• Few clouds
    Few clouds

National debt a serious issue

Posted: July 15, 2011 - 9:57am

Obama is the name of a man who was elected to be President of the U.S.of A. Hating a person’s name and hating his ideologies are totally different things. At 79 years of age, there is not enough minutes left to waste them on hating a person.  I fully believe that in my lifetime there have been the greatest changes in the U.S. for any generation of people. Going from the bottom of a depression to see the greatest manufacturing country in the world, the richest nation in the world.

When I was young, there was no national debt, every person was equal, they all had no money in their pockets. Now we have 14 trillion dollars of debt and growing from giving billions of dollars to countries who hate us, to trying to supply money to people who do not work neither do they want to work. I’m very proud that I was never with out a job in my life.

The worst scenerio in the future will be the lack of food and necessities of life. Growing up on a farm, we grew all our food but now there are no family farms. All the farmland is owned by big corporations instead of hundreds of families making a living off of 160 acres of land. I predict there will be violence here just like happening in almost every country in the world today; no body will be safe. The News Media of today does not want the people to have information about the seriousness of the situation we are in. It is not like when my great-grandfather came from Ireland and settled in Southern Iowa to farm in the 1850s. By the way he was a legal immigrant and a strong Democrat as my family has been for many years and some still are. This is my personal opinion.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 07/15/11 - 10:26 am
I actually hate to say it but.....

I really feel that in about 4 more years this country will break out into another civil war when our whole way of life is taken away due to government incompetence. I know of illegal immigrants coming into the USA and collecting up to five monthly welfare checks from different counties, working for cash and paying only about $10 a month in rent for an apartment. Then the next year they bring back over a dozen other families to do the same thing. I also know of many families who feel that their job is to collect a welfare check and their numerous kids have that as their career goal also.

In a few short years the interest alone on our debt payments will be more each year than we are currently spending on our whole National Defense and this is while we are fighting wars on two fronts and paying the retirees and those wounded in the wars also.

It is time to cut all government agencies 10% a year and close up the whole Department of State and take away their checkbook. Then give all retired Congress people only the federal poverty level equivalent in retirement payments since they helped to bring on this problem.

The churches can take over all services rendered by Health and Human Services instead of sending $100,000 dollars worth of bibles to Muslim countries and then patting themselves on the back for doing so well. Don't they know that anyone who converts to Christianity will be beheaded in those places.

I think their are more than enough retired soldiers and current members of the military who will take up arms to get this country back on the right track once again.

Please don't vote the current crop of idiots back into office!

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 07/16/11 - 07:17 am
debt

Shut down all agencies that are no more than money pits-BATF,Just having this agency is against the 2nd Amendment.We have enough local,state,and federal laws to cover the BATF,s policies.The DEA another money pit(100,s 0f billions) for a losing cause.These past 40 years.That should loosen up a few hundred billion to start.Then get rid of the tax breaks for corporations,and wealthy.These are in the 100,s of billions.The job market has not improved under this program.It has gotten worse because of the breaks.Besides The tax payers-You,and I have to make up the shortfall.Tax breaks have to be paid for by someone.Oh! Yes! Quit spending money for a wall on the border.

spwright 07/16/11 - 08:27 am
Greatest Generation

Sat. 7/16/11
Mr. Morrison, Be Proud of the Fact that You are a Member of the "Greatest Generation of Americans" YOU have EARNED THAT.

But I respectfully disagree with your views about today's Generation. History will Prove beyond a single doubt that
the American Warriors serving in Iraq & Afghanistan are amoung The Very Best that America has to Offer in History.

I also am from a MidWest Farmer History & I can tell ya that it wasn't all Coming Up Roses Growing Up in the MidWest.
Farmers are famous for Working their Employees like Dogs then paying the absolute Minimum in Wages.Been There Done That.

I could write a Novel about Growing Up in the 50's & 60's
on Air Force Bases all over the World & the Racism in the MidWest & Deep South was So very Ugly.

So Yes there are many that waste so much time Hating Our President & believe that the End of the World is near.
Think of The Great Depression then WWII & about How Very Bad it was in 1942 & The Japanese were Killing Americans by the thousands all over the Pacific. The End of the World was near.

We will Prevail, This Too We will Endure.
There is a Future. We are Americans.

SPW "Airborne"

radiokenai
radiokenai 07/17/11 - 07:57 am
Unpublished

Yes, we all know you are still an obama hopey changey lover.

However, history will also prove...you are wrong. Obama sits right in the row of Jimmy Carter and George Jr. as one of the worst Presidents ever. Mr. Slickem Obama will get landslid this election, then we can start my repealing his idiot Health Care Plan and create one that makes sense.

You are correct however, we don't have to hate obama, but we dang sure better not elect that buffoon for another 4 years!

The fact that [filtered word] is in office today is a direct reflection of the intelligence of our society.

Kind of makes you feel stupid for voting for him doesn't it?

aksumfun
aksumfun 07/17/11 - 12:03 pm
Airborn;

I don`t recall saying anything about our current servicemen; My brother spent the whole time of the Normandy invasion moving troops and supplies. My two brother in laws were in the Pacific the whole time. I spent 28 month on a repair ship stationed in Japan between 1952 and 1955 during the Korean war.'
In Northern Iowa where I lived I don`t believe your comments about working people to death and not paying them. When I started H.S. in 1946 I got a dollar an hr working as a carpenter helper or doing farm work. The men at the local tractor factory were making up to about $1.40 an hr. It is amazing how people think differently about work. Today there are millions of people who do not want to work but live on drugs instead. I am sorry that you had such a hard time in the farming country as I loved it. Also got a good education from our schools in those days;
Thank You; Paul D. Morrison

soldotna54
soldotna54 07/20/11 - 08:05 am
Duck, Dodge and Dismantle Bill

How convenient that Don Young was too busy to vote on this one. He can dodge both the [filtered word]s and the Independents.

Too bad Warren Buffett is not running for office at least he has a clue. Or maybe he is too wealthy to be bought.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 07/20/11 - 09:44 am
Greatest generation?

I must disagree with spw "Airborne" on the "greatest generation." While not attempting to take anything away from our current soldiers, I feel that no body can come close to what those from WWII accomplished. They not only fought and won a global war to preserve and even enhance the freedom's we still enjoy to this day but with the help of the new GI Bill many went onto college and got their degrees and became educators, scientists and successful businessmen and provided jobs to millions of others. Some also became farmers and helped us "Feed the World!"

Now with the leadership of those presently in office the returning soldiers cannot even find a job and many are still waiting for their disability claims to be processed. But of course, those in office choose to duck and hide from addressing this awful situation.

The GI Bill home loan guarantee provisions also provided adequate new housing for almost all.

I am very proud to have served in the US Army and also with a man who went onto to become the Commanding General of the Central Command in the late 1990's.

msjinxie
msjinxie 07/20/11 - 11:32 am
National debt

Personally, this is like this: Altering in ANY way, the ceiling of the National Debt in this country, is like NOT knowing the balance of your checking account exactly, so you match up what the bank says you have, and try and cancel out the middle. Its financial suicide for any person to operate finances that way. WHY in the world is this any different? Its not. Obama has printed more money to offset the rapidly falling American dollar (Great change that was huh!), Now were talking of "adjusting" the ceiling on the debt because things just aren't balancing right? Give me a break. This president threatens to take us all down right along with him if we don't stand up NOW and say enough! IMPEACH OBAMA! ROSEANNE BARR FOR PRESIDENT! ROSEANNEARCHY!

jjtongen
jjtongen 07/21/11 - 11:29 am
National Debt

Mr. Morrison, I agree with with most of your comments; however your statement; "When I was young there was no national debt and every person was equal....." is totally false. When you were 13 (1945) our national debt was 120% of our GDP, Blacks, in the Southern states, sat in the back of the bus, could not eat in cafe's, sleep in white hotels and had separate public bathrooms. Men earned considerably more than women in the work place. Every person was not equal. The KKK was alive and well. Iowa was a great place to grow up on a farm, but if you were black and living in Birmingham, Alabama, not so equal.