Kasilof electrical fire caused by overloaded extension cord

An electrical fire on Sunday evening caused approximately $10,000 worth of damage to a single-family wood-frame home in Kasilof, according to Central Emergency Services Captain Terry Bookey.

Bookey said a call came to CES just before 6:30 p.m of a structure fire at the corner of Linda Lane and Running Water Avenue in Kasilof.

The first response arrived from the Kasilof’s CES Station 6 about nine minutes after the call, Bookey said, and reported “smoke showing throughout the structure and a fire on the outside back-end quarter.”

“It was single-family residence, kind of a small cabin,” Bookey said.

Before the fire was extinguished at 7:35 p.m, Bookey said a total of 13 responders had been at the scene with two engines, two tankers, and two medic units.

CES’s investigation concluded the cause was an extension cord that had been connected to a light fixture.

“It overloaded the extension cord, and heated and ignited the nearby combustable materials,” Bookey said.

There were no people in the house during the fire, Bookey said, though CES did rescue a dog they found inside.

“We were able to extricate it from the building, and provide it some oxygen to revive it,” Bookey said of the dog.

Reach Ben Boettger at ben.boettger@peninsulaclarion.com

More

Tue, 03/28/2017 - 20:46

Kenai Chamber plans silver salmon derby

Move over, Seward — the Kenai River will get its own silver salmon derby this fall.

Read more
Wed, 03/29/2017 - 10:10

North Pacific council to take up Cook Inlet salmon plan

The North Pacific Fishery Management Council will open up a process next week that will likely take years to redesign the Cook Inlet salmon fishery... Read more

Tue, 03/28/2017 - 20:42

Kasilof man pleads not guilty to kidnapping, additional charges

A Kasilof man entered not-guilty pleas to kidnapping, assault and other charges during a Kenai Superior Court arraignment Tuesday.

Read more

Around the Web

 
X