this situation. It was sad that he lost his life, but I doubt that his actions were completely without some wrong doing, but we will never know will we?

So lets look at your life under a microscope, are you the poster child for perfection? You and all these people who started this rant are horrible people who KARMA will come back and bite you for being so judgemental! I am not saying that he has made perfect choices, but you can damn well be sure that none of us are perfect and that does not give you or anyone else the right to judge him like you are.

I feel sorry for you and those "ranters" who accompany you on this blog. I hope that everything in your life always is black and white like you are making this situation. If not and someone makes a mistake and is judging the way you all are..... poor you. You will get what you have given and remember "negative breeds and attracts negative", good luck with that.

We as opinionated people never let our alligator mouths overload our crocodile butts right?

Oh and in case you all failed to notice..... 0.078 and 0.065 are NOT .008 so he cannot be convicted of squat! NOT a DUI at all.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/30/12 - 11:39 am
RE: Voice

I agree in principle with your post directed at norseman, except for two things:
1) A person can be convicted of OUI with a BAC of .075 as long as impairment can be demonstrated.
2) As we have no idea of his conditions of probation, we can't say with certainty that he broke those conditions by consuming. However, if he did, that may either add to his time on probation, have him serve additional time or both.

But if Jed does find himself in ANY trouble as a result of this latest episode, I would hope that he recognizes the common denominator between the two and acts to correct his path before it is to late.

The bottom line is, it is up to the courts to decide, not a bunch of us under informed bloggers who are neither legal nor moral experts.

motely
motely 12/30/12 - 03:49 pm
Re : Voice, Sam Van flenDorf, non of us are perfect !

Your Damn right on that by far is anyone perfect !
Bottom line is Alcohol Kills ! he was in court and proven innocent, but a life was lost ! and the family i'm sure misses there son, Norseman is correct and has the right to an opinion, it is an opinion ! I respect Norsemans opinion like I respect yours, do I have to agree with anything ? absolutely NOT ! DO YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME ABSOLUTELY NOT ! EVERYTHING WE DO IN LIFE IS A CHOICE ! some good, some bad, today I do the very best I can for my children and all others, that Sir is my choice.
Our legal system is by far a perfect one ! here sentences passed down are harsh and quick to send you away ! guilty or not,
.078, .07, .068 its changed 3 times, bottom line is the young star is still drinking, just like hundreds of others on a daily basis driving the streets, unreal with the, lets wait and see if he's convicted of a DWI, HE'S STILL DRINKING RIGHT ! wouldn't that be enough ! He's guilty for that !!
voicing an opinion, I have ! roll modeling for my children is all I have, teaching right and wrong is all I can do, I was once one of those people that drove from bar to bar ! and a raging alcoholic I was, and many accidents and thank GOD no one was hurt, Stopping the drinking was hard at 1st, behind bars I had no choice but to get right, I had spent 18 months in prison for something I had nothing to do with, INNOCENT ! sentence was passed down here, so I know all about the system and how right they are, BUTTTTT it saved my life and am I thankful for it yes, I was fortunate enough to confront the officer that sent me away for something I had nothing to do with, JUMPING DOWN HIS THROAT earlier this year ! BUT I was also able to make contact with him later and apologize AND thank him for saving my life,
Courts or no courts the young hockey kid was wrong and is wrong for continuing to feed his addiction and accept the fact that he might just have a problem, If he was to someday really become a thriving star, I for one would look at him a lot different if he was roll modeling and addressing this problem he might have with alcohol who knows maybe the next news head line might be positive for the young man.
Really though ! this kinda term oil he has brought on himself ! we're all human and judging is I believe quite normal, but not healthy, negative does bring negative and I for one deal with it on a regular basis, changing a long lived behavior is a challenge just like having an addiction, A challenge to change, what we are taught as youngsters by parents and the world we live in sets the paths when growing to adult hood,
for me changing those behavior was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life, and by choice I am a better person today and work on it 24/7 and am by far perfect in any way,
I fear the day when my children might drink alcohol, because they will, this I know ! roll modeling and giving what I can to my children and others is all I can do.
Bashing some kid might be wrong,him and his family enduring this adversity is healthy, how is it not ?!!!!! He's still drinking and was only just caught,

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 12/30/12 - 05:16 pm
don't be so hard on Norseman

Norseman is like the waves tossed here and there with every wind of doctrine and unstable in all his ways. First he votes for Obama as the messiah and wants his Fundamental Change and Hope to Believe in with all it's do what you want, all of which implies a total loss of morals for everyones freedom of happyness. Then when people try to portake in those new freedoms of do what ever makes you happy, norseman wants those people locked up forever. But then he does not want to pay for ever for their being locked up for ever, but by god they need to pay for their sins which are all no legalized at every turn, but, not classed as sins against others.
What can we say in argument against this every changing mentality, state of mind, ideals? It does seem quite hopeless with nothing to really believe in as our fundamentals are washed down the drain for a happy self seeking fundamentally immoral America.
I do hope this guy learns while there is still time to salvage his life, but with the legal system as such, not much hope for fundamental change here or any where for that matter.

bornalaskan
bornalaskan 12/30/12 - 08:15 pm
Has a problem

They picked up one person out of the hundreds of people that run stop signs and lights daily on the peninsula. Law enforcement is slackin.

Norseman 12/31/12 - 08:05 am
voice

Your are either naive, ignorant or both if you think this was the first time this kid drank since he was arrested in connection to killing the guy on the bike. This just happened to be the "time" he got caught.
How many other times were there there that he continued to drink? My guess would be many.

Non alcoholics who may have been in this same situation whereby one night of partying resulted in being arrested for killing another human being would NEVER have another drop of alcohol touch their lips.
Alcoholics on the other hand just continue drinking and as a result, continue to harm other innocent people.

All you have to do is look at the track record of drug addicts and alcoholics who continue to cause harm to others until they either die, get incarcerated, or perhaps stop drinking/using.

If being involved in a felony murder while being drunk isn't enough of a wake call, then this kid is just gonna continue until we read about how he mucks out a family of five while DWI.

If you do not pay attention to the red flags here, then you can expect someone else is gonna be hurt or killed again.

We have too many people in this community who have had their lives altered dramatically due to people who have been given multiple chances to get their stuff together. Need to stop coddling and either order them to treatment or send them to jail before the next time it is your child, nephew, cousin, father, or friend who dies at their hands.

motely
motely 12/31/12 - 01:07 pm

WELL SPOKEN !
Voice, and Sam Von Farfendorf obviously RECOGNIZING a potential down hill
problem that will continue to grow, you spoke it correct, RED FLAGS ! and myself being an alcoholic addict fight this demon and will for the rest of my life, although as the days, months, years pass it seems a lot easier BUT I CANNOT LET GUARD DOWN, meaning who one associates with is Important and was always my downfall,
Being led astray / sideways, I literally laughed out loud while reading here, Oh lets not judge and wait to see if he actually drank enough to violate his probation and or receive a DWI, DUI, let me tell you something HE'S STILL DRINKING AND HASN'T STOPPED ONLY WAS JUST CAUGHT !! HELLLLLLLLLLOOOO, VOICE, AND SAM VAN FIFFENDORF HE'S STILL DRINKING !!!!!! just like the 1000 other peoples driving the streets daily, this very issue is on the other article in the news here, HEROIN USE ON THE KENAI same disease folks, and very concerning, alcohol Kills how many innocent people a year ? I'll bet the numbers are startling ! what really make me wanna puke is re reading the article and his P.O mentioning that if he was found in violation here, he would have some kind of punishment back home, WTH !!! WELL LETS SEE WOULDNT THIS BE THE PERSON THAT COULD SAVE THIS KIDS LIFE !! YESSSSSSSSSS IT COULD BE, a 30 day treatment / spin and dry folks wont work !! good luck on that,
we will see him somewhere again in the news with something negative that has taken place, BECAUSE HE'S AN UPCOMING ATHLETE FOLKS ! HE'S BRINGING THE TERM OIL on himself,
NOTHING POSITIVE !!

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 12/31/12 - 04:38 pm
RE: Motely

Unfortunately (and I sincerely mean this), there is a difference between the legal aspects of Mr McGlasson's actions and the moral reflection he must render himself.
None on this blog have any credible idea of the legal implications of what has transpired with Jed McGlasson. He has not even entered a plea in his current case and we have no idea of his probationary conditions. There is still an issue of innocent until proven guilty. Regardless of any past wrongs, Jed is still entitled to due course.
I think we all concede that Jed more than likely has issues with alcohol that he needs to address. But you yourself motely are keenly aware that he has no hope of correcting this unless he is ready to face it head on! Most addicts remain addicts for the simple reason they feel they have no problem. They are unable to admit ... to surrender to the fact that they are being consumed. We can hope and pray an addict can envision what needs to be done, but there is another trait of addicts, the more you TELL them they have a problem, the more they resist. You can not impose your will upon them, even by a guilty verdict, jail time, or a death. They have to have their own realization. THEY must see the light come on! THEY must have their own "come to Jesus"
moment. One person's moment is different from another and the sad truth is, some never see the light. Why do you think we have so many multiple DUI offenders? A simple look at ones past is an indicator of the future ... if a new course is not taken. Unlike investments, addiction can honestly say "past performance IS an indicator of future results."
We all agree that this young man found himself in a less than desirable position, not once, but twice. However, there are two aspects to this particular story... legal and moral. One can be imposed, the other must be realized.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 12/31/12 - 05:27 pm
By Jove i Think you've got it.

Very Good Kenai Kid, SVP. Trueer words were never spoken and it is as you say. We all must come to that place where we have the Lights click on and somebodys home or we, they will never learn or accept reality of life or the situation we are all in. Even after my sister in law and nephew got killed by a drunk driver i drank and drove not knowing how i got home sometimes. Not until the lights came on did i realize that i needed halp and no matter how hard i tried on my own as a 6'4" 290lbr athelitic male, i could not succeed or stop my self destructive path. Not until i surrendered all to that "Jesus moment" could i begin to heal and am still healing with daily struggles of all kinds for my self gratification of the desires of the flesh, sin nature. It can be done, but it sure will be a life long struggle for some, others can just stop and go on with no troubles.
Happy New Year KK and thanks for your insight and words of wisdom ment to help others see reality of life and the need to have that "Light of the World" come into your heart for the start of True healing and recovery that EVERY SINGLE PERSON ALIVE NEEDS, BEFORE IT'S TO LATE.

motely
motely 01/01/13 - 03:12 am
ak1979
ak1979 01/01/13 - 04:03 pm
lets agree...

....that a slap on the hand, and a finger shaken in the face is not going to do this time...

motely
motely 01/02/13 - 10:57 am
SAM / WATCHMAN

SAM,
Being an addict alcoholic like myself with a little clean time under my belt, is good i suppose and having an addictive behavior is a bummer, luckily today the only thing I BLACK OUT on these day, is coffee, and I have recently realized that I am now abusing that.
So my friend its always gonna be something with me, and no different than millions of others that share this ROTTEN disease they call ADDICTION.
Mr. McGlasson is a kid that could someday really become something, and coming from NIKISKI ALASKA TO BOOT ! an honor.
An unfortunate tragedy had occurred and things worked out to where he was found innocent, being found a good athlete took a lot of hard work by him, his family, friends, and peoples like yourself, SUPPORT !! Jed is no different than most kids his age, he's 23 and free, and ready to take the world on, when I turned 23 I was standing on main floor at an Aerosmith concert in down town Detroit on whiskey and acid and sporting a mullet, A KID ! and a world that helped direct my traffic for the most part ! Jed will eventually come to terms with his disease, and its really non of my business what he does or what anyone does for that matter, comments here Sam Von would be brought on by his actions and truly no harm meant coming from me, only frustrated with the disease, Someday hopefully sooner that later Jed will chat with someone, that has the tools, knowledge and able to answer the questions he might have and give him some tools to stop !
Hopefully the disease doesn't take his career because it will ! it is progressive ! and wont stop until it takes your soul and everything in its path or JAIL, and the worst that you might imagine DEATH !!
Your last post seemed to calm me, and written with compassion.
Hope you have a good year,

kathleen simon
kathleen simon 01/09/13 - 07:08 pm
Disgusted

I can personally tell you that Every Holiday for the Simon Family is "HELL". When Jed was partying at the Backdoor on Christmas Eve, the Simon Family was missing their son for their 3rd Christmas.
He was not found "Not Guilty" at his trial. Unfortunately, the DA in Wisconsin took the easy way out and made a plea bargain with him against the Simon's wishes.
The next time it may be you or one of your kids he kills while drinking.I guarantee you won't be so understanding and forgiving when he kills your loved one.

Suss
Suss 03/29/13 - 08:36 pm
Jedidiah McGlasson, negligent driving

Follow up; DUI dismissed; given $300.00 fine for negligent driving.

Norseman 03/30/13 - 06:01 am
another slap on the hand by

another slap on the hand by our great judges......

Seems like all our DA office does is either dismiss cases or plea bargains them away. Time to get a decent DA. Who hires the DA anyway?