Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 21°
    Scattered clouds
  • Comment

Soldotna apartment fire extinguished

Firefighters put out kitchen fire in minutes; nobody injured

Posted: April 1, 2014 - 5:25pm

Central Emergency Services extinguished a kitchen fire within minutes after the call came from a Soldotna apartment complex Monday evening.

CES responded to a 911 call from a female resident who reported the fire in her unit at Redoubt View Apartments on West Redoubt Street shortly after 7 p.m.

Firefighters evacuated the building and put out the fire in six minutes before it had a chance to spread from the bottom floor apartment through the three-story complex, said Brad Nelson, CES health and safety officer.

An investigation determined the fire started by a resident who was cooking at the stove when grease caught fire and spread to the cabinets, up the hood fan system and ceiling, he said. The occupant’s smoke alarm did not work, but the woman quickly called 911 and informed other resident to evacuate, he said.

Nelson said if firefighters arrived only a couple minutes later, the blaze would have been a completely different story.

“We would have been chasing the fire for hours if it spread into the walls,” he said. “It could have been catastrophic.”

After putting out the fire, crews removed sheetrock from the walls and used a thermal imaging camera to make sure the fire didn’t spread any further, he said.

CES remained on scene for an hour to ventilate the building and making sure it was safe for people to return.

No one was injured and damage to the building is estimated at $5,000, he said.

As a safety precaution Nelson said people should check their smoke detectors and test them once a month and change out the batteries at least once a year.

“We usually put the message out there to check smoke alarms and this is another good example why having a working one is vital,” he said. 

Reach Dan Balmer at daniel.balmer@peninsulaclarion.com

  • Comment

Comments (1) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Suss
4170
Points
Suss 04/01/14 - 05:48 pm
1
0
Good Save

The quick call and very good response time saved the day and lives. The cranky Homer Senior that wanted to bill the person for calling the fire department should think about what a delay in response would mean to this type of scenario. The idea that someone might hesitate calling for help because they feared the bill for making the call for help. Thankfully this is not a factor unless billing for fire calls were to come to be like Senior from Homer was requesting so his taxes could be lowered.

Back to Top

Spotted

Please Note: You may have disabled JavaScript and/or CSS. Although this news content will be accessible, certain functionality is unavailable.

Skip to News

« back

next »

  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321268/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321253/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321248/
  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321243/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321208/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/320593/
  • title http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321173/ http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/galleries/321163/
My Gallery

CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS