• Overcast
    Overcast

Bearup enters brorough mayor race

- Staff report

Posted: June 5, 2014 - 6:35pm

Tom Bearup, a former Soldotna mayor, announced he is running for Kenai Peninsula Borough Mayor.

Standing in front of a banner with the slogan “The People’s Mayor,” Bearup addressed a group of community members that attended the 2 p.m. Thursday press conference he held at Froso’s restaurant in Soldotna.

“It’s not about me … it’s about the people,” he said.

Bearup said he will use veto power to control the spending of taxpayer money and that shrinking the national deficit needs to start locally.

He said he wants to support local businesses and encourage manufactures to come to the Kenai Peninsula to create jobs.

“If we can stabilize (the economy) by diversifying, then we have an opportunity to really do something more for our people,” he said.

Bearup is a pastor and a Vietnam veteran. He has worked in law enforcement locally and in the Lower 48.

He has been married to Adele Bearup for 38 years, has nine children and 33 grandchildren.

jford
jford 06/06/14 - 07:29 am
Bearup has left Arizona behind

Out of state people move here and think they should run the show.

Some local reporters should investigate Bearup's past in Arizona and inform the voters about what's in his past.

To say he worked in law enforcement in the lower 48 is not telling the whole story of his past. His outside law enforcement work was not something anyone should admire.

The Clarion ought to do a better job informing it's readers and vetting candidates for our elected public offices. We don't need the mistakes of the lower 48 being revisited here.

tombearup
tombearup 06/06/14 - 11:51 am
Correction

I wanted to correct some information in the article.

I served Honorably from 1964-1967 during the Vietnam Era. I did not serve in Vietnam but was sent to South Korea. I also had a Top Secret Security clearence

Suss
Suss 06/06/14 - 03:10 pm
Say what you mean

Jford states
"To say he worked in law enforcement in the lower 48 is not telling the whole story of his past. His outside law enforcement work was not something anyone should admire".

If you want to say something about the man, then spit it out.

Innuendo is pussyfooting around and smacks of cowardice.

Posting a sniff of a hint of a whiff of an issue says you might have your nose way up and out of joint.

Crazy Joe Arpaio has lots of operatives for you to network with, or for.

Suss
Suss 06/06/14 - 03:52 pm
Bearup In AK and AZ

Bankruptcy court has a chronology of how the Bearups ended up bankrupt.

The decision and findings are located here.

The last political office Q & A from Arizona...

Norseman 06/06/14 - 08:31 pm
Thanks for the links on this

Thanks for the links on this guy. After reading the links, I am of the opinion that they have used their religion as a way to make a living and don't like to pay off debts.

This guy will not get my vote. I agree with the statement that most of us Alaskans are tired of the out of staters moving here and then wanting to run the show.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 06/07/14 - 09:11 am
Suss

To say that Joe Arapio is crazy is the ultimate insult to the people of this country! He should be the Commissioner of Correction's and and you would actually see those put in jail straightening out their lives and doing what is right and acting normal. He is also the only one in law enforcement with the courage to go after Obumer and make him prove his qualifications to even hold that office!

tombearup
tombearup 06/06/14 - 09:19 pm
Tom Bearup for Borough Mayor

Some people are saying that I never worked with the Reagan's or the Bush's but guess who is here with them in the photos?

They are also saying that I never worked with the Sheriff's Office but I just happen to have a photo with Sheriff Joe Arpaio swearing me in.

These unnamed people read something on the internet from someone that was attempting to discredit me. Naturally, you can believe everything that is posted on the internet.

I hope that these same people will come out in the open so that they can ask me directly instead of being the cowards that they are and hide behind a false name.

I am willing to face them or anyone else about my background as I have had a Top Secret security clearance, as well as many background checks along with polygraphs.

I wonder about them or are they just afraid of the possibility that I may win.

I have only been in this race for 1 1/2 days and look what has happened.

My campaign is looking forward to a successful race but I choose to not run a negative race as I told Mayor Navare when I sat before him to tell him that I was considering running for the Borough Mayor's position.

It seems funny that at Christmas time one of the Mayor's brothers was asking my son about my background and if I had ever been the sheriff.

I will tell you all now that I was never the Sheriff but was the Chief Executive Officer of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in the Phoenix area, right next to Sheriff Arpaio.

Thanks to all of my friends for all of their help and belief in me.

I am so blessed and honored to have the opportunity of possibly being your next Borough Mayor.

Thanks so much for your support and prayers

Tom

jford
jford 06/07/14 - 03:38 am
Arpaio is a thug.

Arpaio has been accused of abuse of power, misuse of funds, failure to investigate sex crimes, improper clearance of cases, unlawful enforcement of immigration laws, and election law violations, amongst others.

He has been found guilty of racial profiling in federal court. His jails have twice been ruled unconstitutional.

The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racist profiling in U.S. history, and subsequently filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct.

And who was Arpaio's right hand man?

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 06/07/14 - 05:01 am
Who is a thug?

Any time you do things which might upset the holy rollers you can expect them to come after you with many supposed violations. I imagine you wouldn't even admit that Arizona has a problem with illegal immigrants. Election law violations I think he won reelection with about 90% of the votes and not even sure it he had an opponent in subsequent elections. Please tell me what is wrong with putting the prisoners in a fenced in tent in the desert with no TV and feeding them expired cold meat sandwiches?

tombearup
tombearup 06/07/14 - 10:58 am
Tom Bearup for Borough Mayor

Since I am sure that those that are pointing the finger at me has never had difficult times in your lives, I just want to say that because of health issues we filed on the advice of our attorney, not out of mismanagement of our funds. We had to close our business because my wife had to take care of me 24-7. On another note, I am not new in Alaska as I was the Mayor of Soldotna in the late 70's and early 80's in addition to being a Soldotna Police Officer. My wife's family has been here for over 50 years and I personally have lived in Alaska for around 15 years. I would venture to say that most people were not born here. How about you that are pointing the finger at me? I suggest that people go to my Facebook page, Tom Bearup for Borough Mayor to get really informed about who I am. I would also suggest that people see the new movie that is coming out soon titled the "Joe Show." It will give you information if you want to know the truth about Sheriff Joe and I. On the other hand my phone number is listed and you can call and talk with me but you should give up hiding behind a name on the internet. Have a great day as we continue to go forward in our campaign to be the next Mayor of the Kenai Peninsula Borough.

jford
jford 06/07/14 - 10:59 am
Suss
Suss 06/07/14 - 04:49 pm
Peeked at the Bearup Facebook

Been to the Bearup Facebook site. It got me thinking about your quote;

"I would challenge those that are throwin stones to be careful because what you soo your reap."

What does that mean, if you oppose Bearup for mayor that he will have God smite you down?

What is the reason for being stricken down to near death three times in the last four years? Did someone toss a stone or two?

Kind of confused how one moves to Alaska to evade an evil sheriff, to only move back to Arizona to run for sheriff in the next county.

This residency switcheroo is also confusing. When does Alaska start, stops, Arizona starts, stops and Alaska begins again?
A short timeline might be helpful.

Anyone can have hard times, bankruptcy happens to good people. How straightforward and forthright during the proceedings is what the true measure of a man of integrity will show to the world.

This election cycle was kind of boring until now.

I wish all contenders a spirited time bringing out their best ideas and plans for the future.

Asking questions is not an attack. Pointing out past areas of concern are not attacks.

Relax, hardly anyone votes on Kenai Peninsula anyways.

There will be plenty of time for debates, public appearances and of course fund raisers.

jford
jford 06/07/14 - 05:29 pm
Facebook quote

Is this verbatim? Can the quote really be as posted here?

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 06/08/14 - 11:23 am
Tom Bearup

Tom Bearup accuses Arpaio of always seeking publicity but if you go to the link posted above you will see that he is actually guilty of that most likely more so than Sheriff Joe! His life is filled with embarrassing moments like filing for bankruptcy, having a skinhead son in prison for murder and also on death row. Now he is supposedly starting up a church in his garage which I suspect is nothing but a ploy to get tax exempt status so he can live for free.

We have all heard of the Catholic priests wrestling with young boys could he be looking to do the same only with young, hurting impressionable girls? This man would be as big a mistake as was the election of Obummer. I trust the citizens of the Borough will see right through him!

jlmh
jlmh 06/08/14 - 01:39 pm
Regardless of the

Regardless of the circumstances, the bankruptcy chronology doesn't show good money management (even before illness). The age difference between him and his wife is also alarming. Was she 16 or 17 when she married someone 12 years her senior? I'm glad our society doesn't tolerate that any more.

Norseman 06/08/14 - 04:19 pm
With this much baggage from

With this much baggage from the past, he must be just running on ego.

shyeene
shyeene 06/08/14 - 11:07 pm
Really?

It saddens me to see my fellow citizens making assumptions based on partial and, in some cases, false information. So far we have called in to question his job qualifications, his ability to be financially responsible, his motives, and someone has even insinuated that he is a pedophile. What happened to honesty and integrity? I'm not questioning Tom's integrity. I know the man. I am questioning those that have felt the right to drag him through the mud when you obviously don't know him. If you have questions about his time in Arizona, the bankruptcy, his residency or how his relationship began with the wonderful woman he has been married to now for 38 years, then maybe you should just sit down with him and ask him directly. I am sure he would be glad to share the truth with you.

Suss
Suss 06/09/14 - 08:29 am
Suss
Suss 06/09/14 - 03:32 pm
Chairborne Ranger Keyboard Commando

Shyeene,

There are many varied reasons for social media and blog postings.

Some postings promote themselves, other postings question everything.

Everyone has an agenda, nothing is innocent or pure.

Assuming a question is an assumption, is that now then an assumption?

Questions seem to bring forth more questions. There is ample time for answers.

I really liked the Arizona clothesline response. That could be redone for the Alaskan folks.

jlmh
jlmh 06/09/14 - 05:36 pm
Legitimate concerns

Yes, airing the dirty laundry is a good idea. But it’s not a free pass. People still have the right to consider whether those things sum up a good leader or not. And mentioning the son on death row is not a low blow, as Mr. Bearup was quoted to say. Murder is not exactly common. It’s not some rebellious stage all our kids go through, that we all understand. I have trouble accepting that the two most influential people in a person’s life (their parents) had no control over his moral development. Their son brutally beat a man to death over money, discarded his body like trash, and left the victim’s loved ones without closure as his body rotted for a year before being accidentally discovered. For a man with a life in law enforcement, it’s kind of ironic that a basic respect for human life and obeying the law was not instilled in his children.

This is not mud-slinging. A person opens themselves up to scrutiny when they run for political office. Meeting the candidate only gives us a chance to discern how well-spoken or charming he is. Actions tell us what we can expect from him in office. Even if he is qualified, so are a lot of other people. Does our borough really need the embarrassment of a mayor with a son on death row?

sterlingres
sterlingres 06/09/14 - 08:24 pm
About Tom Bearup

Meet this man in the late 70's, and was shown mercy and i believe forgiveness that was not due me. I don't know why he did, But it made a change in my life and made me take a look at myself and where i was heading. He could have crushed me that day, and it would have had a very negative impact on my future, but for some reason i'll probably never know decided to take a chance on me! Tom , I don't care what people who don't know you say. I know from personal experience what a change was fulfilled in my life because of you're decision on that day. I believe you're a man of integrity and want to say thank you.

jford
jford 06/10/14 - 01:50 am
Anyone can run for office.

Running for public office doesn't mean someone is fit for public office.

The baggage this candidate brings with him should eliminate his chance to be considered fit for public office.

I'm looking forward to the Clarion doing some investigative reporting and informing it's readers of the past dealings of candidates for public office. That's what a newspaper is supposed to do. It's time for the Clarion to step up and become an actual newspaper.

Norseman 06/10/14 - 05:37 am
When he loses this election,

When he loses this election, he will probably immediately begin campaigning back in Arizona.

Suss
Suss 06/10/14 - 05:58 am
Bearup and Arizona

Getting out in front of any questions and criticism was a tactic that used his underwear blowing on a clothesline.

I think we should see a similar promotion here.

The question of residency duration, voter registration and how many times you would have to switch voter cards to not be running dual voter registrations, confuses the following of Bearup's travel.

jford
jford 06/13/14 - 11:10 pm
hutchca
hutchca 06/17/14 - 11:41 am
Tom Bearup for Assembly Mayor

Tom has expressly said that there will be no "mud slinging" on his part, even though I, for one, could offer some useful mud of which that I am aware.

The comments above only reflect how narrow and poorly read the writers are. There are people in prison and on death row that are innocent. But then again, I doubt any of these people have read or heard of these instances.

Also, many of these comments reflect only the writers willingness to focus of negative things of another person's life. That is right, things happen in everyone's life as I am sure it has in the lives of each of the above writers. But those incidents do not make you are, a smoker, a one time drug user, a poor manager of money, a woman abuser, or an alcoholic.

A person's true identity is based on his core values and to whom or what he turns for his true strength and support. Those things are the values with which a man's life should be viewed. It is based on those values and that strength that Tom Bearup believes he has something of value to bring to this community.

It takes a strong person to step forward to take on the challenges of this borough knowing that things have happened in the past that will be focus of myopic, and narrow minded individuals.

The important thing is someone is interested in
- reducing the level of government on our necks,
- reducing the cost to each of us to live here,
- bringing government back to the people;
- working in whatever way possible to enable good jobs are available for us to live and raise families in this great place to live.

For all the above reasons that are not available to us with the current KPB governance, I plan to work toward Tom's election and to vote for Tom Bearup; and hope all the conservative minded, private property enthusiasts will so the same.

Suss
Suss 06/18/14 - 05:03 am
Or, Tom Bearup for Arizona _______ office

Not too sure if it matters to Tom Bearup where or what he is going to run for, just that he wants a government job that he can bring his flock along with him.

Voter cards please, all of them, AZ and AK! Next fishing license history and PFD residency history.

Being a resident and registered voter is a general requirement to run for political office.

This is important to show intent.

jford
jford 06/17/14 - 03:45 pm
hutchca,

The comments above reflect how many times Tom Bearup has been on the wrong side of both the law and ethics.

Financial misconduct while a federal employee is not just a case of 'things happening'. It's criminal conduct and criminal conduct doesn't just happen, it's a case of an intentional act resulting in criminal behavior.

That's not equitable to 'a smoker, a one time drug user, a poor manager of money, a woman abuser, or an alcoholic', no, it's being a criminal.

When you try to avoid and evade campaign election laws, that again is a case of intentional behavior that results in criminal conduct.

There's more, but you get the point, and you can't misdirect and attempt to smooth over the facts.

Don't dare confuse core values and strength with criminal conduct. What? Are you a Republican?

You don't have any government on your neck.

No one I know is in any hurry to elect another crook, another grifter, another who thinks God appointed them to lead. We are voting to be rid of people like that. We've seen what their 'values' do for the citizen.

You can vote for him, you just can't wave any magic wands and make the reality turn into something else.

Tom Bearup has too many documented negatives to be a viable public servant.

A chronological look back into his past shows how many times he repeatedly claimed to be one thing only to prove otherwise.

No, not here, not at any time.

Still waiting for the Clarion to vet the candidates for public office.

I'll do all I can to insure the public is informed of the reality of Tom Bearup and not have to listen to the fictions invented in an attempt to gloss over and hide the facts.

You want to do something, hutchcha ? You can start by outlining each instance of financial misdeeds committed by Bearup while employed by the federal government. Maybe explain in detail to those enthusiasts you mention, what it was that got him relieved of his job.

Do try to do that without inventing a tall tale. We will know the difference.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 06/18/14 - 04:37 am
Finally

A post from JFord that makes complete sense! Proud of you sir! Also does anyone know what has happened to SPW. The old soldier used to be very active on these boards and find it hard to believe he would just stop posting especially with all of the problems with VA health care recently.