Reader has questions for Sturman

Posted: October 20, 2011 - 9:25am

Throughout this campaign you have referred to all of the meetings that you have attended over the years and boasted that possibly nobody goes to more. Many who are involved know your history of showing up for meeting in protest of introduced policy. To this I ask: What board or committees have you served, to aid in the development of policy for our community? What elected councils, boards or assemblies? For instance: Fire Service, Hospital, City Council, HEA, Borough or School? What is your experience on volunteer committees? Such as: School Curriculum, Borough and City Planning, PTA, or any Community Issue Group? How about non-profit affiliations? Like: Food Bank, Hospice, Boys and Girls Club or United Way.

You and your supporters have crafted your image as:  enemy of taxation and spending. The truth is that you are often uninformed and frequently become involved only in the eleventh hour. You have created a name for yourself by being a disruption to process, but taking no part in what led to the construction of the end product. You have proven yourself to be a champion against many things ... but what in our community have you given your time to build?

witchwitch
witchwitch 10/20/11 - 11:33 am
It's a matter of perspective...

Being an activist may be considered "disruptive to process", when process is designed to ignore those whom it purports to serve.

Bringing issues before the people has been extremely disruptive for VECO and Cornell Corrections, when they successfully lobbied our state and our Borough to build a huge private prison on the Kenai Peninsula. Our community is better without this boondoggle.

Forcing term limits on the Assembly gives ordinary citizens the opportunity to serve. The fact that the people have voted FOUR times for term limits and that now Bill Smith was seated in violation of the last vote indicates to me that the current Assembly still does not get it.

Fred will be our servant, not our ruler. He will obey the law, not manipulated it, forcing the citizens into wasteful and expensive litigation. I want someone who will SERVE and not DICTATE. This is what is important to me.

Norseman 10/20/11 - 04:59 pm
great article

You hit the nail right on the head Scott. Great article and I couldn't agree with you more. 2 thumbs up!

Allen
Allen 10/20/11 - 05:18 pm
I don't get the point of

I don't get the point of Scott Griebel's letter. Is he saying you can't run for elected office unless you were elected or appointed to some other official position first? That doesn't make sense. Some of the positions that Mr. Griebel lists are not available to the average person, they are political appointments which usually go to relatives or cronies of the person making the appointment, rubber stampers or yes men. I don't hold it against Fred Sturman that he wasn't able to please some other politician enough to get appointed to something.

Is Scott Griebel saying that if you don't volunteer for organizations HE thinks are valuable, your volunteer time is worthless? If so, what a snob. I don't know about Mr. Sturman's charity volunteering, but I believe he has run for local political office before, and he is well known for his involvement with the Alliance for Citizen Taxpayers, including being a watchdog at Borough Assembly meetings. His volunteer work is just as important to me (and other Borough residents) as the work of volunteers for the local PTA, United Way, etc.

The number of charities on a candidate's resume is not the deciding factor for me, it's the candidate's position on major issues related to the job they want. Also, I find that I start wanting to vote for the underdog, the more they get attacked in letters such as Scott Griebel's.

witchwitch
witchwitch 10/21/11 - 12:04 am
Fred simply gets things done...

Fred's involvement in this community goes way back. His significant involvement with the Alliance of Concerned Taxpayers, who were forced to sue the Borough to enforce their Term Limits Initiative, has created many successful ballot initiatives and has several lawsuits in the Supreme Court, all because YOUR Assembly and Administration refuse to obey the will of the people.

He cosponsored efforts outside the ACT umbrella, with groups such as Peninsula Citizens Against Private Prisons and Alaskans for Grocery Tax Relief Now. These groups, facing extreme opposition from the establish politicos, including Mike Navarre. Fred's activism kept our community from being the Private Prison capital of the state. Fred fought to remove the tax burden on groceries from local residents, while that group continues to fight for your full seasonal exemption through the local court.

Fred works with the Red, White and Blue program, sending packages to our troops who are in harm's way. I have seen Fred contribute to many causes, giving money or providing space for meetings.

As far as influencing the "development of policy for our community", few, if any, have done more as Fred's involvement with the initiative process has changed the face of the community, enforced term limits on our Assembly which promotes public involvement, ended grocery tax, and the list goes on.

Fred's involvement hasn't built any monuments or ANOTHER Sports Center, as Mike Navarre proposed last year. There is a clear difference in perspective and if you want your government to float a bond for millions, raise your taxes and create more debt in order to build ANOTHER unsustainable project, then by all means vote for anyone but Fred.

However, if you want government to respect your voice and your views, if you'd like to return to a government that represents the people, I encourage you to take a look at Fred. This election provides those who want to see a fundamental change in the direction of local government an opportunity to do so, in a meaningful way.

fish4food
fish4food 10/22/11 - 11:14 am
What's wrong with just being a common man?

I have to say, I would like to think that if I wanted to run for mayor I could. No, I have not served on any boards or commitiees but I have run project and I know Fred has too. I have provided a good income with out having a college degree as well. I just learned a different way. He has leared the same way and runs buisnesses and has problem solving abilities that are aquired with that sort of background. I am glad he was there at the 11th hour when I was not able to be. That to me is where Freds service to the community shines. He push to save our dividend. That is public service if nothing else. I agree with almost all he says and I agree it is time to get someone in there that runs goverment like a business. As best as that can be done anyway. I have nothing against Mr. Navare either, we just don't see things the same way. That doesn't make him a bad person. But I will vote for Fred. I would like to think that a common person like myself could possibly run for a local office with out a big degree or having been in politics of some sort my whole life. I would like to think being a good upstanding citizen is a help to building a quality community as well.

Hmmm
Hmmm 10/22/11 - 01:08 pm
Passion vs. Effectiveness

There seems to be a misunderstanding here on the purpose of this article. The comments above want to discuss whether anyone should / could run. It's a free world and anyone can and should run, especially if they are passionate about the borough. But passion isn't all it takes to be Mayor. Like any job that involves leadership, it also takes skill and proven effectiveness. I think this article directly addresses that. No one will argue that Fred isn't passionate about the borough. The question is will he choose the right topics to argue and can he bring about effective change to those areas. That is what we need in a leader. Before I get the brunt of the next flame, I'm not saying that Fred doesn't have what it takes. I would have to agree though that he shows little experience in the ability to effectively change the issues he argues and that while he frequently likes to express his opinion (much like myself), he hasn't committed to any issue to the degree that he volunteers for a supportive roll. Considering his age, many people may see this as an old man's rambling so perhaps Fred just needs to show us that's not the case.

glacier98
glacier98 10/23/11 - 12:51 pm
Who could, who should

This shoudn't be a discussion about who can and can't run for mayor. That's established. Been a resident for a a year and have a pulse? You can run. (Think all the way back to Oct. 5th.) What we should be looking at now is which of the two remaining candidates have the qualifications to earn our vote on the 25th.

If a candidate's best quality is a hard core support group crediting their guy with the PFD, mother's love, and the sun coming up, and eager to attack anyone who doesn't share their particular reality, then Sturman will be the obvious choice. If inexperience and a lack of knowledge are reasons to hire the next mayor, and pop celebrity status built on polarization and vague answers is a strength, Sturman's the guy.

If experience and knowledge count, and focusing on the Borough's strengths rather than fanning the flames of percieved weakness moves us ahead, then Navarre is the obvious choice.

No doubt the ACT guns will be blazing these pages until Tuesday, taking down any targets real or imagined to their potential coup. Don't let that dazzle your real choice: use your head, forget Fred, he's gone too far, vote Navarre.

witchwitch
witchwitch 10/23/11 - 05:43 pm
Your disregard for the MAJOR ISSUE demonstrates your bias....

Glacier's exaggerated and flip comments, which replace the issues with personal attacks demonstrate the difference between the candidates. One comment that is glaringly false is that Fred is "eager to attack anyone who doesn't share their particular reality". More personal attacks from Team Navarre???

Fred represents CHANGE. Fred represents the PEOPLE and their WILL as expressed through many ballot initiatives and ballot questions, which candidate Navarre has chosen to oppose, ignore and minimize with the standard Borough line that the people did not know or realize what they were voting for. This position is clearly reflected in Navarre's campaign.

The strength of ACT is miniscule compared to the government employee's union support for Navarre, who are funded by a significant amount of tax dollars extracted from our economy and paid by every local citizen.

The sad fact is that the union support represents an effort to run our economy over a cliff because to give them more pay increases while currently deficit spending can only be accomplished through another significant tax increase for all local residents. Are you ready for ANOTHER significant tax increase. Navarre and the Borough Assembly is willing and able to do just that and then tell you it's because YOU didn;t support their proposal to end the grocery tax exemption, which would have also cost every local resident significantly.

Navarre supported repealing the local grocery tax exemption in order to give his union supporters more money. Where will this additional more come from now that the people overwhelmingly said NO? Elect Navarre and we will find out.

If you want both sides of the big issue represented at the Borough, Fred's candidacy deserves your consideration. If the issue is simply where to levy the next big tax increase and your decision is that the Borough needs more money, then Navarre will work hard to accommodate that side of the equation.

Fred doesn't suffer from a lack of knowledge. He's simply willing to consider both sides of the issue and does recognize that to continue the current Borough tax and spend policies by continuing to increase taxes are hurting local residents and are not sustainable in our local economy.

Our borough is killing the goose (actually geese) that lay the golden egg and more tax increases may actually decrease Borough income. There needs to be balance and Fred will bring that balance.

My vote is for representation for ALL. The only candidate that HEARS and ACTS in concert with the people is Fred Sturman.

glacier98
glacier98 10/23/11 - 07:41 pm
That screeching noise

Nope, not what I said. Didn't say Sturman was eager to attack, I said his support group was. Thank you for proving my point so quickly.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 10/24/11 - 10:04 am
Attacks

I hate to inform you glacier, that this is an important election and people feel very strongly in favor of both candidates and they will immediately correct any false rumors or put downs of their candidate! It should be obvious to all by now that Navarre has the support of the union employees of the borough mainly because they perceive him to give them all a nice pay raise at taxpayer expense and Fred just might put a stop to their almost automatic annual raises and return those funds to the taxpayers via lower taxes and fees. If you consider this an attack then we all know which side your on!

witchwitch
witchwitch 10/24/11 - 11:02 am
KPEA Union, Vote YOUR paycheck ads...

Terry Bookey placed a YouTube ad from the Kenai Peninsula Employees Association from stating, and this is a quote: "Vote YOUR paycheck, Vote Mike Navarre!". This is a documented statement that supports cheapersmokes statement above.

This paid political was ILLEGAL and APOC forced them to remove the ad. This ad obviously was intended to be viewed only by Borough employees. I'm anxious to see what penalty, if any, will be assessed by this rogue group (KPEA). Those who doubt or question this statement can call the Alaska Public Offices Commission (APOC) and verify my statement.

I'm not against unions, but I do believe that everyone should operate under the same rules. Taxpayers should be aware of what is happening in our Borough. Unions should operate their campaigning above the board, just as we the people are required to do.

I hope that people take the time to learn the FACTS and vote in this election. Documented facts support my position and I hope people take the time to learn the FACTS and VOTE. I'm voting for Fred Sturman because he's HONEST and will to STAND UP for the PEOPLE.

Kenai
Kenai 10/24/11 - 07:02 pm
Hypocrite

You're one to talk.
You're quite aware that APOC busted you for all of the illegal Fred signs you produced and installed.

"campaigning above the board" / "ILLEGAL" / "HONEST" / blah blah blah

witchwitch
witchwitch 10/24/11 - 07:56 pm
Can you be specific without namecalling ???

Specifically what was the APOC violation that Fred's group was charged with?

It's my understanding that APOC was served with a complaint that the "paid for by" was omitted on some of the signs. Our campaign did furnish pictures of several at the request of APOC and it's my understanding that there was a single display without the disclaimer. In as much as they say "VOTE FRED", this was a minor and insignificant oversight on only one of our "Berma shave" displays.

Many of our signs are locally made from scratch (cut from vinyl) and this was a simple oversight. That's much different than a union organization spending money and making a video without even registering with APOC and sending their stealth message to union members, telling them to "Vote your paycheck, Vote Navarre".

Fortunately, many current and ex-union members, will be ignoring Terry Bookey's message and voting for the best interest of ALL Borough residents by voting for Fred.

Call me what you like. What interests me is who we will call Mayor after the vote tomorrow. My money and my effort, in full compliance with APOC regulations, is on Fred Sturman for Borough Mayor, thank you.

Kenai
Kenai 10/24/11 - 08:01 pm
Rhetorical?

Why would you ask me what the complaint was, and then go on to detail it?

And anyone with a set of eyes knows it wasn't a single sign. I saw you scrambling all weekend to add the disclaimers. By the way, you missed a few. You're not even honest when you're caught red-handed.

It says a lot about just about everything else you say on here and SoundOff.

soldotna
soldotna 10/25/11 - 03:08 pm
Why are all the Union

People so scared by FRED?

I ask this honestly. If you have read this news paper for the last 6 weeks it seems like the unions and there people have down played and dismissed Fred.

I am honestly wondering why?

This is not a vote for Fred or anything I just see a trend and am wondering why?

soldotna
soldotna 10/25/11 - 03:09 pm
Why are all the Union

People so scared by FRED?

I ask this honestly. If you have read this news paper for the last 6 weeks it seems like the unions and their people have down played and dismissed Fred.

I am honestly wondering why?