Heat lamp starts fire in chicken coop

A structure used as a chicken coop caught fire in Sterling Tuesday night after a heating lamp was knocked over, according to a Central Emergency Services media release.

 

Firefighters from Station 3 arrived 10 minutes after the call came in at about 9:50 p.m. to Andrus Lane off Mile 79 of the Sterling Highway. The fire was put out in 10 minutes, according to the release. Nobody was injured in the fire, but several chickens inside did not survive, said CES Health and Safety Officer Brad Nelson.

The cabin, originally built as a residence, was valued at $10,000 with an estimated $1,000 worth of damage, Nelson said.

Nelson said the heating lamp most likely caused the fire after it was knocked over and ignited wood shavings and other combustible materials.

“The owner of the building called 911 quick and we were able to save the structure,” Nelson said. “It was cooking in there and smoke was showing from the rear, but crews were able to put it out quick.”

Nelson said ironically calls of fires to chicken coops are not uncommon to CES.

“We respond to probably one or two a year,” he said.

— Dan Balmer

More

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 14:07

Truck spills garbage on Soldotna street

Drivers in downtown Soldotna should keep an eye out for efforts to clean up spilled garbage in the street Friday.

Read more
Fri, 09/22/2017 - 16:42

Once Tesoro, now Andeavor

The refinery in Nikiski that turns Cook Inlet’s oil output into gasoline, jet fuel, diesel and propane won’t be immediately affected by the expansion and... Read more

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 21:02

Property crime increased in 2016

Statewide, certain types of crime are up, and the Kenai Peninsula’s cities mostly track with that trend.

Read more