Fish and Game to kill 15A wolves

Posted: August 6, 2013 - 8:39pm  |  Updated: August 7, 2013 - 1:51pm

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game will gun wolves from helicopters in game management unit 15A on the Kenai Peninsula, department officials said. Unit 15A covers the Sterling Highway north to the Peninsula’s edge.

Fish and Game will implement the intensive management actions between November and March. The department has no firm date yet, said Jason Herreman, Fish and Game assistant area biologist for the Peninsula.

The actions also includes increasing department wolf-trapping efforts, Herreman said. Fish and Game will hire a part-time employee to focus trapping efforts, he said.

“The important part to get out here is that predator control is not going to increase moose populations in (unit) 15A,” Herreman said.

Unit 15A supplies moose with little sources of food in the winter, he said. The birch stands are too mature, and their shoots, the staple to a moose’s diet, are out of their reach, he said.

Unit 15A’s habitat cannot feed any more moose, he said.

With less wolves, Fish and Game will need to liberalize the moose hunt in unit 15A to match moose to their available browse, he said. Otherwise, the moose would starve, he said.

Last winter Fish and Game counted 69 moose deaths along roadways in unit 15A, he said. Many died malnourished. Unit 15B lost 36 moose, and unit 15C lost 28 moose, he said.

Fish and Game is limited to 83-square-miles of state land in unit 15A, said Doug Vincent-Lang, Fish and Game division director. The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge manages a majority of unit 15A land.

Aerial wolf control is also extremely expensive, Herreman said.

“This is not necessarily the most efficient use of our resources,” Herreman said.

A study midway through the trapping season in February estimated 45 to 50 wolves in unit 15A, Herreman said. Fish and Game’s minimum allowable wolf population is 15 wolves, Vincent-Lang said.

The last moose census in unit 15A, conducted in spring 2008, counted 1,825 to 2,352 moose.

Dan Schwartz can be reached at daniel.schwartz@peninsulaclarion.com.

FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT
FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT 08/07/13 - 05:54 am
FISH AND GAME TO KILL 154 WOLVES

This is WRONG. I live in the lower 48 and watch TV shows on Alaska and lived at Ft. Greeley in the 60's. I have always admired the Fish and Game for how they make hunters observe all laws on hunting, fishing, etc. Now you want to just go out and kill 154 wolves??????? WHAT IS THE NECESSITY FOR THIS? WHY IS EVERYONE WANTING TO KILL AND SLAUGHTER WOLVES FOR NO REASON. THEY HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS ANY WILDLIFE TO ROAM AND BE FREE FROM UN-NECESSARY KILLINGS. THESE ANIMALS CAUSE NO THREAT NO MORE THAN ANY OTHER WILDLIFE. THEY ALL HAVE TO HUNT AND KILL IN ORDER TO EAT AND SURVIVE. IF THIS HAPPENS, I WILL NO LONGER BE SUPPORTIVE OF ANY OF ALASKA'S FISH AND GAME. PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN. We are having to fight for them here in the lower 48 from extinction at this very moment. Why must they be singled out???? What gives you the right to do this slaughter in the first place? They have been around longer than any of us and always roamed as any other wild life does. We as humans are the ones that are invading their territories and now they are facing extinction all over the world. I, myself carry the Wolf Spirit within me and will fight to the end for these Wolves. You should be ashamed of even thinking of doing this. They should be able to roam freely as they have always done. Put yourself in their positions and THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Suss
Suss 08/07/13 - 08:51 am
15A not 154

FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT I respect your position but not your numbers. The irony is that these wolves were removed from the 40 mile caribou herd area because killing them was not publicly popular then, so these parent wolves were brought to the peninsula by ADFG less than 20 years ago. Now we have too many wolves? Why are these make work projects so very costly and poorly thought out?

Kevin Hall
Kevin Hall 08/07/13 - 09:39 am
"Management"

Once again, in the interest of "managing" our resources, the powers that be, have only manged to screw the whole eco system up. Now, after the fact, they will try to go back and fix THEIR mess instead of letting the people harvest a managable number of these resources themselves. I guess we are too stupid (sarcasm intended) to figure out that people use moose and caribou for food not wolves and when the balance becomes out of wack between resources we need and ones that threatens them, something has to be done. One of the reasons there are so many wolves, and , by the way bears, on the Kenai Peninsula these days is because we have these idiots "managing" them. They have made it almost impossible to harvest them and people have just given up. That is what leads to over population of these critters. It's pretty simple really.

bearhunter60
bearhunter60 08/07/13 - 10:46 am
I Agree

Kevin, I agree with your comments on the subject!! Some wildlife troopers are trying to make it more difficult to harvest bear. I do not understand their logic. If it will make no difference in moose population, then why do it?? This last year, after many years of baiting in the same place, a wildlife trooper decided I was too close to a house that has been there for years. I was forced to move it, even though the home owner told him he had absolutely no problem w/ it being there, and actually wanted me to continue, due to the quantity of bear showing up @ his house!! Other troopers had visited my bait sight numerous times and had no problem w/ my sight. Seem's as though they do not want us hunting them. Regulation's damn near require a Philladelphia lawyer to decipher.

kinman
kinman 08/08/13 - 04:12 pm
Unbelievable Ineptness

When it comes to incompetence Jason Herreman gets the gold star. He can’t even get ADF&Gs moose census numbers correct. The correct number is 1300 moose in 15A, a drop of 500 from the 2008 census. What Herreman doesn’t understand is biology 101. While habitat is a contributing factor, the moose population is deteriorated to a point where predators are now driving the decline, ADF&G’s own data supports this fact. Twinning rates among calve moose are higher 15A than in 15C where habitat is good. Maybe Mr. Herreman needs to get out of office and evaluate the habitat in 15A, he will find that many parts of the game unit have browse that has been untouched because there are no moose in the area.
It’s obvious Herreman was checked out for this portion of the board meeting, his own boss states;
“The bottom line: we need to arrest the declining (moose population) in this area,” said Doug Vincent-Lang, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Division Director. At Alaska Board of Game meeting in Kenai, Vincent-Lang said Fish and Game is ready to consider intensive management strategies in the limited non-federally-managed portions of unit 15A. Following a recent wolf census in the two intensive management units, 15A and 15C, he said the department now has the data to support targeted wolf killing.

It’s absolutely amazing, the public who attended the Board of Game meeting last March gets it, but the guy who is being paid by public money doesn’t.

bigtalkahh
bigtalkahh 08/07/13 - 11:50 am
Birch Stands

I live in Sterling and can't find a decent firewood cutting area. I would love to be able to get out into some of those mature birch forests and help with the lack of browse problem. I'd take my camera along in case I could get a good shot at one of the hundreds of wolves out there... although I have not seen many in all the time I have spent in that area over the years.

juliamichell
juliamichell 08/07/13 - 01:14 pm
re wildlife populations

It is obvious...populations are dependent on available food and habitat, they are also subject to peaks and troughs. Wildlife populations do not need controlling, they find a perfect level all by themselves. The more moose wolves kill the more moose will breed and re-populate themselves, it is just common sense.

bigtalkahh
bigtalkahh 08/07/13 - 05:16 pm
Inviting More Pups

Even more so for wolves. Once a pack is reduced, it is the duty of the alpha male and female to replace the individuals with pups. Wolves do a good job of keeping their numbers to where they should be. It's a moose range... not a moose ranch.

msjinxie
msjinxie 08/07/13 - 08:27 pm
Ridiculous

Really its going to matter that much to slay 15 wolves? I never have agreed with this poor way of managing this. Just like we are managing the salmon, we are the problem. It needs to STOP. Another election is needed so we can put a permanent stop to this unnecessary act. We call ourselves "Humane" yet some of us blow creatures away to pacify someones numbers. Its cruel. Its like elimating something just because its in the way. WE are the ones encroaching farther into their backyards...not the other way around. ADFG yeah you are all about the animals my butt...its all on your terms. Thats why this whole peninsula is in trouble from moose, salmon, halibut and other animals due to the "management". Your failing. Its time to stop the experiment we all know why its being done. Sad to have to share the state with people like that.

FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT
FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT 08/08/13 - 06:36 am
FISH AND GAME TO KILL 15A WOLVES

All the comments made were about Moose and bear. What does that have to do with the wolves??? I guess living in the lower 48 our wolves are being hunted down and slaughtered. Our number of wolves has decreased dramatically. As far as the count I mentioned, I do admit I read it wrong, but it is still WRONG!!!!! Yes, Wolves have to kill in order to eat, but the Moose, Caribou and all other wildlife is being hunted down and kill just the same. You cannot eat Wolf, so why must they hunt and kill them?? It is going to cause a uneven balance in Nature. Like I said I have lived in Alaska back in the 60's, but was too young to understand all this. On the subject of killing Wolves what about the Buffalo which you can eat the meat. I have seen nothing about them, guess they have all been killed and extinct??? You should be proud of all the Wildlife that roams in Alaska freely. Down here in the lower 48 we are having to fight to keep Wolves from becoming extinct. States have even started putting up bill boards regarding this issue. I will say no more, you don't understand our dilemma so keep on hunting and killing and soon there will be none.

robert white
robert white 08/08/13 - 12:16 pm
wolves

These creatures are nothing short of land sharks, they kill for the sport of it while the moose pop suffers. The thinning process is long overdue and I really wish the people from out of state would mind their own business and maybe they wouldn't have time to mind ours!

Kevin Hall
Kevin Hall 08/08/13 - 12:46 pm
Ditto.......robert white....

Exactly.........

Allen
Allen 08/08/13 - 01:12 pm
"By killing predators, Fish

"By killing predators, Fish and Game hopes to boost unit 15A’s declining moose population, Herreman said. But that will not happen, he said."

robert white's comments ("These creatures are nothing short of land sharks, they kill for the sport of it while the moose pop suffers") are nonsense, not based on predator-prey science. In nature, predator-prey populations are generally in balance, if they are not, don't blame the predators. Even the Fish & Game employee admits that killing wolves will not boost moose populations because it is the HABITAT that is the problem, not the predators.

Watch out Jason Herreman. You questioned the irrational ideology of the State of Alaska predator-killers. You might not last long in State government. Thanks for telling it like it is.

Hammerhead85
Hammerhead85 08/08/13 - 01:33 pm
They better call this off

Here's a better idea: Introduce some moose to the area. It would certainly be a better option than the usual "kill, kill, kill" mentality that runs like a pandemic through the ABOG. If they dare go through with this plan, I hope whatever aircraft they use gets hit by lightning, and spirals to the ground making little fart circles, and lands in a sewage treatment pond, then sinks, with the rest of the turds.

Seafarer
Seafarer 08/08/13 - 04:00 pm
First You Bring Them Here...

...and then you kill them. If they are not responsible for the Moose crash, then let them eat the carcasses! The trophy hunters and guides are the ones pushing this. The only way to get a Moose in 15A is to be rich and from the L48. The regs are useless, because their imaginary Moose doesn't exist!

If the ADFG has money to kill, then they have money to improve habitat. What is that Forestry (supposed) Moose Study Area on Swanson River Road for? What science have they ever given us? Nada.

FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT
FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT 08/09/13 - 04:16 am
FISH AND GAME TO KILL 15A WOLVES

I have to say Seafarer and Hammerhead85 you two make more sense than any of the others.. Seems to me you care more about these killings too. Robert White, your comment about other states minding their business......... I am minding my own business which is to save our Wolves Apparently you have not stepped foot out of Alaska and seen what the lower 48 is going through!!!! We all belong as ONE on this planet which WE have destroyed, I watch all the shows about Alaska and even would love to move back up there. I am amazed how you all live there and I saw that there is only 1 area which they call the only "true wilderness" that is left up there. You should be happy someone down here is concerned about what is going on!!!!!!!!!! I know you all need fire wood but stripping the land of all the tress is NOT the answer. We all need to step back and see how and what we are doing in order for us to survive here and up there. There is a thing called "COMMON SENSE" and everyone has lost that because of dependency of others.

robert white
robert white 08/09/13 - 08:57 am
Freedom wolf spirit

Do you even know where unit 15a is?I quit hunting that area because, you guessed it, the moose population has crashed.Why don't you focus on Northern Dynasty!

Kevin Hall
Kevin Hall 08/10/13 - 06:52 am
Freedom wolf spirit, aka clueless.

Thanx seafarer. Please don't move back, Freedom wolf spirit, aka clueless. Better yet, come on back and you'll last about 6 months tops because you can't be that stupid and survive here, unless you work for the government. You will either die in some tragic accident, (sarcasm imtended) or you will go back to whatever rock you crawled out from under because, "waaaahhhhh, it's just to hard." (again, sarcasm intended)

FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT
FREEDOM WOLF SPIRIT 08/10/13 - 08:35 am
FISH AND GAME TO KILL 15A WOLVES

Kevin, you dont know anything about me smart a**. You are a rude IDIOT!!!! I could survive in any situation, my Father was Military and he taught me how to hunt, fish and SURVIVE. So in my opinion YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS CLUELESS. NOW I AM GOING TO BE SARCASTIC AND TELL YOU TO GO STRAIGHT TO HE**!!!!

radiokenai
radiokenai 08/11/13 - 07:03 am
To Freedom Wolf Spirit Hugger
Unpublished

Maybe you should continue to live OUTSIDE of Alaska...and mind your own business?

The last things us ALASKANS want to hear is some tree hugging bunny thumper like yourself trying to tell us how to manage our state!

Think of yourself in the same Category as Diane Feinstein!

Notice U Pilgrim...GO HOME!

HS605
HS605 08/19/13 - 03:24 pm
15A wolves

I understand population control but I am against flying around terrorizing wildlife only to put a bullet (hopefully well placed) into the animal. Clearly you could care less about the animals that not only you are hunting but that inhabit the land below the cowards in the aircraft. More moose are killed by loose dogs and wild dog packs than these wolves, oh and idiot drivers who think they are invincible and have no respect for mother nature. The borough won't give us animal control for the outside city limits so we have wild dog packs and loose dogs that harass moose and kill off starving young but according to the idiot whose name is immemorable wolves are just sharks. They are scavangers first and hunters to survive, not to keep it convienient to themselves. Here's the deal, I'll pack my 45 and every time I see a loose dog running around I'll put it down and help out our moose population. I have watched pets cornering moose off the road and it's a disservice to both animals. Everyone on here is more concerned about the moose than anything else. I bet there are more moose killed in a day by cars, dogs, poaching and starvation than a single pack of wolves in a day. Who is really hurting the population? I'm not anti-population control. I've been a hunter since I was a kid and saw what over population can do to both predator and prey when there is a problem with over population. But this is a blame game, I knew as soon as someone cried wolf the village would get out their pitchforks and torches. Predictable.