• Few clouds, mist
    Few clouds, mist

To shovel or not to shovel? That is the question

Posted: January 31, 2012 - 9:22am

Is snow removal necessary ? After the last snow dump, just out of curiousity, I drove around my neighborhood to see how many of my neighbors make the time to do snow removal at their property. Much to my surprise, I found it was about half and half -- half make the time for snow removal half do not do snow removal. Many driveways had not been touched all winter long.

Many Alaskans believe that snow removal must be done, other Alaskans think it's a waste of time, effort and money and not necessary. Who is correct here?

Next question: is snow removal "man's work," and females should not be required to do the snow removal?

One thing I did witness that upset me: Grandparents in their 60s and 70s working hard at snow removal while the teenagers were inside the warm house playing video games or texting and not even a passing thought to helping with the snow removal.

Is snow removal a waste of time and money ? Is snow removal "man's work"?

This is a issue that affects us all as Alaskans, so I'm curious as to what people think?

jlmh
jlmh 01/31/12 - 12:29 pm
We all shovel.

I'm a woman and I usually do the shoveling. My two small kids go out with me in their snowsuits with kiddie shovels and "help," and afterwards we all go in and have hot cocoa with marshmallows. It's a tradition. My husband is more efficient at it, as men typically are, but I like to get it done in the day in case it freezes or really piles up. And yes, you can sometimes get away with packing it down by driving or walking on it, but you risk getting stuck or making precarious walkways that aren't easy to fix later.

I'm curious why you were peeking into the windows of elderly households to observe teens playing videogames and texting. Or was that speculation?

spwright 01/31/12 - 01:25 pm
Reply 1/31/12

Tue 1/31/12
Thanks for making the time to Reply.
I know Women that have never used a Snow Shovel in their entire lives & other Women that can Shovel Snow with the best of em.

I did witness a Elderly Woman shoveling Her SideWalks & I speculated on what the Teenagers were doing cuz my very own GrandDaughters will NOT shovel snow. They are obsessed with Cell Phones & I-Pods.

Enjoy this time with your Children cuz that will most likely change when they begin High School.

As I said before: I don't know HOW You would get by without doing Snow Removal ? You would Get Stuck in Your Own Driveway ? It's a Mystery to Me ?

SPW in Slooooooowdotna

Allen
Allen 01/31/12 - 10:24 pm
Your letter suggests that you

Your letter suggests that you think women and children are somehow getting away with something, or are lazy. Unless you've been in every neighborhood in Kenai or Soldotna, you shouldn't make assumptions.

I've seen lots of women shoveling snow, and teenagers and little kids too. In our neighborhood, teenagers sometimes go door to door and ask to shovel to make money.

We pay for snow removal as part of our property and taxes, so yes, the cities should do what we pay them for. Unfortunately, some years we don't get very good service, and this year in Kenai is one of them.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 02/01/12 - 01:37 am
My snow ,for years was

My snow ,for years was shoveled and cleared the day it fell or the next. Then the kids left home and that doesn't seem necessary anymore.

spwright 02/01/12 - 10:09 am
Reply Wed. 2/1/12

Beaverlooper, I've noticed that about Myself also.My Sons have noticed also.
Once apon a Time it was so very important to get ALL of the Snow Moved ASAP like in the wee EARLY Hours of the morning & It just HAD to be Done immediately !
Amazing how your Priorities change once You are Retired

Now that I'm Retired, its O K lets wait til the warmest part of the day & a couple of coffee breaks in the middle of that Task.

I'm very fortunate to have a Strong Young College Kid to do the hand shoveling & I use a John Deere Tractor w Snow Blower

It's still a Mystery to Me as to HOW other Alaskans get by with
NOT doing Snow Removal ? Why every time You drive your car You would be pushing or towing it outta the DEEP Snow?

SPW in Sloooooowdotna