HEA lineman injured in accident

A Homer Electric Association lineman was medevaced to Seattle on Wednesday night following an electrical accident. Jacob Adams, 33, of Anchor Point, is being treated at Harborview Burn Center, Seattle.

“Our prayers and thoughts are with the lineman and his family,” HEA spokesperson Joe Gallagher said. “We’re working very closely with Jacob’s family to make sure they have everything they need to get through the immediate circumstances.”

Adams received an electrical shock when he and two other linemen were performing maintenance work on electrical equipment on Timmerman Court, a side street off Kay Court at the west end of Diamond Ridge Road.

At about 4:35 p.m. Wednesday, a coworker made a Mayday call on a radio in an HEA vehicle to the HEA dispatcher in Kenai, Gallagher said. The dispatcher called 911. The two linemen provided immediate emergency medical care to Adams. The HEA dispatcher lost radio contact with the lineman because he had stepped away from the truck, but called on a cell phone to get further information for emergency responders. Alaska State Troopers and Kachemak Emergency Services arrived at the scene shortly thereafter.

In a release, troopers said Adams was conscious and alert but had significant injury when they arrived. KES medics took Adams to South Peninsula Hospital, where he was stabilized. He was flown by a LifeMed fixed wing airplane from the Homer Airport directly to Seattle.

Gallagher said he did not know the nature of Adams’ injuries.

“He’s being monitored this morning by expert medical staff at Harborview,” Gallagher said on Thursday.

HEA lineman followed emergency procedures in responding to Adams’ injury, Gallagher said. That would include making sure it was safe to treat Adams.

“They are highly trained professional linemen. They would follow the procedures they have gone through in years of training,” he said.

HEA has started an investigation into the incident and will cooperate with other agencies in their investigations, Gallagher said.

“Safety is the number-one priority within the company,” Gallagher said.

“We work very hard to instill a culture of safety. That’s always been our number-one goal and will continue to be out number-one goal. This is a very serious and tragic incident at this point.”

Michael Armstrong can be reached at michael.armstrong@homernews.com.


Sun, 03/26/2017 - 20:53

Car chase in Wasilla ends in fatal shooting

A man has died after being shot by an Alaska State Trooper after a failed traffic stop in Wasilla.

Early Sunday morning, a trooper tried... Read more

Sun, 03/26/2017 - 20:44

Graphite mining company considering plant on peninsula

Kenai, Homer and Seward are up for consideration as sites for a new graphite processing plant.

Read more
Sun, 03/26/2017 - 14:15

Hilcorp to reduce flow in leaking gasline, halting production on two platforms

Hilcorp announced plans on Saturday to halve the pressure in its leaking Cook Inlet natural gas pipeline, requiring the halt of oil production from two... Read more

Bethel restaurant drops bid to open city’s last liquor store

BETHEL — A Bethel restaurant has dropped its application to open a package liquor store.

Read more

Around the Web