Owner gives details about Nikiski house fire

Valerie Campbell, 58, was doing homework at her Aleutian Court home in Nikiski when her generator backfired Wednesday night and set the house on fire.

By the time Nikiski Fire Department responders arrived, at about 6 p.m., the house was fully engulfed in flames and Campbell was outside.

She lost everything. 

“It’s done,” she said about her home. “There’s nothing that can be done.”

Her schoolwork for her online University of Alaska Anchorage courses, her furniture, her house wares, her laptop, all her clothes except what she was wearing, and two of her best friends — her dogs — were lost to the fire. She had to put her third dog, Shiloh, up for adoption.

While Nikiski Fire Department public information officer Bud Sexton said crews were about to extinguish the fire quickly, it was a total loss; all that remained Wednesday night was a skeletal, charred frame.

Campbell moved into the house earlier this year and said she was supposed to get hooked up with electricity and get the house insured in August.

For the next few days, Campbell has a friend to stay with, but she said has to find somewhere else to stay by Monday.

The American Red Cross provided some monetary assistance and a stranger took Campbell to Wal-Mart to buy some clothes. Others who wish to help Campbell can give a donation in her name at Alaska USA Federal Credit Union.

More

Tue, 03/21/2017 - 22:47

Chess club meets in Kenai Library

Wed, 03/22/2017 - 09:53

KPBSD faces budget deficits, dropping enrollment

The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District Board of Education sought to explain why district costs continue to rise, even though student enrollment has dropped, to... Read more

Without both commercial and sport funding, UAF declines research donation

The University of Alaska Fairbanks turned down an offer for funding for research on Kenai River king salmon because it would only come from one... Read more

Around the Web