• Overcast, light rain
    Overcast, light rain

Reader makes pitch for Navarre

Posted: October 12, 2011 - 8:26am  |  Updated: October 12, 2011 - 8:32am

If there ever was a reason to get out and vote in a Borough-wide election this Mayoral run off is it on Oct 25th. If you value education, value the future of the Borough, quality of life issues, please, please vote on Tuesday Oct. 25th or get an absentee ballot prior. Early voting is good. Conservative is one thing, ridiculous is another. Vote for Mike Navarre, a fiscal conservative, educated, can read and write, can use computers with skill, is able to communicate effectively and with good grammar, has the support of a broad spectrum of Peninsula residents, has excellent verbal skills, has served as a Borough Mayor, state legislator, business owner/manager and on and on. As our Borough Mayor, we could be proud — I say proud — to have Mike represent the Borough to the rest of the state and elsewhere.

Norseman 10/12/11 - 09:28 am
Couldn't agree more.

Mr Navarre is a proven leader who has, can, and will work very hard at representing our borough. I for one want to see our borough moving forward, not backwards. If Mr Sturman is elected, I fear we all will be moving backwards.

jimbob
jimbob 10/12/11 - 12:14 pm
Couldn't disagree more.

The problem in this borough (and the entire country for that matter) is that established professional politicians control everything by virtue of political patronage, massive money, pay backs, and outright corruption in some cases. In the case of Navarre, one would question why he wouldnt be content to run his many businesses, how he could possibly have the time and interest in running the borough? The answer is obvious. The power of the office will be used to benefit those in his circle of associates. I couldnt disagree more with the article. If you want real change, less borough government, no higher taxes, and a leader with integrity, vote for FRED.

Norseman 10/12/11 - 03:44 pm
illiterate

Fred is illiterate by his own admission. That may have been fine and dandy 50 years ago, but today we need competent, literate leaders like Mr Navvare.

If you had ever listened to any of Mike's diaglogs during this campaign you would have heard WHY he is running. Spend 2 minutes to research why he is running instead of inferring that he is corrupt.

You want an illiterate for mayor, then vote for Fred.

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 10/12/11 - 04:36 pm
Hey jb, are you saying that

Hey jb, are you saying that you'd rather have an uneducated, illiterate, inexperienced, proven failure in business management for mayor (Fred) than someone WITH an education, WITH experience, AND a success in business (Mike)? Here's a little wisdom for you: Poor people have poor ways. Fred is pandering to the un/undereducated and filling their heads (and his own) with delusions of grandeur using fear tactics as "campaign promises" in order to try and fool the foolish into making yet another mistake. Good luck in life fella, you have much to learn.

jimbob
jimbob 10/12/11 - 05:57 pm
Vitriol and Vomit

I hope a couple of the posters on this site got vomit on themselves as they struggled to come up with the most vitriolic and insulting remarks they could muster from their underdeveloped craniums against a solid honest candidate who is an upstanding member of this community. Thank you though for proving my point, it is time for change and a new direction in this borough. Of course some of you are bitter, the old way is passing and you fear losing. Most of us want new leadership, good stewardship of our taxes, and a leaner government. In order to get there, vote FRED.

witchwitch
witchwitch 10/12/11 - 10:47 pm
Vote Fred !!!

Those who oppose Fred stoop to using exaggeration and outright lies to scare people into promoting the status quo.

Fred has done more for this Borough as a private citizens than any of the stooges who attempt to inflict injury to the reputation of one of he most solid citizens of this Borough. His accomplishments are solid and stand as a tribute to his honesty and hard work.

Fred is a very successful businessman, has employed many people and has brought wealth and opportunity to this Borough through his good work. He has raised a family who also display ethical and moral behavior that many others lack, as revealed by many of these diatribes against a person who has stepped up to truly serve the public.

As far as some of the disgusting statements made in this forum, Fred's "poor ways" show that he has at least $925,000 in real estate holdings alone. This is public information I just found on the Borough's Assessment Parcel Search.

Those speaking about Fred in demeaning ways should take a look and consider why they choose to be "proud" at the expense of a man with integrity who is truly seeking to serve, and not self-serve.

Seek the truth and you may find it....

Few people have done more than Fred to help their neighbors and their community. Fred's integrity is beyond question.

Fred doesn't need to manipulate the political system for personal gain. I question why these people choose to vehemently attack a person, when it would be much more appropriate to debate his position on issues.

Are you on a witch-hunt, trying to destroy an agent for change? Is it because Fred is right?

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/13/11 - 09:33 am
Let me see-

Two of the above individuals I have had contact with. Marion Nelson who wrote the original letter and Norseman.

Ms. Nelson is on the Central Peninsula Hospital Service Area Board.

She whole-heartily supports senior management at CPH. She ignored the abusive management style at CPH and supported the sale of our hospital. After all, senior management is so educated, articulate, can read and write, and can use computers, who cares about the content of character of senior management at CPH.

Norseman and I have had years of dialog on this type of forum. He or she is very abusive towards anyone who attempted to expose the truth at CPH. Ad hominem attack after ad hominem attack against any and all who attempted to expose the abusive behavior at CPH.

Now they both support Mr. Navarre. Makes me wonder what kind of support is behind him.

I do not know Mr. Navarre. He is probably a decent man. He was highest bidder on a 4-H hog raised on my farm by a neighbor child. He seems to support the children in 4-H.

But with support of Ms. Nelson and Norseman, I just wonder.

KenaiKardinal88
KenaiKardinal88 10/13/11 - 09:51 am
Disgusting

Navarre is a career politician and failed businessman. His supporters are union lackeys and government suck ups.

If we elect him we will endorse another liberal idiot.

keeneye
keeneye 10/13/11 - 11:05 am
KenaiKardinal88

You sir/mam, do not have a clue if you think M. Navarre is a failed businessman, or a liberal idiot. I have known M. Navarre for a number of (35+) years. I can tell you he is none of these things you call him.
I'm not on here to endorse anyone. It's your own choice who you want to vote for. But to call him a failed businessman? how long have you lived here? Or are you just slinging mud?

robert white
robert white 10/13/11 - 11:28 am
borough campain

I find it dispectible that large $$ of a certain canidates campain contribution came outside the kenai peninsula borough!!

Norseman 10/13/11 - 11:40 am
vote Navarre

You are right ray, you and I go back a ways. I am and always will be against terrorists organizations such as the one you and general norm have put together.
Marion is a person that this community needs more of. NOT more militia members who are bent on destroying our community and country.
When ray southwell supports fred you know it is a losing combination.
Vote Navarre!

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 10/13/11 - 12:50 pm
@ kenaikardinal

Where do you find information on Mr Navarre's business acumen? From all indications, Mr Navarre has been quite successful in most of his business ventures. How do Mr Navarre's business successes compare to Mr Sturman's?

As for being a career politician, Mr Navarre has been out of politics for more than a decade. That hardly constitutes nor indicates a "career" in politics.

While I am sure Mr Sturman is fine man with impeccable character, I find very little in his bio that would indicate strong government leadership. Borough mayor is more than a one man job. It is the ability to lead an assembly and gain a consensus among its members. Without such leadership and consensus you have grid lock and a government stuck in a quagmire (see Washington D.C.).

But again, kenaikardinal, I am open to any information that supports your accusations. Please include specific sources and not hear say commentary.

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 10/13/11 - 01:59 pm
Let's try a different approach

Would you Fred supporters care to give some examples of Freds "successful" business management? Are you referring to his ATMs, or his vending machines? Other than that he has demonstrated NOTHING management-worthy. Fred has absolutely done good things for our community at the citizen level... which is where he should stay. No matter his "good intentions" it is naive at BEST for him or others to believe that he can implement a change in issues of things like taxation in the way he intends. Are any of you home owners? Have you ever dealt with the borough regarding your property taxes? I own multiple properties throughout the state, mostly in this borough. I have dealt with other assessing departments within the state and they all do it the same. Why you may ask? State law. Fred will have no more power to change state law than mayor mccheese at mcdonalds. These issues have to be taken up at a STATE LEVEL (finally got that one through my thick head after my third conversation with the state assessor). So if you believe Fred can do something about property taxes, you're as wrong as he is. Connected to taxes is revenue sharing. The state pays the boroughs based on what the boroughs are able to collect from their residents. Start messing with tax collection in the borough and the state will withhold funds, plain and simple. Gross sales are down... EVERYWHERE, not just here. It's one thing to say you're going to do something about this, but another entirely to actually DO something about it (look to barry and all his hopey changey tripe as example). Borough spending is up... so is my spending, so is yours. The cost of doing business and even living increases yearly (gas, food, electricity, etc.). While there are undoubtedly cuts in spending that can be made, what "power" would Fred really have over this? None. All in all, Freds campaign is appealing on the surface, but when you actually take a real look at what he's proposing these promises are hollow. These are all "issues" directly from Freds own campaign website. He is OBVIOUSLY in over his head. We can't afford to vote Fred

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 10/13/11 - 04:18 pm
Here you go again

Norseman,
Calling me a terrorist. I have clarity of understanding of the Second Amendment.

BTW- I, once again, just passed my government background check. They sent me a letter stating I can continue working as a nurse because my background is clear.

It is not my militia understanding that upsets you. It is my background on exposing the abusive management style at CPH that you are angry about. If you cannot destroy the message, destroy the messenger.

As far as Mr. Sturman goes-over the last few years I have spoken to him at the Borough Assembly meetings. He attends most if not all Borough Assembly meetings. Imagine that a community member spending his valuable time at borough meetings. He voices his thoughts frequently. He questions what is going on at CPH and rejected their sale of our hospital.

I was always taught, as a nurse, I will not know the answers to everything but should know where to look. I believe Mr. Sturman understands the same principle.

Perhaps you support Mr. Navarre because you fear what Mr. Sturman may do to expose what has been happening at our hospital.

When will you start calling him a terrorist because he has talked to me? Soon I expect.

spwright 10/13/11 - 07:01 pm
Mud Slinging 10/13/11

Thur 10/13/11
NONE repeat NONE of the Dirty Politics & MUD SLINGING
written above will do anything to improve the situation for the
2 remaining Boro Mayor Candidates.

Those NEGATIVE comments & Ugly Statements just give the
Un-Declared Independent Alaska Voter yet another
LAME EXCUSE Not toVote October 25th,11 & that's 75% of the Voting Age Residents of the Kenai Peninsula.
75% of 42,000 Peninsula Residents do NOT Vote.

October 5th I was bragging about how Clean & POSITIVE that
Election was on Oct. 4th. All of the candidates kept it clean
& debated the issues.

If You are a AMERICAN then YOU WILL VOTE
It's that Simple.

SPW"Airborne"

bluffbunny
bluffbunny 10/14/11 - 01:18 am
Mayoral Candidates

The letter attacking Fred Sturman was deplorable. I can't even imagine that Mike Navarre would approve such a demeaning, hate-filled and insulting letter from one of his supporters. Surely, his campaign does not need to resort to mud throwing and personal diatribes.

I would hope that those making such disgusting remarks, will find that they backfire. The writer might feel proud to have written such an ugly rant, but I hope most of us do not stoop to such a low level. Those hurtful words will remain in our minds long after this election is over.

I know Fred and whenever someone needs help, he is the FIRST to pull out his wallet and donate. He does not send them to some govermental agency- nor propose creating more governmental agencies, he gives his own money.

He freely gives time and money to help the local military folks who are fighting in foreign lands.

His campaign has relied on his own money and local folks for any donations, not the rich and famous living outside the Borough.

He doesn't 'owe' any political favors to special interest groups.

To imply that 'good verbal skills' and computer competancy are good reasons to vote for someone- look at what we have at the highest levels of the current government and ask yourself if those are doing such a good job.

If common sense, honesty, fiscal responsibility and basic decency are not good enough for someone to be elected as Borough Mayor, we are ALL in trouble. I would be PROUD to have him as Mayor.

Some of you say the Mayor can't accomplish the changes we need. Why not give Fred a chance to try. You might be surprised at how much he could do!

Please, if you hear others repeating this mud-slinging, I hope you will tell them it's not acceptable.

KenaiKardinal88
KenaiKardinal88 10/14/11 - 06:52 am
Navarre = Liberal Democrat

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 10/14/11 - 07:59 am
Please keep it civil!

Folks, It seems that some of you are getting your undies in a bunch in trying to slander a candidate in this Mayoral election.

It is my view that those who want to return to government feel that they were not effective the first time around but with their experience they can do a much better job of it. Unless, of course, they need a few more years to qualify for the pension program. We have all seen what you get when we keep on sending the same people back and I don't think anyone is happy with that.

Now as to Fred, many have stated that he has no idea of how government works and his ideas would actually hurt the borough. I am positive that he also understands that he will have a council to run his ideas by and also a legal staff to advise him....but ideas to change things should never be overlooked either.

But the main thing to remember is to get out and vote in this election since it is YOUR chance to have a voice in the government.

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 10/14/11 - 08:50 am
bluffbunny/kenaitardinal

Bluffbunny, I agree with you 100%. A campaign should be conducted surrounding the facts and issues. The mudslinging has no place in the betterment of our community.
Baseless, or unsubstantiated comments do nothing to help choose the next borough mayor.
Maninblack refers to Mr Sturman "as an uneducated, illiterate, inexperienced, proven failure in business management." But offers no point of reference or sources for his statement. As far as I can tell, Mr Sturman has done pretty well for himself and the community. After all, he is in a run off election for borough mayor. That in itself is an achievement and I commend him.
And then there is kenaitardinal who, just as maninblack, throws out unsubstantiated blather, but offers no source of information to support his statements. Give us a link to a website, tell us of a specific failed business venture or errant vote and then tell us where we can verify this information. Your statements do not automatically make your assertions true.
And finally, my old friend SPW who insists it is un-american to not vote. His intent is honorable, but the results can be horrendous. It is an Americans right to vote, it is our duty to cast an INFORMED vote. Anything else is simply playing roulette with our political system. If all we need is voters, it shouldn't matter WHO we vote for if we don't know the FACTS about what they represent.
Do your fact finding (using the press is useless as most media is biased ... unfair and imbalanced). Instead, conduct a search of the Alaska Legislative Record or the minutes of the Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly. There, you will find most (not all) of the facts and they are open to your own interpretation.
Congratulations to both of these fine citizens on answering the call to duty and for the sake of the borough, may the best candidate win!

Diane Fielden
Diane Fielden 10/14/11 - 11:03 am
Mayoral run off

This mud slinging is making it hard for people to decide on a candidate folks. Both of these gentelmen have outstanding credibilty as far as I am concerned. Mike Navarre has experience. Fred Sturman is a dedicated and informed citizen for as long as I have lived in Soldotna (23 years). I have sat at many a city council meeting. Some of these meetings have lasted until after midnight. Hour after hour, statement after statement. Fred Sturman has been to every single meeting I have attended. I can not say the same for Mr. Navarre, but that does not mean he is not informed on the issues. I agree with the fact that YOU THE VOTER has the duty to investegate, research, and be informed of both mens virtues and abilities. The horrible slandering and mud slinging is giving the young new voter a very bad influence on politics. We want our young adults to vote with a clear and true understanding of the candidates. How bad it looks to have all the rederic thrown around for any campaign, but Both Mike and Fred made it to a run off election. Do your homework people and help the young understand the way voting should be. A privilege, duty and a right of every American. All have their right to an opinion, but that does not mean slandering is ok. Let the voters do their job and we will all see how it works out in the end won't we.

ManInBlack
ManInBlack 10/14/11 - 01:57 pm
All I'm saying is

that Fred lacks any real experience or knowledge of/for the position of mayor. Yes, he's at every assembly meeting and voices his opinion, that's his right (but comes off as having more time than sense). He's also on 'sound off' every morning ... multiple times... talk about mud slinging... All he does is ramble and rant about how borough employees make more than oilfield workers and how he could run the entire borough himself... THAT is what appeals to you?!?!

He's a favorite of MANY of the other anti-establishment folks in the area (mike mcbride to name just one). He CONSTANTLY AND CONSISTENTLY displays his lack of knowledge of how borough/state/federal government work! Does it need to change? ABSOLUTELY! Will Fred Sturman be able to enact a change? NOT IN THE LEAST!

Listen folks, the issues that Fred "promises to change" cannot be addressed at a borough level. Vote him in as a Representative. Have him replace Mike Chenault or another if you want action taken on Freds issues. The Legislature is the place to start addressing the issues Fred is concerned with. If Fred decides that the borough needs to go against state law, be prepared for the repercussions, they will come at a great cost.

keeneye
keeneye 10/14/11 - 03:39 pm
muddy waters

By KenaiKardinal88 | 10/14/11 - 06:52 am

"Isn't it funny how liberals try and change their stripes. Mike Navarre is a liberal Democrat. His time in Juneau proved this beyond any shadow of a doubt. His supporters are vitrolic union leaders."

I believe you meant to type "vitriolic". Definition: Harsh, angry words. Sound familiar? Your attack on Mr. Navarre is nothing but vitriolic. Are you a union leader?

Norseman 10/14/11 - 07:00 pm
well stated ManinBlack

Well stated ManinBlack. Fred Sturman and debbie brown are both daily double regulars on sound off. He has ranted and raved now for years on this program and after listening to him it is clear he is not the candidate we want as a borough mayor. A good moral man yes, just not ready for prime time.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 10/15/11 - 07:04 am
Norseman, You sound like its

Norseman, You sound like its a terrible thing to voice your opinion here in America. It's people like you who are lead around by their nose ring and always vote for the same old tired politicians since you recognize their name that has gotten this country into it present situation. Just remember to cast another voice for your messiah, Barrack Nobama, maybe this time he'll really give you the change he wants for you!

Why don't you find out just why Navarre wants to run again,,,,,is he short a little on getting his pension or what?

KMarx
KMarx 10/15/11 - 07:08 pm
Shame on all of you for your

Shame on all of you for your personal (and largely unsubstantiated) attacks on Mike Navarre and Fred Sturman. I know both and consider both individuals of integrity. There is a clear difference between the two candidates, it should be easy to maintain a civil debate based on their respective platforms.

I believe Fred and Mike would agree that the comments included in this thread are devisive and below any reasonable standard of discussion.

KMarx
KMarx 10/15/11 - 07:08 pm
Shame on all of you for your

KMarx
KMarx 10/15/11 - 07:08 pm
Shame on all of you for your

Norseman 10/16/11 - 07:59 am
remember to vote

Vote Navarre for borough mayor.

Eaglerock50
Eaglerock50 10/17/11 - 02:42 am
Stop the Lies

Mike Navarre is as fiscally conservative as Barack Obama. All of Navarre's supporters are big shot Union types. I've lived here too long to tolerate a re-write of history.

Norseman 10/17/11 - 06:42 am
tolerate or else what?

Your quote, " I've lived her too long to tolerate a re-write of history" means what?

Does that mean you will move?

Does that mean you will do something to prevent a re-write of history. Be clear on what the outcome of your inability to tolerate Navarre being elected means. It kind of sounds like a vague threat.

Once Navarre is elected you will be happy that the majority of voters elected him.