Our friends at Occupy Wall Street are misguided at best. They seem to think that the problem with this country is corporate greed, so they text, tweet,or email on their corporation produced cell phone to assemble and protest in the park, street corner, or wherever they feel they can have the most impact. If they really wanted to have an
impact, they should take their drums, signs, and tents to Washington D.C. where this business climate was created.
It was in Washington where the tax code was crafted that allowed corporations like GE to pay no income tax. It was Washington that allowed banks to become too big to fail. It was Washington that encouraged the banks, Freddie and Fannie Mae to make home loans to people who couldn't afford them. And finally, it is Washington that has put this country in peril with their addiction to spending money we don't have. Will we ever recover from this addiction? I think it is time for an intervention. Insist that the White House and Congress take the following 12 step pledge:
1. We admitted that we were powerless over spending Other People's Money (OPM) and that our country has become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that fiscal restraint could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to God and our constituents and to pass no law that does not equally apply to ourselves.
4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of the US Treasury, and have pegged our salary to our ability to keep our nation solvent.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and the US citizen, the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have the people remove us from office.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all people, businesses, industry, and institutions we have harmed and became willing to eliminate programs, regulations, and policy that no longer make fiscal sense.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take fiscal responsibility, and when we overspend, will immediately institute a balanced budget.
11. Sought through prayer and mediation on ways to improve our service to the US Citizen, praying for knowledge of their will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to state and local governments and to practice these principles in all our affairs.