Kenai Fire Department and Nikiski Fire Department responded to a fire at a two-story, four-plex residential building at 1502 Fathom Dr. in Kenai at 12:36 p.m. Wednesday.
The fire was contained to the roof of the building and Kenai Fire Marshal Eric Wilcox said it only took about five minutes to put out.
Three of the four apartments were occupied at the time of the fire. The residents were evacuated, and no one was injured. The fire did not displace any occupants of the building.
Wilcox said one of the residents had started a fire in his or her fireplace and an ember from the fireplace blew onto the roof, which started the cedar shake shingles on fire.
“They (cedar shake shingles) used to be very common,” Wilcox said. “You don’t see them very much anymore because they’re so flammable.”
He said there was some roof damage, but no interior damage.“It turned out to be a lot less (damage) than what it could have been,” Wilcox said.