Candle in window starts apartment fire

- Staff report

A residential fire in a Soldotna apartment building that started from a candle was put out by firefighters before the it could spread Sunday.

Central Emergency Services responded to a structure fire reported in a two-story apartment building on Liberty Lane off Kalifornsky Beach Road at about 6:11 p.m.

The fire started when a candle near an open window was blown over by the wind and a curtain caught fire in an upstairs bedroom, said CES Health and Safety Officer Brad Nelson.

The owner of the apartment used a fire extinguisher to contain the fire while another occupant dialed 911. CES crews from the K-beach and Soldotna stations arrived and put out the fire within five minutes. No injuries were reported as residents were able to evacuate the building, Nelson said.

With fire damage to walls and carpet in the upstairs room, damage is estimated to be about $1,000, Nelson said.

More

Thu, 02/23/2017 - 22:52

Alaska holiday weighed for black soldiers who built highway

JUNEAU (AP) — Alaska state lawmakers are considering the creation of a holiday to honor the contributions of more than 4,000 black soldiers who endured harsh... Read more

Fish and Game presents rationale on big fish king goal

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game wants to transition the Kenai River early and late king salmon run escapement goals to count big fish... Read more

Man charged with manslaughter in overdose death of former roommate

A man has been charged with manslaughter after allegedly giving some of his opioid prescription to a former roommate, who overdosed on it. Read more