CPH could use the competition

Posted: January 27, 2012 - 9:36am

Mayor Mike Navarre standing against the Kahtnu surgery center is outrageous. The mayor is supposed to represent the wishes of the people, even though not all the people have been allowed to all speak their minds in this matter.

It has long been the feeling among locals that if you get sick go to the hospital, but if it's really serious, go to Anchorage. Even if CPH has improved somewhat, it is a business, and nothing improves a business better than some healthy competition. And we need more choices of quality, affordable health care on the peninsula, period. I never heard of a town saying, "Oh no, we don't need any more doctors or skilled surgeons." I mean, really?

Allen
Allen 01/27/12 - 06:09 pm
What's the Borough Mayor

What's the Borough Mayor supposed to do - stand by and let the Borough-owned hospital get picked apart like scavengers on road kill? It's his duty to protest the Kahtnu plan, and it's good that he did it.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/27/12 - 09:21 pm
Allen

To answer your question, The mayor should have looked at the root cause of the problem.

It is clear he represents the business called CPGH INC.

Who represents the owners?

Norseman 01/28/12 - 09:30 am
owners

You ask, "who represents the owners?"

First we need to clarify who the owners are. The owners are those who pay borough taxes. Those that own real property pay the biggest share of taxes.

By your own admission, you do not, nor have paid any taxes for years, hence you are not an owner.

The mayor was recently elected so he does speak for the majority of voters.

The mayor, the assembly, the cities, the majority of people who pay taxes, all realize that it is NOT in the best interest to see a surgical center built by a private for profit corporation.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 10:14 am

For a minute I thought you were no longer reading my posts.

First, where in the world did you hear or read I pay no taxes?

You must be thinking about mega-corporations like GE who pay no federal income tax.

Second, your logic demonstrates your underlining beliefs. Only property owners should be voters. I bet you believe, only white men with property should be voters.

The mayor does represent the voters of the peninsula. He should represent all the people.

Norseman 01/28/12 - 10:29 am
First, where in the world did you hear or read I pay no taxes?

"...First, where in the world did you hear or read I pay no taxes? .."

Your own words from this article.

It states that 90% of your wages were being taken by the IRS because you hadn't paid taxes for 17 years.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 10:53 am

I just re-read the article.

Here is the entire quote from the article-

“Since April, 90 percent of his wages are being seized by the IRS for failure to file taxes, which Southwell hasn’t done in 19 years, he said.“I refuse to negotiate with them because I am nullifying what the federal government has done for decades to Alaska, to Alaskans and to people around the country,” he said. “…There’s no judgment, this is just a process they can do, and in what we consider the freest country in the world, they can just take your paycheck. Where’s the court order? Where’s the judgment? Where’s the jury? There isn’t any. My employer says, ‘Here it is,’ probably out of fear. Who’s going to question the IRS? So they take it.”-end quote

I pay taxes. I do not file.

Some stand on their beliefs regardless of the consequences. Others like GE pay politicians to get what they want. So where do you stand, on your beliefs, or buying politicians.

There is one other choice. Fear the corporate state and beg for mercy when they come for you.

Norseman 01/28/12 - 11:10 am
How do you pay taxes if you

How do you pay taxes if you havn't filed in over 19 years? You just send in a check that you think is sufficient?

I do not fear the corporate state coming after me. I am a law abiding citizen. You choose to not follow the law, then yes, The FBI and IRS will follow you. It is totally your choice but the don't cry about the consequences.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 12:19 pm

Who determines you taxes?

Our nation was established under “Rule of Law” meaning no individual , business or corporation is above the law.

Today, I can document our President,Congress ,Corporations and the IRS are above the Law.

Rule of Law states innocent until proven guilty. When the IRS states you owe them more taxes-you are guilty and must prove your innocence in their Tax Court. “Guilty until you can prove your innocence.” The IRS is above the “Rule of Law”

So, who determines the taxes you owe?

Norseman 01/28/12 - 12:29 pm
So, who determines the taxes you owe?

The IRS and my accountant determine mine.

I do not like paying taxes anymore than the next guy. However, I do like all the things that are provided to me, my family, my town, and my country.

Who else is going to pay for all the things our taxes provide? The militia?

Our country has laws that we elect people to pass. We as citizens can either obey the laws or not. That is your choice.

You are not above our laws. Neither is your militia. You don't like the laws of our country, then there are plenty of places you can move too.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 12:45 pm

Yes and if you have accountants like GE you do not have to pay federal income tax.

The foundation of our Rule of Law is based on our Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

So, do you believe only white men who own property in the Kenai Borough should have a say concerning our hospital?

Norseman 01/28/12 - 01:10 pm
I say if you PAY borough

I say if you PAY borough taxes, then you have a say in OUR hospital. If you are elgible to vote, then you can vote.

The mayor, the assembly both are 100% against the CON.

They are doing what is in the best interests for this borough. That is what they are in their for. When the majority of people feel they are not, then they do not get re-elected.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 01:23 pm

So, you believe only the wealthy who own property in the Kenai Borough should have a say concerning our hospital?

The Mayor and Assembly support the hospital Corporation.

Just like the US Congress. "Whats good for the corporation is good for the people."

Say, any idea on how much money the hospital corporation spends on non-productive payment to employees after illegal firings or unjust disciplines? How much money on advertising? How much money is spent on greasing the skids of politicians through financial support of such organizations as the Kenai River Sportsfishing Association?

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 01:38 pm

Oh, one more,

How much money is spent on attorney fees defending their illegal business activities?

Norseman 01/28/12 - 01:48 pm
southwell

property owners who pay their borough taxes. wealthy, poor, white, black, yellow, man or woman, young or old, gay or straight, religious or atheist, militia or non militia. You get my point or do I have to list every classification of peoples.

If you do not pay taxes then you have no say as far as I am concerned. Pay up or shut up.

Property owners are the ones who pay the lions share of borough taxes.

We are the one's who will see the mill rate go up if this center goes in. You who pay zero taxes will not be affected.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 02:02 pm

Do the poor own property?

The working poor, I know, can hardly keep a roof over their heads without help. They do not own property and therefore pay no property taxes.

According to your standards they have no voice concerning CPGH INC.

Jerry
Jerry 01/28/12 - 02:33 pm
Most probably don't realize

Most probably don't realize that CPGH owns all the outpaitient clinics locally, Kenai, Sterling, as well.
I believe they also own Homer & Seward hospitals, i could be wrong on that though.
My question is why would the Borough mayor try to restrict Free Commerce & tax revenue for the Kenai thats growing every day & could use it??
As i said before it sounds like a Money-opoly by CPGH to me, all aided by the mayor & a SELECT FEW, which is never a good thing when it comes to supply & demand issues, issues that affect over all $cost$ for the not select folks.

Ya'll should have used your heads and voted for Fred.
I bet Fred would be in favor of new commerce, tax revenue & public health for the Kenai.

Some times smart people outsmart themselves and hurt many with their GR8 political plans, and we just keep on letting them do it too us.

liftit
liftit 01/28/12 - 04:30 pm
Norseman, Must you constantly

Norseman,

Must you constantly follow around Southwell and argue with him about him instead of debating the issue at hand?

As far as ONLY property tax payers having a say, I strongly disagree with you. Those who need or may need healthcare should have the say, and I'd say that includes pretty much everyone.

I don't own a home or property, but I do rent. My rent money goes to out of state residents, and they pay the borough taxes with the money that I pay them for the property that I live on. Just because I've yet to buy a home, I shouldn't have a say?

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 01/28/12 - 06:29 pm
Jerry

For the record, I currently work at South Peninsula Hospital (SPH) since last June. They are separate from CPH. They have a similar structure as CPH. One big exception,SPH INC. board works with the physicians, employees and community members in a collaborative efforts.

I find it interesting that Independent orthopedic surgeons Dr. Krull and Dr. Ross (two owners of Kahtnu) made regular visits to see patients in Homer. Now Homer has their own orthopedic surgeon and Dr.s Ross and Krull no longer see patients in Homer. They supplied a need in Homer when it was needed.

I have talked with SPH CEO, Bob Letson, concerning cooperative ventures with CPH. He attempted with the past CEO of CPH and was ignored.

It appears CPH wants to control it all on the Peninsula.

JOAT
JOAT 01/28/12 - 10:08 pm
Everyone pays taxes

Hello? You guys are bickering back and forth about property taxes like a couple school girls. Everyone pays borough taxes... every time you buy something inside the borough. Check your store receipt after your next purchase. People from California and Texas are even paying our borough taxes. Maybe they should get to vote here as well?

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 02/01/12 - 01:16 am
pro bono

I know of a couple of people last year who used over 1/2 million dollars in services at CPGH with out the ability to pay .They are broke and in one case deceased and the hospital had to eat those costs.
My question is will the new surgery center be required to do the same percentage of pro bono work as ,under the law, the hospital must, or do they just get to skim the cream off the top and make the hospital do the heavy lifting?

rlevy
rlevy 02/07/12 - 10:27 pm
health care costs

Taxes are not the issue. Health care costs are. There are so many benefits to increased medical facilities here that any argument(s) that distract us from our health care issues are moot.

We have a great opportunity here to help every borough resident improve health care and health care costs by allowing all of us to have a choice in health care. This is what makes our country great, and many countries do not allow free market development.

Allowing CPG to be a monopoly is ridiculous. Everyone knows that hospitals are some of the most expensive places to go for non-major surgeries. Even for major surgeries, there are often many cheaper choices, as Anchorage has shown us with many thriving, privately-held surgery centers.

CPH has nothing to lose by suggesting and distracting us with increased tax threats and other irrelevant issues like operating room efficiency.

The fact is that any business that follows the laws should be allowed to operate. If you don't like a facility, don't go to it. Exercise your choice, just like you do with every business here, but don't prevent us from the opportunity to exercise ours.