• Broken clouds
    Broken clouds

Election time: give me specifics

Posted: August 8, 2011 - 9:40am

I am looking forward with a certain amount of disdain to the upcoming 15 months. It has already begun with Romney and others. We are about to be inundated with campaigns deluging us with Washington’s latest scapegoat — the blame game.

Elections are coming. Television will be saturated with political ads. Phones will be ringing with surveys on your feelings about certain candidates and issues. Flyers will arrive in the U.S. mail and by email. Recorded messages from candidates will interrupt your meals. I understand even cell phone users will not be immune to this invasion of privacy.

Some of the facts are that this country is further in debt than it has ever been. We have military serving all over the world at great expense to you and me. America is spending billions, if not trillions of dollars waging war against those who our leaders feel present a threat to our way of life. The nation’s credit rating has just been reduced for its first time in history. We provide more money to the United Nations than any other country. Unemployment in the U.S. is having a tremendous impact on federal and state funds. We are giving money to countries that are on record as not siding with us. The list goes on. Who’s to blame?  Although neither will admit it, both parties can take equal responsibility.

If my life has to be interrupted by political campaigning I want to hear specifics about what the candidates propose to get us back on track. Blame game psychology doesn’t work with me. Telling me that I should vote for a person because that person’s spiel says the “other” party caused this dilemma implies that I don‘t have enough intelligence to make my own determination. Terms such as, more money for schools, more money for jobs, etc, are nothing but ancient rhetoric. If you tout more money for jobs, tell me how those funds will be appropriated, where they will come from, and how you propose to use them to increase the job market. Tell me what your plans are. Where do you stand on Medicare, Social Security, and other entitlement programs? Give me some specifics, not general statements. Let me, the voter, decide whether you merit a chance in Washington.

spwright 08/15/11 - 08:18 am
A Direct Honest Answer ?

Mon. am 8/15/11
Yo Mr. Hill, Do You really expect to recieve a Direct & Honest Answer from any Candidate running for Office ?

These turkeys are famous for avoiding direct Yes or No Answers. I think they must have hours of Training on how to Avoid giving a Direct & Honest Answer .
Then when You state : You didn't answer my question, they immediately move onto the next person.

Continue to Give Em Hell Mr. Hill ! I enjoy hearing from You.

Oh suppose to get my 1st Social Security check this month.
Will see how that goes ?

Retiree SPW "Airborne"

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 11/10/11 - 11:43 am
Presidential politics

First of all, Steven you WILL get your SSI check this month and well into the future until Obama says he with hold them from us and also the military to teach the GOP a lesson meanwhile he continues to pay billions each month in welfare to those too lazy to ever have worked. Herman Cain has my vote right now and I don't see that changing.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 01/09/12 - 11:07 am
Elections

Folks, It is looking more and more like a Mit Romney versus the "Savior" Obama in the coming election. I am not sure I am ready for a "Mit" after we get rid of a "Barack." If their was ever a time for a 3rd party to field a strong candidate this is the year for it. However, then all you will hear is that a vote for them assures the election of Obama once again. I would just love someone, anyone, to come out and promise to end welfare and let the churches take it over instead of sending bibles to Muslims who would be killed for even looking at it. It would also be great if they would promise to run all bills passed by Congress through a shredder once they stopped pertaining to the title issue. For example, a transportation bill that went into nothing but pork barrel projects for the members of Congress to brag about in their reelection campaigns. And yes, I would love to support and vote for Sarah Palin since she would have about 600 people to keep her straight and advised on all issues in the White House alone.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 01/09/12 - 03:21 pm
Benefits

The government does have plenty of money for the SSI,and all other entitlement program payments.They just spend it elsewhere.If every employee in this country paid into SSI.We would have monies for many,many years.There are many Federal employees.Who do not pay into the program.I feel if every one had to pay.We would have Billions to cover the programs.The sorry people in charge.They are not going to give up their good thing.

spwright 01/09/12 - 10:38 pm
Reply 1/9/2012

Mon. 1/9/2011
"Raoulduke" In order to receive Social Security Benefits one must first pay into the System for a minimum of 10 years &
& EARN 40 Credits Minimum. Once that is Proven then a individual is considered for Social Security Benefits.

In other words Ya gotta Pay in order to Recieve.

Most Federal Employees are on the Supplemental Benefits System & they don't recieve Social Security Benefits.

Now What has any "Baby Boomer" & those of My Generation sincerely worried.
What is Congress going to Do with Social Security during the up-coming Debt Crisis negotiations.

There are no "Sacred Cows" this time. Everything & Everybody is On the Chopping Block this Time.

With the exception of the Super Rich 1% Billionaires ,of course
they will NOT be touched by any of these decisions.

By the way the 1st YaHoo that says Social Security is a
"entitlement" & a Give Away. NOT ! No Way is that True
That is EARNED Income ! Social Security & MediCare were deducted from My Pay Checks for the Last 50 Years.
ALL have EARNED that Retirement Income over a entire
Lifetime of Work. No One Gave Us that Income.

Thanks for Listening Retiree SPW "Airborne"