• Broken clouds
    Broken clouds

'Occupy' movement benefits from strength of many ideas

Posted: October 28, 2011 - 8:48am

Contrary to Rush Limbaugh, Wall Street Occupiers are not ignorant Obama-lovers, Iran sympathizers, anti-Semites or lazy, frustrated hippies.

Occupiers come from all walks of life; at a recent OWS rally in Anchorage, I met protestors who are health care workers, teachers, laborers, students and soldiers.  I'm a retired oilfield worker, an investor, and I worship a Jew, Jesus.

I don't remember Obama's name coming up at all, either formally or informally and we didn't watch any grainy footage of Khamenei's rants.

As Occupiers, the two main things holding us together are our contempt for the death-grip Big Money has on our political system and our common belief that the game is rigged for the benefit of those who buy off our lawmakers and those who mold public opinion through their control of the media.

This movement has legs; The "General Assembly" decision-making method we use guarantees that everyone has a voice and that the strength of ideas -- rather than the strength of any one leader -- will propel us toward a more pure democracy.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 11/01/11 - 08:01 am
Media reports

SPW “Airborn,
You have read the media reports. I have been called a racist, terrorist, and many other names. The worst was when a friend called me a “Baby killer.”

All because of the media reports. How do I prove I am not a racist? I sued the Southern Poverty Law Center in Federal Court in the 90’s. They said I had racist connections. I do not.

The judge said I was guilty and must prove I was not a Racist. The Southern Poverty Law Center said “their source” told them of my racist connections. The judge did not allow my Attorney to depose the alleged source. Case was dismissed and the Southern Poverty Law Center continues to call people names freely and openly and the media continues to report the fallacy.

I do not believe I ever met Timothy McVeigh. The OK building bombing was a terrible tragedy along with the twin tower attack. I am not sure on who was truly behind the attacks but for the sake of argument let’s just say it is who the media has presented as the attackers.

I understand the nature of man. When people feel they are backed into a corner they often lash out in violent behavior.

We see it in abusive marriages. We see it in abusive work environment (CPH shooting). We see it in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I do not support any of this type of violence, but understand it is the result of perceived injustice. Have you ever wondered why so many in the mid east hate the USA?

So, with all that said how do I prove I am not violent?

the_postman
the_postman 11/01/11 - 11:29 pm
And one more...

Ray,

I think I would add one more goal -- one that you mentioned in one of our side-bar discussions; reinstating the Glass-Steagall Act. Though in the past, I have been an apologist for Democrats, I can't believe that Bill Clinton signed the legislation rescinding it. It set the stage for much of the chicanery we've witnessed over the last few years.

I don't know how to get these things done, Ray. I guess we need to work through the political process yet there is no way that our career lawmakers will pass this legislation for obvious reasons. Who -- except for a true patriot -- would support legislation that would spell the end of one of the best gigs they could ever hope to have? I don't see it happening. But we'll try our damnedest, I guess. That's what it's all about, anyway; the journey.... the fight.

Eric

the_postman
the_postman 11/01/11 - 11:45 pm
Work in progress.

Ray,

I'd like to respond to your post regarding Oklahoma City. I question why it really matters what a person may or may not have said or done years ago; through the grace of God, every morning we wake up, we are a new creation and what we do today and tomorrow is a lot more important than who we used to be and that's the only thing God holds us accountable for.

I can't speak for you but I've made a lot of serious mistakes in my life and I've been on the wrong side of many issues. I've learned from most of my mistakes. And I'm probably STILL making mistakes now that I don't know about but I'm trying as hard as I can. The important thing for all of us to do is to show some grace toward one another -- and to ourselves, as well -- let the past be the past -- and to move forward together and fix this mess. It's going to take the efforts and ideas of everyone from all over the political map to regain control over our government.

Eric Treider

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 11/02/11 - 03:29 am
Glass-Steagall

Eric,
I do not apologize for my past. My point was I have done nothing wrong. How can I prove a negative?

If I say to you, I heard you beat your wife? How do you prove that you don’t? Your words will not be enough. How do you prove it?

For almost 20 years I have understood this economic collapse we are in. It is based on our love for money. I stand against tyranny, past and present. The militia movement of the 90’s was spreading throughout the nation. I was one of the leaders at the time. In Michigan, we had thousands. After OKC Bombing the militia was shattered and I was blamed for the bombing.

Not new government behavior in history- Google- Hay Market massacre. It was far worse for those "Communists."

Now Glass-Steagall has been resurrected in the House of Representatives HR 1489. Senator McCain attempted to bring it back last year.

Here is what I suggested people do, back in June of this year. I wrote a letter to the Clarion-

Politicians from both sides have failed the American people. They act like they are different, they are not. Clinton did sign the repeal of Glass-Steagall. You have to understand what was going on, economically, at the time.

the_postman
the_postman 11/02/11 - 08:50 am
Glass-Steagall: what happened to it?

Ray,

Just to be clear, I wasn't seeking an apology from you about anything; I was just observing that it's counterproductive for people to spend so much time fretting over who said and did this or that many years ago -- every day, thanks to the grace of God, we are new people. The important thing is what are we going to do now?

So what happened to McCain's bill?

Clearly, you have spent a lot of time studying and reflecting on how our system of government could be improved. If you could start from scratch, what would it look like? Would there be a judicial arm, a legislative arm and an executive arm? What forms of checks and balances would it have? What would it look like?

The second question I have is this; the allure of power and the influence of money is so pernicious and pervasive, do we have any hope of regaining control of our government? Have the people lost complete control of their representatives? By their greed and self-interest and owing to how well the current power structure satisfies their selfish desires, are they rendered incapable of making the decisions necessary to restore power to the people?

What do you think?

Eric Treider

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 11/02/11 - 04:24 pm
Glass-Steagall

Eric,
McCain bill never got off the ground. HR 1489 in the House has about 34 co-sponsors. Remember, that is out of a possible 435. The idea has spread to Europe.

I believe we can take back control, if the people become united. I do not think it is possible nationally. My prayer is we can in Alaska.

We just have to study history and understand where we went wrong. The biggest mistake was forgetting the fallen nature of man. Self Interest always gets out of control individualy without checks and balances.

The founders understood. Today, many people believe we have evolved to a higher level and there are good people out there.

All people are bad and need checks and balances. I say all people are bad and sometimes bad people do good things.

Thanks for the ongoing discussion.