Mom shares her expectations

Posted: February 16, 2012 - 9:36am

I am a mean Mom.

I make my kids make their beds. I make them brush their teeth. I make them put their toys away, or I take them away. I make my kids eat what they're given. My kids don't get to argue with me or complain about what I prepare for meals ... "get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" My kids are not allowed to waste food.

If my kids break it, they have to work off to pay to fix it. My children will learn the value of a dollar and how to be careful and not wasteful.

My kids aren't allowed to argue with other adults. They are not allowed to contradict or disrespect their elders. I make my kids hold the doors open for others and say "Have a nice day" to perfect strangers. I make my kids say "Please" and "Thank You."

My kids get disciplined if they act up in school. They get grounded and they get privileges taken away for bad behavior at school and at home. And if the occasion calls for it, they will get a swat on the behind.

I expect my children to respect me and my husband. My kids are not my friends; they are my children. I expect my friends to play nice and not tease or alienate other children. Intentional bullying is not in our vocabulary. I expect my kids to share. They always have the option to protect their "specials" but they have to respect when others choose not to share with them.

I expect my kids to love. I expect them to know that by my actions and words that I have their best interests at heart, always. I expect my kids to understand that I am not a perfect parent. I make sure they understand that I will make mistakes, I will be wrong and I will mess up. But I expect them to understand, accept my apology, and to be patient with me. Parenting is a forever learning process.

I expect my children to mess up. I expect them to forget the rules, to succumb to peer pressure. I expect them to make their wrongs right, and to learn from their mistakes.

I expect my children to make it to Heaven. I expect them to learn of God's Rules and expectations and I expect them to encourage their friends and to be an example to them. I expect my children to be a shining light.

I expect my kids to grow up in this world and come out on the right side of things, by taking my expectations and rules and applying them to their lives and lastly, I hope my children will one day call me and say, "Thank you, Mom."

KenaiTider
KenaiTider 02/16/12 - 03:21 pm
"Mean" mom

Kellie, I certainly don't think you are a "mean" mom (and I know you meant that with your tongue firmly in cheek). You sound exactly like my mom (I am currently 66 years old). Because of my mom, and moms like you, children grow up to be productive, contributing members of society. May God bless you and your family.

David J. Wright

bewildered
bewildered 02/16/12 - 06:00 pm
Sure wish there where more

Sure wish there where more parents like this in the world!

mean moms are us! Love this letter, and thank you!

northernlights
northernlights 02/17/12 - 09:40 am
Love it

Thats how I raised my three kids. They all tried once to talk back to me, never again after that. Respect, responsibility and to love and beleive in God has to be taught. I absolutely get disgusted when I see kids talk back to thier parents, and even hit and kick them. Without God, kids have no foundation. I am very proud of you with the wonderful morals and responsibility you are teaching your kids. You know, if you want a bed or roses, bend your back and dig. if you dont work you dont eat. There's great reasoning behind that scripture. The greatest forms of love is to teach a child how to control thier thinking, controlled thinking produces results. To many people talk and yap, no actions follow. We can't change the world, but one person can affect another, and that other can affect another. Our children can make a difference. Love has teeth in it sometimes, discipline motivated by love produces results. I respect you and the way you are raising your kids. No one can go beyond what they have been taught in life, the more one knows, the more they can believe. We need to teach others how to teach their own. People need to know the "how to's" in life. They need to know how to love and to control thier thinking, how to love God and how to love others. I hope your letter gets read by many.

kasilofdad
kasilofdad 02/17/12 - 09:40 am
We need more "Mean" mooms

Thanks you for this letter. I am sharing it with everyone I know and am posting it to my facebook page. I though you and I were in the minority.

cbeard
cbeard 02/17/12 - 11:36 am
What?

What is this article exactly, a big self-congratulatory pat on the back for a job assumed to be well done?

This just in, "MOM PARENTS KIDS!"

REALLY? STOP THE PRESSES!

You're not a better parent by inferring the shortcomings of others by writing a long, boastful soliloquy. It's usually the mothers and fathers who go off on these half-corked holier-than-thou tangents that make up a large portion of people who might find some basic parenting classes useful.

jlmh
jlmh 02/20/12 - 12:15 pm
Are you the same Kellie

Are you the same Kellie Schneider that was convicted on 2 counts of 3rd degree theft in 2005 and 2006, costing you $1,100 in restitution and fines? (Hint: if you were born on October 18, 1978 it probably is.) If so, I can see why you're fishing for compliments now. Work on your own cleptomania problems before telling the world how to raise kids.

BCKenai
BCKenai 02/21/12 - 09:53 pm
SO you're perfect?

Whoa there jlmh! We all make mistakes. Some folks change for the good and are sorry for their actions...like Kellie. Wish I had a crystal ball to look into your life....

jlmh
jlmh 02/22/12 - 10:55 am
Everyone makes mistakes, but

Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone commits crimes. It's kind of ironic to read advice on teaching kids how to "learn the value of a dollar" and be an "example," when she herself was shoplifting just a few years ago. Sheesh.