Reader: Call for transparency should be directed at CPH, too

Posted: October 4, 2011 - 9:02am

I just read the opinion page of the Clarion's Sunday edition. They are calling for transparency concerning a private corporation wanting to build an ambulatory surgery center in Kenai (Clarion, Oct. 2).

It appears our local paper has a double standard concerning health-care facilities. For years I have asked for exposure of the management style (bullying) at Central Peninsula Hospital. I have spoken to the Hospital Boards, Borough Assembly and written letters to the editor of the Clarion. The paper did print most of my letters.

Where was their call for transparency in the illegal firings of employees? Where was their call for transparency in the attempt to secretly work out a sale of our hospital? Where was their investigation on the knowledge I have concerning the bullying management style?

Today, CPH senior management is changing. It is my belief that the bullying management style has trickled down as acceptable behavior at CPH. Management may change but the bullying behavior will continue.

In December of 2009, Dr. Gary Namie (Workplace Bullying Institute) came to CPH to talk about and develop policies concerning workplace bullying. He told me he was encouraged on what was developed while speaking to management, employees and board members.

It is my understanding these policies were never implemented -- why?
Perhaps our local paper should start asking for transparency at CPH. They should investigate what ever happened to the anti-bullying policies written to keep our hospital safe? It appears the Clarion has a double standard when it comes to health-care facilities.

Norseman 10/04/11 - 04:52 pm
Your fired

Disgruntled ex employee continues to lament his ex job. I am sure I am not alone when I say we are all tired of a an ex disgruntled problem employee lamenting the hospital.

I guess every time the hospital makes the news, we can plan on a disgruntled ex employee crying about being fired from the hospital. Give it a rest ray, time to move on, we are all sick and tired of hearing about your ex place of employment. You were fired, deal with it and move on.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/05/11 - 10:13 am
The truth

My friend Norseman,
I thought you moved, perhaps next month. Please define disgruntled.

I was fired for talking about the workplace bullying by senior management. I believe the management style led to the murder/suicide in November of 2008. I wish the public would call for transparency about that.

I wonder why the surgeon who was on the hospital corporate board recently resigned.

Perhaps the underling bullying of surgeons led to their need to form their own corporation.

Either you are with the hospital corporation or against them. I found out what that meant when I exposed the truth.

I wonder if the surgeons need to start fighting for their livelihood.

Diane Fielden
Diane Fielden 10/05/11 - 11:56 am
My responce to Norseman/Southwell comments

I am in agreement with Mr. Southwell on this subject. I am sorry to say that I personally have witnessed and been a reciever of bullying of the Hospital HR divison and the past CEO. Although it was almost eight years ago, I know for a fact it is still happening to this day. Absolutly nothing has been done to stop it. Even after the horrible shooting rampage, the Hospital did not fully admit it was in part, responsible for that incident.
I am not a disgrunteled ex-employee. In fact I miss working at PCH everyday. I enjoyed my job and must say I was good at it. I was dedicated, on time and for the most treated respectfully by my fellow empolyees. Managenent on the other hand had and still has an atituded that they are above the daily worker, they believe to be above reproach. It is time for the administration to take a long hard look at how thier employees are being treated by thier supervisors and Human resoures dept. Maybe the New CEO will make that a priority when he or she is instated into the position. I hope so. I am proud of what CPH has accomplished and has grown. They have brought many good Doctors and Specialest to the Peninsula, but that does not make it right to treat an employee less of human being.

spwright 10/10/11 - 08:23 am
Audit ? 10/10/11

Mon.10/10/11
What ever happened to the AUDIT of the Hospital & the investigation of the Human Resources Dept ?

During the Union Vote issues, Hospital Upper Management did In-Fact Bully the Employees with intimidation & fear.

SPW "Airborne"

Diane Fielden
Diane Fielden 10/10/11 - 12:10 pm
What is it CPH is trying to cover up?

Why has the Hospital not answered any of questions regarding the matter of fair and just tratment of the staff workers. There has been nothing written to explaine why people are being treated wrongly. If nothing is wrong, why hasn't the spokesperson for the Hospital come out into the public and discussed this with the community. We are in fact the owners of this hospital, are we not? My understanding is that the Central Peninsula Hospital is a borough-owned, non-profit facility operated by a corporation, Central Peninsula General Hospital, Inc. (CPGH,Inc.) located in Soldotna, Alaska. The Hospital is administered by CPGH, Inc. and operates through a Lease and Operating Agreement with the Kenai Peninsula Borough. Does that not mean we the tax payers of the Borough are the owners. Maybe one of the owners needs to look into this matter, and report back to the community just what is happening inside the workings of our local hospital.