Texting and driving a dangerous combination

Posted: August 31, 2011 - 10:57am

Just in the last week as a passenger in our car, I have seen two different people in two different areas texting while driving. I truly believe usage of cell phones might have been a factor in some of the horrible accidents that have claimed lives.

People, please pull over to answer your phone or check a text. It only takes a few minutes and it just might save a life or two. The people I saw texting were an older woman and a teenage boy. Their vehicles were not staying in the proper lane.

I just realized when my cell phone rang yesterday while I was driving that even to try to answer a call while driving could be terribly dangerous. You take your eyes off the road and your attention is diverted just long enough to cause an accident.

No phone call or text message is so important that you can’t pull over and then see who is trying to reach you.

Please think of how many lives you might save.

Thank you for your attention.

northernlights
northernlights 08/31/11 - 04:51 pm
cell phones

This is so true, the sad thing is, people have become addicted to their cell phones. They have to carry them everywhere they go, and numerous times I am visiting someone and their phone rings, and they just have to answer it. Its so rude! I dont allow my kids or adults to interupt me when I am having a serious talk with someone, I ask them to give me a moment. but when it comes to phones they think they have to answer. I dont take them with me when I am shopping and visiting someone. Just like your home phone when your gone the person can leave a msg. Now its a must, its a must to text, its a must to answer. To bad, I am not going to change anyone, just needed to vent on how rude its become, not to mention the dangers of driving. One must answer their phone at all costs.

drudge
drudge 09/01/11 - 08:42 am
instant messaging

Just because you can send and receive messages instantly, doesn't mean you have to.

Your message isn't going to somehow disappear in the 2 minutes it takes to find a spot to pull over.

Please remember that there are countless things that can distract you while driving. Cell phones and texting are just the flavour du jour.

My biggest distraction on the highway is seeing every 3rd or 4th vehicle with no headlights or running lights on when it's pouring rain and visibility is bad.

msjinxie
msjinxie 09/01/11 - 08:53 am
Cell Phones and driving...its time

Alaska NEEDS to adapt what over 33 states already have. BAN anything but hands free cell phone calls and make it the LAW like most of the nation! Simple! Start counting next time your out, the many times you pass a car, are at a light, or in a turning LANE as some person yakking on their phone almost slides in too close to you because they are not paying attention. ITS TIME.....its not the roads, its not the cops, its not the wildlife people. Its US.....drop the cell phones in your purse or somewhere non distracting and DRIVE. Go back in your head about 15 yrs and you will realize that most of our "calls" are really not that important that cannot wait! Black and White to me...its time.

drudge
drudge 09/01/11 - 09:18 am
@msjinxie

Perhaps you should read this:

"As state legislators across the United States enact laws that ban phoning and/or texting while driving, a new Highway Loss Data Institute study finds no reductions in crashes after hand-held phone bans take effect. Comparing insurance claims for crash damage in 4 US jurisdictions before and after such bans, the researchers find steady claim rates compared with nearby jurisdictions without such bans."

A cell phone is just as distracting as tuning your radio, grabbing a napkin from the glovebox, talking to your kid in the backseat, or trying to read the bumper sticker on the vehicle ahead of you.

Enacting laws to punish cell phone use has quite the opposite effect: People will simply hold their phones lower, so they're harder to spot by anybody looking in. This moves their eyes farther from the road, which increases the chance that they're going to get into an accident.

Any distraction while driving is dangerous. A cell phone is a distraction, but it is merely one of hundreds.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 09/06/11 - 04:26 am
Stupidity

Talking on a cell phone .Would be more akin to taking anything from a glove box.Now! Texting is a whole different ballgame.It diverts one's eyes from all periphery by focusing on a small screen.Then using ones fingers to type.Doing so is STUPIDITY.You are driving.Get it!The only other problem is. These folks are probably allowed to breed.So! Stupidity is passed to another dimly lit torch bearer.

AKMaineIac
AKMaineIac 09/08/11 - 01:55 pm
I am always a little bit

I am always a little bit struck by the stupidity in our society. Firstly, that anyone, I don't give a crap how stupid they are, would "need" to be told that texting while driving creates an intolerable hazard and should simply never occur. I do not know of any way to make a person that stupid smart enough to go on living in the first place. Honestly.

Secondly, that anybody would not be able to discern a difference between carrying on a conversation on a telephone of any type, and "texting". I am certain I would not take any advice or give any credit to anyone who would text and drive a car at the same time. I am only slightly more inclined to listen to someone who can not see the difference between talking and texting, and driving concurrently.