Racetrack noise leaves property owner disgruntled

Posted: June 8, 2011 - 9:13am

This Wednesday the Kenai City Planning & Zoning will decide the fate of the Motor Cross Racing at the Twin Cities Raceway. Will they shoot the city’s recent efforts to become an “All American City” right in the foot? Or give the local residents the relief they seek from the Motor Cross  Nuisance Noise we can all hear from the track? The recent conflict has come to pass due local residents complaints about the legal requirements of disclosure as well as the noise. It is unfair to require a disclosure to any prospective buyer, of the noisy track in the area or face legal damages. Courts nation wide have said that type of demunision of property values and rights is illegal! Yet the political hot potato is still on the plate.

Back in 1972 the EPA did not yet have information concerning the harmful effects of Nuisance Noise on the population at large. The EPA has identified “Nuisance Noise” as a health risk to the general population at large. And motor cross, motor cycle noise as the No. 1 offender for generating noise that has the capacity to affect the quality of daily living. Back in 1972 our City forefathers could not see how 250 or more local residents would face being sued for not disclosing the location of the track in a land or property sale. This requirement places an unforeseen and unfair burden on local residents. The Twin Cities Racing Lions feel they have Grandfather Rights along with the Stock Cars. Well what about our Grandfather Property rights? You see our old grandfather rights are still out there and just as powerful in Court as the TCRL. But the fact that it is illegal to cause harm to anyone’s normal use of their property seems to be getting ignored. The local residents are seeking relief from these kind of burdens that don’t exist in an “All American City.”

BigRedDog
BigRedDog 06/08/11 - 12:47 pm
Racetrack Letters

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Clarion and Larry Campbell for your kind and sage support of our efforts. I do feel this is a litmus of just how an "All American City" should react to this kind of growing pains. I think your efforts of publishing my letters has led to the mufflers on the Stock Cars this year! Thanks! My old buddy than runs a cab co and had to work nights, well that was from him also.

youngone33
youngone33 06/08/11 - 08:54 pm
Good Luck to the track and

Good Luck to the track and all their drivers, riders and fans! A lot of memories have been made for our family out at the track, and my grown kids still talk about all the great times there growing up.

youngone33
youngone33 06/08/11 - 08:55 pm
Re: Racetrack Letters

Seriously??? "BigRedDog" "Dennis Barnard" & "Larry Campbell" ?? You really need to get a life and do something constructive and positive with your time. You spend so much time trying to destroy so many families hobbies and enjoyments. You are a shame to this community. This is a family friendly "All American City". Why try to destroy quality family time? You have made it a mission of yours to keep this going. Why? When this is all over, what will you go after then? You will probably hit the parks, lakes or maybe the carnival that comes to town once a year, or better yet maybe the dog mushers, as their dogs may be too noisey for you. Please give this town and the readers a break already - if you need attention, just say so and we will find hobbies for you that you might enjoy, but please... leave our families enjoyable hobbies alone. Do you realize how many children you are upsetting, and how much money families and businesses have put into the track? Also, the track attracts tourist each year. You are pathetic, and should be be ashamed of yourselves. By the way, would you mind not mowing your yard, snow blowing or starting up your car so much - the noise is really affecting my health! And the cabs running all night, really affects my sleep when they drive up and down my street. I don't know how you lay your head down at night and not feel like a scrooge. That is what you will be remembered as.
Signed, Property Owner, Tax Payer, and Resident of Kenai for many years:)

radiokenai
radiokenai 06/09/11 - 07:37 am
Dennis Barnyard
Unpublished

WOW, here we go again. Lets shut the race track down because you bought land next to a racetrack, and you don't like it. Now, you want to take away one of the last few remaining hobbies where fathers and sons come together and learn auto mechanics, driving, competition and camaraderie.

You know, in honor of your stupid letter, I think that today I will fire up my nosiest vehicle and go shoot off a few boxes of .300 Winchester Mags at the gun range! I will crank my car stereo as loud as it goes, and might even do a tire burn out on the pavement in remembrance of your whining!

You know, if they shut the race track down I suppose your next letter a letter of bewilderment wondering why burglaries and vandalism increased in your area? Gee I wonder, don't those kids have anything else to do but steal and vandalize?

Duh

ItGirl
ItGirl 06/09/11 - 09:28 am
It was disclosed to me.....

When I bought my home in Kenai in 1998 I was standing on the back deck. The realtor said in the summer on weekends you hear the noise from the track. I was being shown a home on the Kenai River and the realtor told me the noise from the river can get pretty crazy in the summer. When I looked at a home near a fire station I anticipated there would be the noise of sirens as the fire trucks left the station. Living in an All American "City" has noise. I chose the weekend race track noise over all others. My son and I have even rode our bikes down there to check out the races on occassion. I hear the races and smile for all the fun I know they are having. My brother's raced as teens and it was a family affair to hit the tracks in Fairbanks to watch them race. It's sad that people spin so much negative in their lives. Sad..sad..

k.winger
k.winger 06/09/11 - 01:19 pm
Racetrack Noise?

Whether it be a sound or a noise is all in the perspective of the listener. It is unfortunate that the Kenai city limits extends so many miles from the actual city of Kenai, that they even have a say about in the first place. The racetrack has been an integral part of the Twin Cities area for many, many years now, and my son also knew the enjoyment of the comraderie of a father figure and himself as a boy helping the pit crew while growing up here. And I know that it was things like that , that molded him into the fine man that he is today. To take that from this and future generations just because people like this letter writer are disgruntled, would surely be a shame. Perhaps he should buy property in Greycliffs instead. But then again, he'd probably bellyache about the ATV and snow machine noise out there. If he is so sensitive to the noise, maybe he should buy a good pair of ear plugs!!!

Allen
Allen 06/09/11 - 06:04 pm
Extreme Comments Don't Serve Cause

The extreme comments and threats above do not serve the cause of the race track. By denying that there is a noise problem or trying to minimize it you posters are showing your lack of knowledge or common sense or concern for your fellow humans. The motocross track causes most of the noise, that track is recent as well as illegal so give up the propaganda about the race track being there first - it wasn't. Even the race track officials admit there is a noise problem with the motocross track that they are trying to address, to their credit.

The question is how to reconcile a growing race track and its noise and pollution with the nearby residents' desire for peace and quiet. There can be a compromise, no need for race track fans (most of whom don't live in Kenai) to be so insulting and disrespectful.

ItGirl
ItGirl 06/10/11 - 03:05 pm
No disrepect...

I don't think I was being disrepectful but only offering a local resident perspective. I have no connection to the racetrack but I do understand that noise is a consequence of racing. Buying property in a community like Kenai is a sure bet that growth will occur. Walmart, Home Depot....I could go on and on. The fact that the race track is experiencing growth is no surprise. I love that I live in a growing and thriving community in spite of the country's economic condition. The Kenai Peninsula stands out as a place where families can succeed where other small communities are failing.

radiokenai
radiokenai 06/11/11 - 07:38 am
Seems like the one disrespecting is Allen?
Unpublished

Gee...I read your paragraph of propaganda and it seems your comment is extreme in itself? Showing lack of knowledge? Denying there is a noise problem?

You must be another bleeding heart liberal that America suffers from? Sort of like the Radical Muslims, looks giving on the outside, but want to destroy on the inside.

Please do not insult and bend our comments to fit your agenda. All the commenters above realize that racetracks are noisy. That is a no brainer. A 2 year old could hear that! People knew that years ago when it was first built and they know it today when they purchase land around the track.The fact that you dont understand this should not ruin a positive activity that gets families together. Individuals such as yourself lack generally lack that concept, so you want to take it away from everybody else. That my friend, is the liberal agenda I speak of. That racetrack has been there long before you!

Have you ever heard of the term Grandfathered? I did not think so.

K Winger has it right. There is noise everywhere in Alaska. Try living out North with the refineries, it is a fact of life. I had to crack up with her comment of living on the Kenai River and the noise. I had to wonder if you lived on the river you would be the complaining about them and want to stop motor boats? Or better yet, do you to fire up your boat and go fishing yourself?

I guess Liberal noises are on a wavelength than other peoples noise?

spwright 06/12/11 - 12:17 pm
Noise Solution

Sun 6/12/11
Believe it or not there is a total SOLUTION to this on-going noise problem.

ELECTRIC VEHICLES

Yes Electric Vehicles are the Future

Accept it or not, the days of burning fossil fuels & internal
combustion engines will be a Thing of the Past.

No Way ! Say It Ain't So ! Imagine a Alaska without
Big Oil ! Why that could Never Happen Here !

SPW "Airborne"

radiokenai
radiokenai 06/12/11 - 04:11 pm
Old SPWrong
Unpublished

Sounds just what I would expect coming from you.

motohed2
motohed2 07/04/11 - 02:26 am
Not much noise !

First off Mr.Barnard its not motorcross ! Its motocross. Second off the more I think about it . How can we call the USA a free country ? Third off I seen your little videos on youtube about the guys riding on Sunday and anybody can grab a camera and film something and say anyday they want . If it was Sunday and your Son or whoever filmed it is not a member they were trespassing . Lets do sound testing . I heard Some people from the track showed up at Mr Campbells house after a race and he didnt even know the kids raced. And also if the track closes there will be more kids riding up and down the trails along the highway and beever loop rd. And i will be there myself .

motohed2
motohed2 07/04/11 - 02:28 am
Liar

If Mr Campbell would have proved the track was illegal it would be closed ! Its not. So quit lying .

youngone33
youngone33 07/05/11 - 09:47 am
"Alaskans"

This is Alaska - not California! Most of us are "Alaskans" not wannabees.
We race dirt cars, we race motocross and we drill oil - we are not "Electric Car" happy. Oil puts food on a lot of our tables. We drill oil because that is our livelihood. We run dirt race cars and motocross because we are Americans that live in the land of the free. If you want electric cars, go to the lower 48 (and quit collecting our PFD's), and if you want noise free living, well, your out of luck - no where in this country will you find that! :)

spwright 07/06/11 - 10:26 pm
Save Your Comments

Wed 7/6/11
Do yourself a favor & save my postings about Electric Vehicles & your rants about being Alaskan & Big Oil.

20 years from now I will be Dead & Buried & there will be
Electric Vehicles used everywhere in the world.
There will no longer be a need for Big Oil because
the Human Race will finally learn that Big Oil is obsolete.

SPW in Sloooooooowdotna

motohed2
motohed2 07/07/11 - 03:22 am
Big Oil

Only 20% of oil goes into your gas tank ! What do you think most of the computer your using is made out of ? Your right about the electric cars . They probably will take over but we are from not needing oil . And there is electric cars now and if your not driving one . Your (SPWRIGHT) a hypocrit .

logdog
logdog 07/14/11 - 09:47 am
RACETRACK

The "noise" is definitely a matter of opinion because being a local property owner, I feel the "noise" is music to my ears. Imagine an area that still supports such an iconic American past-time! The sounds of horsepower and competition just makes me feel proud to be an American and I think everyone should support the freedom to have an opportunity to participate and/or enjoy attending such events. Stop the whining or move out to the bush!

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 07/14/11 - 10:52 am
Freedoms

Well! According to the Mercatus Center.The State of Alaska sits 44th out of 50 on an index of Personal,and Economic Freedoms.So! having complaints,and bugaboo about a race tracks noise should not be surprising.I know.I surely am not.Alaska is just not as open,and free as one is lead to believe.Hope!The racetrack outlasts the complainers. Oh!If there is any interest-www.mercatus.org

spwright 07/15/11 - 07:26 am
Lil Red Put-Put 7/15/11

Fri 7/15/11 Another Awesome Sunny Day in Alaska !
Well I just gotta respond to "motohed2"

No I do not drive a Electric Vehicle but I would IF I could $Afford$ one.

I drive a Ole Beater Lil Red Put-Put that at one time got
52 MPG when it was new. It's a Ford ASPIRE s to be a Car.
Also have a really old Chevy 1/2 ton Pick-Up that literately Drinks the Gasoline. That just sits & collects dust cuz it's
Too $Expensive$ to Drive.

To be Honest, I look forward to the day when all Vehicles are
powered by ELECTRICITY & the only Noise You will hear is the Tire Noise on the pavement. Just Imagine that !
& every Alaskan Household will be Energy Independent with
Wind Turbines or Fuel Cells to produce Electricity.

I will be Dead & Buried before any of this happens but It will Happen in the future.

SPW "Airborne"

lilypad444
lilypad444 07/15/11 - 04:39 pm
Good job Dennis. I think it's

Good job Dennis.
I think it's unfair to attack him for having an opinion, especially when it comes to his home which at least for me is sacred, it's my sanctuary. If I felt there was an injustice going on I would speak about it also. None of you are "right" and if you think you are right, and Dennis is wrong, then this problem will never be solved.