A little consideration would go a long way on the road

Posted: December 28, 2011 - 9:55am

I am astounded at the inconsideration of drivers on the Peninsula. Lights on bright, following so close if I had to come to a sudden stop, there is no way the driver behind me would be able to avoid hitting me.

We are not in a big city folks; we live in "rural" Alaska. What is the hurry? Moreover, why must you kiss my back bumper with yours as we drive 55 mph? I have observed most people seem to ignore the speed limit and drive as fast or slow as they wish.

There are also many out there driving without headlights. I realize we are gaining daylight, however, just because you can see to drive doesn't mean the rest of us on the road can see you. By the way, your turn signal is for signaling your intention, not your accomplishment.

Come on people! Have a little consideration for fellow drivers. Maybe, just maybe if we all do these things there will be less chaos on the roads.

This is, after all only my opinion.

jlmh
jlmh 12/29/11 - 12:13 am
I agree. But if you must

I agree. But if you must drive slower than 55 mph for more than a mile or so, please pull over and let the traffic behind you pass. Although no one should, many drivers will tailgate and/or make up for lost time once they do pass. This creates a hazard for everyone. So if there is some reason you cannot go the speed limit, or if you don't feel safe going that fast (and the drivers around you do), then find a safe place to signal and pull over. No, don't drive on the shoulder and hope people will pass you; we might wish it were a double lane, but driving on the shoulder does not make it so... just make a complete stop. You'll be back on the road in no time, without irritated tailgaters behind you.

midnightalaskan
midnightalaskan 12/29/11 - 02:04 pm
Agreed

I am a firm believer in pulling over to let others who desire to drive faster than the speed limit, pass me. However, I do not think driving faster than the speed limit is safe, and it is illegal.

I am one who will drive the speed limit, I would like to drive faster, but that may not be a safe speed depending on road conditions. However, driving with consideration for other drivers is the key.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a major pile-up on the Kenai Spur which could have been avoided with a little common sense.

Drive slow and safe, use your headlights at all times, and
keep distance between you and the car in front of you. These safety precautions are all in the driver’s handbook.

grammy
grammy 12/31/11 - 06:19 pm
I am so tired of having

I am so tired of having vehicles behind me especially pickups who are tailing so close that you can't even see their headlights. I am sorry but I am not going to drive the speed limit on the highway on ice but I will drive what is prudent for the conditions of the highway.

jlmh
jlmh 12/31/11 - 07:22 pm
Let them pass

It sounds like you'd be safer just pulling over, grammy. I've had to do that, when everyone else was driving faster than I felt comfortable driving. Let those 4WD pick-ups with studded tires and a long wheel base pass you, since they are far less likely to slip, and can therefore drive faster than a little car with all-weather tires. No sense in holding people up if you can avoid it.

grammy
grammy 12/31/11 - 07:47 pm
I typically drive between

I typically drive between 45-50 mph but that doesnt seem to be fast enough for some people even on ice. I have literally had people pass with me going 50 on ice with a car coming in the other lane. The stupidity astounds me!

jlmh
jlmh 12/31/11 - 10:58 pm
It just depends

The prudent speed depends on the conditions. Not all ice is the same. Sometimes 55 mph is safe, and sometimes everyone has to go 30 mph to control their vehicles. Not all vehicles are the same either. But I think it's safe to say that if you are holding up 5 vehicles, it's time to pull over (and the law). And if you see someone passing despite oncoming traffic, it's time to Report Every Dangerous Driver Immediately (REDDI). Have a happy New Year!

akmscott
akmscott 01/01/12 - 12:41 pm
That's the problem grammy-you

That's the problem grammy-you said it yourself! 45-50 mph.

midnightalaskan
midnightalaskan 01/01/12 - 01:19 pm
The point is

people just don't get it. Just because you have a 4X4 and studded tires doesn't mean you won't slip and slide. In fact, if you drive in 4X4 all the time on the highway, your chances of losing control is greater.
4X4 is for getting yourself out of what 2 wheel drive got you into. Driving according to what is comfortable considering the road conditions is good sense.
If you feel comfortable driving at 45-50 mph, then do so. If you feel comforable driving 65, do so. But don't expect me to feel sorry for you when you are the one in the ditch. I just hope no one gets hurt because you are in such a hurry.

grammy
grammy 01/01/12 - 05:08 pm
Thank you midnightalaskan. I

Thank you midnightalaskan. I don't believe driving 55 mph on icy roads is prudent and safe. If others want to drive over the spleed limit then hopefully I won't see another car/truck in the ditch that had just hit someone else just like a couple of days ago, and another of my children won't be hit by another truck like my daughter did just a few days ago.

midnightalaskan
midnightalaskan 01/06/12 - 02:55 pm
You are more than welcome grammy

I do not understand how people can, in good consious make comments like the ones made in reply to my letter.
There are so many accidents that can be avoided by driving wisely.
I am sorry for your troubles concerning your daughter. It isn't right in my opinion that innocent people are hurt because others have no consideration.
Good luck to you.