• Scattered clouds
    Scattered clouds

Alleged kidnapper pleas guilty to lesser charges

Posted: July 24, 2013 - 8:53pm

A Soldotna man charged with two counts of kidnapping accepted a plea deal in Superior Court at Kenai Courthouse Wednesday.

Alexander Sanchez-Ramos, 28, was charged with two counts of kidnapping, two counts of third-degree assault and three counts of controlled substance misconduct — all felony charges. He faced two misdemeanor charges — one count of fourth-degree assault, and one count of driving under the influence.

The two kidnapping charges — one count for each alleged victim was dropped to one third-degree assault charge listing both victims. The second-degree controlled substance charge was dropped to a third-degree charged. The remaining charges were dismissed.

The plea agreement calls for a sentencing of 10 years with 7 1/2 years suspended. Time served will be followed by five years of probation. Sanchez-Ramos will pay restitution in an amount to be determined, forfeit all items seized, have no contact with the victims and submit to a substance abuse referral.

Sanchez-Ramos pleaded guilty to the amended charges.

Both victims were present at the hearing and Assistant District Attorney Kelly Lawson said the victims are unhappy with the agreement.

The charges are the result of an Aug. 21, 2012 incident in which Dylan Watkins called 911 to report that he and his girlfriend, Kayla Green had been kidnapped, and that Green was still being held at the nearby residence.

According to the charging documents, Alaska State Troopers located Green at the Soldotna residence as well as Sanchez-Ramos and Derae Richard, 25, the co-defendant in the case.

The alleged victims told troopers Sanchez-Ramos injected heroin, got angry and threatened to kill them with a crow bar. After Watkins fled from the house, Green told troopers Sanchez-Ramos punched her in the head and neck.

The report states Sanchez-Ramos told troopers he had smoked marijuana and Spice — synthetic marijuana. After obtaining a search warrant, troopers allegedly found 4.77 grams of heroin in the refrigerator and a digital scale with what appeared to be heroin reside in the house. Troopers discovered a glass pipe with methamphetamine residue in Richard’s purse. The crow bar reported by Watkins and Green was also located.

Sanchez-Ramos is in custody at Wildwood Pretrial Facility.

Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 20.

Kaylee Osowski can be reached at kaylee.osowski@peninsulaclarion.com.

susanj
susanj 07/25/13 - 08:31 am
really

Are you serious. Kayla was pregnant when these animals did what they did. These two victims lives will never be the same. One of the victims cousins is at Wildwood and that animal Ramos let him know what the animals are going to do to them when they get out. They never agreed with the D.A.s office to lower their charges. Now I totally understand why people do not trust the cops or the DA office. Shame on you. Now I understand why people say do not trust them and actually hate them. I will never respect the D.A. or the cops around here. I learned my lesson.

IloveEeyore
IloveEeyore 07/26/13 - 08:51 am
Blaming the cops?!

Really?! Apparently you don't know how a change of plea deal works. The DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S office proposes an offer to the defandant and their attorney. The attorney discusses it with their client and laugh at everyone involved KNOWING that they are getting away with their crime and knowing they don't have to deal with the consequences.
The cops don't have any control over what the district attorney's office decides to do. Plea deals should never happen but they happen to every single case it seems like. And certainly THIS plea deal should've NEVER happened!!! What they did was atrocious! They put that couple through hell and back. 10 charges in all and he's walking away with only TWO?!?!?!? What a joke!! Bottom line is the district attorneys office dropped the ball on this. What a disappointment. Blame them

susanj
susanj 07/26/13 - 11:07 am
venting !!!!

Iloveeverone.... I was just venting about this case..... I know I took it personal but the male victim is my son. He and Kayla have been through h:ll and back. We Parents are the ones that know mentally and physically the damage that has been done to them. The DA office never let them agree or disagree with this. We will be back in court and we all will speak. Never were able to before, this time we are gonna stand our ground. The Judge has the last decision about this on that day. The Judge is the only one that can change this.

alaskamom1970
alaskamom1970 07/26/13 - 01:11 pm
Be ready to protect yourself

After my minor daughter was sexually assaulted and we spent many hours working with police and SART nurses, the DA did not press charges. We are law abiding citizens who always believed in the justice system. What happened to my daughter is unfortunately not rare in the least and also is not uncommon at all that these cases are not prosecuted. I've heard from many parents and women that this has happened to. So I have decided that my family will now take matters into our own hands and will always have self defense tools with us!!!! Parents, arm your children with self defense techniques and whatever else you feel comfortable with them carrying, because they may be their own source of protection and justice!!! I do not understand our justice system sometimes.

susanj
susanj 07/26/13 - 03:07 pm
Be ready to protect yourself

Myheart and my prayers go out to you and your daughter. I am speechless. There is a victims advocacy group in Anchorage. What the DA does not count is victims are suspose to be able to be informed step by step on what is going on and have an input on their cases. It seems like we were all denied that right. Yes I do know about the court system. It iscrazy in this state. My son tried to protect himself. He had a pistol, now cops stop him and search him all the time. The other day in my front yard I stood behind my truck and took pictures of them searching him. I still have them on my phone. On my property, my phone not illegal. When the DA did not keep them informed of progress on the case, they violated their victims rights. Victims in all states do have rights. None of us should accept the violations. The only good thing out of this is my sons baby boy was born. We were worried because that animal beat her. Baby is healthy.

sosad
sosad 07/26/13 - 07:08 pm
Really

Susanj, you truly sadden me. Your shallow thinking and poor parenting skills is what put your daughter in that position. I'm not trying to justify what Mr. Sanchez did, but I'm sure your daughter wasn't selling Girl Scout cookies when the incident happen. I'm glad nothing much worse happen. However Mr. Sanchez got what was coming and your daughter hopefully learned a good lesson; that is to better choose who she hangs out with. Obviously the DA didn't have enough substantiated evidence other wise we would be singing a different song! In my opinion both the police and DA do a good job, most often deals are made because that is all the prosecution will ever get! Hope you do better helping raise your grand kids. And Mr. Sanchez use these two years to change your ways, the law will get you!

susanj
susanj 07/26/13 - 08:11 pm
That girl is not my

That girl is not my daughter.

alaskamom1970
alaskamom1970 07/29/13 - 11:13 am
There seems to be a trend in

There seems to be a trend in this country that when bad things happen, people want to find a way to blame the victim. I'm not sure why this is, maybe people feel better not having to worry that something bad could happen to them because they can't relate to the situation. Young people don't always make good choices. They don't always choose good friends, but making a bad choice and hanging with the wrong crowd does not make it OK for someone to victimize them. Becoming a victim of a violent crime is not an appropriate punishment for someone making a bad choice.

sosad
sosad 07/29/13 - 12:15 pm
AKMom you missed the point.

I think you missed the point AKMOM. Let me see let's suppose we have a drug dealer who breaks another dealer/drug users legs for non payment. Who is the bad person here? And I'm not saying that that is what happen here, but you nor anyone else will ever know truly why this young couple were in Mr. Ramos residency. Really you missed the point. The victims in this case are not victims, they are simply common criminals like Mr. Sanchez they just got the wrong end of the stick when the situation got out of hand. Dugh!

radiokenai
radiokenai 07/31/13 - 12:10 am
Kayla Green?
Unpublished

Now wait a minute, the name Kayla Green sure does ring a bell? Oh yes, now I remember!

Last year, while hunting for berry patches, I drove down a road called "Agate Beach" in North Kenai. When I got to the near end of the road, there was about 4-6 garbage bags thrown in a pile! I was [filtered word], so I decided to dawn some leather gloves and see if there was any evidence in the trash that would point to the PIG who threw them out! LOW AND BEHOLD, there was several documents with names all over them! My favorite was the one which was a Welfare Application. All the Social Security Numbers, Birthdays and Phone Numbers were all printed in due order.

The applicants name? KAYLA GREEN!

Yes folks, I promptly called the phone number, and was referred to "Kayla's Mom". After I informed her that I was not impressed with her daughters littering....she spouted a bunch of fowl language and slammed the phone down.

Perhaps Miss Kayla Green is not this poor ole innocent thing after all?

Kayla: if you read this....PLEASE GO PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE MESS!!!

happytrails
happytrails 08/07/13 - 09:40 am
Again!

Don't worry everyone....I am sure that Mr.Ramos will be returning to Wildwood as soon as he re-offends again in the community. We just wonder how many times he has to committ crimes and cost the tax payers more money! Hopefully his partner doesn't get a lesser sentence.