• Overcast
    Overcast

Voting is a responsibility

Posted: September 5, 2011 - 9:33am

October 4th will be another general election.

It behooves us again look to the Declaration of Independence for guidance in the personal responsibility we bear making sure that this nation, in the words of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address "shall not perish."

We read that to secure our unalienable rights "... Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."  What does that mean to us?

Simply, we the people give those who represent us their power.  In essence we are in charge of the government.  We ask, "How is it that that I give power to those who govern?"

The answer is we vote.  We must exercise the power guaranteed to us by our founding documents. Voting is not a right or a privilege.   Voting is a responsibility for all who live in a republic such as America.   Voting must be exercised before it fades away.

The Declaration goes on to say, "... That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government ..."

Again we ask, "If I feel the government is destructive of my rights, how do I alter or abolish it?"

The answer is we vote.  At times we have difficulty remembering or understanding that altering or abolishing our government does not have to mean bloodshed.  We see the ugly things happening in our world and forget the true beauty of America lies in the simple fact that we have a system where we may routinely alter our government in a peaceful, bloodless manner.

We must vote so that we do not perish.

Yet we look at the last borough mayor election in 2008 and see that only 39.45 percent of the registered voters participated.

In school what grade does 39.45 percent give?  How can we, the adults in our community, expect our young people to achieve at a high level when we do not model civic responsibility?

As a community, are we willing to tell our young people that a failing grade is good enough for us adults?  As a community, is it not our responsibility to show that we take our Constitutional responsibilities seriously?

What can we truly expect from our children if we do not set a responsible example?

Please vote.

spwright 09/06/11 - 07:52 am
Voter Turn Out 9/6/11

Well I'm sorry to say that I live in one of the very worst
voting precincts in all of Alaska.
Senate Q House District 33 Kasilof
Soldotna Sports Center

During the last Primary Elections the Voter Turn Out was a terrible 11%.

Not to my surprize the majority of Alaska Residents in this area are UN-DECLARED INDEPENDENT VOTERS.

These residents actually believe that they are morally better than all other Alaskans & believe that they should NOT Vote.
They refuse to participate in democracy but still demand to
be heard. They want a Voice in democracy but refuse to elect
a representative.
& Yes they really believe they are Morally Superior to all other Alaskans.

They whine & complain more than any other group but still refuse to participate & Vote.

Well guess What, You don't Vote then You don't have a Voice or Opinion. You have given up your right to speak because you refuse to vote & participate.

SPW "Airborne"

witchwitch
witchwitch 09/06/11 - 02:07 pm
Voter apathy allows for hypocrasy...

Voting is a responsibility, if you care about our nation, community and society. The reason the politicians can tear down and simply ignore local ballot initiatives, hand out our money like drunken sailors to every special interest contributor and generally do what they choose without care for the voters they are elected to serve, is that they are elected by the very few who do vote.

Those who want special concessions will vote and will be listened to by politicians. If you fail to vote, you are giving away your right and are enabling those who have an agenda to tax and to rule you.

If you want change you must vote.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 09/07/11 - 06:29 am
Caring

I care for my Nation.I am fed up with the lies by ALL politicians.They are ALL self Serving.They are ALL rich.They usurp their position by selling their votes to special interest groups.They call it LOBBYING.I call it BRIBERY to get a vote to swing in the special interest groups favor.They are still paid by our tax dollar ,but they work for anyone that will give them more.I have found my vote DOES NOT make any difference.You can not rectify the problem by voting for the same people.They still have the same mindset.Which is to get as much as they can as fast as they can for themselves.When all the while They could care less about their oath of office.Has anyone heard of PERJURY?They have all committed the crime by taking their oath of office.LYING,STEALING,participating in GRAFT,CORRUPTION.Voting for the lesser of two evil's is still voting for evil.Sorry!I have served,and fought for this country,and I am ASHAMED of this FASCIST state.Corporations are pulling the stings of Political policy,Both foreign,and domestic.Which is Fascism.I refuse to have any part in this sham of a process.

spwright 09/07/11 - 07:24 am
Silence

Wed. 9/7/11

The SILENCE is overwhelming. Can't seem to hear the one that doesn't Vote but complains the most.

SPW

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 09/07/11 - 10:45 am
You have to vote!

Folks, This country has lost millions of young men defending and preserving your right to vote in a free and open election. To not bother to vote in a general election to to slap them all in the face and tell them their supreme sacrifice was in vain. I feel that if you fail to vote in two successive elections you should lose your right to vote forever. I also urge everyone to take the time to check out ALL of the candidates and them support the one who you firmly believe will best represent your values if elected. Do not ever make the mistake of blindly voting for one party over the other since they only want to remain in office for their own benefit.

I was on the campaign committee for Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura when he "shocked the world" and won over two favorite sons, Himphrey and Coleman. That election saw almost 50% of the polling places run out of ballots and had to xerox more to handle the crowds. I have been a member of an independent party ever since and we are making many further inroads now with all of the gridlock and posturing in our legislatures and their failure to deal with any problems so as to not offend a possible supporters.

witchwitch
witchwitch 09/07/11 - 02:01 pm
Why comment, if you don't vote ?!?

I can't understand why anyone would comment, if they admit to not voting.

I may not agree with those who comment, but if they claim that voting is pointless, their comment is nothing more than a frustrated act of futility... they have chosen to abide by the will of those who do vote and have conceded that their opinion does not matter in real terms.

If there is a single candidate running for an office and I don't agree with them, I will write in another name, even if it is Mickey Mouse. At least there is a record that the candidate in question has opposition (that's effectively a none of the above option). We have a voice and this is what makes representative democracy work.

The failure of citizens to become informed and vote is a greater problem than candidates who act in ways against the law or against the people. Failure to vote provide the opportunity for politicians to act in ways against their constituents. I have more respect for those who vote against my candidates and issues than those who don't vote.

Failure of the citizens to cast an informed vote (or any vote) is the basis of the greatest problem.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 09/08/11 - 08:52 am
just fed up

I do not need to explain my freedom of Choice.I did serve,and fight for the right.

drudge
drudge 09/08/11 - 09:47 am
Options

Option A: Corrupt Politician #1
Option B: Corrupt Politician #2

Who do you vote for?

I choose Option C: If I don't vote, I'm not supporting corrupt politicians.

There's an episode of South Park that addresses this issue, but I won't link to it due to the content.

witchwitch
witchwitch 09/08/11 - 07:27 pm
Not voting is clearly apathetic

If you truly care about the future of our society you would vote. An appropriate vote, if you believe that all candidates are corrupt would be a write in vote.

At least then a potential candidate would look at that and see that there are people who care enough to vote and don't like the candidates that run.

If you care about our community, become informed and vote, please.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 09/09/11 - 08:06 am
It's time for a "None of the Above!" to be on the ballot!

I just wonder how this country would change if "None of the Above" was added into every race. Who would of won Alaska's Senate Seat since no one seemed to like any candidate offered to them. If none of the above won then they would have to have another election with all new candidates to choose from. These new candidates wouldn't have the opportunity to campaign for a year and sell their souls to the special interests either. Their could be a weekly televised debate and that would be the only campaigning allowed. I would also love to see all candidates hooked up to a lie detector during the debate and it would give a loud "Beep" whenever it detected a lie. The the viewers could also get a musical interlude!