Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 18°
    Scattered clouds
  • Comment

Fire totals home

Posted: May 13, 2013 - 9:14pm  |  Updated: May 14, 2013 - 7:25am
Firefighters from Central Emergency Services work to extinguish a fire Monday morning at a Soldotna residence on Denali Street in the Skyline Drive area.  Brian Smith
Brian Smith
Firefighters from Central Emergency Services work to extinguish a fire Monday morning at a Soldotna residence on Denali Street in the Skyline Drive area.

A fire destroyed a two-story Denali Street home and all its contents Monday morning, an official with Central Emergency Services said. No one was seriously injured in the blaze.

When CES crews arrived at 9:57 a.m., the fire was venting from the rear and heavy, black smoke poured from the home, Fire Marshall Gary Hale said.

The home — located in the Skyline Drive neighborhood off of Kalifornsky Beach Road — belongs to Mikael and Juliane Barnes. Juliane and their two children were not at home at the time of the fire.

Hale said Mikael Barnes was on the top floor of the home when he smelled smoke and the smoke detectors sounded. He jumped from a second-story window onto the roof. Then, hanging from the gutter, he dropped to the ground.

Paramedics examined Mikael and said he suffered from minor smoke inhalation. He did not seek further medical treatment until he began to feel some back pain from his jump to safety. He was treated and released from Central Peninsula Hospital for those injuries, Hale said.

The blaze was under control within 45 minutes of the arrival of the first engine. Hale said one engine, four tankers and a rescue ladder truck from CES responded. Kenai Fire Department assisted with the call, responding with one tanker two firefighters.

The house is valued at about $200,000, and the value of lost contents is unknown. The attached garage received heavy smoke damage, but no structural damage.

Hale said the fire is believed to be a result of a malfunction with the dishwasher, which had been running 30 to 45 minutes prior to firefighters being alerted.

 

Kaylee Osowski can be reached at kaylee.osowski@peninsulaclarion.com.

  • Comment

Spotted

Please Note: You may have disabled JavaScript and/or CSS. Although this news content will be accessible, certain functionality is unavailable.

Skip to News

« back

next »

  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321268/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321253/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321248/
  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321243/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321208/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/320593/
  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321173/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321163/
My Gallery

CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS