• Scattered clouds
    Scattered clouds

Reader disagrees with 'Occupy' goals

Posted: November 8, 2011 - 10:06am

After reading Eric Treider's "Occupy" letter to the editor (Oct. 28), I was compelled to do some research on the subject and found some very interesting facts that are not being published in the media. For example: Who is funding OWS, a supposed grass roots movement? By funding, I mean who is paying for the free food, Medical Care stations, The Occupy News Paper that is shown in every news clip? Google it and you will find the answer. You are judged by the company you keep!

Who Organized it? The primary organizers of Occupy Wall Street are radical left political parties and unions. All of them are collectivists that oppose limited government and instead want to increase government dependency. The entire Occupy Wall Street action is a distraction from the Obama Administration's and Democratic Party's failed economic policies resulting in even higher unemployment rates and more people dependent upon government, as evidenced by the recent record rise in the food stamp program participants. This is exactly why Obama intentionally implemented the first stimulus package and now asks for a second one relabeled the American Jobs Act. Both Obama and Occupy Wall Street are executing the Cloward-Piven strategy to blame the high unemployment on business and not the government in order to over load the system. Government is the problem not the solution. All the far left radical parties are advocating more government in the form of socialism and communism as the solution.

In his final paragraph, Eric talks about propelling us "toward a more pure democracy," to which I must remind him and all the other people in this country who ignore the Constitution and the principles on which the United States of America was founded, that we are a Republic, not a Democracy.

"Neither you nor I, nor would 99 percent of the farmers walk up and ring a man's doorbell, hold out a hand and say, 'Give me what you've earned even though I have not.' We simply wouldn't do it because we would be facing directly the violation of a moral law, 'Thou shalt not steal.' In short, we would be held accountable for our actions." -- James R. Evans, "The Glorious Quest"

Come on Patriots, don't sit on the sidelines letting them spew their propaganda twisting the truth about what's really going on in the country! Do your own homework, stand up and speak out before it's too late!

spwright 11/08/11 - 10:37 am
Scott Olsen USMC 11/8/11

Mr. Keller,
Now IF You Vote ? You have the right to speak your mind & opinion.

But You are so very Wrong in your opinion of the Occupy Wall Street Movement.

SCOTT OLSEN USMC & Iraq War Veteran & Computer Tech Employee was seriously injured while protesting in Oakland,California.
Scott was standing at attention beside a Navy Sailor that was displaying the American Flag then a loud explosion
& he is on the ground with a fractured skull.

You speak of Patriots, Scott Olsen is a Proven Patriot.

You Sir have been watching too much Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Hannity as they bad mouth the OWS movement.

SPW "Airborne"

Suss
Suss 11/08/11 - 10:53 am
Google it and you will find the answer

Not sure if Bill Keller is the one and the same, google Bill Keller + SOL; meet the Kellers. Or Joe Miller and Bill Keller. I would want all vets to get treated where they need it most, at home in Alaska. It seems some people got their government package all squared away. Don't want anyone else in their tent, "got mine, go away".

the_postman
the_postman 11/08/11 - 11:36 am
Who's supporting the Occupy movement?

Hi Bill,

Who do you believe is supporting the Occupy movement? I heard that George Soros provided some initial funding for Adbusters who first began the protests with a handful of people. To suggest that he is bankrolling the whole effort is incorrect. People are donating food and medical care to the different Occupations -- they aren't contracting for these services. You don't seem to understand the spirit behind the Occupy movement; the patriots who are involved in this thing are taking enormous risks and they're making big sacrifices to make this country better and that includes all sorts of gifts of food and service.

But even if George Soros was providing the funding for the Occupy movement, isn't it sad that it takes a rich man to clean up the messes that other rich men have made? Doesn't that prove Occupy's point that we simply have to get the money out of politics?

Eric Treider

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 11/08/11 - 03:12 pm
Occupy

I find the Occupy Movement to be the most active movement since the 1960's.People are high energy.They are demonstrating to show the government,an big business.ENOUGH is ENOUGH.I am sure glad that the present administration has not set up "FREE SPEECH ZONES" like the last Administration.I have always believed.Where ever my feet are planted in the boundary of the USA is a FREE speech zone.They are being allowed to demonstrate their
Constitutional Right.Hooray to the Occupiers.

Keller in AK
Keller in AK 11/08/11 - 04:30 pm
Occupy

SCOTT OLSEN USMC is in fact a true patriot, he has followed the order of his commander in chief and defended our right to be here today. While the unfortunate incident that you mentioned is true fact, it happened when the police were using tear gas and flash grenades in response to his fellow occupiers throwing rocks and bottles at them. While we have the 1st amendment right to free speech it does not include the use of violence ie: throwing rocks and bottles against the police or other's there to keep things for getting out of hand. As far as who I think is funding the movement: Just to name a few, they include the Communist Party USA, Socialist Party USA, Democratic Socialists of America, Maoist Revolutionary Communist Party, Worker’s World Party, SEIU, AFL-CIO and George Soros. Yes I do get my news from Fox, and The Blaze.com and am guessing that you are one of the 12 or so people that watch MSNBC.

spwright 11/08/11 - 04:34 pm
Response 11/8/11

Tue 11/8/11 Mr. Keller
You obviously have NOT viewed the tape of Scott Olsen & the night of his injury. He was No Threat at All to the Oakland Police. He was simply standing at attention. He was NOT throwing anything at the Police.

He is still in the Hospital & struggling to speak. Uses hand written notes to communicate. It is yet to be determinded if there will be permanent brain damage.

"You did this to My Brother" Yes there are many many MARINES & fellow Combat Vetersans that are sincerely
upset over this incident.

WHY would anyone be Stupid enough to upset a group of
battle hardened Combat Veterans ? Dumb Mistake.

SPW "Airborne"

cormit
cormit 11/08/11 - 08:55 pm
Occupy

It's always a pleasure to read a well researched letter to the editor. It is depressing on the other hand to read letters like this one from Bill Keller. Bill .... you so don't understand anything about the "Occupy" movement, It's hard to believe you would choose to put your ignorant thoughts in print. It's people like you that lack the ability to understand complex issues that have this Country so divided. Maybe put your pen away and do some serious reading .... not Glen Beck.

Suss
Suss 11/08/11 - 10:17 pm
SOL and the Kellers

From SOL in SOLdotna, Alaska

Friday, April 17, 2009
Meet the Kellers - SOLdotna's Tax Protest organizers

And yes you are known by the company you keep, Joe Miller your fav for senate that you pushed for till the end.

the_postman
the_postman 11/08/11 - 11:02 pm
Breakdown of Occupy supporters.

I just found an interesting article that goes into considerable detail concerning who has been providing support to the Occupy movement. I didn't notice any mention of Maoist/communist organizations though it looks like labor unions have provided some aid.

Though some people will automatically dismiss this information since it appeared in the Huffington Post, those with an open mind will find the article informative. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/occupy-wall-street-modest-help-left_n_1070329.html

As strange as this sounds, implementing the number 1 reform that Occupiers are suggesting -- getting money out of politics -- might actually save our nation from communism. If desperate Americans continue to have no voice in government, they could turn to more radical ideologies in the future.

Eric Treider

spwright 11/08/11 - 11:26 pm
Political Finances 11/8/11

Yo Eric, Well I hate to Burst Your Bubble but All is Lost when it comes to Corporations donating $ $ to finance a Political Candidate. Our Very Own Supreme Court has ruled that Political Contributions are a Freedom of Speech issue & now
Corporations can contribute any amount of $ that they wish to a Political Candidate. Hell No I don't agree with that but
Our Supreme Court has Ruled.

I can't locate the Most Up to Date info on SCOTT OLSEN USMC. Last info that I have is that He is in a regular Hospital Room & is listed as "Fair Condition" Still attempting to recover from a fractured skull & the area of the brain that controls speech is not functioning therefore He communicates w/ written notes.

Do You have a website that I can refer to about Scott Olsen?

Oh Thanks to Suss for that interesting info on Mr. Keller, that brings Light to the situation.

Thanks for Listening Retiree SPW "Airborne"

leewaytooo
leewaytooo 11/09/11 - 03:09 am
i will believe that

i will believe that coporations are "people"
when texas executes one.

cormit
cormit 11/09/11 - 06:58 am
Occupy

Here's a fair perspective of the Occupy movement. It's not about the left or the right. Watch.

Sack_013
Sack_013 11/09/11 - 10:03 am
Fox News

Hi Bill, I see that you mentioned getting your news from Fox News. I was just checking out their Monsanto cover up from back in 1998. They ended up firing Jane Akres because she refused to change the story that she found regarding bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in American milk. I'm not sure how much you know about that incident, but other countries refused to allow this because of the cancer risks associated with rBGH but was pushed through in the US anyway. This is what happens when corporations have more power than the people - they control the media, bribe the government and feed you lies. In this case almost literally.

Now I can only speak for myself, but I fail to see how taking a stance against this sort of corporate oligarchy is a far left, radical communist movement. It just appears to me that many folks who don't believe what they are spoon fed by Fox News are branded as 'liberals'. Although, to be fair, I am sure that the same applies with MSNBC and conservatives. This is a common tactic that keeps people divided, keeps them distracted from the real issues. It works great, too. Think about it - as long as people are focusing all of this time on the president's birth certificate, they are distracting us from the real problems: the same neoliberal economic policies that created this monster, or the fact that his administration has big-banker lobbyists working within it.

kksalm
kksalm 11/09/11 - 10:37 am
A symptom

Bill is a perfect example of how bad it is in America these days. He has his mind made up, he's right, and to lead him to the facts is a waste of time. I've already given him enough of mine but the sad fact is, he's not going away or will be coming around to any enlightened thoughts. A symptom of one of our country's 21st century problem.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 11/10/11 - 07:35 am
Divide and Conquer

Over the years I have seen the success of Government/Corporate control/Union corruption with their divide and conquer philosophy.

Who could disagree with the destruction of our Constitution through distortion of the media? We think there is a difference between the Democratic and Republican parties or Fox News and CNN. They are one and the same.

Both Eric Treider and Bill Keller recognize something is awry in the USA, We must realize the people are at risk of losing what is left of our Freedom and Liberty. We can ignore the facts and stay divided or come together for our posterity. The future is our choice.

The Master understands how to keep us divided. Research slave owner Willie Lynch of the 1700’s.
(see –

He taught the slave owners how to control their “property” without lifting a finger. Focus on their differences and keep them fighting among themselves.

Understand the Willie Lynch principle of slave ownership and you will understand how we are kept slaves under this Constitutional Republic that has become a Democracy.

This division is how the masser keeps us enslaved.

trevorkauffman
trevorkauffman 11/10/11 - 09:15 pm
The goal of "Occupy"

There is a lot of speculation about the ultimate "goal" of OWS. Maybe it's telling of the rampant corruption and deception that seems completely pervasive in our political environment, but whenever a movement starts, a lot of people (myself included) are skeptical from the outset, asking questions like "Who is REALLY behind this?" or worrying that these OWS people MUST be completely deranged and RADICAL (gasp), because it seems rare that anyone else in our society is willing to do something as provocative as staging a public protest. So these OWS people must be anti-state, dissident, dangerous, socialist (the horror), bums, etc. etc.

But truthfully, this kind of sour speculation stems as much from paranoia and hopelessness as it stems from Reason.

Personally, the more I study OWS, and talk to some of my university friends who are back East, interacting within the spreading "movement" it has spawned, the more I trust OWS as a grassroots initiative, which is based in a lot of vague frustration (which makes it frustrating to interpret). Although OWS has not produced any solutions, or neat-and-tidy plans for sweeping, all-encompassing reform (as if such a plan might actually exist), this movement has shown a commitment to civility, honesty, collaboration, non-violence (well, so far), and co-operation with the Law. The only consensus, as a few others have noted, seems to be that the status quo is becoming more ABSURD every day.

The OWS phenomenon is certainly a unique event in American history, and I for one, feel pretty lucky to witness something like it (even though I also have to live through the instability/ general wackiness that has precipitated the movement).

I went to university in Philadelphia, and I was was fortunate to become acquainted with modern radicalism face-to-face, including a whole range of "leftists", anarchists, libertarians... even vegans and eco-feminists (not exactly the types of people I had a chance to meet growing up in Kenai). These are people re-inventing themselves after their ideals. Some of them are "crazy", sure. But many of the young radicals are activists, and a lot of them, especially in the anarchist/ libertarian community, are pretty sane, and are advocating (and actively creating) grassroots solutions to social problems (i.e. people helping themselves by helping each other), and not proposing top-down nationwide policy designed to forge some kind of socialist-utopia (eventually dystopia). This seems to be the flavor of OWS so far. It's obviously collectivist, but I don't interpret it as decidedly Marxist in any way. To me, it doesn't seem nearly that sophisticated.

Admittedly, my interpretation of OWS is fairly subjective, rooted in my experience with the ideological strains (and real people representing them) that I see as being formative in the OWS movement.. the "food-not-bombs" and adbusters types, among others. I could be wrong in my inpretation of OWS. But the point which I am hoping to offer, is that there are plenty of young radicals in this country who are not indoctrinated neo-Marxists, not advocates of totalitarianism, not scary, and who do not need to be perceived as dangerous or dismissed as a re-run of 1960s youth-rebellion.

When you take the time to contemplate the origins of our Nation, and the real Spirit of our ideals, you quickly see that radicalism, for better or worse, is in our blood.

So all in all, maybe a better question than "what is the goal of OWS?" is: how does OWS relate to our own community, and our own politics? So far, it seems like it's provided a great conversation piece for everybody, and perhaps inspired the "radical" inside each of us to get involved, organize, and lend our own energy to solving problems, instead of waiting for Uncle Sam to engineer policy aimed at doing it for us.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments here, and on the other OWS threads. Thanks for taking the time to read mine.

p.s. - I'm pretty close to NYC right now, I'm hoping to go look the OWS horse right in the mouth and be able to form an opinion that is truly my own, instead of synthesizing one from media resources. Pretty stoked on that!

AKMaineIac
AKMaineIac 11/12/11 - 11:46 am
Injured protestor

I haven't heard or seen any evidence of what the object was that struck Olson. It's premature, pejorative, and inflammatory to claim it was anything fired or thrown by police. I've worked protests as a law enforcement and private security officer, and participated in one or two at other times.

When things begin flying through the air, it's time for normal people to go home. There is no telling what elements within the crowd are going to do when things get even worse. Scott could have been struck by something the police fired. He could also well have been struck by something some moron in the crowd threw.

So, I'm personally not ready to condemn the police for Scott's injury. I am ready to say that had nobody in that crowd thrown anything injurious at the police, no tear gas or bean bags would have been used by the police that night. Regardless of the origin of the projectile that injured Scott, the responsibility for that lies with those in the crowd throwing things at the police, and Scott for standing around there when he could see that situation was headed south in a hurry.

Sack_013
Sack_013 11/12/11 - 12:39 pm
Try Again

If you type in Scott Olsen in YouTube the first video is really revealing. It doesn't exactly show evidence that it was a tear gas canister but it is hard to say that whatever it was did not come from the police. There is also evidence that when protesters tried to help him up, an explosive device was thrown at them.

It is hard to argue one side or the other. I guess it depends on how you feel about first amendment rights, when they apply, and what the definition of excessive force is. I know from reading history books that if protesters just went home because the authorities arrived and things got out of hand, we would not have an eight hour workday right now.

Oh yeah, we would also still be part of the U.K.

spwright 11/12/11 - 02:16 pm
The Victim is to Blame ? WT?

Sat. 11/12/11
I'm having a difficult time understanding your Logic ?
From what i just read You are blaming the Victim Scott Olsen for his Fractured Skull, now he can not speak & there may be permanent Brain Damage.

I also have had professional training in Riot Control & one thing the NCOs alway made sure that we understood You Never Aim a Grenade Launcher at or near a person's head.

Freedom of Speech & Freedom to Assemble
Repeat Scott Olson was No Threat at All the the Oakland Police. He was NOT throwing anything at the Police.
Scott Olsen had every Right to Be There.
There is NO HONOR to Injure Un-Armed Protesters.

SPW "Airborne"

AKMaineIac
AKMaineIac 11/12/11 - 08:54 pm
I am sure the investigation will yield more information...

than these comment page and the prejudiced view of the commenting...

No evidence has been forthcoming so far to indicate the source of the object that struck Scott. None. Nobody has said the injury is consistent with any object fired by the police.

It's early to be claiming anyone aimed a grenade launcher at the man.

This is inflammatory and premature BS. When the facts are known, then raise all the hell we need to. But until then all the hellraising is just inflammatory speculation that most definitely needs to be trimmed.

And yes, anyone at a scene where things are going to hell in a hurry needs to have situational awareness and wisdom enough to know when to bug out.

spwright 11/12/11 - 10:59 pm
"Bug Out " 11/12/11

Ya have to understand Combat Veterans & U S MARINES.
They don't "Bug Out" & run from a Fight, they move toward the fight.

IF this is investigated by a Independent source such as the
F B I then the results may be trusted.
If this investigation is by the Oakland Police Internal Affairs then the investigation will NOT be trusted.

SPW "Airborne"

liftit
liftit 11/12/11 - 11:17 pm
Something to think

Something to think about:

Sympathy is a strong feeling, one which is often used to sway indifferent or loosely associated people to side with a movement. Sometimes, people tie their feelings with one event into others, leading to them supporting a movement based on an egregious act that happened in association to the movement.

Do you think that this Marine getting hurt wasn't a part of the plan? Think about it... Innocent bystander gets hurt during an organized protest against "The Man". Does that not sound like something that would garner attention, and possibly sway some more people to the cause? I'm not saying Mr. Olsen was in on it. The fact that he was a Marine is just bonus points for the cause.

AKMaineIac
AKMaineIac 11/13/11 - 08:26 am
It's not combat

This was a demonstration, not a fight. The mentality of the demonstrators has been changing and this is not going to be a good thing. I don't know what they thought they were going to do. If they figured they'd just demonstrate for a few days, and the entire country would begin speaking Russian and go Socialist overnight or what. They figured wrong, and before this country turns into a socialist utopia the way the demands they've made appear, there's going to be a whole bunch of people hurt alot worse than Scott.

I don't agree that Scott being hurt was in any way planned or a set-up. I feel badly that he was injured, nobody should be hurt like that for simply speaking their mind.

However, the fact that he was "right" makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. He's just as badly hurt as if he'd been wrong.

He did appear to be on the wrong side of the barricade in the images I have seen... Not a hospitalizable offense in anyone's book, but a fact.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 11/14/11 - 08:20 am
Why was he there?

So you argue over who is at fault for Olson’s injuries.

Shouldn’t we argue over the issue of why he was there?

He received injuries but why did he take a chance to expose the corruption in the USA, Isn’t that what should be discussed?

Isn’t it more important- why was he there?

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 11/14/11 - 08:29 am
Fear of Comminism?

AKMainelac,
The fear of Communism?

I have heard this argument in history.

WWI General Smedley Butler was called a Communist. He served his country for 34 years in the US Marines and earned two Medals of Honor. At the time of his death, he was the most decorated Marine in US history.

When he stood with the “Bonus Army” in DC and stood against “US military adventurism,” he was called a communist.

We need to quit calling people names and look at the issues of complaints.

If we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat it. It appears you have not learned from history.

Jerry
Jerry 11/14/11 - 12:41 pm
One World Order Anyone

Lets start off with i don't do Rush other than him on Fox News.
My opinion on this Occupy deal is exactly what i said would evolve in America after OUR Prez. tried to be sworn but flubbed it & had a redo the next day with no Bible, i said this to many.

This Prez. will usher America into a Civil war or Revolution due to economic collapse & Governmental control to the point of declaring martial law so as to do away with OUR Constitution.

Most people don't realize that it matters not which party you vote for as every President & even Vp's are all related & have the same Family Dream Act of a One World Order.

Obama is kin to the Bush family, Clintons, Carter, Ford, Nixon & on & on it goes, even to the degree of being related to all of Endlands Royalty.

Lynne Cheney wrote of this in her book called Blue Skies, No Fences with alot of the info coming from the New England Historic Geneology Socities web site all roots of a Samuel Hinckley of Cape Cod who died in 1662.

Remember the Hinckley that shoot Reagan/non kin?
Hinckley is related to them all & Bush sr would have been Prez. if Reagan had died.

I do read the Bible though & it always interested me how in Revolation 13:16-18 says that a UNION MAN is coming & every one will have to join or they can't do any form of commerce during the Tribulation.

How could this be was my question back in 1978, & then along came the computer with all the answers for a Global control of all fiance of every one World wide.

Make no mistake folks this Occupy thingy is for a dividing of America for an EVIL purpose & it will happen just as Gods word says, any day now.

So which UNION will you belong too, Gods or Mans, its gonna be one or the other with eternal consiquences.

Norseman 11/14/11 - 02:07 pm
med's

Apparently someone has gotten off of their med's.