Current weather

  • Overcast
  • 25°
    Overcast
  • Comment

Six KPBSD schools start year with new roofs

Phase one of roof projects complete, phase two to be voted on in October

Posted: August 22, 2013 - 7:11pm  |  Updated: August 22, 2013 - 7:16pm

As a result of a bond package approved by voters in 2010, six Kenai Peninsula Borough School District phase one roofing projects were completed during the summer.

Ninilchik School, Chapman Elementary School, Moose Pass School, Soldotna Elementary School, Kaleidoscope School of Arts and Sciences and Cooper Landing School all received new roofs to begin the 2013-2014 school year.

A 2010 KPB memorandum stated a number of school roofs, some of which are more than 40 years old, were noted as being near the end of their useful lives and in need of replacement.

In 2010 Kenai Peninsula Borough voters approved a bond package of $16,866,500 to pay for school roof replacement. The projects are eligible for 70 percent reimbursement from the state, leaving the borough responsible for only 30 percent of the cost, approximately $5.1 million plus interest.

According to KPBSD Superintendent Steve Atwater, the unseen changes are a major improvement in the schools.

“The district is pleased with how well the roofing projects have gone over the past three summers,” he said. “The good news for all the borough residents is that more school roof replacements than originally planned were completed with the bonded money. Although roof replacements is not something that is noticed by our community, this important building maintenance activity is critical for our schools. I offer thanks to all our residents for supporting the bond that made this possible.”

During the past three years a total of 11 projects, including school roofs, and one district warehouse, have been replaced under phase one of the project.

At a July KPBSD board meeting, the school board voted to approve phase two of the capital improvement project bond.

If approved by voters in October, roof replacements funded as part of phase two would include Tustumena Elementary School, Skyview High School, Soldotna Middle School, Homer Junior High School, Paul Banks Elementary School, Kenai Central High School, Soldotna High School, Kenai Middle School and Kenai Alternative School. The Homer High School turf project also would be included.

Sara J. Hardan can be reached at sara.hardan@peninsulaclarion.com.

  • Comment

Comments (1) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
spwright
1376
Points
spwright 08/24/13 - 01:47 pm
0
0
"Rain Drops Keep Falling"

8/25/13 Rain Drops Keep Fallin' on My Head
As any School Custodain about leaking School Roofs & the attempts to catch all of that Rain.
Every time that it would Rain at SoHi we would gather the big yellow trash cans & attempt to catch all of the Roof Leaks.
1/2 way thru the shift those trash cans full of Rain water would need to be emptied & return to the Commons area.That was with 8 Full Time Custodains On Staff. That was 1987 & the School was only 7 yrs old. SPW

Back to Top

Spotted

Please Note: You may have disabled JavaScript and/or CSS. Although this news content will be accessible, certain functionality is unavailable.

Skip to News

« back

next »

  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321268/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321253/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321248/
  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321243/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321208/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/320593/
  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321173/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321163/
My Gallery

CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS