Reader's doctor knows her best

Posted: October 26, 2011 - 8:56am

I am in a state of shock -- as a lot of you will be when you read this. I was in the hospital recently -- and after a long time I ask my nurse when will my doctor be here? She answered, She won't be coming. So now I ask why? Your doctor is no longer allowed to come to the hospital and see you or take care of you! I could not belive what I was hearing. She said they have doctor's hired per 12 hour shifts to take care of everyone. One doctor for all. Now I have a family doctor that knows me inside and out. When I am sick I want my doctor. She may visit as a friend but not as a doctor. The doctor on duty did come to my room about 2:00 that day -- tried to explain to me why all this had taken place, but to me, it made no sense. I told him you do not know me -- my doctor knows me from head to toe. So why have a doctor if we can not have her or him when we really need them? I have had my doctor since 1989. I want her involved in my health issues -- especially if I am in the hospital. How many of you knew about this? Please write to the editor about how you feel about this new practice. I am not saying their doctors are not good -- they just don't know me and my many problems. Please let my doctor come and see me when I am sick; like a child needs Mommy, I need my doctor.

soldotna54
soldotna54 10/27/11 - 05:29 am
More evidence of the

More evidence of the Insurance industries stranglehold on American Health care.

happyhere110
happyhere110 10/27/11 - 07:58 am
Hospitalist

We have had the hospitalist in place now for over 1 year. I feel your physician should have told you this when you saw them at one of your visits in the last year. That is what any prudent physician would have done.

LKinAK
LKinAK 10/27/11 - 10:40 pm
Yes the hospitalist program

Yes the hospitalist program has been in effect for well over a year. As an employee of the hospital I get asked the same question occasionally by patients who feel the same way you do, however research done since the hospitalist program started is showing good results with hospital stays being shorter, less extra problems (UTIs, infections etc) and it allows family doctors to remain just that. They have more time to see their patients in the clinic without worry that they'll have to reschedule patients in order to admit a patient at the hospital. It allows better care as there is one doctor communicating to the nurses and staff instead of a different doctor for every patient.

Norseman 10/28/11 - 07:53 am
disagree

soryy LKinAK but I strongly disagree. Trying to explain and tell us that it is for our own good is hogwash. I'll bet the brillant minds behind this one do not participate in this. They are the ones that when they get sick fly out to some other facility, or get to see their own specialsit or doctor.

Perhaps this model of treatment may work in the automotive field. One mechanic can run some tests and diagnose the problem, then send it to a different shop and let whoever is available work on it.

When it comes to human beings, we all shop around around until we find a doctor who we can TRUST that will do his or her best to keep us well. We should be allowed to have our doctor be our primary care giver if we have to go to the hospital.

Going to ER is a different story, but once admitted to the hospital, we want care by those we know and trust. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DavidHarding
DavidHarding 10/28/11 - 07:21 pm
My understanding is that

My understanding is that there are local doctors who continue to see their patients at the hospital. There are other local doctors who have become part of the hospitalist program. Contrary to Norseman's response for my own part I do not have a family doctor and have been very grateful of the care provided to me by the doctors on call during my stays. I found each of them to be very kind and considerate, and quick to build my trust.

While I understand that the reader may have built a degree of comfort with their own doctor I see no reason not to trust someone else in the profession simply because you're not as familiar with them. I'm also curious if they've discussed this with the doctor in question, and if that doctor had the opportunity to continue to see their patients at the hospital and maybe declined to do so.